Dive Reel Updates in Experimental Mode

Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
The devs have just updated how the Dive Reel works in experimental mode. Instead of having a rope that trails behind you, it will place these floating markers down as you move along, which are currently just green orbs, but are planned to be changed to hologram projectors that point to the previous marker.
ivwjgi05sius.png

Thoughts on this change?

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Will it still use 5 creepvines?
    And I'll probably keep ignoring it, as I rarely get lost.

I would prefer if we could hit a button and it reeled us in, towards where it was anchored. Some sort of "Oh f%ck!!" button you would hit when needing to get out of a cave/wreck fast.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited December 2017
    Maalteromm wrote: »

I would prefer if we could hit a button and it reeled us in, towards where it was anchored. Some sort of "Oh f%ck!!" button you would hit when needing to get out of a cave/wreck fast.

I've only gotten lost a few times in recent history, latest was when taking my exosuit through the Koosh Zone caves (Which I imagined the old Crash Zone - ILZ cave being styled after if it had been kept) and before that the cave in the Mushroom "tree". The former I managed to find my way out of eventually, the latter I ended up drowning (And with an Ultra High Capacity tank too ;v; )

Overall it's not something I've ever really felt the need to use often, but it's nice that it's there for those who may find it useful. Kinda like the Flares, LED Stick, Pipes, and Grav Trap. They all have fairly niche uses, but it's nice to have them all the same. I actually kinda like using the Grav Trap though. I just wish it'd have a stronger pull and/or having a slowing effect too rather than merely tethering things.
    I'm very methodical with gear. Grav Trap I only use while drilling, Light Stick, Pipes and Dive reel I've never built. Never felt the need to and building them would put other priorities behind. Plus it's a few more storage slots dedicated to gear and I try to minimize this whenever possible.
    I like the flares, I use the starting ones and only make a flashlight when they are gone, which take like forever. I just wish they worked in two steps, first press of the button ignites them, second throws them. I hate diving to catch a flare I just wanted to light up and carry it in my hand.
    I also think we should be able to run while holding a flare, if you do it darkens like running with a flashlight or with the seaglide, but unlike those the flare does not work with directional light.

And I only die by drowning. The fauna is too passive and do too little damage. It feels like environmental hazards are negligible and so is food/water too.
    I mostly die because I always try to breath on the last second and it usually works, unless when it don't. =)
    edited December 2017
    I'm very methodical with gear. Grav Trap I only use while drilling, Light Stick, Pipes and Dive reel I've never built. Never felt the need to and building them would put other priorities behind. Plus it's a few more storage slots dedicated to gear and I try to minimize this whenever possible.
    I like the flares, I use the starting ones and only make a flashlight when they are gone, which take like forever. I just wish they worked in two steps, first press of the button ignites them, second throws them. I hate diving to catch a flare I just wanted to light up and carry it in my hand.
    I also think we should be able to run while holding a flare, if you do it darkens like running with a flashlight or with the seaglide, but unlike those the flare does not work with directional light.

And I only die by drowning. The fauna is too passive and do too little damage. It feels like environmental hazards are negligible and so is food/water too.
    I mostly die because I always try to breath on the last second and it usually works, unless when it don't. =)

They made it so that drilled loot is auto-collected if the exosuit's close enough, so that's not necessary anymore.

Light Stick I've only built a couple times, more out of curiosity than anything. I think they're pretty much worthless.

Pipes I can do without most of the time, so whenever I use them it's because I want to try a different playstyle or want to challenge myself; like when building a base in the Scarce Reef (My "first" base, as in without a seamoth or extended tanks) or in a more extreme example - at the bottom of the Blood Kelp Trench. Without even a seaglide or anything more than a basic airtank. Pipes were pretty useful then.

Fauna being too passive is something I totally, utterly do not agree with. The bonesharks especially home in on me from a great distance and they always travel in swarms. The only time leviathans don't bug me is when I'm in the exosuit, and even then there's been more close encounters than I care to deal with.

Too little damage? Only to the exosuit IMO. The seamoth's made of paper when it comes to bonesharks and leviathans, and the cyclops has to GTFO if two reapers are nearby otherwise you risk it collapsing.

If anything certain fauna *cough like bonesharks* are too aggressive, and damage's just fine. Hull Reinforcement module is useless because it DOESN'T reduce damage from the hyperaggressive bonesharks / "two bites and your seamoth is gone" reapers.

I've never, ever seen someone say the fauna's too passive before xD Environmental damage though, I def agree with. Except for the acid pools in the River, environmental damage is ignorable. Feels like the superhot water only does one damage every few seconds, which is so small it might as well not be there.

