Degassi base spawned in around my prawn!

HungryMakoHungryMako Tacoma, Wa Join Date: 2017-11-12 Member: 233959Members
I landed on a spire loaded with the Kyanite (I had been searching for 3days to find), and suddenly the proposed degassing base spawns in around me! My prawnsuit was immobilized and lost. I couldn't drill myself out, couldn't deconstruct the platform around me, nothing.

Why is it so hard to spawned in the terrain and buildings, to keep up with the speed of the vehicles?

You care more about how the sub charges batteries, but not at all about the world simply not being there when it should. I waste countless amounts of energy, food, and water, because of all the stopping to let the world load in. Because if I don't, I will (and have) run into a cliff that wasn't there, or get stuck inside the walls of the alien base, or have a platform bisect my prawnsuit, like some Star trek teleporter mishap.

I am running on the new Xbox One X, so the machine's performance cannot be blamed.

This detracts so much from the immersiveness. Because of this, I have been warning my friends away from the game when they ask.

Fix the important stuff before tinkering with battery charging, or model tweaks.

Seriously, devs do you even care?

Comments

• kirbyatemysoulkirbyatemysoul Join Date: 2017-10-23 Member: 233697Members
    the devs are not ignoreing proformance its somthing they have added fixes and tweaks twards in almost every update and since there are multiple people on the team some of them can put thier expertise to better use on gameplay balance while others work on proformance and still others work on visual polish.
  • SneakySharkSneakyShark Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221739Members
    HungryMako wrote: »
    I am running on the new Xbox One X, so the machine's performance cannot be blamed.
    Actually it's performance can be blamed because it is a CONSOLE, consoles will never have the power of a PC. Just accept that fact.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Actually it's performance can be blamed because it is a CONSOLE, consoles will never have the power of a PC. Just accept that fact.

Nah, eventually it will be optimized enough. And the XB1X is about the same as a lower-mid range gaming PC, and only lower-mid because of the spinny disk, instead of SSD. It's got an RX 580 with 12 GB VRAM, not too bad. The slow disk is a killer until optimization is complete, though.
  • powerful47powerful47 Join Date: 2017-12-12 Member: 234393Members
    What honestly should happen is if you are outside the map... or your vechiles center comes in contact with a shipwreck, alien base, or even a mushroom tree... after 10 seconds of you or your vechiles should be teleported out... or even a menu option that allows you to tell the game to teleport you(and/or your vechiles) to the nearest teleport destination(Basically the devs place teleportation destinations inside the playable area as safety net for in case of it getting stuck... And vechiles would consume the appropriate power that would have allowed it to get there, and can only be used for the vechile if within 20m).
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited December 2017
    All they really need to do is if you're in vehicle control. Warp to a biome cheat command should bring you and the vehicle along.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

This detracts so much from the immersiveness. Because of this, I have been warning my friends away from the game when they ask.

Fix the important stuff before tinkering with battery charging, or model tweaks.

Seriously, devs do you even care?

Asset loading is difficult for the Xbox, even the XboxOneX in Unity Engine.

As well as Unity not having the best streaming system (aka, none) Microsoft put in a 5400 RPM drive in both of those consoles. We were hoping for a 7200RM drive in the XBoxOneX, but they only upgraded the I/O to SATA3. So the Xbox in general suffers from slow I/O speed (reading data from the internal hard drive). We're doing lots of complex things to improve this situation, and Xbox gets the benefit of all our hard work on performance the most (with low end PC/Mac seeing it too). But it's going to take time to improve it, as we have to do a lot of manual work. I should also add, we have exactly the same issue with typical School laptops.

So yes, we do care. It takes time to do proper fixes as they must be researched, tested and only when working correctly without breaking anything else, deployed.

It really is a shame that it's so difficult to optimize a game on a console designed specifically for gaming. Regardless, you can definitely tell that improvements have been made. Thanks.
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    The game is still in early access, give them time. Having more power on the X doesn't just magically fix every issue.

It must be infuriating as a developer pouring their lives into a game, just to have random people who don't know a thing about making games come in and accuse them of not caring or doing their work.

You purchased an incomplete game, knowing full well it is incomplete and still being made, and then complained that it's incomplete and still being made...
    The issue is disk I/O, as has been stated. Physically speaking, there is a maximum transfer rate on a 5400RPM drive (based on the density of the data on the platters and rotation speed, and of course if the data is in different spots instead of consecutive blocks, add seek time to that number). You can have the fastest SATA connection ever, but the heads can only pull so much data for you at once - faster SATA helps, though, as any data stored in the drive's cache can be accessed at that speed. Caches are typically 32MB plus or minus, older ones are as low as 8 or less, but I don't think those are very common any more.

A common solution for Xbox speed problems is to use the USB 3 interface with an external hard drive. On a non-X model, even a 5400 RPM external can experience increased speed, as USB 3 is faster than SATA II. However, across the board, on any Xbox One model (original, One S, and One X) you can increase speed by using a 7200 RPM USB 3 external, or even better, a USB 3 external SSD (those are blazing fast, as they don't rely on spinning platters to pull data, and there is no seek time as heads don't have to move to different locations).

What you'll eventually see is probably normal performance in Subnautica, but perhaps increased load times due to having to cache a lot more? Either that or they get the streaming code actually able to handle the data (Obraxis said Unity streaming code is basically useless or non-existent IIRC).

Regardless of the method, it's being worked on.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited December 2017
    If I/O is the biggest issue on XBox, the terrain data should be compressed on disk. This would decrease bandwidth constraints considerably, at the cost of CPU and a small amount of RAM. On the One X, the beefier CPU would presumably be enough to offset this additional overhead.
    Racer1 wrote: »
    If I/O is the biggest issue on XBox, the terrain data should be compressed on disk. This would decrease bandwidth constraints considerably, at the cost of CPU and a small amount of RAM. On the One X, the beefier CPU would presumably be enough to offset this additional overhead.

IIRC they are compressing it, and the CPU can barely manage the extra load? The CPU in the One isn't all that great, it's an older-gen 8 thread AMD Jaguar chip clocked at 1.75 GHz (for the One and One S; the One X is bumped to a modified Jaguar running at 2.3 GHz, still not really impressive).
  • MasterBat23MasterBat23 Join Date: 2017-10-18 Member: 233602Members
    I just hope they fix the terrain loading issues in the next update, i lost 3 prawns because the map didn't load and i kept falling 3000 meters down and kept going, it was pretty scary lol. I finally made it to the Lost River (My favorite Biome) and the terrain won't load until i get really close, so close that my Seamoth got caught underneath the map. The terrain loading issues are hopefully top priority at this point, but i am still playing the heck out of it.