Eye Candy Update Released - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageEye Candy Update Released - Subnautica

Get those eyeballs ready, Subnautica has received a massive graphics overhaul. This is the Eye Candy Update: Subnautica has never looked so good.   A host of new graphics options...

Read the full story here

Comments

• keeperoflennethkeeperoflenneth Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234278Members
    edited December 2017
    I'm actually a little sad about the lifepod drift fix, haha. I liked it as kind of a "timer" to make it not drift toward the radiation zone so you either had to get the lead suit, or repair the grav anhor before it did. But sometimes it drifted away, so I was a little disappointed when i realized this wasn't a failure condition timer and was just happenstance. lol

Rest of it all looks wonderful though! I can't wait to dive in on release :grin:
  • TerraCrafterGamingTerraCrafterGaming Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234279Members
    Thank you devs for all the hard work you guys have been putting in to make this game awesome, I play here and there, but I want to do complete story mode whenever you release it. I don't care how long it takes, take your time. I just want to say fantastic job so far and that this could be Game of the Year worthy!!!
  • BFCrusaderBFCrusader Sweden Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234281Members
    I hope this includes the bug of seeing the Aurora wreck from many miles away underwater and other bugs of its like.
  • TerraCrafterGamingTerraCrafterGaming Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234279Members
    BFCrusader wrote: »
    I hope this includes the bug of seeing the Aurora wreck from many miles away underwater and other bugs of its like.
    maybe

• novalogicnovalogic Bulgaria Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232944Members
    "Eye candy" would have been fixing the blurry image to be clear, not making the clear blurry. The trailer alone is hard on the eyes, imagine playing with that blur for an hour. Headache for a week and glasses for life after that.
  • ZaichiZaichi Europe Join Date: 2017-01-16 Member: 226846Members
    edited December 2017
    I love all the new options, especially blurry image feel. Can't stress enough how wonderful it is to be in water now. Gives a whole new feel to it. Though it seems on experimental some minor update removed that graphic even though the option is turned on, or it at least made it show further away from the player, which honestly makes the option not even there anymore. Hopefully it's just temporary because I would hate to see it go away or be tweaked to end up less blurry.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    The 'blur' is not standard, and is a Depth of Field effect that can be enabled or disabled. Youtube and compression actually harms the quality quite a bit.

Combined with the decision to use quick and fast-moving clips, the trailer is really... let's go wtih "not flattering" to put it diplomatically. I'm guessing nobody on the team actually specializes in publicity or video editing, and it's just someone on the dev team taking the time to throw it together?

Or just rolled a 1 on your "Craft (Trailer)" check. It happens to the best of us. :P
  • gwakamolgwakamol Join Date: 2017-11-14 Member: 233982Members
    when you add this update on the xbox one ?

• aquaman_22aquaman_22 Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234290Members
    How about an update for the Xbox one x? Please and thank you
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    edited December 2017
    OH JOY HOW WONDERFUL we get motion blur. But fortunately I see you gave us an option to turn it off. If I look at my screen and it's blurred, it means I'm too tired to be playing and need to go to bed.

Cheers for bug fixes and auto-storage of PRAWN drilled resources.

Now I have to wait for the update to show up on Steam, I guess...
  • FlamingChickenWingsFlamingChickenWings Netherlands Join Date: 2017-10-27 Member: 233751Members
    I wrote this comment on the trailer on youtube, but I'll repeat it here: after trying it out and tweaking it to my liking a bit, I definitely think this is an upgrade! The depth of field really helps making distances feel larger, and I really like how the background blurs out when you bring up the PDA. The trailer and screenshots shown here make it look like a serious downgrade though.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2017
    So, the new Filmic mode is AMAZING. Motion blur, I leave off -- what happened to the slider? I coulda swore there was a motion blur intensity slider, and I don't see it any more, so I have to shut it off. Depth of Field now is 90% where I'd want it, I'd still like to be able to tone it down a bit more, but I can stand leaving it on and it's enjoyable now. Would, of course, still prefer a slider there as well.

All told, though, amazing work! I should probably start a playthrough and try to find all the remaining immersion-breaking bugs and make a list (there's a few, like the lifepod signal shows up stuck to the screen if you have it disabled in ping manager and reload the game @Belgarel )

Home stretch, yay! ;)

EDIT: Also, don't be made at the LifePod for drifting, it always wanted to be an AE86 when it grew up.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2017
    Video compression always has trouble with any kind of blur and motion, especially when outlines are all blurred.

Still the this Subnautica DoF is more of a really strange peripheral blur, instead of what you'd expect from a DoF
  • Area52Area52 Netherlands Join Date: 2017-12-02 Member: 234206Members
    Uhm my base in creative mode is full of water since the update, does this mean creative mode is changed? and i spawnd in many plants but they are all gone now, is there a way to get those back in from a previous save?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    edited December 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    So, the new Filmic mode is AMAZING. Motion blur, I leave off -- what happened to the slider? I coulda swore there was a motion blur intensity slider, and I don't see it any more, so I have to shut it off. Depth of Field now is 90% where I'd want it, I'd still like to be able to tone it down a bit more, but I can stand leaving it on and it's enjoyable now. Would, of course, still prefer a slider there as well.
    I make most of these words mine. Except on motion blur, it appears to have three levels now, besides off, and that's fine by me. Wish there was at least the same for DoF (sliders are definitely best though).

