Should Subnautica have legitimate flying creatures?

justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members
edited November 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Yes I know of the little things that fly in the air but I mean something else, something bigger.

Comments

• AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    What would be the point? Even the skyrays serve no purpose other than decoration, there would be no point in them
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2018
    actually skyrays are kinda important. and by that I mean it is just some random thing they added into game that is related to the rabbit ray. which is related to the jelly ray. which is related to the ghost ray. which is related to the crimson ray. which is related to an unnamed fauna.

Edit: please note that skyrays have been changed to be no longer related to the other rays. Despite it having Ray in its name. And somehow the Ghost Leviathan isn't realated to the rays despite all the similarities
  • RebmesRebmes Join Date: 2017-04-28 Member: 230074Members
    What would be the point? Even the skyrays serve no purpose other than decoration, there would be no point in them

The point of flying fish decoration is already well-fulfilled, we don't need more. The only exception would be if we are able to fly at some point as well.
  • SERGIUSERGIU Romania Join Date: 2017-11-19 Member: 234041Members
    My opinion is that we don't need flying creatures.
  • nexoboomnexoboom Lara Join Date: 2017-11-11 Member: 233934Members
    i think it would be a nice small touch
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited December 2017
    There's already a flying creature in the game, and you can hitch a ride on it if you don't mind taking a possibly fatal amount of falling damage.

Can you provide a compelling evolutionary reason why there should be more than one flying creature when it only has a home on one extremely small island biome?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Can you provide a compelling evolutionary reason why there should be more than one flying creature when it only has a home on one extremely small island biome?
    Real Earth flying fish can glide for hundreds of meters. Many water birds can fly and land/takeoff from water. There are water insects that don't need to "land" on dry land, but are still capable of flying.

Hypothetically an aquatic animal capable of flying should have several advantages. Escaping predators, cover more area while hunting/fishing and improved scouting (either for predators or prey) to name a few.

I'm content with Skyrays though.
  • Jim444Jim444 Join Date: 2017-11-20 Member: 234049Members
    Maybe 1 or 2 flying raptors above the islands who are fishing around there, but player could be also a nice prey. Their eggs could be a pet in the seabase.
  • EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    We just need to make a conclusive food web for the ecosystem (surface, caves, lost, lava) before talking about addition of new creatures. Stuff has to fit in, not just "be"
  • Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    Some sort of flying fish would be cool. Honestly I've never really noticed Skyrays on the Floating Island. so maybe that could be a good spot, considering the little lagoon-type thing in the center.
  • Hertz94Hertz94 Join Date: 2018-03-07 Member: 238683Members
    There's already a flying creature in the game, and you can hitch a ride on it if you don't mind taking a possibly fatal amount of falling damage.

It could be menaing more than two "small island biome"s. Somewhere... after the Void because, you know, they would fly. No problem whatsoever with Ghost Leviatans. ;)
    It could be seen only few times, like after the Sunbeam's explosion. It could be a predator that before it "falls down" it fly trough it - like swallows - and eats meat bdfore disappearing in ghe distance with a loud noise.
  • Muninn_CrowMuninn_Crow Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238401Members
    edited March 2018
    Personally, I think additional flying creatures (even if just the large Skyray bird) would be an excellent addition. In particular, I'd want an expanded biome ecosystem with the birds having colonies (nests in the rocks like shore birds often do). Very easy to implement, if they copy the Grabcrab's nesting code for the birds to return to their nests.
    However, I do find it ridiculous that the birds drown so easily, seeing as they live out on the ocean. I'm actually surprised they eat seeds from local plants and not fish. This is likely why we haven't seen infected birds at all. This said, a diving bird for small fish in the shallows would be excellent, as there is no reason for Skyrays to venture away from their islands at any point.

If the large bird were incorporated alongside the standard Skyrays, I think it could take on the role of alpha, and try and protect the nests from the player's intrusion on certain mountain trails. There isn't much else for birds to do, but such minor tweaks as nesting would boost their immersion considerably.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    Personally, I think additional flying creatures (even if just the large Skyray bird) would be an excellent addition. In particular, I'd want an expanded biome ecosystem with the birds having colonies (nests in the rocks like shore birds often do). Very easy to implement, if they copy the Grabcrab's nesting code for the birds to return to their nests.
    However, I do find it ridiculous that the birds drown so easily, seeing as they live out on the ocean. I'm actually surprised they eat seeds from local plants and not fish. This is likely why we haven't seen infected birds at all. This said, a diving bird for small fish in the shallows would be excellent, as there is no reason for Skyrays to venture away from their islands at any point.

