Cyclops moonpool on the Aurora

Weapons_FreeWeapons_Free Join Date: 2017-12-08 Member: 234323Members
Stupid concept, but what if there was a section of the Aurora that you could clean up. And once that’s done, the player would be able to open large bay doors, these once open would function as a superior moon pool for the cyclops. And around this moon pool would be a operational work area where building would be operational i.e. able to add lockers along the walls.

Maybe the player would be required to repair a power bank where they could deposit power cells in order to power this area. This “laboratory” would look pristine and lack all “crash” looks. This of course after extensive work and time from the player.

Perhaps this area would be comparable with the P.R.A.W.N. suit...

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Interesting, but the aurora wouldn't have a moonpool. It was never designed to land on an ocean planet.
  • SubnauticaDragoonSubnauticaDragoon Canada Join Date: 2017-09-17 Member: 233098Members
    It would be cool if you could scan the precursors moon pool at the gun island.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Interesting, but the aurora wouldn't have a moonpool. It was never designed to land on an ocean planet.

Do we know this?

Is there even any real evidence that Alterra isn't from an aquatic branch of humanity?
  • SoreinSorein USA Join Date: 2015-05-01 Member: 204015Members

The Aurora may not have been designed for aquatic planets, but it seems reasonable to me that as a fairly large space vessel it could have hangar bays for smaller space ships that could be retrofitted for use as a cyclops moonbay.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    But from the Aurora itself and the wreck fragments, we see it does have Seamoth and PRAWN bays on-board, with large doors to open up to deploy them. If the Aurora itself wasn't intended to launch Seamoths and PRAWNs directly, it must have been for loading on other smaller contained vessels.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited December 2017
    Sorein wrote: »

The Aurora may not have been designed for aquatic planets, but it seems reasonable to me that as a fairly large space vessel it could have hangar bays for smaller space ships that could be retrofitted for use as a cyclops moonbay.

We know from PDA entries that the Seamoth is designed to be used under water and in space, I don't see any reason as to why the Cyclops couldn't be used for both under water and in space as well. I mean, look at the space vessel used by the crew in Cowboy Bebop - it was designed to gather fish from the seas of Jupiter Ganymede, a moon in orbit around Jupiter. If society in the future seeded other 'sea environments' to produce and capture fish, it makes sense to have a space-vessel that can both travel there and to be able to harvest the fish.

There's also the issue of when a space vessel is moving through space and suddenly impacts into a planet, not all of it manages to survive the crash. Take this episode of Star Trek: Voyager "Timeless": in an attempt to return Voyager home faster with an experimental quantum slipstream drive, the ship unfortunately instead crashes into an icy planet. Chakotay and Kim (who piloted a shuttle ahead of Voyager to help them navigate, and as such survived death) have searched for the lost vessel and after 15 years, have returned to try and fix their mistake:
    Using wrist-borne lights to light their way, they walk slowly to a dark, dead, frosted-over wall console. Kim scrapes ice off of it, connects a portable power cell and activates it. The console comes to life. Kim accesses it and reports the extent of Voyager's damage: her power grid is destroyed, her bioneural gel packs are frozen solid and six of her lowermost decks are compacted. Chakotay muses that she must have crashed into the ice at full impulse.

In the realm of Star Trek, "full impulse" is the speed of light. Now we don't know how fast the Aurora is travelling, but it has to be moving pretty dang fast in order to execute its slingshot maneuver around Planet 4546B. With this in mind, it's pretty safe to assume that when it's shot out of orbit and hits the planet full-force, much of the internal structure has been compressed to the point it's just a metal pancake. This also helps to explain why there's not as much of the vessel we can explore, despite it's size from the outside (not to mention also whatever hapless crew members that happened to be in those levels, we never find later because they were immediately... 'downsized' upon impact). :bawling:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I thought full impulse was 0.92c-0.99c depending on how advanced the impulse drive was (how old the ship was)?
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I thought full impulse was 0.92c-0.99c depending on how advanced the impulse drive was (how old the ship was)?

Impulse drive is generally accepted to be a sub-light drive. The problem is that there really isn't any defined speed for it. It's definitely not supposed to be the speed of light, though.
    At high fractions of the speed of light, you don't get any perceptible orbit change passing by any object of lower than multiple solar masses. And if a ship the size of the Aurora--or its fragments--hit a planet at such a high speed, it's like a major impact and would be destroyed while creating a mass extinction event.

The Aurora had to be moving at a much slower speed, no matter what is said ingame. What's more, if it was going to fly by 4546B, then even after being shot by the Precursor Gun, it (or its fragments) would still flyby 4546B. The Captain must have deliberately decided to land the ship after it was mortally damaged while he still had control due to it being the best quick choice to best survive.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Thank goodness the Aurora's drive didn't move at LUDICROUS SPEED. That emergency break was a bit TOO effective...

