Title (Meeting the requirements)

ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
Playing on stable code number is 57637. The only thing that is keeping this game from running top notch is the graphics card recommended is now obsolete is there an alternative? I don't trust the ones that are still on the market. Possibly used or refurbished.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Wat. You want a graphics card recommendation? Do you just want something good for Subnautica, or games in general? Do you want to future-proof a bit, or do you not mind upgrading again in a year or two, as long as it keeps the prices down?

Do you only want AMD or nVidia, or do you not care as long as the card performs well for the price?
  • ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
    I want something that'll match the games I play subnautica isn't the only game that carries Nvidia. My amd care is Radeon 7400 doesn't meet the game requirements. The 550 ti is no longer on the market there are a few on amazon, and ebay, but I don't trust them, and I don't want it to destroy things in my computer like the mother board etc.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited December 2017
    Usually the recommended card for a game is the minimum requirement to play the game at reasonably high settings, you don't need to get that exact card for an optimal experience as long as its performance is at least as good as the recommended one.

As far as AMD vs Nvidia, both companies try to get games to advertise that they work better with one or the other, but in general it doesn't really matter as long as you have a decent card. In my experience, Nvidia has better drivers and less compatibility issues than AMD along with more power efficient cards, but sometimes AMD gives you a bit more performance for your money.

Putting a graphics card, even a used one, into your computer is highly unlikely to destroy anything. The power supply is another matter however, don't cheap out on those.

The 550 ti is quite an old card and that requirement was probably put up when the game started early access and will be changed for release. Since Nvidia is on their 10 series of cards now, the current equivalent is the 1050. Here's a decent one on newegg: link

The 1050 is fast enough for any game currently on the market and for the near future if you don't mind playing on medium settings. What kind of budget are you looking at for a card?
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Was running an R7 240 when I first played Subnautica. Upgraded to an RX 480 (it was new at the time) as the old card was not enough for all the newer games out there. The nice thing about PCs is that you're not paying $500 every few years for a totally new computer. Rather you upgrade your computer as you need it.

Can't really give a video card recommendation unless we know what kind of budget you have for your card and what kind of system you have. A beefy video card can easily be bottlenecked by an old CPU that isn't pushing the horses needed for today's games.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited December 2017
    Now is a really good time to look for "Last Year's Models" being on clearance.

I usually go to my local Best Buy the end of Jan. looking for good deals.

All of both the AMD & Nvidia Cards from this past year (2017) will be closeouts and going for up to 50% off. (or more)
    B)
    edited January 2018
    Also, if you're wondering how a certain card compares with others (say, with the one you currently have, or the minimum spec one for a certain game, or whatever) use the compare function of UserBenchmark (In the top-left, click hardware type "GPU", then in the top-right, click site function "Compare", don't hit compare first, though, or you'll go to CPU compare, then regular list benchmark mode for GPU.)

qpfhv7.png
  • lonelywolflonelywolf Sweden Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204737Members
    i use 1060 3gb and it works like a charm :)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited January 2018
    It all depends on what you are willing to pay. I would go with a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB - expect to spend around $150+.
    If you are ok staying at 1080p and non-high textures, then you can drop to a GTX 1050 2GB for ~$100+.
    Paying any less than this is pointless for a video card, as it isn't worth the incremental upgrade over what you already have.

P.S. The best thing to help Subnautica performance is upgrading from a HDD to an SSD (64GB+).
    Agree with @Racer1 -- I picked up an R 360 2GB, but that was because it was on sale for $45 after rebates, and I'm planning on getting a pretty nice card eventually, but I needed something more powerful than the Intelgrated HD 630 to hold me over.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2018
    lonelywolf wrote: »

I've got the same but with 6gb and have not had any problems running the game.
    also, I got it for under $185.00 on Amazon back in January of last year.
    It's probably cheaper now.
    B)
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    lonelywolf wrote: »

I've got the same but with 6gb and have not had any problems running the game.
    also, I got it for under $185.00 on Amazon back in January of last year.
    It's probably cheaper now.
    B)

Miner bois. Cheapest you can get your hands on for the 6GB model is $289.99 (Amazon) Yup, they got to nVidia, too. :(
    My friend I have a 10GB computer 6 cores, and maybe you are right I don't need to upgrade it cause it does run fine. And perhaps that is why.
    All things in my computer meet the requirements except the graphics card, but still I have had no problems use to crash, but every update seems to fix that. Just a few visuals, and I am dealing with it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2018
    Racer1 wrote: »
    It all depends on what you are willing to pay. I would go with a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB - expect to spend around $150+.
    If you are ok staying at 1080p and non-high textures, then you can drop to a GTX 1050 2GB for ~$100+.
    Paying any less than this is pointless for a video card, as it isn't worth the incremental upgrade over what you already have.

