The fate of console commands in v1.0

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Anybody else think console commands should be restricted until after the player beats the game once? Once the game is completed, it asks if you want to continue your game or start a new one. All new games would now have a "cheats enabled" checkbox available afterwards.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Anybody else think console commands should be restricted until after the player beats the game once? Once the game is completed, it asks if you want to continue your game or start a new one. All new games would now have a "cheats enabled" checkbox available afterwards.

I'd say, default startup of the game could be without the console enabled. And if you want to go pro mode or dev mode add an option to enable it in advanced settings or set it with a "-dev" or "-console" startup parameter.

I wouldn't completely disable it for debug reasons. Also I'm not entirely sure what the issue everyon has with people "cheating" in a single player game. They are spoiling the game for themselves, not exactly my problem if they want to do that by not having self-restraint :D
  • BioSpiritBioSpirit Join Date: 2016-11-23 Member: 224153Members
    Console should be left mostly as it is. In last game I fell through a floor when I exited a PRAWN suit. I was able to "warp" myself back to a game world with the console. I have never used it for cheating, just getting around the bugs in the game. Getting stuck in a geometry and falling off the game world are common problems in many games and most of them don't have any means to unstuck the player.

In the Trello, developers mentioned something about "auto-save on exit". This could be catastrophic if the game is saved in (the only one existing save slot) in a non-playable condition like fallen off the map.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    BioSpirit wrote: »
    Console should be left mostly as it is. In last game I fell through a floor when I exited a PRAWN suit. I was able to "warp" myself back to a game world with the console. I have never used it for cheating, just getting around the bugs in the game. Getting stuck in a geometry and falling off the game world are common problems in many games and most of them don't have any means to unstuck the player.

In the Trello, developers mentioned something about "auto-save on exit". This could be catastrophic if the game is saved in (the only one existing save slot) in a non-playable condition like fallen off the map.

The usual way games do that for campaigns and single player in general is to have an auto save slot alongside your manual or quick save slots
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I'd love for the console to be there in 1.0, and not only in creative mode, exactly for the reasons BioSpirit mentioned (plus it's fun to just make life easy for yourself in the game if you have a particularly bad day in real life, but I digress). Single player games should never be restricted in any way since whatever we do there does not affect anyone else's gaming experience.

There will be achievements in the game, however. Sure, they are nothing more than a set of virtual and meaningless trophies, but I can see some of the more competitive players complaining that console commands mean cheating. Perhaps automatically disabling achievements on a save where console commands have been used would be a solution here? Anything to avoid pointless drama this game does not need.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Console commands are used in ea games aswell as games that are in the debug stage and what mostly happens to console commands in these games is that they are removed in 1.0 so unless the devs will add them on the story completion they might get removed as I have seen some cards on trello before about bugs because of console commands and they just backlog it
    @Calarand77 in most games, achievements are always disabled if "cheat" commands are enabled.

Maybe we need to segregate certain non-cheat commands and cheat commands, that way, things like "/stuck" can be used at any given time, because that isn't exactly a cheat when the game's collisions bugs out
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You could also put any of the "cheaty" console commands behind a master on command (like Craig McGill, or something). Example, in Descent, the enable cheats command was gabbagabbahey.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    You could also put any of the "cheaty" console commands behind a master on command (like Craig McGill, or something). Example, in Descent, the enable cheats command was gabbagabbahey.

Iddqdlogo.png
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Iddqdlogo.png

You're doomed buddy

Iddqdlogo.png

idbeholdv
    idbeholdi
    idkfa
    iddt
    iddt
    idspispopd

Your move...
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    edited October 2017
    What I think it should be: When you start a new world there's a check box, "Cheats Enabled", not checked=normal game, no cheating, achievements. Checked=unrestricted console commands, no achievements

Iddqdlogo.png

idbeholdv
    idbeholdi
    idkfa
    iddt
    iddt
    idspispopd

Your move...

A B B A

Iddqdlogo.png

idbeholdv
    idbeholdi
    idkfa
    iddt
    iddt
    idspispopd

Your move...

A B B A

Crossing the streams, are we?

www.freespace2.com
    ~ + K

Rinse, repeat, until ABBA gets you stuck behind a wall. xD

Iddqdlogo.png

idbeholdv
    idbeholdi
    idkfa
    iddt
    iddt
    idspispopd

Your move...

A B B A

www.freespace2.com
    ~ + K

A geez, Freespaceworship.gif
    For that, you win good sir!
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Leave the console, its always handy in case of bugs. Always better to have an escape method than to have to start over entirely.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Leave the console, its always handy in case of bugs. Always better to have an escape method than to have to start over entirely.

