1.0 on Oculus Home...performance worse than ever?

Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
Subnautica updated a hour or two ago. I can only assume it's 1.0. Performance is atrocious. Worse than ever. Bad frame rate, horrible stutter. What a let down.

Nothing is different, in fact it's worse. How is this a finished product?

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited January 2018
    The devs said that they would start working on the performance problems of VR and xbox after PC's launch 1.0, so now that's come you won't have to wait for much longer
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    edited January 2018
    That doesnt explain why 1.0 makes performance worse instead of better. Also, why are you lumping VR in with Xbox? There arent any performance problems, per say, in VR. The stutter, LOD switching and pop in are a universal complaint, not limited to VR. I'm not aware of a performance issue that's because of, or only in VR. You need a decent system or frame rate will be bad. The less than fantastic frame rate I'm referring to is observable in or out of VR.

Look at Steam forums. People are complaining, not just me, and it's not a VR issue.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited January 2018
    Possibly because it was Steam that updated, not Oculus Home.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    edited January 2018
    Skope wrote: »
    Possibly because it was Steam that updated, not Oculus Home.

Naw, like I said, Subnautica updated today. Unless there's a update other than 1.0, that was it. And it sucks. Backwards step with nothing redeeming about it. I can play it in desktop mode and observe the same horrible frame rate and stutter. I feel like pointing out too, it's the same game and same build as the Steam version. And same deal...you can play it in desktop mode, or VR. Some folks around here seem to think The Oculus version is a different thing...like Xbox. Most folks here don't even know what Oculus Home is :neutral:

It (might?) be a driver issue. Apparently people on toasters up to like..1050ti's are getting better performance than those on a 1080 or 1080ti.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    @Someonestolema02 I don't recall you posting your system specs, what exactly are they if ya don't mind
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    While my VR experience is not butter smooth performance-wise, it is nowhere near complaining about it. I get the occasional solid grey screen for a second every one hour of IRL play time or so, and sometimes the framerate drops enough that I can notice it. I have no objective FPS figures to provide, though, as in-game statistics are not available: while F1 panel does show up on-screen (no in headset), there is no mouse cursor - even with "report issue" window open - so no way I know of of switching to another tab.

Anyway, some specs:
    • Core i7-6700
    • 16GB ram
    • GTX 1060 6GB
    • SSD (old-ish intel 160GB)
    • Vive
    • Dual screen Full-HD (games appears fullscreen on one when running in VR mode, with very reduced FOV and a lot of subsampling)

Relevant SteamVR settings:
    • Allow async reprojection: yes
    • Allow interleaved reprojection: yes
    • Supersampling: 1.0x (native resolution, so no supersampling)

Game settings:
    • default "high" settings

Without reprojection, the performance is terrible (SteamVR meter shows about 50% of missed frames). But I believe this happens on many other games as well, so I had these on for a while. Maybe this is disabled (or otherwise not available) on OP's machine ?
  • Bam1500Bam1500 Plainfield, Il Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217363Members
    I'm playing 1.0 on Oculus as well, but it feels smoother than ever for me, I even turned up the Super Sampling 1.5x. Some occasional hiccups, but hardly noticeable. For what its worth, I'm using the new Dashboard Oculus Home beta.

I did start a new save file, I wonder if old saves carry bad legacy data causing performance issues?