[BUG] Wreck 2 fragments unscannable [FIXED]

baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
edited December 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Experimental Build #56208

Many of the fragments that spawn in Wreck 2 (near Lifepod 17) simply cannot be targeted for scanning. In some cases this is because they are embedded too deeply into the surfaces they rest on. This bug appears to affect only the Laser Cutter and Battery Charger fragments; this particular bug has existed for months.

Comments

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    As of Build #56710, this problem is still occurring in this wreck.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited December 2017
    As of Build #57272, not only is this problem persisting, it's actually worse. For Battery Charger fragments, three of the four I found in Wreck 2 were scannable, but six out of seven Laser Cutter fragments were not. It didn't matter from what distance or angle I tried scanning them.

Six unscannable fragments.

That's the sort of thing that would make me rage-quit and demand a refund if I were a new player. Please fix this? Pretty please??

EDIT: I went deeper into the wreck (where the PDA is) and found two more unscannable Laser Cutter fragments, bringing the total up to eight. I also found two more Battery Charger fragments, one of which was scannable (but it didn't matter at that point).

Am I the only player experiencing this problem?? This is in a save I started today.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I have experienced this type of problem a few times. Maybe not too much because I tend to avoid scanning acquired blueprints so it won't clutter my inventory.
    I may give it a go later and check if I find any unscannable frags.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Please take a screenshot of the area you're in, with the F1 menu open. We can then look into it.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I couldn't find unscannable fragments in this wreck, but I'm certain I experienced this.
    And we aren't alone.
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/153227/blueprints-bugs-55881

Maybe it's fixed.
    Screenshots taken, F1 visible (but "goto wreck2" will take you to the wreck in question). I'm a bit new to imgur, but the screenshots can all be found here: https://imgur.com/a/Dhekg
    At this point I just want to know if the game is trolling me. No hard feelings if it is, and well played, etc., but this is happening in Experimental Build# 57565:

0gcjdcb.jpg

I can't pick this PDA up. Not with my hands, not with a Propulsion Cannon. This PDA appears to be partially buried or embedded in the terrain. This PDA is also fairly significant. (And frankly, you don't even want to know what Wreck 2 is doing in this save.)
    These PDA shenanigans are persisting through Build #57745. Eventually, I'm going to remember to stop quitting to Desktop and upload a save for y'all to examine.
  • Inny78Inny78 France Join Date: 2017-11-02 Member: 233820Members
    edited December 2017
    #57766 fixed PDA on floating island from being able to be picked up on min settings, adjusted collision in Grassy Wreck 2 for better scanning of fragments.
    Inny78 wrote: »
    #57766 fixed PDA on floating island from being able to be picked up on min settings, adjusted collision in Grassy Wreck 2 for better scanning of fragments.

I can confirm that the PDA can be picked up again. However, Wreck 2 is still largely full of unscannable fragments. On my current save, there were a ton of fragments in Wreck 2, and I was able to successfully scan four different blueprints to completion, but half that ton is still unscannable, and I wasn't even able to completely scan the Mobile Vehicle Bay. I'll upload some screenshots later.
    When I made the above comment, the build# was 57770. I saw there was an update, so I updated to #57793 and started yet another new save (but I kept the previous one). I've noticed something, and I don't know if it'll be of use to the devs, but here goes:

The chance of a fragment being unscannable depends on whether or not it spawns on top of a box, or on a floor (or any non-box surface in the wreck). That even goes for Propulsion Cannon fragments in boxes-- if the box itself is on the floor, the fragment has a chance to be unscannable. Fragments that spawn on top of boxes appear to be scannable 100% of the time.
    Looks like there's a second pass on fragments in wreck 2. Not published yet, but check again post #57836.
    Looks like there's a second pass on fragments in wreck 2. Not published yet, but check again post #57836.

Not that I don't appreciate it, but I guarantee that by the time you advise me to check the updates, I've already done it.

5yyyLTV.jpg

(That's since February.)
    Well, I guess I don't need to ask you if you like the game then. ;)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

Not that I don't appreciate it, but I guarantee that by the time you advise me to check the updates, I've already done it.

5yyyLTV.jpg

(That's since February.)

jaw.gif
    Well... at least 480 hours of that is me dragging myself off to bed too tired to un-pause the game, then sleeping 8 hours. For at least six months, though? I played nothing else.
    I'm on a bit of a binge myself, but I've taken to watching new players stream on YouTube (some aren't quite as annoying as others) as I can almost re-capture the sense of wonder from when I first played through.

Also, I try to comment and make their life easier (without spoilers, of course) hoping to make everyone's Subnautica experience the best it can be and also increase its reach (maybe, haha... probably negligible impact though).
    Started a new save in #57895 to test some things out and every fragment in Wreck 2 was scannable. Devs, I cannot thank you enough for fixing this. I feel like I finally have my game back!
    Started a new save in #57895 to test some things out and every fragment in Wreck 2 was scannable. Devs, I cannot thank you enough for fixing this. I feel like I finally have my game back!

FYI, wrecks are in CellsCache. So if you go to Wreck 2, open up the F1 window and note down and clear the affected cell files, you should be able to update any old saved games that have this bug in them.