Development of the PDApp

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    edited October 2017
    Smallish update today, I worked on adding and deleting pages, and while you can now add as many inventorys as you want, and delete any page you want, there are still a few things i'm working out. Be aware that you can only add inventorys. Tommorow I hope to finish up adding and deleting pages. I've also drawn out a small concept for the PDAconnect page. 6vmt1yfqwdmd.png
    "Name" is where you will put your name, and "Comment" is the comment box.
    Updated roadmap:

Finish inventory
    Finish pings tab
    Finish photos tab(be able to save photos)
    Finish data bank tab
    Finish main HUD
    Add deleting pages function
    add creating pages function
    Add page giving credit to the devs
    booting sequence
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited October 2017
    I've downloaded the zips fine and opened them with xplore. Just tapped apk and it installed. Didn't have to copy any files.
    Basically what 0x said, just download any file manager and allow unknown sources
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    I've downloaded the zips fine and opened them with xplore. Just tapped apk and it installed. Didn't have to copy any files.
    Basically what 0x said, just download any file manager and allow unknown sources

What do you think of it so far?
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Haven't downloaded the latest version (only the first few) but when I get WiFi I will check
    edited October 2017
    Today I did a bit of work on Creating/deleting pages, however, if you go below 3 pages it will freak out, something I'll fix tommorow, and also add something in case no pages are open. Also, if you destroy a photos tab, and then create a new one, the live feed will not work. you can also only have one camera page, one databank page, and one pings page. @0x6A7232 , Any feedback and/or bug reports about the adding and deleting pages(Remember it isn't finished currently) would be great.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @everyone I made a shortcut to the last (/#latest) page of this thread here (didn't want to type the long address into my cell):

https://is.gd/PDApp
    edited October 2017
    The "Booting in Standard Mode" message is in a square box. I switched to landscape mode as it was loading (not sure if that's why this happened) and the "Booting" message moved towards the top-left of the screen (not all the way) and the circular loading message indicator sat on top of it. Will test more, gotta work soon. EDIT: Maybe put a +/- sign next to or with the seamoth icon to make clear it's zoom. Also, people might not know they can rename beacons, but not sure how to fix.
    Nitpick: license agreement thingy should say something other than "I have read and understood the words" (replace words with "license to use"?)
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    The "Booting in Standard Mode" message is in a square box. I switched to landscape mode as it was loading (not sure if that's why this happened) and the "Booting" message moved towards the top-left of the screen (not all the way) and the circular loading message indicator sat on top of it. Will test more, gotta work soon. EDIT: Maybe put a +/- sign next to or with the seamoth icon to make clear it's zoom. Also, people might not know they can rename beacons, but not sure how to fix.
    Nitpick: license agreement thingy should say something other than "I have read and understood the words" (replace words with "license to use"?)

The button moving is really annoying, I'm not even sure what's going on with it. I'll probably just cut it out of the final version. Sometimes it moves to different places, so I'm guessing it just randomly breaks at times. I'm guessing landscape mode was the problem. I'll put stuff like explaining about the beacons in the "Welcome" Databank entry.
    edited October 2017
    Not a very big update today, I just did a bit of work with adding and deleting pages. Adding them is fine, but I'm running into a lot of bugs trying to get the pages to change their position in the PDA hierarchy when another page is deleted(sometimes they don't change place, sometimes 2 change place to right on top of each other, inventorys created by pressing the ingame button just don't work). I'm probably going to end up just redoing all of that code. if you want to check out all the stuff with deleting pages, I wouldn't reccomend downloading the latest update, as your pages will get screwed up beyond belief, but @0x6A7232 , Could you check for any bugs with adding(and only adding) pages(Inventorys only, actually, as the other stuff will bug out cause of other reasons)?
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    @Recursion when do you expect this project will be 100% complete?

Keep in mind, with any project done for free, in the project developer's free time, that kind of question can be considered loaded.