Not to mention all the fun that can be had with the spawn and teleport commands.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Ralij wrote: »

yeah, even after V1.0 theres bound to be bugs leftovers from the beta stage unfixed yet that will require console commands to alleviate, short of remaking a new game. Plus, since this is a single player game only anyway, theres no real harm in leaving it in as plenty of single player games got a built in console, Bethesda games immediately comes to mind.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    Until and if they fix things like the Drill Arm fragments never appearing anywhere in the world during a run through, we need the console. And without an in-game map, the wrecks can be a nightmare to locate, even with a printed map showing basically where they are, for those like me who are directionally challenged. Even after 12 complete runs, I still spend hours searching for some of them. It may be that the never-appearing vital tech problem will be (or already has been) taken care of during these bug fix passes though.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Iddqdlogo.png

idbeholdv
    idbeholdi
    idkfa
    iddt
    iddt
    idspispopd

Your move...

TVTropes entry "Classic Cheat Code", header paragraph:
    Devil: "I'll grant you any three wishes. Just remember, you'll be going to Hell afterwards."
    Gamer: "Alright. One. IDDQD. Two. IDKFA."
    Devil: "And the third?"
    Gamer: "What third? Come on, send me to Hell already. It's ass kicking time."
    Note: (We suggest IDBEHOLDS for good measure.)
    :sunglasses:

Iddqdlogo.png

idbeholdv
    idbeholdi
    idkfa
    iddt
    iddt
    idspispopd

Your move...

A B B A

www.freespace2.com
    ~ + K

A geez, Freespaceworship.gif
    For that, you win good sir!

v-old.gif
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Iddqdlogo.png

idbeholdv
    idbeholdi
    idkfa
    iddt
    iddt
    idspispopd

Your move...

TVTropes entry "Classic Cheat Code", header paragraph:
    Devil: "I'll grant you any three wishes. Just remember, you'll be going to Hell afterwards."
    Gamer: "Alright. One. IDDQD. Two. IDKFA."
    Devil: "And the third?"
    Gamer: "What third? Come on, send me to Hell already. It's ass kicking time."
    Note: (We suggest IDBEHOLDS for good measure.)
    :sunglasses:

Well, the Devil just shot himself in the foot
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    What I think it should be: When you start a new world there's a check box, "Cheats Enabled", not checked=normal game, no cheating, achievements. Checked=unrestricted console commands, no achievements

Assuming the devs wouldn't want people cheesing achievements with the console, this would be the way to go. They didn't want people skipping into the Lava Zones early, so I wouldn't imagine they'd approve of using the console to breeze through achievements either. However they're still useful for when stuff goes wrong. So having an option when launching the game (That can't just be swapped in or out of afterwards, like starting in Creative then console'ing into Survival) feels like the best route.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited November 2017
    I think both the console and creative mode should be things you have to unlock by beating the game when v1.0 hits. Once v1.0 hits game breaking bugs will either be really rare and/or fixed immediately, so the purpose of console commands will only be to just mess around with random objects.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Rezca wrote: »

Assuming the devs wouldn't want people cheesing achievements with the console, this would be the way to go. They didn't want people skipping into the Lava Zones early, so I wouldn't imagine they'd approve of using the console to breeze through achievements either. However they're still useful for when stuff goes wrong. So having an option when launching the game (That can't just be swapped in or out of afterwards, like starting in Creative then console'ing into Survival) feels like the best route.

Factorio has a pretty good way around this: using commands disables achevements for that world.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    I think both the console and creative mode should be things you have to unlock by beating the game when v1.0 hits. Once v1.0 hits game breaking bugs will either be really rare and/or fixed immediately, so the purpose of console commands will only be to just mess around with random objects.

The fixed immediately part still leaves players who were affected by the bug potentially stuck with a bad save that the console could have fixed, but because they haven't finished the game yet, they have to start over from the beginning. Not a good situation.

If unlocking the console and creative mode depends on winning the game, then players who want to use the console to cheat (or who need to use it to fix their game) will just find a guide to download the appropriate save state or find which file to edit to enable the console.

In a singleplayer game, there really isn't cheating in the same sense as a multiplayer game. It doesn't really make sense to lock out the console. Obviously you don't want it to be front and center so players are encouraged to try the game first without resorting to the console, but it should still be available for players who want it.

Locking out creative mode doesn't really make sense either. For many players, they just enjoy building random seabases more than anything else or just casually cruising around to enjoy the scenery. Sure you can use it to "cheat" by exploring the world to find things in advance so you know where to go in survival, but a YouTube video guide would do exactly the same thing.