• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Which(description) is better:
    1:
    9e5ctqnyicuf.png
    2:
    9ftk7fl9kzj8.png
    or 3:
    k9tlp19jngkz.png

Also @BlueSpottedPepper , I couldn't reprouduce your vertical databank bug, try it again with the next version.
    edited November 2017
    you can now tell the distance(in KM or Miles) from yourself to a beacon, or from a beacon to another beacon! I tested it with an online distance calculator, and the app is accurate to about 6 decimal places(I could probably get it more accurate if I entered a more accurate earths radius, but who needs to know how many 1/100ths of a meter they are from something?). I've also implemented the vertical inventory partly, however I still need to iron out some toggle bugs. (Note: please do not press the "Add checkbox" button in the vertical inventory, and make sure you keep it horizontal during bootup). I might be able to do an update tomorrow, but might not, so next confirmable update will be on monday.
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    • Implement something to show you which page you are on(fix bug with deleting pages, tweak positioning algorithim)
    • Implement notification system
    Bootup
    Map:
    • Distance from one beacon to another/from yourself to another beacon
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys
    • beacon deletion functionality?
    Inventory
    Camera
    Databank
      Other:
      • Sprite update(bootup, main HUD, inventory, map, camera, and databank)
      • Rewrite all the dialouge(Like the page giving credit to the devs)(ties in with updating welcome databank article)
      • Vertical use
        • databank
        • inventory(create toggle system for vertical)
        • main HUD
        • bootup
        • camera
        • map
    • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
      I would say one, still not easily readable for me tho.
    • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
      hgyjtfjkui
      I missed so much, sorry for that! I sorta forgot about it...
      You won, as soon as my tablet charges to a decent amount, I'll test it :P
      I can't guarantee success downloading the app, as I use a Linux computer and I don't know how it treats connected devices.
      I'll get back to you soon!
      Keep up the good work!
    • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
      Can u please make it less blue and more "subnautica"
    • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
      And yes I did try this out and it was good

Still don't know how to use it :trollface:
    • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
      jeod wrote: »
      hgyjtfjkui
      I can't guarantee success downloading the app, as I use a Linux computer and I don't know how it treats connected devices.
      Keep up the good work!

Use the tablet. RAR + LoaderDroid - you can access this thread from anywhere (so, your tablet) by going to is.gd/PDApp (case sensitive)
      edited November 2017
      Can u please make it less blue and more "subnautica"

I know, Just now I was thinking about the art, I'll probably just ditch all I have and start again from scratch. Or, @dasCKD , You're a very arty person, would you like to do some art?
      And yes I did try this out and it was good

Still don't know how to use it :trollface:

Scroll(or swipe) to the third page along, and then using the menu on the left, navigate to the "welcome" page, which will give you a complete instruction manual(written in Alterra-style (very boppy)).
      I would say one, still not easily readable for me tho.

I'll stick with 3 then.
      hgyjtfjkui
      Keep up the good work!

What @0x6A7232 said.
    • dasCKDdasCKD Join Date: 2017-11-14 Member: 233978Members
      @Recursion I could whip something up as long as you're not too picky about the deadlines. What do you have in mind?
      Actually now, looking at the application, the thing that needs tweaking is mostly color and font settings. The main issue is that whilst the color is the same, the PDA has a standardized system for using their font. The font are mostly white and the titles are in capital letters which is actually quite important for establishing aesthetics as well as communicating and establishing an information hierarchy. You probably also want to remove the shadow offset on the text fonts. Generally speaking, shadow offsets that aren't darker than the background makes text look cheap as it reminds people of incorrectly trimmed posters or printed documents. The shade of blue, #0F11F5 is also a bit too blue. The color looks very artificial especially as most people prefer a shade of blue more like that of the sky. #1B38AE or #1167A4 might work a bit better for your purposes. I use paletton when I make websites, you can play around with the tool as well if you like. It helps you pick the correct color scheme.

http://paletton.com

I could see where the complaints about the fact that the theme is a bit of a departure from the Subnautica theme comes from however. It is difficult to get the theme looking exactly like subnautica however, as the PDA panel uses sampling to draw the background shade then adds it to the color of the PDA translucent layer. The borders however are more solid, which gives a reading of #3FBAF5 for the lighter segments near the finger grips and the reading of #0A429C near the darkest parts respectively. The majority of the PDA uses a horizontal line effect however as seen in the CRT monitors which gives you two options. Either you can sample a color between those two in hexcode settings or you could create a simple image file with the CRT color aberration effect (not a proper term, I just think the effect looks like what happens when a CRT screen is tuned to the wrong channel) placed on it. There is also the issue with subnautica's PDA shading scheme. In order to simulate the transparency or perhaps due to the way that the Unity canvas object works, the game devs have chosen colors that are very close to each other in shade which simulates the way that translucent 'layers' lay over one another which is why, if you'd want the application to look more like the original PDA, I would choose colors that are not any more than two values either above or below any adjacent items in 3 value hexcode.