That being said, it might be nice if Subnautica had a pre-game option like OSIRIS: New Dawn has that controls the hostility of fauna. Can make them range from being very peaceful to acting as homing missiles that zero in on you once you enter their line of sight. Then everyone's happy. Feel the game's too easy and sleepy or even too hard and cruel, adjust it to your liking.

I've died of dehydration numerous times, but only because I'm lazy with taking supplies with me onto prolonged trips. Usually it's drowning or the occasional leviathan. I've never died to superhot water, and only died to acid once (Was holding the "Idiot Ball" at the time and thought I could grab a piece of nickel I dropped before the acid did me in)

Would be nice if you could carry flares though yeah.
    edited December 2017
    Addendum to the above post; I have actually seen someone say fauna was too passive, but only once. Referring to the Sea Dragon Leviathan spending most of its time ignoring you and/or attacking other local fauna rather than going after you. Everything else though, people tend to say it's either too aggressive, or mostly okay.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Well, there goes its chances to be included in the Grappling arm.

Too bad, it had the potential to be used more often, but I can see it being put on the chopping block pretty quickly once it updates.

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Even with these new updates I still think it's still pretty useless.

To make the Dive Reel useful would require a major change to the design of caves, and if there isn't enough time for that then I think they should just remove it.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    I think this is a cool idea. But it be great if you could leave the dive reel stuff forever. So the holo arrows act as runway lights.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited December 2017
    That's neat, but it's still just another tool like the air pump, light stick, and grab trap that I mess around with for 5 minutes and throw in the back of a storage locker and never touch again.

^ all of those items need some upgrades or other incentive to use them.

The grav trap is still useful if you're looking for outcrops, and It's fun to screw around with.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited December 2017
    Rezca wrote: »

I've only gotten lost a few times in recent history, latest was when taking my exosuit through the Koosh Zone caves (Which I imagined the old Crash Zone - ILZ cave being styled after if it had been kept) and before that the cave in the Mushroom "tree". The former I managed to find my way out of eventually, the latter I ended up drowning (And with an Ultra High Capacity tank too ;v; )

Overall it's not something I've ever really felt the need to use often, but it's nice that it's there for those who may find it useful. Kinda like the Flares, LED Stick, Pipes, and Grav Trap. They all have fairly niche uses, but it's nice to have them all the same. I actually kinda like using the Grav Trap though. I just wish it'd have a stronger pull and/or having a slowing effect too rather than merely tethering things.

Oh yeah, the bulb zone caves are literal hell to get out from. I got my seamoth lost once, and had to terraform my way out.

kingkuma wrote: »

Oh yeah, the bulb zone caves are literal hell to get out from. I got my seamoth lost once, and had to terraform my way out.

I went in out of curiosity and immediately regretted it xD

Wasn't much of interest beyond it looking kind of cool. Which seems to be the case with most small cave systems IMO.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    They've finished modeling the hologram projectors.
    upload.png
    @Rezca
    Funny, we have very different experiences regarding fauna. I never had my cyclops attacked by anything. Literally never had to repair it. When I see a Levi I just slow down the engine and turn silent running on, as soon as I pass through it I put speed back to normal and turn SR off. If I hear the Levi roar (which means it might attack) I throttle the speed up for like 10sec and that's it.
    I also feel the sharks are the most aggressive fauna, but I just ignore them and after 2-3 hits stop to fix the seamoth. Only time I felt a little worried about fauna was when exploring the wreck at the floating islands and I got back to a nearly destroyed seamoth. Repaired it, found a new parking stop and went back to the wreck. After that I built the Seamoth defense system, but it only works when I'm on the seamoth, so it's not really that useful. It would be much better if it was a toggle and everytime some predator approached it would shock it, expending maybe ~5 -10 times the current power cost. Just so I could park it safely.
    When free swimming and a predator comes I just swim in circles around them. I don't approach Levis just swimming, it is bad for my anxiety.

And the PRAWN is so badass I grapple Levis just for kicks.

Only time a Levi killed me, I was inside the Lava Castle entrance and the Dragon was chilling looking at my power armor, all like "wow, that's so nice and interesting", so I swan to its face and started scanning it from below its head, looking at its chin. And it kept there until ~80% of the scan. Then it made a loud CHOMP without even an animation and I died.
    I've only had the cyclops be attacked a few times lately and it's been by reapers and once by the ghost. Bonesharks still charge at it but don't really do anything (Anymore. They used to be able to do serious damage to it if in groups)

Having to toggle them is why I don't use the Shielding system anymore either.
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/153394/close-encounter-with-the-leviathans-minor-spoilers
    It drained so much energy over such a short time and only blocked damage once. How is that supposed to be practical?

