Are the vehicles now in a balanced state or some adjustments are required

adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
In the first development stages of subnautica we all loved the seamoth and how fast and cool it was then a few months and we got the big cyclops and we were like, this thing is so awsome then more months now and we see the mighty exo suit (prawn suit is what it's called now) and now with the full release on the horizon
I ask this: are they in the place they need to be in?

Please vote and mention what are the changes each vehicle needs if you voted for all of them if not mention what are the changes the vehicle you voted for needs

Comments

• AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    They should make the PRAWN more agile, and make it so it doesn't fall through the floor and get stuck on little rocks that make it hard to move around, as well as storage access in the moonpool
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    I think the Seamoth needs some sort of work. For me, I never use the thing. I'll take the slow Cyclops everywhere. But won't bother with the Seamoth. It mainly acts as my bases beacon marker. And Power cell cheat charger. There's no benefit except its speed. Which is nullified by the sheer importance of the Cyclops. For me to use it a t least a little bit more. It has to be allowed to go to the ILZ. I can't even make one for bases in those areas. So it's literary stuck at my first place. Nothing to do. It's defenses are garbage. You have to be in the mouth of a Leviathan for the shock move to actually work. So I'm forced to take damage. Why would I want to do a charging move on a monster. Than just drill its face out. Or be completely safe with a shield active. I rather build 20 power cells for the Cyclops mid game. If it weren't for cheat charging. I wouldn't make the vehicle. Some ways I wish it was replaced with a air vehicle. That can use the Torpedoes to air bomb Leviathans remotely. Or fire a vehicle Stasis rifle.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    I think the Seamoth needs some sort of work. For me, I never use the thing. I'll take the slow Cyclops everywhere. But won't bother with the Seamoth. It mainly acts as my bases beacon marker. And Power cell cheat charger. There's no benefit except its speed. Which is nullified by the sheer importance of the Cyclops. For me to use it a t least a little bit more. It has to be allowed to go to the ILZ. I can't even make one for bases in those areas. So it's literary stuck at my first place. Nothing to do. It's defenses are garbage. You have to be in the mouth of a Leviathan for the shock move to actually work. So I'm forced to take damage. Why would I want to do a charging move on a monster. Than just drill its face out. Or be completely safe with a shield active. I rather build 20 power cells for the Cyclops mid game. If it weren't for cheat charging. I wouldn't make the vehicle. Some ways I wish it was replaced with a air vehicle. That can use the Torpedoes to air bomb Leviathans remotely. Or fire a vehicle Stasis rifle.

I don't think the seamoth will ever see the the lava zone as this makes you only use the the prawn for drilling kyanite so might not happen

But surprisingly you use the cyclops more than the seamoth some people are the opposite and some don't bother with the cyclops at all
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited October 2017
    -But not much. Just stop it falling through the floor and I'm a happy man.

Oh, and @adel_50 , that's me with the seamoth and no cyclops. For me, the seamoth is used for mass transport of surface materials: 2 storage, 1 shock and 1 depth module 3.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited October 2017

@Hulkie2345 , let me systematically refute most of the stuff you said. No hostility intended, I just love the seamoth.
    For me to use it a t least a little bit more. It has to be allowed to go to the ILZ. I can't even make one for bases in those areas.

If you want bases in the ILZ, use the teleporter, or take your cyclops. Why you'd want to, I have no Idea as everything tries to kill you and there's only diamonds, kyanite and sulfur.

It's defenses are garbage. You have to be in the mouth of a Leviathan for the shock move to actually work. So I'm forced to take damage.

No, you can still fire it outside the mouth of a reaper. Also, 10% hp? That's nothing. You can easily outrun a reaper, just stay near the ground.

Why would I want to do a charging move on a monster. Than just drill its face out.

Don't get me started on the lack of violence in this game. Please don't.

Or be completely safe with a shield active.

If you react fast enough, the shock mechanism is basically a shield.

I rather build 20 power cells for the Cyclops mid game.

Ion cells? There's the caches mid - game.

If it weren't for cheat charging. I wouldn't make the vehicle.

Ok, I'm ignoring this one. Just so you know, I hate exploiting games.

Some ways I wish it was replaced with a air vehicle. That can use the Torpedoes to air bomb Leviathans remotely.

This is called SUBnautica for a reason. You could just beat the game and go into space in an hour if the seamoth flew. (Ask @nesrak1)

Or fire a vehicle Stasis rifle.

Why not exit? Only the sea dragon can instakill you, and the seamoth can't go there.
    There's no benefit except its speed.

