Wraith fade

NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
edited November 2017 in Modding
I made a mod that replaces most of the fade's abilities and overhauls the class.

Blink is now a teleport instead of flying, like Corvo from dishonoured. Hold right-click to see where you will teleport to.

Metabolize is now called Backtrack, a "teleport back in time" ability. After a short animation delay, you go back to where you were 4 seconds ago and whatever health you had before (but your health can't go down) (This has been removed due to balance issues). Has a 12 second cooldown.

Advanced metabolize is now called Shadow Walk, which passively detects if an enemy can see you and shows an icon when you have been spotted. It also regenerates your health slowly when you stay out of sight.

The video on the mod page is a bit outdated but I encourage you to try it out and please let me know what you think: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=811064493

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    Just had a bit of fun with your Wraith Fade, very cool ideas! BTW, for a while the Fade actually was an instant teleporter back in the NS2 alpha days and also during the early versions of NS. It was rather overpowered, making her rather unkillable, but fun as hell :D

You actually managed to implement it in a much less clunky way as it was back in NS2 alpha! It feels like how it was back in NS with crouchjumping to teleportblink, feels very smooth. The NS version was having issue though with getting stuck in walls, but hey we did get the "/stuck" command :trollface:

Your mod could be a really cool variation of 1 vs team in a Slenderman, the Hidden or the Faded
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Cheers, Love, the Kharra is here.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2017
    I preferred the mod with the shadowstep being a quick moving cloak walk and blink being the old pre-250 shadowstep we had but with being able to shadowstep in all directions, It makes better naming sense and it closely resembles the trailer Fade. Gives the lifeform a nice assassin like vibe.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think it's awesome that you're trying to rebalance the fade, but I've got some questions:
    1. Without blink, how do you build momentum?
    2. Why make it so health can't go down when using metabolize? It seems that this removes some depth this ability could have otherwise
    3. Why is shadow walk called shadow walk? It's neither about walking or shadows.

I also wonder how hard it would be to kill fades if they can move between points without moving through the space between it...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    Vetinari wrote: »
    I also wonder how hard it would be to kill fades if they can move between points without moving through the space between it...

Because we have no way of reliably predicting where they teleport, it terrifying for marines and a nearly impossible kill unless they fuck up ;)

That and the "momentum" is why this idea of blink was removed and why we have the current version of blink (copy pasted from NS). Also the reason I see this more as a 1 vs team Fade, instead of a NS2 vanilla Fade. Doesn't change the fact that it is the coolest version of Blink though!
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback and questions :)
    I think it's awesome that you're trying to rebalance the fade, but I've got some questions:
    1. Without blink, how do you build momentum?

You don't. This class is more like the onos in that the movement is not momentum-based (but is still very skill-intensive).
    2. Why make it so health can't go down when using metabolize? It seems that this removes some depth this ability could have otherwise

I had it like that originally! It was very annoying and due to how easy it is to kill this fade versus normal fades, I had to buff it. This was one of the buffs.
    3. Why is shadow walk called shadow walk? It's neither about walking or shadows.
    It refers to walking in the shadows, in that if you stay stealthy you get a bonus. It also lets you know if you're "in the shadows".

They actually do perform a "move" between points, so projectiles can hit them. They also do have velocities for the last bit of a teleport (blinkisn't instant) so you can shotgun a fade as it blinks away or towards you. This has been tweaked a lot with testing.
    edited November 2017
    I know this is a long shot :D But would it be possible to have blink affect lights (flickering/sparks) along it's blink path as it was originally brainstormed before NS2 alpha was even a thing?

Murder that FPS like you mean it :tongue:
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I know this is a long shot :D But would it be possible to have blink affect lights (flickering/sparks) along it's blink path as it was originally brainstormed before NS2 alpha was even a thing?

Murder that FPS like you mean it :tongue:

Would be pretty spooky if the only way to see that a Fade is in the room is if the lights were flickering, it would definitely give off the "we're not alone" feeling.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    After playtesting the mod and receiving feedback, I've removed the health-regaining aspect of the Backtrack ability. It was originally there before Shadow Walk was implemented.

Still looking for people to playtest and give feedback!