For how long were we passed out? [spoilers?] [s]Thread derailed, please close[/s]

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
This contains some information that technically counts as a spoiler, but since all of this is info you get very early on it isn't anything major. Thought it would be best to warn anyways.

So, when the game begins, we are knocked out by a metal panel flying around in the lifepod. When we wake up, the pod is filled with flames you have to put out. You can't have been unconscious for very long, as the fire would've either spread to the entire pod or sucked all the air out. Either way, you'd be dead. However, later we find out that everyone else is dead, but they didn't die right off. Instead, they survive for a while, dying one by one. So it seems like we've been passed out both for less than ten minutes and several hours if not days or even weeks at the same time. How is this possible?

I've been wondering this for a long time now, and any explanations I've come up with have been unsuitable.
Were we just the last one to abandon ship?
Possibly, but it is unlikely the difference between the launches would've been sufficient as everyone abandoned the ship more or less at the same time
Because the ship was shot down, it came down pretty quickly and there was no reason to abandon before getting shot

Was everyone alive at the same time, just not finding each other and we only picked up their signals once they died?

Negative. You can find any of the other lifepods right after you wake up, but they are all already destroyed. Besides, why would we pick up their signals only as they die?

Any other explanations?

Edit: apparently BBCode doesn't work in the title?

Comments

• RocketRocket Join Date: 2018-01-14 Member: 235036Members
    edited January 2018
    "Ojakokko wrote: »
    "Any other explanations?

Yes. You're overthinking things. It's a game. And it's a pretty damn good one.

So get over it. Get wet. Get wise. Get exploring. Build a base. Go on to greater things.

Just stop wondering if the game was ever something you wanted to play in the first place.

Because it's not. If it was, you would be too busy playing to post this kind of thread in the first place.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    Rocket wrote: »
    "Ojakokko wrote: »
    "Any other explanations?

Yes. You're overthinking things. It's a game. And it's a pretty damn good one.

So get over it. Get wet. Get wise. Get exploring. Build a base. Go on to greater things.

Just stop wondering if the game was ever something you wanted to play in the first place.

Because it's not. If it was, you would be too busy playing to post this kind of thread in the first place.

@DaveyNY is that you? Or just someone else who doesn't get it that nitpicking games and theorizing about it is part of the fun? Look, there's a reason stuff like the Game Theorists exist. I'm not nitpicking to hate on the game, instead just for fun.

Yeah this game definitely isn't something I'd like. That's why I have 100+ hrs on it. That's also why I have 166 posts in it's official forum (as opposed to your 26 - over six times more). That's why I'm an advanced user here.

I have been here for an year now. It's not that long, but still way longer than your twelve days. Don't come here insulting people who have been here far longer than you and telling them a game they love isn't for them just because they like nitpicking on games for fun. I know this all sounds elitist, but I'm only bringing all this up because you started insulting me. You brought it on yourself.

You're not into nitpicking games? Fine. Just ignore these threads and let us who like it do their thing instead of insulting them. Honestly, I have no idea why you would even bother commenting on this thread if you aren't into nitpicking and theorizing.
    edited January 2018
    Ojakokko wrote: »
    @DaveyNY is that you? Or just someone else who doesn't get it that nitpicking games and theorizing about it is part of the fun? Look, there's a reason stuff like the Game Theorists exist. I'm not nitpicking to hate on the game, instead just for fun.

Yeah this game definitely isn't something I'd like. That's why I have 100+ hrs on it. That's also why I have 166 posts in it's official forum (as opposed to your 26 - over six times more). That's why I'm an advanced user here.

Right.

Who the fuck (apologies to the company and the forum mods) is @DaveyNY? And why should any Subnautica forum user (aka - someone who plays the game) even care? My Steam gamer name is @Rocket. I paid for this game way back when the fuck I don't know. According to Steam, I have 229 hours in it. I'd give proof if Steam allowed it.

I really do remember back when I paid for the game in the first place. I came via a recommendation from the Ember forums https://forums.em8er.com/. I spawned into the game, found myself being slaughtered by some kind of slaughter fish, and stopped playing.

But I never stopped waiting. Or testing. And when they came close to release, I started playing again.

You do not belong here.

Right.

Who the fuck (apologies to the company and the forum mods) is @DaveyNY? And why should any Subnautica forum user (aka - someone who plays the game) even care? My Steam gamer name is @Rocket. I paid for this game way back when the fuck I don't know. According to Steam, I have 229 hours in it.

I really do remember back when I paid for the game in the first place. I came via a recommendation from the Ember forums https://forums.em8er.com/. I spawned into the game, found myself being slaughtered by some kind of slaughter fish, and stopped playing.

But I never stopped waiting. Or testing. And when they came close to release, I started playing again.

You do not belong here.

You do not get the point, do you? You come here on a thread that you are not interested in insulting the OP because you're not interested in it. JUST IGNORE THE THREAD.