... And the fact that it can hold another 64 spots of inventory space. Not as much as the cyclops, but much more efficient in the long run for single - resource runs.

kingkuma wrote: »
    -But not much. Just stop it falling through the floor and I'm a happy man.

Oh, and @adel_50 , that's me with the seamoth and no cyclops. For me, the seamoth is used for mass transport of surface materials: 2 storage, 1 shock and 1 depth module 3.

And that's what I don't like all the vehicles should be equally important I don't say make the cyclops a must have but make it something useful to have
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited October 2017
    Using the prawn is annoying and often highly counterproductive. I only ever use it for exploring deeper zones that my seamoth cannot handle or for drilling expeditions, and that's because there are no alternatives.

This is because it's very fucking difficult, frustrating, and time-consuming to move in the damn thing. I'm always either walking at like 5 mph on the ocean floor or floating around in the water trying not to bump into stuff.

The grappling hook arm isn't helpful at all, as the low range, slow firing speed, and ridiculous recharge time for it makes it basically worthless.

The jet boost upgrade is helpful, but it still only lets you ascend quickly and float around longer.

TLDR; The prawn suit is very clunky and should receive several updates to make it a smoother, more fun experience.

Also the world doesn't always load around it fast enough and, unlike the seamoth or cyclops, you're almost ALWAYS going to lose your suit unless you just so happen to have enough jet fuel left to propel yourself back to a loaded chunk, or happen to land in a cave that isn't deeper than your suit's crush depth.
    l
    Using the prawn is annoying and often highly counterproductive. I only ever use it for exploring deeper zones that my seamoth cannot handle or for drilling expeditions, and that's because there are no alternatives.

This is because it's very [expletive] difficult, frustrating, and time-consuming to move in the damn thing. I'm always either walking at like 5 mph on the ocean floor or floating around in the water trying not to bump into stuff.

The grappling hook arm isn't helpful at all, as the low range, slow firing speed, and ridiculous recharge time for it makes it basically worthless.

The jet boost upgrade is helpful, but it still only lets you ascend quickly and float around longer.

TLDR; The prawn suit is very clunky and should receive several updates to make it a smoother, more fun experience.

Also the world doesn't always load around it fast enough and, unlike the seamoth or cyclops, you're almost ALWAYS going to lose your suit unless you just so happen to have enough jet fuel left to propel yourself back to a loaded chunk, or happen to land in a cave that isn't deeper than your suit's crush depth.

That depends on your computer. I've never had that problem. And language, please.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    l

This is because it's very [expletive] difficult, frustrating, and time-consuming to move in the damn thing. I'm always either walking at like 5 mph on the ocean floor or floating around in the water trying not to bump into stuff.

That depends on your computer. I've never had that problem. And language, please.

I have those problems, had to spawn in at least 4 new PRAWNS because of it, Im about to give up and just take the cyclops and seaglide if I need to get out, they better fix this ASAP
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I like the seamoth in the earlier game. Once you get the cyclops/prawn I almost never use the seamoth since I pretty much have to choose between them when going on expeditions and the prawn usually wins due to resource gathering and such. It'd be nice if the seamoth could follow your cyclops via radio signal so you can still have both accessible in the late game unless you put moonpools everywhere.

The Prawn kind of sucks to move around, but its manageable. I'd like to be able to have speed/agility upgrades and short forward bursts of speed that last for a few seconds.

The cyclops is pretty boss, I love using it as a permanent base for all my loot. Wish there was more interior customization with the lighting and such since I spend a lot of time with it.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    @Hulkie2345 , let me systematically refute most of the stuff you said. No hostility intended, I just love the seamoth.
    For me to use it a t least a little bit more. It has to be allowed to go to the ILZ. I can't even make one for bases in those areas.

If you want bases in the ILZ, use the teleporter, or take your cyclops. Why you'd want to, I have no Idea as everything tries to kill you and there's only diamonds, kyanite and sulfur.

Because I want to. What's the problem with that? If you put your base in the right spot. Nothing bothers you but Lava Larvae.
    It's defenses are garbage. You have to be in the mouth of a Leviathan for the shock move to actually work. So I'm forced to take damage.

No, you can still fire it outside the mouth of a reaper. Also, 10% hp? That's nothing. You can easily outrun a reaper, just stay near the ground.

I've done it and it didn't get stunned. I was right next to it's head. So It didn't work for me.
    Why would I want to do a charging move on a monster. Than just drill its face out.

Don't get me started on the lack of violence in this game. Please don't.