As for the Aurora having a moonpool, the ship doesn't look like it would be able to land on a planet. Unless there's landing gear I haven't seen yet. Maybe the procedure was to go down in the space/seamoth, then construct the forward operations base and the cyclops for work on the planet?
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited December 2017
    cdaragorn wrote: »

Impulse drive is generally accepted to be a sub-light drive. The problem is that there really isn't any defined speed for it. It's definitely not supposed to be the speed of light, though.

It was defined in Star Trek The Motion Picture. Impulse is .9 of warp. Once you pass warp (impulse speeds) 0.999, warp drive kicks in. Star Trek First Contact did the same thing. They had to keep accelerating. So the Phoenix rocket sped up through impulse speeds to reach warp 1.
  • Weapons_FreeWeapons_Free Join Date: 2017-12-08 Member: 234323Members
    edited December 2017
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    As for the Aurora having a moonpool, the ship doesn't look like it would be able to land on a planet. Unless there's landing gear I haven't seen yet. Maybe the procedure was to go down in the space/seamoth, then construct the forward operations base and the cyclops for work on the planet?

While this may be true, it has been stated that the cyclops and the seamoth are both able to be employed in space, so how would they use these technologies in space without some sort of bay that accesses space? I think that there must have been a way for the aurora crew to deploy and build the phase gate, and would this not require the removal of large quantities of supplies from the aurora? i.e. large bay doors, possibly capable of being modified by a common device that rearranges matter in order to build things?
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

It was defined in Star Trek The Motion Picture. Impulse is .9 of warp. Once you pass warp (impulse speeds) 0.999, warp drive kicks in. Star Trek First Contact did the same thing. They had to keep accelerating. So the Phoenix rocket sped up through impulse speeds to reach warp 1.

I don't know about the reference to .9. I would need to go back and watch that again, but that is NOT how warp drive works in either Star Trek or reality.
    You can't "speed up to warp", and it doesn't just kick in ever. You have to create a warp bubble around you which causes you to slip through space at an incredible speed. You aren't actually moving, though. The bubble is moving while you sit mostly motionless inside of it.
    I honestly don't know what you're referencing with First Contact. They clearly engaged the warp drive which suddenly threw them into warp speed. They weren't even anywhere near light speed by that time.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    At high fractions of the speed of light, you don't get any perceptible orbit change passing by any object of lower than multiple solar masses. And if a ship the size of the Aurora--or its fragments--hit a planet at such a high speed, it's like a major impact and would be destroyed while creating a mass extinction event.

The Aurora had to be moving at a much slower speed, no matter what is said ingame. What's more, if it was going to fly by 4546B, then even after being shot by the Precursor Gun, it (or its fragments) would still flyby 4546B. The Captain must have deliberately decided to land the ship after it was mortally damaged while he still had control due to it being the best quick choice to best survive.

...or the quarantine enforcement platform's laser hit the Aurora at a side-glance, instantly slowing it down enough to be forced into 4546B's atmosphere.
    ...or the quarantine enforcement platform's laser hit the Aurora at a side-glance, instantly slowing it down enough to be forced into 4546B's atmosphere.
    You're talking about needing something like ~7+ km/s delta-V in the interaction. That's rather massive, not to mention likely destructive.

To have that much momentum in a laser beam to deliver to the Aurora, the energy in the beam would be massive and likely would have destroyed wherever it struck the Aurora. And there's no way the momentum would have been transferred to the whole ship, so the Aurora would have ripped apart. Even if it had been transferred to the whole ship, the crew and a lot of the interior would have been smashed, even if strapped down. No one would have survived.
    Great post, @scifiwriterguy . However....

Side note: the QEP probably only has to worry about gravity beam curving to hit its target. There's likely other QEPs to give full coverage of 4546B, likely around 20.

Main note: parabolic orbit speed at periapsis, Ie. escape velocity, is squareroot(2) x circular orbit velocity. And to knock on the Aurora to drop it from above escape velocity to below circular orbit velocity, well, for Earth near the surface, it's 11.2km/s for escape velocity and 7.9km/s for circular orbit velocity. And 4546B seems to be about the size of the Earth.

So that's an interaction that needs to produce a delta-V of more than 3.3km/s. Having that delivered to the Aurora in a brief time would fatally squash the crew, even if they were in fluid with a fluid-breathing system (for maximum acceleration and surge protection). The Aurora itself would likely be torn apart and partly vapourized.

It also brings up the question of why the QEP fired on a spacecraft that wasn't landing on 4546B but just going by. Also has a blast-if-it-get-this-close order?

So that means one of two things happened. Either the Aurora was struck and mortally wounded in a flyby of 4546B and the crew then decided to land to survive.

Or the Aurora was already going to land on 4546B. Which makes more sense for the QEP to fire upon it.