I'm hoping to finish the UI stage quite soon, But I've left the hard stuff to last, so Maybe the UI will be finished next week?
    I just want to share the fact that I got the pages going down WORKING(Yay, confetti!), however it doesn't work on instantiated objects. buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I hope to fix that today. Or finish the photos tab. The photos tab would be nice. No annoying instantiations and destructions.
    edited October 2017
    Today I finally got the pages to move back(I did have to redo all my code)! However, on an instantiated(created by pressing one of the buttons in the adding display) tab, if you delete a page just under(to the left) of it, and it's the first time a page under it has been deleted, it will just break(I HATE instantiations). However, if you have just instantiated an inventory, and you have 2 inventorys, including the newly instantiated inventory, then it will all work fine(but this is a problem if you have just instantiated a map, databank, or photos tab as you can only have one of them at a time(by design, not accident)). I'm also no closer to fixing the fact that the camera live feed doesn't show up on instantiated photo tabs(did I mention how i hate instantiations?). @0x6A7232 , Could you please test adding and deleting pages? Remember that when you create a new tab, the first time you delete anything under it should be at least 2 pages under it.
    I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. I've got a bunch of boxes for "inventory" that I can rename, but I can't select or delete them. If I click the PDA icon, I can "Add checkbox" but it just makes another white square appear that I can't do anything with. I'll try to poke at it some more.
    I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. I've got a bunch of boxes for "inventory" that I can rename, but I can't select or delete them. If I click the PDA icon, I can "Add checkbox" but it just makes another white square appear that I can't do anything with. I'll try to poke at it some more.

Those boxes are the inventory. You can now delete and create Tabs(the pages you can get to by pressing in different places at the top scrollbar). To delete one press the - button to the left of the scrollbar, and to create one, press On the + button to the top left, then select which page you want to create.
    Recursion wrote: »

Those boxes are the inventory. You can now delete and create Tabs(the pages you can get to by pressing in different places at the top scrollbar). To delete one press the - button to the left of the scrollbar, and to create one, press On the + button to the top left, then select which page you want to create.

Oh, I see now. Maybe put a popup message: "New Page {type} created (/deleted)" -- I completely missed that the process was working, as I didn't notice the scroll bar change sizes by a small amount.

You're gonna want to change how that works, maybe... not allowing multiple instances or something? Or maybe it's better this way, but you could definitely give yourself mutiple instances of everything over and over and make a mess (like, if your kid got ahold of it or you had no clue what was actually happening when you were pressing the + buttons).
    I managed to delete every page except one, BTW. Just kept tapping the - button. Then I put them back.
    edited October 2017
    I managed to delete every page except one, BTW. Just kept tapping the - button. Then I put them back.

You can delete all of them. I thought about that. A page comes up saying You don't have any, and gives you helpful buttons to add them. Good to see that it works.

Oh, I see now. Maybe put a popup message: "New Page {type} created (/deleted)" -- I completely missed that the process was working, as I didn't notice the scroll bar change sizes by a small amount.

You're gonna want to change how that works, maybe... not allowing multiple instances or something? Or maybe it's better this way, but you could definitely give yourself mutiple instances of everything over and over and make a mess (like, if your kid got ahold of it or you had no clue what was actually happening when you were pressing the + buttons).

I should put a whole notification system into the PDApp in the polish stage.

You can delete all of them. I thought about that. A page comes up saying You don't have any, and gives you helpful buttons to add them. Good to see that it works.

I should put a whole notification system into the PDApp in the polish stage.

Round the edges off too, if you can. Make it look more like the PDA.
    edited October 2017
    Also, @0x6A7232 , You are only allowed multiple instances of the inventorys.
    Also, could you help put together a roadmap for the polish stage? So far it's something like:

Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    • Implement something to show you which page you are on
    • Implement notification system
    Bootup:
    • Use Alterra logo
    • Use circular slider
    Databank:
    • Make a whole instruction manual

So it would be great if you could expand it, and find things that need doing. And what do you mean by round the edges off?( @kingkuma , Could you just start doing a little bit of art now, by the way? Also, Have you ever worked with transparency?)
    Theres not going to be an update today as, while I have discovered why the instantiated pages aren't going back, I don't have A clue how to fix it, So I'm going to seek help from unity forums(I might be able to update tommorrow, however). I have discovered why the camera isn't showing on an instantiated photo tab, But I think it might be unitys problem.
    It would be good to have some real-world function as well as Subnautica tie-ins. For example, make the inventory items be lists or something? So you could have your to-do list, your shopping list, life goals, whatever.

