Unable to open the game [FIXED]

AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
edited January 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Build: latest experimental
Whenever I try to launch Subnautica, the game "opens" but I can't see the game, I can hear the music, but I can't see the game at all, I tried verifying the cache, reinstalling the game entirely, nothing worked. I am completely out of ideas on how to fix this, HELP.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Not sure if it will work, but try the fix for "Subnautica opens in a tiny window" from my signature below:
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Not sure if it will work, but try the fix for "Subnautica opens in a tiny window" from my signature below:

Nope, didn't do anything
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Try this:

In Steam, right click on Subnautica in your Library, hit properties. Click 'Set Launch Options' button. Put inside it: -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080 Hit OK. Start Subnautica. See what happens.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Also didn't work...
  • Inny78Inny78 France Join Date: 2017-11-02 Member: 233820Members
    edited December 2017
    Hi,
    Please check your log file. It's located here:
    (steam directory)\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt

If it's full of FMOD errors, then you'll find a fix here.
    If not, please paste the log on Pastebin and post the link here.
    I don't appear to even have Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt, and Idk what pastebin is let alone how to use it
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited December 2017
    This is the full address on your 'puter to find that last bit he was asking for...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt

When you get to the "\Subnautica_Data" folder, scroll about halfway down.
    It's listed alphabetically so it'll be after all the "level x" files.

Took me a bit to find it also.

It is a TEXT File and mine is 282 KB in size .

If you have an Nvidia Card try uninstalling it's device drivers and then reloading them.

That's another of his suggestions.

B)
    I don't appear to even have Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt, and Idk what pastebin is let alone how to use it

Pastebin is just an online site where you can paste a bunch of text and then share a link to it (so we can look at your Subnautica output_log.txt once you've found it)
    edited December 2017
    Here. Download Everything by voidtools. Install the 64-bit version of that (or use the 64-bit portable .zip version) and wait until it indexes your drive (usually takes about a minute, you can see the status at the bottom).

Type in
    output_log.txt

and see if there's one in a path related to Subnautica. If so, double-click to open, or right-click to open the folder it's in ("Open Path").

If you like Everything and want to have it always keeping everything indexed in the background, you might install it as a service (Settings > General > Everything service). It's lighter and much faster than Windows Search (and can also search file contents, just like Windows Search).
    edited December 2017
    Hmm, can you post your dxdiag output (save all information... button)?

As I see this:
    Initialize engine version: 5.6.2p4UnknownWorlds (0)
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    Direct3D:
        Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
        Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics (ID=0x406)
        Vendor:   Intel
        VRAM:     1114 MB
        Driver:   20.19.15.4624

and this:
    (Filename:  Line: 376)

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeOSX' - Pass 'FLIP_RGBARECT_TO_RGBA' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeOSX' - Setting to default shader.
    <RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
      at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

desktop: 1366x768 60Hz; virtual: 1366x768 at 0,0
    D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (0 x 0 fmt 19 aa 1), error 0x80070057

edited December 2017
    does this work? https://pastebin.com/print/HwEknJSN if the print thing shows up, hit cancel and you should see it all
    No no, it worked the first time. I want you to also post your dxdiag based on some of the stuff I see in the log.

Click start, press run (if you don't have it hit Windows key + R). Type dxdiag and hit enter. Click "Save all information..." and then upload that file to pastebin.
    edited December 2017
    I believe your GPU isn't up to spec. It's listed as an Intel Integrated "HD Graphics" with no model number, but it's below the Intel HD 4600 - look for your processor, the 3550M, at the bottom of the list of Haswell processors on Wikipedia, and you can see what GPU is integrated on-board.

Plus, the CPU side can't really run it either, I don't think: it's a dual-core non-hyper-threading CPU clocked at 2.3 GHz, and I don't think Subnautica will run very well on it..

@nesrak1, do you spot anything that might make this work?