I'm not talking about violence. It's just easier to just get grabbed in a prawn and drill.
    Or be completely safe with a shield active.

If you react fast enough, the shock mechanism is basically a shield.

You're point?
    I rather build 20 power cells for the Cyclops mid game.

Ion cells? There's the caches mid - game.

I take a while to get the ion cells blue prints. I prepare for Lost River and ILZ for a while. Because I get ready to make a base down there.
    If it weren't for cheat charging. I wouldn't make the vehicle.

Ok, I'm ignoring this one. Just so you know, I hate exploiting games.

Who cares that's its only use for me.
    Some ways I wish it was replaced with a air vehicle. That can use the Torpedoes to air bomb Leviathans remotely.

This is called SUBnautica for a reason. You could just beat the game and go into space in an hour if the seamoth flew. (Ask @nesrak1)

Planes aren't meant to go in space.
    Or fire a vehicle Stasis rifle.

Why not exit? Only the sea dragon can instakill you, and the seamoth can't go there.

Because I was talking about regular Leviathans. If there was a vehicle that is remote controlled. Not a vehicle you can use. Like the cameras in the scanner room. I'd set it above Leviathans and keep griefing them. While I'm in their area getting stuff. I'm not complaining about lack of killing options.
    There's no benefit except its speed.

... And the fact that it can hold another 64 spots of inventory space. Not as much as the cyclops, but much more efficient in the long run for single - resource runs.

I don't care about speed. That's why I take a while to get things in the game. Efficiency for me is the build up resources. The Cyclops I'll leave parked above me. Mine, gather repeat. I'm the guy who gathers 200 pieces of quartz before I venture into the ILZ. I'll have a prawn suit and a Cyclops before my base is even powered. Those vehicles are more critical to me than a base. Work hard at the start. Than go smooth.

You can love the Seamoth. I'm not saying it's useless for everyone. but for me, it is. It has no real benefit the way I play the game. Beyond charging batteries.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    While the vehicle balance isn't terrible and each vehicle has their own niche, I do think that there's room for improvement for all of them.

Seamoth:
    Great all purpose vehicle, unfortunately it's completely useless in the end game because of its depth limit. The main change I would like to see is a depth upgrade to allow it to at least visit the ILZ. It could require materials like Kyanite so that you have to go there first anyways with the Prawn to mine it, but afterwards would be able to bring the Seamoth down there.

PRAWN:
    Has a lot of coolness factor and the hands being able to pick up resources without having to jump in and out is great. Unfortunately, its main use is drilling for resources, which is an extremely annoying task with the current implementation. For changes, I would like to see drilled resources automatically added to the inventory instead of being dropped into the world where they just roll away and are lost. Also, a maneuverability upgrade would be great since the suit has a nasty tendency to get stuck on the terrain. Maybe improve the thruster/grapple or something.

Cyclops:
    It's a lot better than it used to be and fills the role of a mobile base nicely. Unfortunately, the interior layout is fairly illogical and leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not really expecting the interior to be reworked at this point, but one major feature I would like to see added is an easy way to access the inventory of a docked vehicle. Right now the only way to do so is to undock the vehicle and manually access the inventory. The cockpit is also annoying to use since you have to look at each of the buttons on the hud and click on them instead of just being able to use a key. Also, some kind of base docking (I know, they'll look into it after 1.0).
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; we have a motorbike (Seamoth) and a Mack truck (Cyclops) but what we really need most of all is a middle-ground; a white Transit van.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    The ability to get into and out of the seamoth and prawn inventory while docked in the cyclops would be a really nice quality of life improvement. Prawn suit mostly just want it to be a bit more mobile on the ground.
    l

I have those problems, had to spawn in at least 4 new PRAWNS because of it, Im about to give up and just take the cyclops and seaglide if I need to get out, they better fix this ASAP

My best counter would to be to transport it in your cyclops.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited October 2017
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; we have a motorbike (Seamoth) and a Mack truck (Cyclops) but what we really need most of all is a middle-ground; a white Transit van.

How much more storage do you want in the White Transit Van than the 48 slots of storage from adding 3 each of the 16 slot storage compartments to a Seamoth? (Assuming you use 1 slot for depth)

Do you want something like 256? But then they would have to make the vehicle slower than the Cyclops, wouldn't they? Then, who would use it?
    Ralij wrote: »
    The ability to get into and out of the seamoth and prawn inventory while docked in the cyclops would be a really nice quality of life improvement. Prawn suit mostly just want it to be a bit more mobile on the ground.

