Arctic Biome?

CrazyAcekingCrazyAceking New York, NY, 10003 Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204307Members
I believe this has been discussed before, but I would love to see some sort of frigid Ice Biome. Maybe have some floating icebergs that occasionally drift into the other biomes, or maybe giant jellyfish-like creatures that float in the frigid water. What do y'all think?

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    They've got some concept stuff and ideas floating around for if they decide to tackle this after the game launches, and I really hope they do~
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    >Game not even out yet
    >Already talking about expansions

FML.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The game is almost finished. That's why they are planning it now
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    >Game not even out yet

FML.

It is common practice to think about continuity when producing a movie, a game or even a book. It's not uncommon for trilogies such as Back to the Future and Lord of the Rings to have all movies filmed simultaneously.

The same applies to many great franchises in games.

I agree with @jamintheinfinite_1, the game is practically out. It's not like they are doing sh!t like:
    - finishing the game
    - cleaving it in pieces
    - selling said pieces as additional content
    Which, unfortunately, has become common place among many great companies.
  • Jim444Jim444 Join Date: 2017-11-20 Member: 234049Members
    Arctic Biome is a good idea definitely, but not sure how can it be implemented to the game authentically? Cannot be added underneath as it is the place of lawa zone. I guess also cannot be attached to any current biomes as it does not meet the subarctic climate requirements.

The only authentic solution what I can image now is to hide a precursor teleporter somewhere which leads to the north/south pole (optional or part of storyline?) I hope devs will plan it carefully to fit into the world properly. :)
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    Jim444 wrote: »
    Arctic Biome is a good idea definitely, but not sure how can it be implemented to the game authentically? Cannot be added underneath as it is the place of lawa zone. I guess also cannot be attached to any current biomes as it does not meet the subarctic climate requirements.

The only authentic solution what I can image now is to hide a precursor teleporter somewhere which leads to the north/south pole (optional or part of storyline?) I hope devs will plan it carefully to fit into the world properly. :)

That's why they did the dead zone. First of all it makes it more belivable than a invinsible wall, and it allows you too easily add some biomes, just by cutting off a bit of the dead zone.
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members

That's why they did the dead zone. First of all it makes it more belivable than a invinsible wall, and it allows you too easily add some biomes, just by cutting off a bit of the dead zone.
    It would also be awesome if the biome would be between any biome out in the dead zone (500 m away from the map, always getting colder and colder) They should also add an alien cache that has a teleporter connecting a certain alien base so the player actually finds it eventually.
    edited December 2017
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    >Game not even out yet

FML.

It is common practice to think about continuity when producing a movie, a game or even a book. It's not uncommon for trilogies such as Back to the Future and Lord of the Rings to have all movies filmed simultaneously.

I agree with @jamintheinfinite_1, the game is practically out. It's not like they are doing sh!t like:
    - finishing the game
    - cleaving it in pieces

That and some of the things they wanted to do some of these things but found they didn't have the resources and time to get it all done before 1.0.

What'd really be bad is if they started selling expansions before the game was even finished. I've seen games do that before, while still in EA and with some pretty big issues here and there, and they start selling expansions packs while still working on the base game. Which I guess is sort of like what you mentioned, minus the 'finishing the game' part.
  • TheKubaWTheKubaW Kosina Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207747Members
    edited December 2017
  • TheKubaWTheKubaW Kosina Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207747Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    >Game not even out yet

FML.

- finishing the game
    - cleaving it in pieces

That and some of the things they wanted to do some of these things but found they didn't have the resources and time to get it all done before 1.0.

What'd really be bad is if they started selling expansions before the game was even finished. I've seen games do that before, while still in EA and with some pretty big issues here and there, and they start selling expansions packs while still working on the base game. Which I guess is sort of like what you mentioned, minus the 'finishing the game' part.

*cough* ARK *cough*
    TheKubaW wrote: »
    Rezca wrote: »
    >Game not even out yet

FML.

- finishing the game
    - cleaving it in pieces

*cough* ARK *cough*

Exactly the game I had in mind when I was typing that post :lol:

Having plans for when the game goes 1.0 is fine, but selling content for a game that hasn't even hit 1.0 yet is a totally different matter.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members

The best solution I see is to make the rocket malfunction on the end, crash it at polar latitudes and make the player restart the game keeping his blueprints, but at very different biomes. Add a few more blueprints (precursor tech) and finally find a portal back to the mountain location (or even better, a portal blueprint). Then the player could access the polar biomes through the portals.

Nowadays most people think about expansions as needing to fit into the game like a small bonus. To me expansions should feel like almost new games on itself.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    The best solution I see is to make the rocket malfunction on the end, crash it at polar latitudes and make the player restart the game keeping his blueprints, but at very different biomes. Add a few more blueprints (precursor tech) and finally find a portal back to the mountain location (or even better, a portal blueprint). Then the player could access the polar biomes through the portals.

Actually, based on some of the dev's notes on the rocket-escape cinematic, an arctic landmass is apparently supposed to be visible in either the same hemisphere as the Array or at least close to it. So it might not actually be all that far off as opposed to just needing to search for it.

That being said, there's also another major possibility; the floating island possibility - instead of being solid land, the arctic biome might just be a huge glacier that's been set adrift. Maybe there's even Precursor tech inside that's keeping it supercooled so that it doesn't melt in warmer waters, which the exploration of would be the end-goal reward for going there. Too early to say for sure, of course, but still.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    The checkins just said that you'd be able to see an arctic landmass on the planet, not that it would be anywhere close to the main crater.
    edited December 2017
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    The checkins just said that you'd be able to see an arctic landmass on the planet, not that it would be anywhere close to the main crater.

I'm still betting on it being reached via teleporter or something. Or maybe entering coordinates into the cyclops or such and then "Fast Traveling" to the location. Most likely the Teleporter though.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

You dare defy the Tweet that has been written by one of the Subnautica overlords?
  • yonatan_rufriyonatan_rufri isreal Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234344Members
    I think it can be really cool if they will include some sort of a "frozen monstrosity" that somehow ties in to the lore of the expansion.
  • BreadedChickenBreadedChicken Canada Join Date: 2017-12-10 Member: 234357Members
    Maybe they could make an expansion that lets you play as a crew member for a ship that got shot down by another alien base located at the northern pole of the planet. If they do ever make something like that, I don't expect it to start development for a lonnng time after 1.0 comes out
    Maybe they could make an expansion that lets you play as a crew member for a ship that got shot down by another alien base located at the northern pole of the planet.
    I think it's confirmed that there's only one QEP. A teleporter would probably make the most sense as to how you get there.
    If they do ever make something like that, I don't expect it to start development for a lonnng time after 1.0 comes out.
    Actually work on whatever type of expansion their doing will probably have already started within a month after release.

• KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    edited December 2017
    looks like a tropical place to me...
    where would you guys put an arctic biome ?
    add "more map" on the north or south ?
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Kostriktor wrote: »
    looks like a tropical place to me...
    where would you guys put an arctic biome ?
    add "more map" on the north or south ?

You answered your own question buddy and also that's why there's the void so they can add biomes when they want to
    I'd rather them find another way to add more places that isn't putting stuff in the Dead Zone.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I'd rather them find another way to add more places that isn't putting stuff in the Dead Zone.

Like loading different terrain maps. Upon entering certain teleports, during the teleport, unload v1.0 world and load in Arctic world. Either way you do it, you'd also want to save old progress (bases, etc) the player created from v1.0
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I forget who said this, but a precursor city would be cool.