If the large bird were incorporated alongside the standard Skyrays, I think it could take on the role of alpha, and try and protect the nests from the player's intrusion on certain mountain trails. There isn't much else for birds to do, but such minor tweaks as nesting would boost their immersion considerably.

I approve of this and only wish to mention how good a pet one of these would make. Ya' know, if you tame an alpha you can call upon an areal assault and a bunch of diving birds would suddenly plunge through the water like gunfire and drill whatever's attacking you with holes. So majestic.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I would like more that can fly. ASWELL as some that can fly and swim.

Basically, some more like Skyrays, and some like PEEPERS WITH WINGS BOI
  • Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    edited March 2018
    @AkuMasterofMasters @SERGIU @Rebmes @baronvonsatan It just something that might make the place a little more nice. Just to lighten up the place or something :)
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    It is my dream to one day be able to hatch Skyrays by placing it into an Aviary that functions like the Alien Containment, but all flying creatures still require land for a nesting area (a place that could potentially have their eggs), which the game map does not provide very much of. The only places above sea level are the Aurora (fire, radiation, occasional shaking, sloped roof), Life Pod 5 (player may frequently use this Life Pod, so they would most likely avoid it as a nesting area, unless the player exclusively uses the bottom hatch, or abandons the Life Pod all together), Life Pod 4 (has a small, but flat area), and the Floating and Mountain Islands. Aside from the occasional Coral Tube that sticks out of the water, there is not much land, so having more flying creatures, other than the Skyray, for now, is impractical.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    *cough* you forgot Arctic *cough*
  • Muninn_CrowMuninn_Crow Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238401Members
    In the case of an aviary, I would recommend having it as an above-water structure (the current system has no preferences for land or water), and open-roofed so you aren't containing the birds, but allowing them new nesting sites, at which you could then collect the eggs to eat, or let them hatch.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Yeah, I think there's a need for somekind of surface predator ... maybe in the form of a single wide-ranging Leviathan Skyray.
    Just now if find it's too easy to safely chug along the surface towards a known destination. This way you'd at least have to pop up and have a look around first.
    In my twisted imagining my beloved seamoth is seized and deposited in the Leviathan Skyray nest at the very top of the mountain biome. Not an insta-kill, but amusingly inconvenient.
    38m5knp3vdb2.jpg

• Cire555Cire555 bend Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234752Members
    I agree there should be an aerial surface predator, maybe a giant skyray or like a skywhale that just flys down with a huge mouth and skims stuff off the surface.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Actually a skywhale was sighted over my home town a couple of years back. I'm thinking now that death-by-skywhale is gonna get pretty messy
    5b38lakddmya.jpg
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    5b38lakddmya.jpg

Kill it before it lays eggs
  • avsom_gameravsom_gamer Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240295Members
    Well. This would be cool but it kinda doesn't make sense since it is on a planet of 97% water. but a creature like this could exist in the arctic DLC as a long extinct Leviathan and could be repopulated by a passive type of Leviathan or a leviathan being added in the Arctic DLC by using the Transfuser and extracting the DNA from the fossil
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    edited April 2018
    Well. This would be cool but it kinda doesn't make sense since it is on a planet of 97% water. but a creature like this could exist in the arctic DLC as a long extinct Leviathan and could be repopulated by a passive type of Leviathan or a leviathan being added in the Arctic DLC by using the Transfuser and extracting the DNA from the fossil

Earth is only 14% or so less water, and we have plenty of flying creatures. In the past, they've been truly enormous.

Oh! Right! I forgot-
    pw16rf2ir4s8.jpg
    wk66g0l2vggg.jpg
    The thread was only dead for a few days. Really isn't a necro
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    The Necro meme is getting out of hand, please ...

Let it die...

I'M NOT EVEN SORRY
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    perhaps not needed in the base game/area but more such things could be added to expansions.

Especially if we start having a more "air based" game biome? :blush:
    The thread was only dead for a few days. Really isn't a necro
    Yeah, maybe it was a bit of a preemptive necro... But I'm still going to take this opportunity to try out my new necro gif:
    29j3sj.gif