As for @DaveyNY, you have seen him here abd replied to one of his comments. He is another user who doesn't, or at least didn't, get the point of overthinking games for fun. He, however, wasn't as hostile to people who like overthinking games as you are. For no real reason. Mentioning him was something of a joke, referring to that maybe he has multiple accounts.

"And why should any Subnautica forum user (aka - someone who plays the game) even care?"

He's an active forum user. That's it. No real reason to care, and you're making way too big of a deal about a small joke in the first sentence that has absolutely no significance to the point of the post. And why are you specifying "someone who plays the game"? Are you still on you "U NO PLAY SN!!11!!" thing? Did you even read my reply?

"You do not belong here."
    Do you not see the irony of saying this on a thread you obviously aren't intrested in? Just because you don't like overthinking games doesn't mean others aren't allowed to. I'm not the only one here.

I would ask you to get out of this thread as you obviously aren't intrested and are only distracting it, but I don't think this thread can be revived anymore. You managed to derail this conversation before it even started. Probably intentionally too. If you want a forum where nobody is allowed to like different things than you (eg. Overthinking games) go found your own one.
    Also, please close this thread. No reason to let a derailed thread go any longer.
    Also, please close this thread. No reason to let a derailed thread go any longer.

I don't think so.

You derailed your own thread. You must have been polling repeatedly, waiting for responses you didn't like. It's a game for fucks sake.

Let's allow this thread to die on it's own accord. I bet you can't.
    edited January 2018

I don't think so.

You derailed your own thread. You must have been polling repeatedly, waiting for responses you didn't like. It's a game for fucks sake.

Let's allow this thread to die on it's own accord. I bet you can't.

I can't let it die. That's why I asked to have it killed. Also, why reply "I don't think so"? I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the mods.

"You derailed your own thread."
    How exactly? I'm conscientiously overthinking a game, and then you come here insulting me for doing it when you are not intrested in it. You're the one that took it off-topic. Or are you claiming you were totally on topic with your insults and telling nobody should be on topic?

"You must have been polling repeatedly, waiting for responses you didn't like."
    It was the only reply. And I checked this thread once after over an hour of creating it, during which time you had commented. If I was constantly checking, why did it take me 33 min to reply? Your insults don't even make any sense anymore.

"It's a game for fucks sake."
    Then why are you so triggered about someone over-analyzing it? You're the one that started insulting. Bringing this up doesn't really make any sense.

By the way:

"Rules
    Behave politely at all times! So don’t post anything:
    which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
    for which you do not own the copyright
    which can be classified as advertisements, chain letters or pyramid schemes
    which doesn’t fit into the topic of given channel or thread"
    In game it states you were knocked out for 3 hours. During those 3 hours the most of people in the lifepods tried to get to the floater island. The rest were just crying as a creature knocked on the door asking for "a friendly cup of tea" Only two made it they later died. Lifepod 6 died because it had an idiot in it.

Three hours? That fire must be self-oxidating... Strangely well contained too. Had to click awesome just for seeing a comment actually on topic
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited January 2018
    Also rocket, please be nice to them. There are some people who do care, like me. Just because you don't care doesn't give you the right to be rude to people who are interested in knowing minor details.
    Also rocket, please be nice to them. There are some people who do care, like me. Just because you don't care doesn't give you the right to be rude to people who are interested in knowing minor details.

And nitpicking. When it comes to things like this, the less sense it makes the better. That's why I started wondering about how we are still alive despite the fire after 3h
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Player uses plot armor
  • vielviel Russia Join Date: 2016-06-02 Member: 217973Members
    I think, that the character regained consciousness because of fire, because of life threatening. There is no doubts about fire spreading speed, but about time it appears. The fire could start not immediately after impact, couldn't it? It might kindle from a short circuit in a panel with wires, which needed repairs subsequently. And it sparks, isn't it? ;)
    So... 3 hours. Hey, jamintheinfinite_1, I don't remember about 3 hours. Could you remind?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    You don't know when the fire started. Could be it just flared up right before you woke up.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Viel is absolutely right. The very fact that we did not suffocate in the fire proves that the fire did not start immediately upon landing, but let's say a few minutes before we woke up (and thus it could have been the very reason we woke up at that particular moment). With that out of the way, everything else is perfectly explainable within those 3 hours.

As we know, people in other lifepods did survive and sent out their messages/distress signals as soon as they were able... which did not have to be at exactly the same moment - some probably tried to plug holes in their pods first, some were looking out for predators, some no doubt needed a moment to calm down. That could very well be why we get some messages with such delay.

We need to add to this the technical difficulties with our own radio - we wake up after 3 hours, yes, but additional time passes before we gather materials for the repair tool and actually craft it to fix the radio. Within that time, other survivors either die because of their mistakes trying to make it to the rendezvous point unprepared, or - in most cases - they have their pods picked apart by local wildlife.

