Could I have some sound source files please?

NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
I would like to speed up the machine gun reload sound, change marine and skulk walking sounds, and fix the rifle sounds. Would it be possible to get the sound source files for those? Thank you.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2017
    Well you can find NS2's *.fev files in this folder

..\Steam\SteamApps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\sound

Which can be opened, recorded from within FMOD Event Player. But a sound mod would also require lua editing and probably some form of access to the NS2 FMOD project and some form of whitelisting when used on online servers

To access these files you need FMOD SoundSystem or FMOD Designer
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Unfortunately, due to the way fmod designer works, you won't be able to re-build the sound banks without ALL the source sound files accounted for, not just the ones you want to change.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Unfortunately, due to the way fmod designer works, you won't be able to re-build the sound banks without ALL the source sound files accounted for, not just the ones you want to change.

Well, could I get access to all of those, then? :smile:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2017
    The way Beige explained it would imply you'd have to include all NS2 sound files in your mod. That would most certainly exceed the maximum Steam Workshop mod size of 100Mb, so it would have to be a few Gb's worth of a third party mod.

That kinda sucks @BeigeAlert, is this stuff hardcoded (compiled) in FMOD?
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    I'd just be creating a new sound file and wire the lua up to use that. I would use the NS2.fdp in the assets/ folder to see how the original sound events were created.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2017
    I couldn't find the original files(on my ssds/hds inside my main tower) i'll look another time for them, busy installing some distros! however there's an alternative that might suit your needs? you can just the soundsrc one in the assets folder to build it using the same format it. It should show how it's wired up inside FMOD however, you might need the legacy versions of FMOD designer

Legacy products:

FMOD Ex - The sound playback and mixing engine.
    FMOD Designer 2010 - An audio designer tool used for authoring complex sound events and music for playback.
    FMOD Event Player - An auditioning tool[clarification needed] in conjunction with FMOD Designer 2010.

Also in NS2 you can exact the sound files using a tool here.
    http://www.aezay.dk/aezay/fsbextractor/

You can use the old templated version inside the assets folder and just replace the sounds, you use a soundinfo.txt or what ever it was called to recompile with the information that was found inside the fmod designer program aka timings etc.

It should be pretty easy to re-create them, i had converted the old NS1 sounds inside fmod and replaced ns2 sounds, albeit a bit tricky since ns1 had more mono sounding sounds rather then 3d, but it's doable, you shouldn't even need to touch the .lua files unless you are using a different soundbank.

I have FMOD already. Do I really have to go through all the trouble of downloading sketchy apps from a strange domain name to extract these files from the game?
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    No you are right you shouldn't have to, but because you do have to in this circumstance and we're not going to get into an argument about why we have to do it otherwise we'll get banned, so you might as well stop getting handed everything on a plate, scan it yourself and move along, it has been posted here for a few years now, i scan each version including old ones and nothing yet.

Thanks
    This seems like a very simple and small request, and @BeigeAlert's answer just doesn't make any sense. I just want to create a NEW sound mod with a NEW reload sound based on the old machine gun reload sound.
  • sweetssweets Join Date: 2017-12-27 Member: 234628Members, NS2 Community Developer
    Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to add new FSbanks to the existing ones along with a modified FEV from the original project file, even though it's included for anyone to play with. Do you have a sound sample you'd like to use for the skulk movement or hmg reload? If they're an improvement, I may be able to make those changes. What do you want to fix with the rifle sounds?
    edited December 2017
    NS sounds were quite a bit more iconic and "crispier" (more punch?), I assume he means those sounds.

The pistol sound alone kicks the TSF Luger's ass:

And then we have the iconic HMG
    sweets wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to add new FSbanks to the existing ones along with a modified FEV from the original project file, even though it's included for anyone to play with. Do you have a sound sample you'd like to use for the skulk movement or hmg reload? If they're an improvement, I may be able to make those changes. What do you want to fix with the rifle sounds?

It's very much possible to add new sound banks, and I've made quite a few sound mods already. I just want the source files so I can make these mods.

I want to fix the footstep and rifle echo and location properties, and I want to have a sped up reload sound for the machine gun. I'd have to use the base machine gun reload sound and speed it up.

I no longer have any interest in fixing vanilla NS2's sound banks. I only want to create a new one for my own mods.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    And then we have the iconic HMG

With those sounds the HMG would feel much scarier than our comic-minigun from ns2