P.S. The best thing to help Subnautica performance is upgrading from a HDD to an SSD (64GB+).

Going to a 2Gb is kinda risky IMHO, my HD5870 with just 1Gb is already having lot's of trouble with certain games (DooM), where even at 1080p it should effortly run the game at acceptable FPS, but texture memory usage goes up to 1500-1600Mb, which is kinda too close for comfort to that 2Gb border and way too much for memory GDDR5/DDR3 swapping on a 1Gb card vs 16GB system mem.

3Gb is the new 1080p "safe" memory limit methinks if they keep upping the model/world texture res

Also @Forgerer, mind posting your entire specs here, I mean a GTX 1070 might be overkill if the rest of your rig isn't up to push that card to the maximum
    Processor: Intel Haswell 2 cores / 4 threads @ 2.5Ghz or equivalent
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel HD 4600 or equivalent - This includes most GPUs scoring greater than 950pts in the 3DMark Fire Strike benchmark
    Storage: 6 GB available space
    Additional Notes: Subnautica is an Early Access game, and minimum specifications may change during development
    This is what my comp. is. hope it helps.
    Processor: Intel Haswell 4 cores / 4 threads @ 3.2Ghz or equivalent
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 550 ti or equivalent
    Storage: 6 GB available space
    Additional Notes: Subnautica is an Early Access game, and recommended specifications may change during development. And this is what the game requires. The GTX 550 ti is obsolete I want to know if there is an alternative. I found a few modals on the market really cheap, but I don't know if they are any good.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2018
    Just looking at the suggestions in this thread, the GTX-1050 seems like a minor upgrade compared to the GTX-580

While the GTX-1060 would be a huge step up from both the GTX-580 and GTX-1050. This is probably because the 580 series, while old, is still a high end gaming card. The 1050 is an entry level card, which might be newer, but an entry level card will be cutting some corners. Like that measly 128-bit memory width, compared to 384-bit on your card and 192-bit on the GTX-1060 (My HD5870 has 256-bit)

The GTX-1070/1080 are definitely overkill, if you're gaming on 1080p (FullHD), not sure about that Intel Haswell either, 2.5Ghz seems slow and incapable of overclocking?

But don't take my word for it, this is just me glancing over the specs and benchmark numbers. I'm probably also in the market for a new card, but my HD5870 1Gb is just a smidgen more powerful in some areas, but quite slower in most other areas compared to your GTX-580. It's able to match your card in a few areas, because mine is paired with an overclocked 2500K @ 4.4 to 4.9xGhz, depending on weather. And this card is good for FullHD and for Subnautica it's is still doing it's job perfectly fine. Unless bastard game devs (ID), throw out games with huge textures all over the bloody place :D

I just want more memory! IF ONLY WE COULD UPGRADE THE MEMORY ON THESE CARDS :tongue:
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Just looking at the suggestions in this thread, the GTX-1050 seems like a minor upgrade compared to the GTX-580

While the GTX-1060 would be a huge step up from both the GTX-580 and GTX-1050. This is probably because the 580 series, while old, is still a high end gaming card. The 1050 is an entry level card, which might be newer, but an entry level card will be cutting some corners. Like that measly 128-bit memory width, compared to 384-bit on your card and 192-bit on the GTX-1060 (My HD5870 has 256-bit)

The GTX-1070/1080 are definitely overkill, if you're gaming on 1080p (FullHD), not sure about that Intel Haswell either, 2.5Ghz seems slow and incapable of overclocking?

But don't take my word for it, this is just me glancing over the specs and benchmark numbers. I'm probably also in the market for a new card, but my HD5870 1Gb is just a smidgen more powerful in some areas, but quite slower in most other areas compared to your GTX-580. It's able to match your card in a few areas, because mine is paired with an overclocked 2500K @ 4.4 to 4.9xGhz, depending on weather. And this card is good for FullHD and for Subnautica it's is still doing it's job perfectly fine. Unless bastard game devs (ID), throw out games with huge textures all over the bloody place :D

I just want more memory! IF ONLY WE COULD UPGRADE THE MEMORY ON THESE CARDS :tongue:

Used to be able to, I remember old (really old) "graphics" cards with like 4MB of memory and a slot for 4MB more.