Storage access on the seamoth/prawn inconsistencies

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Some annoying things about the prawn/seamoth:

1) You can't access storage/upgrades while docked in Cyclops. Would be nice to be able to do it when walking underneath and pointing up.
2) Can't repair seamoth/prawn with welder while underneath inside Cyclops (without using the dedicated subsystem).
3) Can't access prawn storage while docked in the moonpool.
4) Torpedo bays unaccessible while docked anywhere, which isn't as big of a deal usually.

Hope they're just bugs, would love to be able to access all ports when docked in the Cyclops or Moonpool.

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I have thought about this often and what they could do about it. Making storage and upgrades accessible from the Cyclops would, I think, require a re-design of how the vehicle is docked and that would take a lot of work. Making Prawn storage accessible from the Moonpool would probably be a lot easier, though, and I hope they do that. Torpedoes, too.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It wouldn't "look" right being able to access ports while underneath in the Cyclops, but I could handle the break in realism just to have the functionality :)

The prawn hatch also isn't aligned correctly with the docking hatch so there's a bit of a gap there, and the antenna clips through a bit but I imagine that was because the prawn model was designed after the Cyclops was finished.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    We have been asking for access to docked vehicle storage for quite a long time. I once saw some code check-ins that indicated the developers have heard our pleas and started working on this. But it clearly is more involved and/or there are other priorities or it might be done by now. It's not a bug. It is just a feature they haven't coded yet.

I think the current system is just ridiculous. You have to park your Seamoth -> OUTSIDE <- the Cyclops and then run back and forth from one vehicle to the next transferring items. At the very least, it should work identically to the Moon Pool. But even the Moon Pool method strikes me as rather awkward. In a perfectly magical world, there would be some way to open a locker in your base and pick one of the storage lockers on the Seamoth to transfer items from Seamoth to the locker. I doubt that will ever happen. But I can dream...
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    What I find weird. You use to be able to access the PRAWN storage while docked in the moon pool. Like last year. When I came back to play SUB, it was removed. Why did that happen? You where able to walk to the edge of the ramp and just be able to click it. They don't really need to do a full redesign to move items. What they could do is have a teleport console upgrade. Pulls all material into its own storage buffer. You than can move everything to where ever. The cyclops the same thing. A teleport console on a lower deck wall. It teleports the items to it's buffer. Than do whatever. Say the upgrade is tied to the warpgate tech. Install the console in the MPR wall slots. You than link one console to one moon pool. If they allow the Cyclops to dock. the item console can pull from the cyclops storage.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited October 2017
    Looks like they are continuing to work on this:

55437 /main/Cyclops Vehicle Storage Terminal 2017-10-23 15:19:42 Scott Thunelius iteration
    55435 /main/Cyclops Vehicle Storage Terminal 2017-10-23 13:51:06 Scott Thunelius animations
    55434 /main/Cyclops Vehicle Storage Terminal 2017-10-23 13:47:58 Scott Thunelius iteration

55424 /main/Cyclops Vehicle Storage Terminal 2017-10-23 07:28:15 Scott Thunelius iteration
    55423 /main/Cyclops Vehicle Storage Terminal 2017-10-23 06:52:48 Scott Thunelius iteration
    55422 /main/Cyclops Vehicle Storage Terminal 2017-10-23 05:24:40 Scott Thunelius Cyclops Vehicle Storage Terminal