The map could have several modes: of course just putting down beacons, but also following your trip and drawing a line (use the Dive Reel icon to initiate this, but don't make it a straight line of course, instead have it follow your path) as well as a function to designate or re-assign a beacon to be a "reference point" which will then be used to calculate distances from all other beacons to itself (one would perhaps use their "home" beacon for this, but then at work, they might switch it to "work" to see how far things are from there). That's as the bird flies. You also might want to implement a distance counter to the Dive Reel(s), showing how much "line" each one has paid out.
    edited October 2017
    It would be good to have some real-world function as well as Subnautica tie-ins. For example, make the inventory items be lists or something? So you could have your to-do list, your shopping list, life goals, whatever.

The map could have several modes: of course just putting down beacons, but also following your trip and drawing a line (use the Dive Reel icon to initiate this, but don't make it a straight line of course, instead have it follow your path) as well as a function to designate or re-assign a beacon to be a "reference point" which will then be used to calculate distances from all other beacons to itself (one would perhaps use their "home" beacon for this, but then at work, they might switch it to "work" to see how far things are from there). That's as the bird flies. You also might want to implement a distance counter to the Dive Reel(s), showing how much "line" each one has paid out.

The inventory Already has a checkbox system, Press on the toggle to toggle to the PDA sprite, and press add checkbox. You can then rename them. I might be able to have something like what you suggested for the map system, But it would mean quite a bit of work, As I just got the map system off the asset store(And I'm quite surprised it's free). I'm hoping to add a list showing where the beacons are though. Updated polish roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    • Implement something to show you which page you are on
    • Implement notification system

Bootup:
    • Use Alterra logo
    • Use circular slider

Databank:
    • Make a whole instruction manual
    Map:
    • Distance from one beacon to another/from yourself to another beacon
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys?
    Just now, I decided to have another short crack at the PDApp before dinner, and when I loaded it up, The inventory and pings tab Were working perfectly! I hadn't changed anything since I had shut it down earlier, It just suddenly started working, So I'm hoping this wasn't just a one-off, and More importantly that the databank and photos tab will start to work when I load it up tomorrow.
    Updates might stop for a few days, as I decided to ask my brother for help instead of the unity forums, and he told me he didn't have a clue how toy fix it, and suggested that I rewrite all of the code governing where the pages are, and how they move back, using object oriented programming, so I might just go back over all my code while I'm at it. i'm estimating updates will be happening again next thursday, at the latest.
  • coderlingucoderlingu Join Date: 2017-10-14 Member: 233555Members
    edited October 2017
    I would love to jump on this wagon. However, after catching up and seeing your last comment, I'll check periodically and begin helping with feedback with the next update you decide is worthy. This idea is awesome! Don't quit. Don't let it beat you!
    edited October 2017
    coderlingu wrote: »
    I would love to jump on this wagon. However, after catching up and seeing your last comment, I'll check periodically and begin helping with feedback with the next update you decide is worthy. This idea is awesome! Don't quit. Don't let it beat you!

Thanks for the encouraging words! I would welcome feedback any time, however your feedback will probably only go to improving the polish stage roadmap, But any bug reports will be acknowledged, And I'll try to fix them to the best of my ability.
    edited October 2017
    I've decided I'm going to attempt to keep up the updates by saying what I'm doing, and not actually posting an APK. Today I'm going to work out how I'm going to move the pages back and forth, and ask my brother how I can create and use a page class for inheritance. I'm also going to work out some sort of system so that Instead of all the pages governing themselves, and woe betide the game if they don't do that properly, they should pass the number telling which the current window is to the next page, so I'm hoping I can get some inter-page communication going. I won't implement this today, but I'm hoping to implement it tomorrow.
    edited October 2017
    Today I implemented the new system for switching pages(which uses a system Which I quite like, It just puts all the pages into a list, and just calls the items on the list to be shown, which means that the pages get shown. The big reason why this is much better, is that unity's support for lists contains the "Remove" function, which removes an object at a certain point in the list, and unity does the math to make the objects, and thus the pages, move back), got rid of quite a few static variables that weren't needed, and looked over the code for the main HUD. also @0x6A7232 , Could I have some feedback on the inventory please?