Build tool bug when rebinding left and right mouse keys.

SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
In the event you're left handed and swap the left and right mouse buttons in the keybind menu you can no longer use the build tool because whenever you try to select a piece to build from the build tool menu it just open/closes the menu.

Currently the only way to select items in the build menu is via the mouse button click, event rebinding the button to a keyboard button does not allow you to select build pieces in the build tool menu except by clicking the mouse button.

This never used to be a problem in previous builds, so hoping this can be fixed relatively easily?

Comments

• Uriel238Uriel238 Vacaville Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224434Members
    Yeah, recent "quiet" release started this bug, and I've not been able to play since.

And now it's released on Steam as 1.0. Worried devs will stop debugging before this gets fixed.
  • ShortzyShortzy Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235944Members
    edited January 2018
    Im having a similar issue but mine is when I try to build any "habitat" building. It allows me to build everything else but I cant build any rooms or corridors.

EDIT: My issue seems to be related to the habitats actually loading in. Loaded save from June2017 and they were just missing from there also. Will make a thread when I can. Having to wait a day sucks. haha
  • QuietTigerQuietTiger Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235900Members
    When I remap the left mouse button I lose the ability to select items in pop-up menus. For example, if I remap the right mouse button to Move Forward and the Left Mouse button to Right Hand, when I bring up the Habitat builder selection, I can't select any build options. Clicking the left mouse button just exits the selection pop-up. The program should override the mouse mapping for the left button when a selection pop-up is on screen. This has always worked until the release build. And yes that is me in my avatar. I was a commercial diver 1988 to 1991.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Try starting a new game Shortzy on creative and see if you can build the missing pieces there?

With most 1.0 releases older saves from beta/alpha often are buggy in many places, if they load at all.
    Silveressa wrote: »
    Try starting a new game Shortzy on creative and see if you can build the missing pieces there?

With most 1.0 releases older saves from beta/alpha often are buggy in many places, if they load at all.

I have tried that twice. i only tried loading an old save to see if it was happening in there also.

At this point I am just playing here and there, hoping it can get fixed. I figure when I build the cyclops then I can live without the habitats for a while. haha
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Shortzy verify your local Subnautica files in Steam. (Right click Subnautica, Properties, local files, IIRC)
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Shortzy verify your local Subnautica files in Steam. (Right click Subnautica, Properties, local files, IIRC)

Thank you.

I'm a dumbass. I have used this fix on other games, considered doing it, never clicked the button.

This fixed it, at least in my most current save. Really glad Im not going to have to start over again.

Thank you again.
    Some of us are still unable to use the Habitat Builder normally. So I'll go ahead and troubleshoot the problem:

PROBLEM: Habitat Builder Tool does not work properly: The Habitat Builder menu closes by the Right Hand control if it's keyed to anything other than Left Mouse Button (LMB)

TROUBLESHOOTING EFFORTS:
    ~ Verified Integrity of Steam Files
    >>NO CHANGE
    ~ Created virgin situation:
    --Turned off "Switch Primary and Secondary Buttons" in Windows>>Control Panel>>Mouse
    --Set Right Hand game control to Left Mouse Button (LMB) --
    >>LMB OPENS the menu on click and then CLOSES it on selection. Mouse-over functions normally.
    ~ Swapped buttons back in Mouse control panel
    >>Mouse buttons swap as expected (also in game)
    ~ Set Right Hand game control to Right Mouse Button (RMB)
    (Results presume natural, unswapped buttons)
    >>RMB OPENS the menu and closes it again. I can select from the Habitat Builder Tool with LMB build.
    >>This is the only way I can actually use the Habitat Builder Tool to build.
    >>Of course then I have to use RMB for all other right hand functions
    ~ Set Right Hand to another key (Keypad9)
    >>Key opens menu as expected LMB is still used to make selections on Habitat Builder Tool menu
    >>OTHER menus (such as the PDA menus only respond to LMB as well)
    ~ Set Right Hand game control to LMB
    >>LMB OPENS the menu on click and then CLOSES it on selection.
    >>PDA menu responds normaly to LMB (I can select tabs and items).

DIAGNOSIS: Assigning Right Hand game control to Left Mouse Button locks out use of the LMB for operating the Habitat Control Menu, which it does not on other menus (e.g. Escape Menu, PDA).