I'd say a little bit of creativity and a tiny bit of suspension of disbelief can go a long way for a story like that. :)
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    Everything with power seems to generate breathable air in subnautica, maybe the pod does too (hard to tell as it stays on surface) ? I know there is one which is loosing oxygen... maybe they were damaged enough to not have enough power too ?
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    edited January 2018
    About deaths in short sequence, there are also these "hunt" transmissions you receive much later in the game. Is their origin identified ?
    I would bet on the warpers hunting survivors down - but somehow the Degasi survivors do not mention these...
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll assume the egos have been put away and this thread is back on-topic now?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2018
    wow...

Even when I'm not around I get dissed.
    smh

Also, I barely have time for this account... never mind "several".
    B)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I thought it had been 8 hours we were unconscious. I'm doing a new playthrough, so I'll check it out.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited January 2018
    narfblat wrote: »
    I thought it had been 8 hours we were unconscious. I'm doing a new playthrough, so I'll check it out.
    Yeah it says 8 hours in like.. a whole bunch of the game's texts.

I can't explain why the radio messages are delayed, though. Kinda strange, but I've never been too bothered by it.
  • FearXIFearXI Join Date: 2017-08-21 Member: 232529Members
    I would think the radio has a back log and since it was damaged and we had to repair it the computer put them in a queue.
    So when we heard the messages they were already dead or dying.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    FearXI wrote: »
    I would think the radio has a back log and since it was damaged and we had to repair it the computer put them in a queue.
    So when we heard the messages they were already dead or dying.

My thought was similar, delay to messages due to malfunctions in our radio or the others. Maybe reduced range from the damage to our radio, or problems with radios interfering with each other.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I'd image in 8 hours the flames would have consumed all the oxygen in the pod and you'd have suffocated long before then though.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    I'd image in 8 hours the flames would have consumed all the oxygen in the pod and you'd have suffocated long before then though.

That's assuming the fire was burning the whole time. Maybe the fire just started and it's the heat and smoke that roused the player.
    edited January 2018
    The fire starting only before we wake up would make sense.

As for the radio delay, is there any correlation between the radio delay and the depth of the lifepods? Water significantly hinders the travel of radio waves.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    So you were just sitting there, nothing going on, no more damage, sitting in the ocean all peaceful-like and the pod spontaneously starts combusting...? Not like there was a major impact or anything that might have caused it.
    Ralij wrote: »
    So you were just sitting there, nothing going on, no more damage, sitting in the ocean all peaceful-like and the pod spontaneously starts combusting...? Not like there was a major impact or anything that might have caused it.

Others have said it could've been the malfunctioning electrics in the pod. A malfunctioning device could very well be "dormant" regarding fires and be a fire hazard without actually causing anything. The device can also be damaged in a way that it slowly damages itself more over time, becoming more and more dangerous, eventually catching fire due to some very small change. The moment it actually causes a fire is practically random (of course it isn't actually random but caused by some tiny change in the conditions, but for all intents and purposes in this context it's random). Think the Note 7 fiasco; it's not like they blew up in the factories. They caught fire randomly, more commonly in airplanes because lower air pressure increases the likelihood of it combusting (also the Dreamliner 787). It definitely makes more sense than us survivning eight hours in a fire in a tiny, airproof pod.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2018
    I'm still trying to figure out just what is in the Pod that fire would use as fuel to spread like it did...

It all looks like metal to me, except the benck/locker seat.

I suppose that could be some kind of burnable material, but it comes out unscathed when you get the fire out.

In fact, nothing looks scorched when the event is all over... so go figure...

The Extinguisher must operate in the same way the Fabricator does...,

Spray On ... All Better!

< shrug >
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out just what is in the Pod that fire would use as fuel to spread like it did...

It all looks like metal to me, except the benck/locker seat.

I suppose that could be some kind of burnable material, but it comes out unscathed when you get the fire out.

In fact, nothing looks scorched when the event is all over... so go figure...

< shrug >

Maybe the other side of the pod was filled with solid rocket fuel (solid so it wouldn't spread evenly to the pod) after we passed out, caught fire just before we woke up and completely burned away before we actually woke up? What do you mean, "that sounds farfetched"?

As for scorch marks, it'd have to burn completely cleanly (producing only CO2, H2O, N2O etc. oxides of whatever fuels are included), for which it'd need enough oxygen -> plenty of oxidiser (since we are talking rockets, liquid oxygen).

Then we'd have to explain how we survive in a pod filled with the gases from the burned fuel (many of them are dangerous) and high oxygen concentration (pure oxygen is very dangerous). Don't ask how, I don't know.

Ps.
    Sorry about bringing you into that whole debacle earlier even as a joke, you didn't have anything to do with it. I remembered you opposing game overthinking a couple times before, that's all.