Most of the issues though are with the way that the text is laid out. The side bar on the left doesn't have enough padding, and the font sits a bit too close to the left corner. It's also a bit of a departure from the PDA style. The original Subnautica PDA uses a single thin white border with no border radius which is different from your application's single larger box with a single border radius over the entire list. In general though, removing any black or gray font will go a long way to making the application resemble the original PDA application. That, and tweaking the text align in particular for the navigation tab. Either way though, very impressed by what you've done so far.

@dasCKD , this any better?
      k7piyfoxg68v.png
      gz23ppvixlcq.png
      Thanks for your help thus far.
      Recursion wrote: »

The colors fit with each other more closely, so I think that most people will like it. Anyways, about the art. What would you like me to create?
      edited November 2017
      dasCKD wrote: »

The colors fit with each other more closely, so I think that most people will like it. Anyways, about the art. What would you like me to create?

Could you create sprites for everything you think could be a little better(Inventory toggles, inventory boxes, Etc, but ignore the sprites that I've *ahem* Borrowed from subnautica)(And don't forget to do it in an subnautical style)? Just upload them in a .PNG format, And I can put them into unity. At times I might specially request one specific sprite, but probably won't. As for deadlines, I'm not too fussed, I'd just like to have the majority done before Christmas.

Everyone else, Any ideas for PDApp backgrounds?
      So I've tried it a bit, and I have some small feedback:
      The idea is functional, but the user interface is rather chaotic. I know polishing isn't your main focus right now, but it was kinda hard to figure out everything.
      And it might be just me, but my resolution is too high, and some stuff is off screen. Do you know about this, is it a bug, or is it just my device?
      So I've tried it a bit, and I have some small feedback:
      The idea is functional, but the user interface is rather chaotic. I know polishing isn't your main focus right now, but it was kinda hard to figure out everything.
      And it might be just me, but my resolution is too high, and some stuff is off screen. Do you know about this, is it a bug, or is it just my device?

Could you post a screenshot of the buggy stuff?

Could you create sprites for everything you think could be a little better(Inventory toggles, inventory boxes, Etc, but ignore the sprites that I've *ahem* Borrowed from subnautica)(And don't forget to do it in an subnautical style)? Just upload them in a .PNG format, And I can put them into unity. At times I might specially request one specific sprite, but probably won't. As for deadlines, I'm not too fussed, I'd just like to have the majority done before Christmas.

By that, do you mean the buttons and the menu bars or something more specific?

By that, do you mean the buttons and the menu bars or something more specific?

The sprites that I've borrowed from subnautica are the beacon sprite, The Alterra logo, and the dive reel sprite, So Don't create a replacement sprite for those. Create replacement sprites for everything else. Actually, I'll see if I can get a list of what sprites need replacing together. It should be ready later today.
      edited November 2017
      @dasCKD , So far I have for you:
      • Toggles in inventory(500 x 50 or so)
      • Inventory text boxes(100 x 100)
      • main HUD adding and deleting pages buttons(50 x 75)
      • Factory reset button(100 x 30)
      • map zoom slider fill(width is 30, I'd reccomend making one squat sprite I can repeat)
      • Camera take picture
      • Camera switch camera
      • Inventory add checkbox button(100 x 500 or so)
      • All the text input fields(differing sizes)
      • The page-showers
      • the main tab handle thingy
      That's all so far, I might come up with a few more later. I'll also ditch any unneeded images in the camera, inventory, and map.
      edited November 2017
      Ok, some screenshots: (nothing's been cropped)
      k9mzn1b68mq2.jpg
      x15hri55rw9w.jpg

And I also believe that the Alterra logo is spinning a wee bit too fast, maybe slow it down some? And the map needs some work as well, although it seems you've got that being worked on right now anyways.
      Ok, some screenshots: (nothing's been cropped)
      k9mzn1b68mq2.jpg
      x15hri55rw9w.jpg

And I also believe that the Alterra logo is spinning a wee bit too fast, maybe slow it down some? And the map needs some work as well, although it seems you've got that being worked on right now anyways.