Would also love to have a "vivid" mode of some kind, which threw the saturation through the roof. Having all those colors pop out even more (if at all possible).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'd love to have a realistic color filter as well. Muting all the red, basically you know... Realistic water colors, that would make Sunautica a whole lot more atmospheric, instead of using the over-saturated cartoon colors :tongue:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    I make most of these words mine. Except on motion blur, it appears to have three levels now, besides off, and that's fine by me. Wish there was at least the same for DoF (sliders are definitely best though).

Would also love to have a "vivid" mode of some kind, which threw the saturation through the roof. Having all those colors pop out even more (if at all possible).

I thought the motion blur "levels" were quality? Like, how smooth do your want your blurriness to be? If it's amount, I'll have to play with it.
  • icesamzeroicesamzero United States Join Date: 2017-08-17 Member: 232453Members
    AGH SO AMAZEBUCKETS I CAN't

the no-stars-thru-planets is such an impact, go figure

But the filmic effect at night? Holy crap, the safe shallows have never felt less safe! I kinda like the old "omg bright all the colors whoo" of having the effect off during the day, but absolutely adore the effect at night. So spoopy, can't wait to see it in the Lost River and onwards, never mind the Blood Kelp zone (shudder)....

DoF is always a mixed bag for me, but underwater it *makes so much sense.* I dig.

I usually abhor motion blur, but it's really well done here! Y'all are awesome. Also, lens dirt and chromatic aberration? Hello SOMA feels, thanks so much for that. :/

On a new game it's very clear that some optimization has really been going on behind the scenes, and I can imagine that that's a heck of an undertaking. Either way, loving it (anew) so much that I stayed up way too late even after returning from a trip dead-tired. :D Thanks for all you do!

<O<
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members
    Nice update, I'm also happy to see there's not just visual stuff being tweaked (beside the bugfixes).

chromatic abberation : Let's get the hate out of the way, first: Chromatic abberation in games is a totally idiotic (pardon me) effect (especially for 1st-person views) and the bored shader programmer who once came up with it will probably burn in hell, most likely also for the crime of inventing "vignetting". I guess it has become a "must have" for game visuals these days, but tbh. I'd rather see it used selectively where it makes sense, i.e. only when viewing through the scanner-drone's camera's cheap lenses, instead of with the FPS-view.

PRAWN automatically picks up ore : Hell yeah, together with the PRAWN propulsion arm this is gonna put the "mine!" back in mining - awesome detail change!

Dive reel : I was often thinking "well, if the line would be better to see..." - seems I've used up one of my christmas wishes ;)
  • gbuzz1216gbuzz1216 Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228771Members
    2 Questions: When will this be released for Xbox one and Will xbox one x have subnautica in 4k?
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    If nobody noticed, scanner rooms now have a scroll option for scans! WOOT!
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    edited December 2017
    At this point I would have paid full price for a DLC that did nothing except these scanner room changes. You are my hero, devs. <3
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Certainly pretty awesome, but the blurring effect (while it may make the underwater bits look more like they're underwater) is a bit... strange. Regardless, nice!
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »

I thought the motion blur "levels" were quality? Like, how smooth do your want your blurriness to be? If it's amount, I'll have to play with it.

I'm really tired and nearly drunk, so kinda slow (slower than usual). I can't get the difference between blur intensity and blur quality. Anyone feeling like explaining for a 6y old so I can understand?
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Certainly pretty awesome, but the blurring effect (while it may make the underwater bits look more like they're underwater) is a bit... strange. Regardless, nice!

Yeah Dithering is weird. Don't really get how it's supposed to make the game more immersive or whatever it's for.
  • cwsumnercwsumner US Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234305Members
    Warvis wrote: »
    chromatic abberation : Let's get the hate out of the way, first: Chromatic abberation in games is a totally idiotic (pardon me) effect (especially for 1st-person views) and the bored shader programmer who once came up with it will probably burn in hell, most likely also for the crime of inventing "vignetting". I guess it has become a "must have" for game visuals these days, but tbh. I'd rather see it used selectively where it makes sense, i.e. only when viewing through the scanner-drone's camera's cheap lenses, instead of with the FPS-view. ...

Agree with that, the camera effects break immersion when you are supposedly looking through your own eyes! I understand that you might need them for "bennie points", just make sure they can be disabled (except for the drone cameras where they make sense). :-)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Nearly all of these graphics upgrades are just post-processing effects that I could implement with some random injector (and half of them make the game look worse), so this post shouldn't sound like it's much of an accomplishment.
    edited December 2017
    cwsumner wrote: »
    Warvis wrote: »
    chromatic abberation : Let's get the hate out of the way, first: Chromatic abberation in games is a totally idiotic (pardon me) effect (especially for 1st-person views) and the bored shader programmer who once came up with it will probably burn in hell, most likely also for the crime of inventing "vignetting". I guess it has become a "must have" for game visuals these days, but tbh. I'd rather see it used selectively where it makes sense, i.e. only when viewing through the scanner-drone's camera's cheap lenses, instead of with the FPS-view. ...

Agree with that, the camera effects break immersion when you are supposedly looking through your own eyes! I understand that you might need them for "bennie points", just make sure they can be disabled (except for the drone cameras where they make sense). :-)

The camera effects are quite a strange addition, unless they are implying it is supposed to have something to do with the underwater goggles, which... Well isn't a camera lens but... Still a piece of glass?

I dunno, just trying to figure out what their reasoning is behind implementing chromatic aberration, lens artifacts also why we're now doing some oldschool dithering

This is the first game where I like the motion blur btw, still not going to use lens-vaseline-DoF