Development of the PDApp

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You want inventory to be dual-use, IMHO. Each item obviously doesnt REALLY contain anything but text, why not make it useful? Click on the inventory slot to open your item, maybe I have a shopping list (checkboxes)? A reminder (more involved coding I'm sure but huge boost in usability)? To-do list (also checkboxes).
    Basically, make the PDApp a Subnautica PDA themed productivity app. Hence my suggestions for the Beacons and Dive Reel.

Just an idea.

Oh. For reminders and / or alarms, you could put in a new Comm Relay page and stick them there.

My main point here is if you make PDApp a useful gimmick, people will use it more. If it's only a Subnautica gimmick that's not useful, its lifespan will be shorter (people will move on faster, there's only so many times you'll play with an app if all it does is store more entries and look like the SN PDA).
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    You want inventory to be dual-use, IMHO. Each item obviously doesnt REALLY contain anything but text, why not make it useful? Click on the inventory slot to open your item, maybe I have a shopping list (checkboxes)? A reminder (more involved coding I'm sure but huge boost in usability)? To-do list (also checkboxes).
    Basically, make the PDApp a Subnautica PDA themed productivity app. Hence my suggestions for the Beacons and Dive Reel.

Just an idea.

Oh. For reminders and / or alarms, you could put in a new Comm Relay page and stick them there.

My main point here is if you make PDApp a useful gimmick, people will use it more. If it's only a Subnautica gimmick that's not useful, its lifespan will be shorter (people will move on faster, there's only so many times you'll play with an app if all it does is store more entries and look like the SN PDA).
    In that case, updated polish roadmap:
    Main Hud:

Implement swiping
    Implement something to show you which page you are on
    Implement notification system

Bootup:

Use Alterra logo
    Use circular slider

Databank:

Make a whole instruction manual

Map:

Distance from one beacon to another/from yourself to another beacon
    List of beacons
    Track journeys?
    inventory:

Ditch checklist system
    if a button is pressed redirect to an empty page, basically what the inventory is now.
    have multiple buttons to direct you to that page.
    So, I know I said I wasn't going to post any APKs until thursday, but I've finished all the stuff for moving pages back, and it seems to be working with the little testing that I've done! So, @0x6A7232 , could you test that the pages add and delete themselves as they're supposed to(bear in mind that creating a new photos tab will cause the live feed on the new photos tab to break)? I've also finished going back over my old code, so updates should be back up again tomorrow! And I've just realized, I've narrowed everything I need to work on down to the photos tab, so for this leg of the roadmap all I have left is:
    • implement saving photos(Look up how to set Texture2D as an image)
    • Get instantiated photos tab live feed working
    todays update isn't really that big, I just created a system in which when you press take picture it creates a new picture in the scrollbox of to the right, and it then shows at the top right of the photo, however the photo just shows what the camera is showing, it doesn't show a still image, but I think I've got a system for that worked out. I've also figured out why the camera doesn't show on an created tab, and I'm hoping to fix that soon.
    The update today is miniscule, It only brings the camera the right way around(I think), and fixes the bug with the live feed not working on an instantiated photos tab. I did do quite a lot of work on saving photos, but, while I discovered how to change them into a texture2d and display on an image, the live feed freezes up and only updates when you press the take picture button, and I also can't make every photo different(the older photos are defaulting to the latest photo taken). However, This does mean I can officially say that adding and deleting pages is finished, because I've fixed all the bugs!
    I'll try to snag this and test a bit.
    I'll try to snag this and test a bit.

