Development of the PDApp

Comments

• conalykaconalyka Canada Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232087Members
    My tablet is ready and waiting to download it. Ill be waiting
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Now an inventorys items can be saved! Currently, however, this does not contain support for multiple inventorys, and the items from different inventorys will probably just end up squished together, if you have more than one inventory. It automatically saves the text every frame. This does not work for the checklists currently, however.
    edited October 2017
    Does anyone think I should include a factory reset button?
    edited October 2017
    Now when you kill the App and then restart it, only your databank will have fully saved all content, but your pages will be in the same order you left them in! Also, When you load up the PDApp for the first time, A welcome page shows, prompting you to enter a 4-digit ID, which I'll use for things later. Also, there is now a "Delete current article" button in the Databank, but this currently does nothing. @0x6A7232 , could you please check the pages save properly?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Suggestion (that I forgot earlier): Remove the "Booting in Standard / Normal mode" notification. Why? It's likely that the booting in mode message is only for non-standard bootup. Like, you don't see a notification about booting Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS in "normal" mode, but you probably might if you're booting in a non-standard (safe, root, recovery) mode. In normal mode, however, you just see device / carrier logos and progress bars as the OS loads.
    Bah. App froze while scrolling.

Also, add / remove icons are starting to get to me, as I tap them to scroll one page without thinking and it tries to add or removes a page.
    I'll play with it some more on break at work.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Bah. App froze while scrolling.

Also, add / remove icons are starting to get to me, as I tap them to scroll one page without thinking and it tries to add or removes a page.

Freezing was probably a One-off(I hope). I'm going to add a page that requests your PDA ID that you entered at the start when deleting pages.
    Suggestion (that I forgot earlier): Remove the "Booting in Standard / Normal mode" notification. Why? It's likely that the booting in mode message is only for non-standard bootup. Like, you don't see a notification about booting Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS in "normal" mode, but you probably might if you're booting in a non-standard (safe, root, recovery) mode. In normal mode, however, you just see device / carrier logos and progress bars as the OS loads.

I'll change the message to "booting". But, I'm going to remove the button in polish, so don't pay too much attention to it.
    edited October 2017
    Also, I've had an idea for the loading screen. The Alterra jingle sound(You can hear it when the PDA boots up in Subnautica) plays, and then an animation(A PDA shows, and then lines crawl over it to form the Alterra logo in the middle), then it goes to the loading screen with the circular slider and rotating Alterra logo. Though, what background do you think I should choose, and what transition should I use from one screen to the other? Also, what do you think of this art:
    9jhp030at818.png
    a4u673ug47vd.png
    The first one will be the sprite for the inventory slots, and the second will be for the text input fields.
    edited October 2017
    I just downloaded the unity Apple support module, so hopefully I'll be able to upload an IPA(Android equivalent of an APK) file soon(You can Sideload it onto an IPad By using ITunes, Just look it up).
    EDIT: Actually, That won't be happening any time soon, because unity doesn't output an IPA file, it outputs a folder of stuff, and then you need to load it into XCode, and that will turn it into an IPA, but you need an apple developer account to get Xcode.
    Now the Photos tab saves photos! I also did some work on saving beacon data, but I'm not sure it works, so @0x6A7232 , could you please check it does work? I'm also working on fixing the toggles in the inventory, so don't use them unless you want bad things to happen. Also, 0x6a7232, could you please check the photos tab also saves properly?
    By the way, don't use that APK, as the photos won't work on that, because I turned something off for testing, and forgot to turn it back on. new APK:
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    I log on to the forum just for this.
    Keep it up :)
    I'm going to take a break for a few days, because I'm getting a lot of bugs with the inventory toggle system, and I've decided it would be better if I just redo it.
    So, It didn't take me as long as i thought it would to remake the toggle system, so updates will continue as normal, and this one update implements the new toggle system, and fixes a small bug with photo saving/loading, and paves the way for saving inventory toggles.
    edited November 2017
    The inventorys now save data! This works with multiple inventorys. Also, a new "Factory reset" button has been added to the upper right corner. pressing it will bring up a page asking for your PDA ID(that you entered when you first booted up the PDApp, so you now need to remember those numbers), though unfortunatley there is no button to press to actually perform the reset as of now. New save/load roadmap:
    • Save/load beacon data
    • Fix toggle name bug with multiple inventorys
    • Implement factory reset
    @0x6a7232 , could you please check that the inventory saving and loading works OK for you? I still feel that there must be a monstrous bug hidden in the depths.
    edited November 2017
    The PDApp now has full save/load functionality! Beacon data(includes position and name) now saves, factory reset is fully functional and will not work if you do not input your correct PDA ID(which also saves/loads), and I fixed a few inventory toggle bugs, which means multiple inventorys now have no bugs(something that I kind of skated over the first time). So, Now that I'm at the polish stage, I want all your problems you have ever had with this app(not tiny nitpicks, I'll do those in the release stage), all your suggestions(So that I can embetter? the polish roadmap), and @kingkuma , If you do want to do art, please say so.
    Polish roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    • Implement something to show you which page you are on
    • Implement notification system
    Bootup:
    • Ditch entire system, rebuild from scratch
    • Make it actually load stuff
    Databank:
    • Make a whole instruction manual
    Map:
    • Distance from one beacon to another/from yourself to another beacon
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys?
    Inventory:
    • Have nameable inventorys(link in with showing where the pages are)
    Other:
    • Sprite update
    • Rewrite all the dialouge(Like the page giving credit to the devs)