Yeah see, I keep telling people the exosuit is awesome!

I think that's the attack where it outright swallows you, and there used to be an animation where it showed you disappearing into its mouth, but then it glitched out a few updates later so it'd play the animation but then you'd glitch outside its mouth to start flailing around (but still die) and a few updates after that it was glitched even further. Since they're working on the Sea Dragon's animations lately maybe it'll be fixed up soon.

Since it only uses that attack if you're out in the open, I don't see it that much. It'd much rather fireball you or you'll be in your exosuit.

The Sea Dragon I've had to go out of my way to get it to attack me most of the time, unless the RNG simply hated me at the time. There's just so many things for it to attack that it often seems to prefer picking on those over me. Usually.
    The Sea Dragon I've had to go out of my way to get it to attack me most of the time, unless the RNG simply hated me at the time. There's just so many things for it to attack that it often seems to prefer picking on those over me. Usually.

I find it to be really peaceful, it just swims around circling the castle. Sometimes stop and keeps looking at the character or a vehicle like it's really puzzled and interested. Once it stopped right in front of my Cyclops (it was parked at the time, engine offline) and kept starring at the bridge, after a minute or so it swam away.
    edited December 2017

I find it to be really peaceful, it just swims around circling the castle. Sometimes stop and keeps looking at the character or a vehicle like it's really puzzled and interested. Once it stopped right in front of my Cyclops (it was parked at the time, engine offline) and kept starring at the bridge, after a minute or so it swam away.

I noticed that as well, and began to wonder if it was intentional or a flaw in its behavior. To be honest, I'd adore the Sea Dragon to be the exception to the leviathan hostility, and it would be something that you'd need to provoke to get to attack you. As you are, you're too small for it to really care if you're wandering around in its territory. It eats Reapers, what would something your size mean to it? At most you'd be a curiosity since its never seen something like you before.

Maybe that'd be your chance to keep yourself on their good side - if you remain calm and don't make any sudden movements (Or launch a torpedo at it or stick your Drilling Arm in its face) then it'll deem you not to be a threat to itself or its territory and leave you be. Most players would probably have had enough negative experiences from the other two leviathans to reasonably assume the Sea Dragon would react similarly and thus somehow botch that chance to placate it on their first encounter, so it'd be like the Islands and the Aurora: If you know that ahead of time, it's simple - but newcomers likely will not.

You can get the entire Seamoth and Exosuit blueprints just by popping over to the Aurora and swimming past a Reaper, or you can scurry all over the map finding fragments here and there. Most of my friends ended up finding said blueprints in wrecks and such because they were afraid of approaching the Aurora and didn't know they could get both subs in one sitting there.

Of course if you attack it at any point it'll revoke that permission to traverse its territory unhindered and be hostile to you :P

It's something I think would be pretty neat for its behavior. Rather than just wildly attacking you because you're the Player Character and thusly everything has to be against you, you have a way to interact with it and it'll be YOUR fault if it decides to be your enemy, rather than because it's programmed to hate you. It'd make it look intelligent and be more dynamic, and provide a little extra flavor to the game where up until now everything's just out to kill you because you happen to not look like them - with the Stalker being the (only?) exception, in that you can temporarily render them passive by feeding or playing with them. That sort of complex behavior I'd like to see extended to certain other animals too.

The Sea Dragon would just be like, as long as you behave yourself in its territory and don't do anything to show that you're its enemy, it'll leave you be (You'll still have the Warpers and other fauna to deal with though). Would that make things too easy? Possibly, but so is having the seamoth and exosuit fragments all in one spot "guarded" by a reaper that you can easily swim by since its too low in the water column for it to notice you. If you know ahead of time that you can placate the sea dragon, then it might be easy. If you don't know (Or provoke it in any way) then you ruin that chance. There's a lot of room to be creative with this creature and give it some personality!
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    The devs have just updated how the Dive Reel works in experimental mode. Instead of having a rope that trails behind you, it will place these floating markers down as you move along, which are currently just green orbs, but are planned to be changed to hologram projectors that point to the previous marker.
    ivwjgi05sius.png

Thoughts on this change?

Dislike it personally.
    What is the point of removing a known Nautical/Dive related equipments that give you a sense of hard survival (since it's low-tech)
    If it's to replace it by an extravagant and overly sophisticated high-tech markers?

Just making it luminous (and not bug falling out of the map) would have sufficed.
    Well that and giving it more use. It's hard to get lost.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    edited December 2017
    The dive reel might be useless now but after 1.0 you never know what could happen to the caves and other stuff in the game