The picture taking isn't actually implemented yet.
    edited October 2017
    So, I've just finished the photos tab. which means, I'm moving onto the next stage in my giant roadmap: PDAconnect. I'm quite happy that I finished this on a friday, so I have the weekend to deccide what I whant to o with the PDAconnect page, and also time to take suggestions. So I'm just wondering, should the list of servers be a dropdown menu, like in the Databank, or a long scrolling list? Also, should you select a databank article to send by a long scrolling list, or by a dropdown? Should I include a swear words filter, and change swear words to something else(F-word = Love, B-word = female dog)?Also I'd appreciate suggestions for the PDAconnect page. So, anyway, with the photos tab, It's quite easy to operate, press "take picture" to take a picture, And look at all the lovely pictures you've taken on the left hand side. Also, if you take a picture, then open yourfile explorer, and go down the Main storage, then to "Android", then "Data", and then com.Recursion_enterprises.PDApp, Press on "Data", and there you'll find all your photos you've taken, Encoded to a PNG format! By the way, I just did this for a bit of fun, and if you kill the app completely, the photos will still be there, but if you take a new photo, "photo1" will be deleted and overriden, so move the photos you like out of that folder. It shouldn't break the App. Also, I'd suggest uninstalling your current PDApp version, and then completely reinstalling it from the new APK, as Given that I changed a few settings around, Your tablet will just install a completely new app, also called PDApp, but not with all the new stuff. For those who don't remember my giant roadmap:
    • Finish up UI
    • PDAconnect
    • Save/load functionality
    • Polish
    • Release
    • Continued support
    P.S @0x6A7232 , could I please have a list of suggestions please, and @kingkuma , or @whoeverelse wants to do art, could you please show up so I can organize your arting efforts?
    I'll actually just create the server chooser and choosing a databank entry using a scrolling system. It shouldn't be too hard. I'll also post a picture of what PDAconnect will look like today.
    Also, what do you think the Server info box should show(The box will only show up if you have your own server)?
    edited October 2017
    So, Normally don't update on saturday, but I've made a bit of progress on the PDAconnect system, so I just decided to update. You can't actually chat with anyone, but I've got a large chunk of stuff sorted out(usernames, havig a list of messages). I've also decided that PDAconnect will only work when the two devices are on the same wifi network, as the other unity option of using the unity servers, will only allow 20 chatters with my current free plan. @0x6a7232 , could you please check the PDAconnect page, and see if theres anything that a normal chat system would have, and that I've missed(like having a username, and stuff like that)?
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    Are you gonna implement that you can use the app without connecting to subnautica, like "saving" the data from the account you recently connected to? Or is it already done/planned?
    Some form of lobby? Or perhaps password protection? eg, you and 3 friends want to hang out and chat privately without random people popping in. But, public servers should remain.

As for a profanity filter, usually it just takes the offending word and replaces the characters with asterisks (*****)
    Are you gonna implement that you can use the app without connecting to subnautica, like "saving" the data from the account you recently connected to? Or is it already done/planned?

I don't quite know what you're talking about, but the app is designed to be used without any computer help, and doesn't support subnautica or anything. All PDApp data will eventually be saved to Unitys persistentDataPath, and then reloaded from when you boot it again.
    Some form of lobby? Or perhaps password protection? eg, you and 3 friends want to hang out and chat privately without random people popping in. But, public servers should remain.

As for a profanity filter, usually it just takes the offending word and replaces the characters with asterisks (*****)

I'm going to add password protection at some point. And for the profanity filter, I'm going to have to write a lot of code for that, why not make it fun?
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    Recursion wrote: »

I don't quite know what you're talking about, but the app is designed to be used without any computer help, and doesn't support subnautica or anything. All PDApp data will eventually be saved to Unitys persistentDataPath, and then reloaded from when you boot it again.

I'm going to add password protection at some point. And for the profanity filter, I'm going to have to write a lot of code for that, why not make it fun?
    Oh okay.
    Is it gonna be on app/play store when finished or just an apk?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited October 2017

I could provide some ideas for "fun" ways of using a profanity filter. ;)

For example, if someone says, "You're a *****," it would place a picture of a poorly drawn dog instead of that particular comment.

Or something along those lines.

Trolling is fun.
    :trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface:

Yeah I tried your app, this is my honest review:
    It has got great potential, but needs a lot of work. The UI is kind of confusing, you should make the it cleaner and more "Alterra like"(Futuristic), and please make it be able to be used both horizontally and vertically.
    What are your plans for now?

Probably just APK, there is a charge of $20 to put an app on google play.
    It has got great potential, but needs a lot of work. The UI is kind of confusing, you should make the it cleaner and more "Alterra like"(Futuristic), and please make it be able to be used both horizontally and vertically.

I'll do horizontal and vertical use for polish, and making the UI cleaner can also go into polish. Currently I'm working on PDAconnect. After that, I'll work on saving data, and then the polish and release.
    Can you post a photo of how it is going to look?
    Can you post a photo of how it is going to look?

