Should they keep the Dive Reel?

13»

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    300 hours of play, and I've never used it. I've heard it is quite buggy. If they haven't made it work by now, I think they should just remove it from the game rather than face criticism on the 1.0 release about it being buggy.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Remove it for now, and if it can be fixed, an addition post 1.0.
  • Carlo33Carlo33 Germany Join Date: 2017-10-26 Member: 233728Members
    My first experience with the Dive Reel:
    I attached the Dive Reel at the entrance of a wreck and as I needed O2 the line clipped through the whole thing and I got lost. The first time I trusted a tool and the only time I got lost.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I haven't really used it since the earliest parts of the game. It's not that useful since it clips through geometry so much, negating its usefulness.
  • XzanronXzanron Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225299Members
    I used it once. I was expecting it to wind me back in, i.e. I unwind it as a I travel.. press a switch, and it pulls me back to where I placed it. That didn't happen. So after that I basically never built it again.
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
    Yeah, conceptually it's great. In practice it's worthless. Such a weird way to phrase the question though - "Do you use it?"

You can't use it the way it is now, so I'm not sure what that even means. It's definitely not worth having in game and should be removed if they don't plan on fixing it and... well, honestly, they haven't really designed around it working (since it doesn't) so at this point there's not much benefit to fixing it either.

The ship on the dive real has sailed, it should go.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    There looks to have been some work done to try and fix it that can be seen on trello and checkins, but I still don't think they should even bother unless they change and expand the current cave systems.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I remember using the Dive Reel several months back. It worked better when I was freediving down into the Jelly Shroom Caves and needed a guide back to the shaft entrance on the cave roof. There it worked well. In wrecks, where it could help even more, it wasn't quite as helpful. The line would bind to an imaginary point as I passed through narrow passages. It made sense, until I had to return and the line would keep paying out while I was trying to follow the line back.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Belgarel Can you take a look at the Dive Reel and see if it's something you could fix? Almost seems like the reel cable isn't a large enough physical object, so it slips through the irregular defect in the terrain / wreck models.