Title (Another void

ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
Running stable 55670. There is another void not just the one on the edge of the map. This void is open space where the program failed to produce, and you look down from your PRAWN and you are out of rocket fuel there is no place to land and do not have the grapple arm on the PRAWN falls into the void until it reaches crush depth. Sigh Unknown Worlds better get these glitches fixed or there will be a lot of refunds being shoveled out.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    So, how common is this bug and how easy is it to reproduce. Especially for just a random player to encounter this issue...

Good that you're reporting it, but you're acting like UWE should know about ALL bugs they don't even know exist. How does that logic work :tongue: That's some tasty passive aggressive bullshit, well played :D
  • ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
    To the Gent in the spy costume it occurs under the Floating island near the old base if you are in the PRAWN and you to leave and you jump up through the cave toward what looks like an opening to find out there is a ceiling there and look down for a place to land cause your jets are running out of fuel, (and yes I have the booster) and there is no floor, and there is no landing spot. Didn't think I'd need the grapple, and I just fell, and fell, and fell. Ended up deleting and starting a new game. Now was that too tec. for you I know I kind of suck at typing messages.
    I don't know if I can draw a picture here maybe that would help
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited November 2017
    Are you saying it always happens there, or was this the first time you had it happen there? I have seen a few times where parts of the world randomly failed to load, this seems to be your problem. Click here for a recent post for this problem, including a comment from the bugfixing team.
    That was actually the case things didn't load. and it seems to happen in that spot of late. It has however occurred in other places. Sometimes things don't appear until too late like scrap I have found myself inside a piece of scrap more then once.
    This seems to happen a lot in games like this it is not the only one FireFall for example which is now a dead game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    It's an issue that has been around for a while yeah and from what I can see it is a performance/optimization issue for streaming in to the world when you drive you subs around. Mostly the quick Seamoth is the biggest cause for this, because of it's speed.

BUT if it's not loading in when you're on top of that stuff and just see a hole in the world, that is indeed a bug in this "world streaming" stuff the game does. The thing is, it's not an easy fix and can happen from time to time on this Unity Engine (that was made for indoor environments mostly)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    So, how common is this bug and how easy is it to reproduce. Especially for just a random player to encounter this issue...

Good that you're reporting it, but you're acting like UWE should know about ALL bugs they don't even know exist. How does that logic work :tongue: That's some tasty passive aggressive bullshit, well played :D

In my current savegame, I had encountered an issue when I tested out the newer WARPFORWARD debug command. I ended up about 8000 meters from the Aurora, and was swimming around with the SeaGlide waiting for the Ghost Leviathans to attack me. Only... they never showed up. I thought at first maybe the game was bugged, so I hit F1 and looked at the display console.

The biome entry was blank, instead of showing "Void" which I thought was weird. I decided to test out this theory and starting SeaGliding back towards the Aurora. I never once got a hit from the Ghost Leviathans or the biome entry changed... until I hit approximately 5000 meters from the Aurora. Suddenly the biome entry changed to "Void" and after a few seconds I could hear the 'scrawr' of GLs approaching. I ended up being able to trigger crossing of the "Void" biome and the <blank> biome, and could force the GL to spawn and despawn at will.

So what does this all mean? Nothing really, it's not likely a player would be able to survive a trip through the Void into the blank area beyond before the GL would destroy your vehicle and kill the player. But even though it makes sense from a technical standpoint why this happens, it does seem kind of unusual that the Void would suddenly stop existing after a certain distance range. :pensive:
    edited November 2017
    Well my guess is they have area triggers in there, which go from biome to biome, or just a script which checks where you are at an interval. Using the warpforward command probably negates that area to area trigger, or the void biome is just a wall around the playable world and you just went out of bounds :D

The thing is, without using that "dev cheat", ergo through normal play, this issue should not occur