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Oh, without doubt, @Jacke, the math doesn't completely wash. :) Either you're imparting linear deceleration and the crew is smashed flat against forward bulkheads, or you're imparting angular momentum to spin the ship, resulting in thrust at the wrong angle and them "driving" into the planet, in which case they're just being smashed against a side bulkhead instead. Either way, everybody's gonna be a lot thinner. The only way to work it from a sci-fi perspective is, well, to cheat. If we posit that the ship is an FTL vessel (which it practically has to be), then they're going to have some kind of inertial compensation system to keep from juicing the crew when they hit the gas. If that's still working, then the crew survives the QEP strike. Things being what they are, not sure how much of a favor that was. ;)

At some point, I think the in-game lore stated that the QEP was the only one on the planet. Maybe that's been changed?

Odds on, the QEP's programming had it engage anything that entered orbit. From a containment standpoint, it makes sense; ship enters orbit, detects something odd on the planet, lands to investigate. The Precursors just decided to jump the gun (har!) on that event chain and just whack anything that comes into range. They were also nice enough to add a caveat into their targeting algorithm that if the ship in question is needed for a dramatic moment, it holds fire until it's within visual range. ;) Sure, we could say that the Sunbeam is smaller and thus harder to hit, but it's a weapon with near-instantaneous time-of-flight coupled with what's clearly a sophisticated targeting system; I'm sure the thing could hit baseballs in orbit if it were programmed to. (Not literally; detecting something like a baseball in orbit would be nigh on to impossible - they're small, dim, and not radar reflective.)

The only thing I'd raise a however to, though, would be the assertion that Aurora was coming in for a landing. A ship that size wouldn't be built to ever be planetside; built in space, work in space, die in space. Laying aside the considerable problem of the strain imposed by a ship with that kind of bulk trying to rest on a planet's surface, the energy cost required to first soft-land the thing and then get it back into space would be enormous. It's not impossible, but it's sure impractical. Splitting the difference, we could assume that they were coming in for an orbital insertion, though, which would enable them to drop smaller craft to investigate anything on the surface they want. Or, they really were doing a parabolic fly-by that, if they detected something, could've been normalized into a stable orbit with enough engine burn.
    I'm not sure exactly where the devs have stated there's only one QEP, but I can be sure that others have stated that they've said there's only one QEP, and no one refuted it. Search for "only one qep" in the Subnautica Discord.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    i always thought the aurora was a mining vessel sent to capitalize on the planets resource rich deposits. knowing this the aurora obviously had some sort of landing gear to land on a shallow part of the oceans surface. the aurora did not impact the planet at high speed and instead was haphazardly landed without any form of landing gear. the aurora slid across the shallows for a bit as we see behind the aurora. this means the front of the aurora took most of the damage and the back of the aurora has some form of integrity. putting all this together we can conclude that, it is possible, for some sort of bay (spaceship of some sort) could exist near the back of the aurora. the reason the bay is not a cyclops bay is because in the game we know that the cyclops was transported in boxes in pieces. if this bay were to open near the back of the aurora there most likely wouldn't be fire because of a lack of oxygen and also because most of the fire was caused by the drive core exploding. in this bay there would be alot of debris from the ceiling and walls from impact. and using this as a base would be very, very annoying because the aurora is on a slant. that is all i have to say.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members

I don't know about the reference to .9. I would need to go back and watch that again, but that is NOT how warp drive works in either Star Trek or reality.
    You can't "speed up to warp", and it doesn't just kick in ever. You have to create a warp bubble around you which causes you to slip through space at an incredible speed. You aren't actually moving, though. The bubble is moving while you sit mostly motionless inside of it.
    I honestly don't know what you're referencing with First Contact. They clearly engaged the warp drive which suddenly threw them into warp speed. They weren't even anywhere near light speed by that time.

That's what TMP and First Contact did. Why was the Phoenix moving and accelerating than? Why did it have to reach "Critical Velocity". TMP clearly counts Impulse as a sub warp speed, but apart of the overall scale. There are times we saw ships engage in a stand still. But also while moving. So both have to be accepted.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited December 2017

That's what TMP and First Contact did. Why was the Phoenix moving and accelerating than? Why did it have to reach "Critical Velocity". TMP clearly counts Impulse as a sub warp speed, but apart of the overall scale. There are times we saw ships engage in a stand still. But also while moving. So both have to be accepted.

Because the Phoenix was Zephram Cochrane's first "starship" (that itself was retro-fitted from an old rocket ship) which had his experimental warp drive engines installed. As he (and Riker) were the first to ever achieve FTL space flight (chronologically speaking; nevermind the fact that the Enterprise-E was already present with 24th-century warp drive technology #TimeyWimeyBall), Cochrane had to build up speed before activating his drive. Since no one had attempted it before and inertial dampeners hadn't been invented yet (good luck jumping from standing still to instantly travelling that fast without any support), that's why they had to do it "the old-fashioned way" first. :tongue:
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Perhaps whatever "Deflector Shields" the Aurora has, were able to somewhat compensate for the initial impact of the planet weapon and thus she wasn't torn asunder immediately...??
    B)