The latest version contains an early mockup of it.
    edited October 2017

I'll do horizontal and vertical use for polish, and making the UI cleaner can also go into polish. Currently I'm working on PDAconnect. After that, I'll work on saving data, and then the polish and release.

Dude, I'll send you the $20. Actually, it's $25, but whatever. It's one-time, yes? Cause if you want to put it up there now and just update it that way, find me a way to get you $25 and we can do that now (just be sure to mention in the description that it's a WIP and any suggestions / feedback are welcome. )

What's the best way to send the money? PayPal? Google Wallet? Money Order?
    edited October 2017

Dude, I'll send you the $20. Actually, it's $25, but whatever. It's one-time, yes? Cause if you want to put it up there now and just update it that way, find me a way to get you $25 and we can do that now (just be sure to mention in the description that it's a WIP and any suggestions / feedback are welcome. )

What's the best way to send the money? PayPal? Google Wallet? Money Order?

First of all, it's just $25(yes, It was $25. I just thought it was $20 because I live in england, so $25 rounds to £18.95, which I just rounded to $20 in my mind) to open the account(I just said it was $25 to put an app up because it was snappier), and maybe We can think about that at the time of full release, as Some people might not read the bit about it being a WIP, and I also want to have something like putting it on the app store for the full release, just for a bit of ceremony. I might just pay the money myself, though, as before this I made another game which I would quite like to put on the app store. Thanks very much for the kind offer, though. I had no Idea people liked this app so much!
    Skope wrote: »

I could provide some ideas for "fun" ways of using a profanity filter. ;)

For example, if someone says, "You're a *****," it would place a picture of a poorly drawn dog instead of that particular comment.

Or something along those lines.

Trolling is fun.
    :trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface:

Good idea, Unfortunatley I won't be able to insert images into the chat, but If you think of some text-based profanity filter ideas, I'll give them some thought.
    Today I didn't do much, I just set up the network connection and the server display. Now, when another PDApp initalizes it's server, A little button will show up on your middle scroll-bit(I don't really know what they're called), showing the frequency and the name(currently more boring stuff shows up as well, but I hope to fix that tomorrow). Just click the button to enter that server(you don't actually enter, some text just shows up on the far left scrolly-thing, but I hope to fix That tomorrow). Also, I'd Recomend Uninstalling the PDApp and reinstalling it from the APK, as I changed a few more settings so that I could run multiple instances on my one tablet, and A completley new PDApp might install. However, The hard bit of communicating between PDApps is done now!(by the by, Ending a server will break some stuff, and the server will not vanish from the other PDApps)
    edited October 2017
    Today I implemented a bit of message sending. Now, When a PDApp connects to another PDApp server(also, the issues with server names has been fixed), the client can then see any messages the server sends over. However, the client cannot currently send any messages to the server, But I'm going to do a bit of work on that tomorrow. Also, usernames are now implemented, and pressing a server button will bring up only the stuff you need to see, and not all the stuff that makes the app run. The PDAconnect page has also been added to the page adding page. @0x6a7232 (I've finally memorized your name!), could you please make sure this is all working as it should(If this requires more android devices than you own, never mind, just say you don't have enought devices, and I'll change a few settings around so that I can get multiple instances running on my tablet, and test it myself. Also, could you check that the "end server" button works properly?
    edited October 2017
    No update today, As while I did a lot of work on the chat system, there was a bug in unity which causes the servers string that it broadcasts not to update itself, and I can't really do anything with this bug being in unity, so I've filed a bug report and I'm hoping they'll get back to me soon.
    Can you add a blueprint tab where you can add your own blueprints too?
    Can you add a blueprint tab where you can add your own blueprints too?

Like adding a Recipe as a blueprint and when you click on it it will tell you the ingredients? Possibly after The full release. PDAconnect, The photos tab, the inventory, the databank, and the pings tab are the only pages that will be in the full release, but I'm hoping to make them brilliant. Also, I've had another idea for PDAconnect, the chat system should see some updates today.
    I've decided to stop working of PDAconnect, as I'm getting a lot of bugs That I can't fix, and what with unity having it's bug, I thought it might be better to work on it after the full release. PDAconnect will at some point happen, It just can't happen now. I'm going to get to work with saving and loading data now.