It looks like they've given some thought to giving us vehicle inventory access from inside the Cyclops. But it is probably much more involved than we think and/or they needed to work on other stuff for the 1.0 release:

/main/Added vehicle inventory access from inside Cyclops 53575 Scott Thunelius iteration 2017-09-14 08:40:41
    /main/Added vehicle inventory access from inside Cyclops 52944 Scott Thunelius iteration 2017-09-01 10:56:25
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    garath wrote: »
    How much more storage do you want in the White Transit Van than the 48 slots of storage from adding 3 each of the 16 slot storage compartments to a Seamoth? (Assuming you use 1 slot for depth)

100 would suffice.
    But then they would have to make the vehicle slower than the Cyclops, wouldn't they?

No.

100 would suffice.
    But then they would have to make the vehicle slower than the Cyclops, wouldn't they?

No.

I still see no need for another sub atm. The devs should fix the bugs now, instead of adding more subs, which I'm pretty sure they said they weren't going to do.

100 would suffice.

No.

I still see no need for another sub atm. The devs should fix the bugs now, instead of adding more subs, which I'm pretty sure they said they weren't going to do.

That's their plan no subs until maybe after 1.0

Of course they won't, and shouldn't, not now. They should have, however, in early development.

Of course they won't, and shouldn't, not now. They should have, however, in early development.

can't change the past though.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members

It looks like they've given some thought to giving us vehicle inventory access from inside the Cyclops. But it is probably much more involved than we think and/or they needed to work on other stuff for the 1.0 release:

/main/Added vehicle inventory access from inside Cyclops 53575 Scott Thunelius iteration 2017-09-14 08:40:41
    /main/Added vehicle inventory access from inside Cyclops 52944 Scott Thunelius iteration 2017-09-01 10:56:25

Looks like it's gonna be in the next build. Can't wait to test it out.
    CS#55563 by @UWE_Klegran: - Added: Cyclops Docked Vehicle Storage and Module Access Terminal
    edited October 2017
    Jarin wrote: »

Looks like it's gonna be in the next build. Can't wait to test it out.
    CS#55563 by @UWE_Klegran: - Added: Cyclops Docked Vehicle Storage and Module Access Terminal

@jarin Is that from the Twitter?

Scott Thunelius has been working on this for a while. It's pretty exciting to think we'll see it today or tomorrow when it gets pushed out to Steam experimental!

55563 /main 2017-10-25 17:59:52 Scott Thunelius - Added: Cyclops Docked Vehicle Storage and Module Access Terminal

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited October 2017
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    IMWOWsC.jpg
    KjqEmGl.jpg
    UCgSNvN.jpg

This is really cool and all, but, will this just look at Vehicles storage, or will it have all the capabilities of the Vehicle Modification Station? Because if it does, what use do you have to build both a Cyclops and a Moonpool? People would clearly just build the Cyclops to get all the benefits the Moonpool has, and much more. So that makes Base Building essentially useless.

I just hope that this module just allows access to storage.

Skope wrote: »
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    IMWOWsC.jpg
    KjqEmGl.jpg
    UCgSNvN.jpg

This is really cool and all, but, will this just look at Vehicles storage, or will it have all the capabilities of the Vehicle Modification Station? Because if it does, what use do you have to build both a Cyclops and a Moonpool? People would clearly just build the Cyclops to get all the benefits the Moonpool has, and much more. So that makes Base Building essentially useless.

I just hope that this module just allows access to storage.

I've been following the code check-ins and most only ever mentioned storage access. It is only the more recent ones that have also mentioned module access.

Rather than asking if it *only* allows storage access, now that it seems it might give access to modules, I'm curious if we'll be able to change Seamoth / Prawn battery/ power cell from this console. That would be pretty awesome.

All I have to say... Man! this is gonna be HUGE!!

edited October 2017
    Loaded up [55564], and the console provides access to storage and modules. You see the 4 storage slots and click on them individually to access the items in each. The item in the middle gives access to the upgrades. It will show 4 storage lockers in the display even if you only have 3 storage lockers. It's just that if you click on the icon for a storage locker but don't have one equipped there, you can't access it as a container.

Wow! This is just too awesome!
    You see the 4 storage slots and click on them individually to access the items in each. The item in the middle gives access to the upgrades. It will show 4 storage lockers in the display even if you only have 3 storage lockers. It's just that if you click on the icon for a storage locker but don't have one equipped there, you can't access it as a container.
    It doesn't line up which storage is in which slot on the seamoth right now, either. But I suspect that's a pretty easy fix.