@AkuMasterofMasters you might want to try running Subnautica with the
    -force-d3d9

option
    edited December 2017
    I hit @nesrak1 up on Discord, @AkuMasterofMasters - do this:
    1. Find native resolution (Windows key + R, type
      desk.cpl

and hit enter)
    2. Windows+R, type regedit
    3. Go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica
    4. Double click Screenmanager Resolution Height_h2627697771
    5. Click decimal
    6. Set value to screen height (Aku, yours is 768 according to dxdiag)
    7. Double click Screenmanager Resolution Width_h182942802
    8. Click decimal
    9. Set value to screen width (Aku, yours is 1366 according to dxdiag)
    10. Exit and restart subnautica
    @Belgarel nes had some ideas as to what was causing this if you want to hit him up (something to do with alt+tabbing or clicking a notification when SN goes full screen on first launch?) He thinks it's Unity related, but it can't hurt to check it out. He's on both the official Subnautica Discord and the modding Discord.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited December 2017
    edited December 2017
    its not that my CPU or GPU isn't powerful enough, as I could run the game fine before, and changing the height and width with that did nothing, I'll try the other thing now
    edit: I don't have nvidia, nor do I know how to access a control panel that can allow me to do that
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2017
    its not that my CPU or GPU isn't powerful enough, as I could run the game fine before, and changing the height and width with that did nothing, I'll try the other thing now
    edit: I don't have nvidia, nor do I know how to access a control panel that can allow me to do that

Sorry to say we have minimum requirements for a reason. They are the target for 1.0 and you are way below the minimum requirement. Just because it worked before, doesn't mean it will work in the future. This is the nature of game development, and the reason we put minimum specs on the store page in the first place so customers can avoid disappointment.

Your system is below our minimum requirement in CPU & GPU by a very long way on both.

You can try going through our Troubleshooting guide to see if it will help, but as you're below our target you may find the game still doesnt work, or crashes frequently: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=448862051

Also FYI @0x6A7232 DirectX9 renderer has been removed from the game for a few months now. The game will default to OpenGL if it finds a GPU can't handle DX11.
    edited December 2017
    It ran quite well before, especially with the optimization updates, I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to run now, as it ran at a playable 10 FPS, not much but it was playable, and it was getting even better, with each update, so I see no reason why, if it is getting better, that it would stop working, suddenly, and if it was that I couldn't run it, the game wouldnt even launch, which it does, but its stuck in a small window in the task bar, I also rarely had any crashes.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited December 2017
    Welp, it's very apparent that something was changed with the last update and now it will no longer work on your OLD System.

That's the conclusion that just about any logical human being would deduce.
    (especially since one of the MAIN Developers just told you so)

Time to save your pennies and get a new system.
    < shrug >
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Welp, it's very apparent that something was changed with the last update and now it will no longer work on your OLD System.

That's the conclusion that just about any logical human being would deduce.
    (especially since one of the MAIN Developers just told you so)

Time to save your pennies and get a new system.
    < shrug >

I've already said, its not my specs that are the issue, the optimizing was making the game run better, it wouldn't suddenly stop working, also its not any updates, as switching back to stable did nothing, the game does launch, it just doesn't display correctly
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    I've already said, its not my specs that are the issue,

Obraxis wrote: »
    Your system is below our minimum requirement in CPU & GPU by a very long way on both.

DarthOmnis wrote: »

It CAN run the game it CAN, for the last time, ITS NOT MY SPECS
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    No, it could. Now, it cannot. Do you not understand the words "minimum" and "below"?
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    DarthOmnis wrote: »

It CAN run the game it CAN, for the last time, ITS NOT MY SPECS

Your issue is the last update was a major overhaul updating many key systems. While your outdated gear may have been able to run it before, with the update the requirements may have risen closer to the minimum. Easiest way to check to clone your harddrive to an external hard drive and run it on a friends PC. If it works, and the friend is in the min specs you know it's your specs.
    edited December 2017
    You're just not listening to anything I said....my issue is the game is launching, just not displaying correctly getting stuck in the task bar, if I couldn't run it at all, the game wouldn't launch at all, which it does, and no its NOT any updates, as I have played on the same update (same subnautica and windows updates) before, then it stopped working, I also checked, nothing in my computer is broken
    Alright, alright. @AkuMasterofMasters -- please follow the guide below to get the previous version of Subnautica downloaded on your system to test if that works. If it doesn't, something on your system config or hardware (they do wear out) has changed.

I'm assuming you already tried everything we've suggested so far and also Obraxis' troubleshooting checklist? If so, then proceed: (might want to try latest experimental first tho, just to check)