Translation quality check

AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
edited February 2019 in Translations
As we're getting closer to the v1.0, we have to make sure translations quality is good. Have any of you found any inapropriate translations accepted? Or maybe you found other issues in them?

Let me know below! Please remember to post name of the language you're referring to.

Remember you can always PM me.

Comments

• MadeMyDayMadeMyDay Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222267Members
    edited November 2017
    Localization : German
    Version : 56208

Found some issues, listed in spoiler.
    - Blaue Kappe / Graue Kappe : In der ersten Zeile beim Mouse-Over wird die Farbe richtig zugeordnet. Im Text darunter sind die Farben vertauscht.
    - PDA > Sprachnachrichten : Es sind noch viele Marker für späteren Text vorhanden.
    * ###1000 , ###3000 : Sunbeam-1
    * ###1000 , ###2000 : Sunbeam-2
    * ###2000 : Sunbeam-4 (Ankunft) (4x)
    * ###4100 : PrecursorGun Kontrollraum
    * ###5000 : Sea-Emperor-1 (2x)

Es wäre auch schön den "Moonpool" endlich einzudeutschen. Das ist ein Trockendock, oder eine Andockbucht, oder eine Andockstation.

Searching for more.
  • WillemVWillemV Dallas, TX Join Date: 2017-05-24 Member: 230737Members

@AceDude, Do the Devs have a termination point when they finally stop making changes to the original strings?

I'll tell you honestly that this has been the single most discouraging aspect with translating -- to constantly have to redo entries.

And have the Devs also processed the info from this thread?

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/151520/mistakes-in-original-strings/p1

Cheers!

• JokletoxJokletox France Join Date: 2017-10-24 Member: 233699Members
    edited November 2017
    Localization : French
    Version : 56448

0pwf92n3uc26.png

• LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    edited November 2017
    WillemV wrote: »
    @AceDude, Do the Devs have a termination point when they finally stop making changes to the original strings?

I'll tell you honestly that this has been the single most discouraging aspect with translating -- to constantly have to redo entries.

Unfortunately I don't think there will ever be a feature lock on translation strings. I know it's super cumbersome to fix things that break over and over again. It happens not only in translations but everywhere in game development. Things have crazy dependency chains and developers change things all the time, which means everything down the line breaks. Materials, animations, prefabs, collisions, game logic, translations, save/load, etc. Everything breaks all the time. I wish there was a better process, but I don't think there is. The only consolation is that we're all in the same boat.
  • ShtongShtong France Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203480Members
    edited December 2017
    A lot of entries in the translation website have CORRUPTED as their text. Is this normal ? Should we translate these or leave them alone ?

Also, on the subject of translation quality, I posted this a while ago https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152852/localization-issue-incorrect-word-order-that-cannot-be-fixed-by-translators (but maybe it's been fixed now, I haven't checked it recently) (nevermind I just saw the DeadFormat entry that probably fixes that)
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Over time we have removed a bunch of entries from the game. We still need to keep them around for old savegames though, that's why we replaced the text with something mysterious like "CORRUPTED" or "REMOVED". It's not important to translate them, they shouldn't show up in new games, but it can't hurt.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    LumpN wrote: »
    WillemV wrote: »

Unfortunately I don't think there will ever be a feature lock on translation strings. I know it's super cumbersome to fix things that break over and over again. It happens not only in translations but everywhere in game development. Things have crazy dependency chains and developers change things all the time, which means everything down the line breaks. Materials, animations, prefabs, collisions, game logic, translations, save/load, etc. Everything breaks all the time. I wish there was a better process, but I don't think there is. The only consolation is that we're all in the same boat.

Here is a great article from TVTropes.org regarding this very topic. When data from any kind of programming (whether it's video games, programs or anything similar) is Dummied Out, it typically has to remain in the code. Even if the code in question is not being actively used, simply removing the code could cause unintended behavior (or even break the entire game) as tiny dependencies, references or values within the code still relay information to other lines of code.

On a related note, tcrf.net is a site that documents unused code left in commercially released video games - it's fascinating to see what ideas the developers were kicking around before they were discarded for various reasons. :blush:
  • Kindrat_KnyshKindrat_Knysh Ukraine Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218608Members
    There is an issue with Ukrainian translation (by the way, other translations have the same issue): some words don't fit in one line and are randomly divided. Here's what I mean (underlined words must be solid):
    rxlfpww1qdkz.png
    Is there a possibility to solve it?
  • Kindrat_KnyshKindrat_Knysh Ukraine Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218608Members