MY WORKAROUND: I've created a temporary key profile (using AutoHotkey) to make something reasonably comfortable. It sets the following controls:
    ~ Right Hand game control in Subnautica is set to the key |h|
    ~ LMB (for me, it's my right button, but that's moot) is configured to press |h| on keydown and release |h| and tap LMB on keyup.
    ~ Middle Mouse Button (MMB) and CapsLock are keyed to serve as LMB instead of their usual functions (sans |h|).

When I use the Habitat Builder to construct, I use LMB to summon the menu and MMB to select what component I'm building. Otherwise, I can use LMB to operate all my other tools and menus. That'll allow me to play until Unknown Worlds gets around to patching this problem. (Which still wasn't a problem until the "Quietly" update.)

If anyone else needs my AutoHotkey code, let me know and I'll provide it.
  • spyderskissspyderskiss Delaware Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236197Members
    Thanks for the great tips. I did some of what you said here and got my original save file uploaded and at least in that game my habitat builder is now working fine.
    Two things:

One, currently the RMB is the ONLY way to transfer consumable objects (food, drink, health) from the inventory to a storage device (such as a locker) without consuming it. As it is, LMB consumes. RMB transfers. Like the other controls, these should both be user-definable (in a config file if not in the game settings), even if LMB and RMB are locked to serve their current menu functions.

Two, my workaround fix doesn't work quite right. I need the LMB to do two things:

Assuming |h| is the Right Hand Action

On click: tap the LMB THEN tap |h|
    On hold: hold down |h| then on release, release.

That way the LMB works as it should for most menus and for Right Hand Actions (including sustained actions like scanning)

The AHK code I used is:

MouseHeld:
    HoldClick:=1
    Settimer MouseHeld, off
    Send {b down}
    Keywait, LButton
    Send {b up}
    Return
    ; ===
    ; ===
    $LButton::
    HoldClick:=0
    Settimer MouseHeld, 200
    Keywait LButton
    If (HoldClick<>0) {
    HoldClick:=0
    Return
    }
    Settimer MouseHeld, off
    Click, Down
    Sleep, 50
    Click, Up
    Sleep, 80
    Send {b down}
    Sleep, 50
    Send {b up}
    Return

This is a sloppy controller code to trigger separate functions on taps and holds. It makes inventory management with the LMB tedious (hence having alternative controls for plain LMB is useful). I'm sure it can be optimized.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I'm looking into this issue now. Is it correct to assume the desired behavior is that the RMB behaves exactly the same as the default LMB in all of the UIs when you've bound Left Hand to RMB and Right Hand to LBM?
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Yes exactly Max, or if you bind a keyboard key to function as left or right mouse buttons they should do so in their entirety. (I.E there shouldn't be any buttons forced to be bound to a mouse button for the controls to work properly.)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I have addressed the immediate problem where LMB will close the builder menu if you bind it to Right Hand (should be in the experimental branch tomorrow morning). I'll investigate the larger issue soon.
    edited February 2018
    @Max is the Rocket able to be built in Experimental now? Last I knew it was still borked (pre-v1.0 behavior).
    Yes the rocket should be buildable in Experimental now.
    Excellent! I'll download experimental mode and see if that fixes things. I'll be checking sometime Thursday.
    The fix works perfectly. Thanks for addressing it quickly!
  • Succ_sippSucc_sipp Georgia Join Date: 2018-02-12 Member: 237449Members
    Hey I have another problem where I am in survival and I have collected all the materials for the rocket launch pad and I try to construct it and all it does is make a sound (as in the button press sound) and doesn't construct. could you please get this fixed?
    Succ_sipp wrote: »
    Hey I have another problem where I am in survival and I have collected all the materials for the rocket launch pad and I try to construct it and all it does is make a sound (as in the button press sound) and doesn't construct. could you please get this fixed?

Make a new Mobile Vehicle Bay; there's a bug where if you bump it on it's way to the surface, it will break that Mobile Vehicle Bay. Only fix until patched is to make a new one. @Max
  • RadronRadron Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237524Members
    I'm on a Mac and can't use the Habitat Builder tool at all. No matter how I remap the Mouse buttons, when I click on the menu, it just shuts the menu down.

I only started playing after the official release last month. HELP!
    Radron wrote: »
    I'm on a Mac and can't use the Habitat Builder tool at all. No matter how I remap the Mouse buttons, when I click on the menu, it just shuts the menu down.

I only started playing after the official release last month. HELP!

Try Experimental branch: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Experimental_Mode
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Will I have to start all over again or can I play with my save games?

Switching to Experimental then back to Norma Survival mode worked! Thanks!