Also, @Obraxis , would it be possible for me to have the PDA scrollbar sprite, the Alterra logo sprite that spins in the bottom right corner when loading, and the sound file that plays when the player boots up the PDA?
    Also, what should the notification system report?
    also, @BlueSpottedPepper , what do you mean by making the UI "cleaner"?
    edited November 2017
    Today I implemented swiping to change pages(swipe anywhere, left to go to the right, swipe right to go to the left), and Implemented a notifications system, The databank and theinventory both got a sprite update, and the pings tab now has a small rectangle off to the left, which will show a list of beacons. updated polish roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    Bootup:
    Databank:
    Map:
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys?
    Inventory:
    Other:
    • Sprite update
    @coderlingu , I remember seeing you earlier, would you mind downloading the app and start giving me feedback along with everyone else? Also, could someone check through the dialouge drafts I wrote up, and give me some feedback on them?
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    Don't forget to add vertical use please!
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    By the way with a more clean hud I mean making it more Easy to use, because it is kind of confusing. But don't worry, since you are adding an instructions manual.
    Just a motivantional note: If you can make this a bug free, well made app with smooth and well built hud and features, I would buy this for up to 6$, (I don't recommend this price since its a bit too much especially for other people) so you would profit a lot from it. This might be a little bit too much for you, it was just a something I wanted to tell you.
    Just a motivantional note: If you can make this a bug free, well made app with smooth and well built hud and features, I would buy this for up to 6$, (I don't recommend this price since its a bit too much especially for other people) so you would profit a lot from it. This might be a little bit too much for you, it was just a something I wanted to tell you.

Just remember that I would buy it for such a price just when it is well built, possibly having a hud almost as good as the one from the actual pda.
    What happened to the emergency mode you wanted to implement?
    @BlueSpottedPepper he can't make money from it, it's UWE's IP. Unless UWE changes that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited November 2017
    Don't forget to add vertical use please!

I won't, I just forgot about it.
    What happened to the emergency mode you wanted to implement?

The emergency mode would have taken too much time, because what I would have done is when the PDA is travelling fast, and then suddenly stops, the PDA would reboot in emergency mode, and unity has no way of telling how fast a device is moving.
    @BlueSpottedPepper he can't make money from it, it's UWE's IP. Unless UWE changes that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep, that's quite right, That was what I said in my forum topic asking for permission to make this. Updated polish roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    Bootup:
    Databank:
    Map:
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys?
    Inventory:
    Other:
    • Sprite update
    • Vertical use
    • Make the UI "cleaner"

Well, too bad. Maybe some time in the far, far future....
    BTW, I'm going to ditch the maps seamoth buttons, and instead have a slider.
    edited November 2017
    So, I was just programming today, and got a lot done so I decided to have an update. Now the Maps seamoth buttons are gone, and instead on the left hand side there's a slider which controls the zoom. next to the slider there's a scroller(what is the proper name for those?) showing a list of beacon latitude and longitudes(names will come later)(under that there's another thing which will eventually show the distance between 2 beacons/you and a beacon). I also finished the booting sequence, and added sprites for the bootup sequence, the page confirming you know that I didn't come up with the PDA idea, and the PDA setup page. @0x6A7232 , could you give me feedback on the bootup sequence and new sprites? Updated roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    Bootup:
    Map:
    • List of beacons(add beacon names)
    • Track journeys?
    Inventory:
    Other:
    • Sprite update(bootup, main HUD, inventory, map, camera, and databank)
    • Rewrite all the dialouge(Like the page giving credit to the devs)(ties in with updating welcome databank article)
    • Vertical use