That's all vertical stuff, Its not my top priority right now. The Alterra logo should spin fast at the start, and then slow down. all the finished horizontal stuff OK though?
      edited November 2017
      Also if the background was a realistic PDA that would be nice

Edit: wqxc4iz13bok.png
      q7xdox8003c3.png
      Vertical display help
      e391iq25nigf.png
      Also the names and locations don't Match up
      edited November 2017
      I don't want to start a bad trend, so could all pictures please be put in spoilers, @supertiger2340 , I'm thinking about the background, not sure what to make it. Also, vertical use is not finished yet, so expect bugs. The page-showers are also not finished, so please do not give me bug reports on things that are not finished. You can see which things are finished on the polish roadmap:
      Main Hud:
      • Implement swiping
      • Implement something to show you which page you are on(fix bug with deleting pages, tweak positioning algorithim)
      Bootup
      Map:
      • List of beacons
      • Track journeys
      • beacon deletion functionality?
      Inventory
      Camera
      Databank
        Other:
        • Page redesign(databank, Camera, map, inventory, main Hud, background)( @dasCKD is helping with this)
        • Rewrite all the dialouge(Like the page giving credit to the devs)(ties in with updating welcome databank article)
        • Vertical use
          • databank
          • main HUD
          • bootup
          • camera
          • map
        You are also using an old version, And as of now I will not accept any bug reports from people using old versions.
        No update today, because today I worked on turning @kingkuma 's warper visual novel into an android app, and it took me a bit longer than expected, so I didn't have time for the PDApp. But, I'll make an effort on it tomorrow.
        Warper encounter app:
        edited November 2017
        edited November 2017
        Not a very big update today, I added a few sprites here and there, the map redesign is finished, I also worked a bit on beacon deletion, but I still have a few bugs to work out. I also worked a bit on the positioning algorithim, and the far right page shower will always stay in it's place, but I'm having some trouble with the other ones. I've also worked out a release roadmap:
        • Test for bugs(inventory, main HUD, bootup, map, databank, camera)
        • Little nitpicks
        • delete inventory toggles
        • delete photos
        • have map tell distances for meters and yards
        • go overboard with accuracy of earths radius for map
        • streamline package(Change resolution and quality of sprites(so that they take up less space(Check editor log)), check all code, move sprites to different folders)
        • Release on google play(when everything is done and people think it is ready)
        Updated polish roadmap:
        Main Hud:
        • Implement swiping
        • Implement something to show you which page you are on(fix bug with deleting pages, make all the page-showers work)
        Bootup
        Map:
        • List of beacons
        • Track journeys
        • beacon deletion functionality(fix map dissapearing bug, get beaconnumber to move down)
        Inventory
        Camera
        Databank
          Other:
          • Page redesign(databank, Camera, map(get zoom slider fill( @dasCKD , could you work on that please?)), inventory, main Hud, background)
          • Vertical use
            • databank
            • main HUD
            • bootup
            • camera
            • map
          [*] Page redesign(databank, Camera, map(get zoom slider fill( @dasCKD , could you work on that please?)), inventory, main Hud, background)

Just to be sure, you would like me to create the icons for those as PNG files with transparent backgrounds, correct?
          Once you want a bunch of feedback, put that up on Google Play, and ask for feedback. Put Subnautica in the title just to be sure everyone knows what it is. "Official fan-made Subnautica companion app" lol (officially sanctioned, anyway)
          edited November 2017
          [*] Page redesign(databank, Camera, map(get zoom slider fill( @dasCKD , could you work on that please?)), inventory, main Hud, background)

Just to be sure, you would like me to create the icons for those as PNG files with transparent backgrounds, correct?

.PNG files, If you think they would benefit with transparency, Then put it in, if not, don't(and if you don't give it any transparency, you can export it as a .JPEG).
          0x6A7232 wrote: »
          Once you want a bunch of feedback, put that up on Google Play, and ask for feedback. Put Subnautica in the title just to be sure everyone knows what it is. "Official fan-made Subnautica companion app" lol (officially sanctioned, anyway)
          In that case, I'll just finish everything up, And release it to the world.

.PNG files, If you think they would benefit with transparency, Then put it in, if not, don't(and if you don't give it any transparency, you can export it as a .JPEG).

JPEG has compression artifacts, PNG won't - although it might be small enough not to see them, some might have large enough tablets that it would become visible. Also the color wouldn't be quite right maybe (I've seen the color change slightly when saving as JPEG before).