New Recipes!

baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
I'm currently deep in a build# 55037 game and I am loving the new recipes. I actually ran out of lead early on instead of stockpiling it. (Gold, on the other hand. . .)

1) The main objection I had was to the WFM recipe. It was 2 titanium-- no filitration medium, no wiring to speak of. This has been changed (the filtration medium, I assume, is what the Aerogel is).
2) Silver is no longer a component of Solar Panels (THANK GOD) but copper is. This is much more reasonable.
3) I found all the parts of the Modification Station very early. It requires a diamond and some lead to construct now, and I am quite okay with this.
4) I'm pleased to see Enameled Glass is part of the Observatory once again, but I'd maybe bump that up to three pieces needed.

That said, there are a few suggestions I have for re-balancing certain recipes for realism:

1) Beds. They're made out of titanium, but appear to have a comforter, pillows, and sheets. Shouldn't cloth be required for those? Fiber mesh (or synthetic fibers for the fancier double bed) should be part of the recipe
2) Benches. There's clearly a rubber portion for sitting on, but if it's some sort of vinyl, then you could approximate a vinyl polymer with polyaniline and benzene. Ditto for at least two of the chairs.
3) Battlestar Galactica Wall planters should at least use a Creepvine Sample to account for the foliage.
4) The Nuclear Waste Disposal should definitely have lead as part of its recipe.
5) The Scanner Room and the Spotlight both have moving parts, so Lubricant should be part of their recipes.
5a) A good portion of the Scanner Room's recipe is the same as a Computer Chip, less one Table Coral (2 Copper, 1 Gold, 1 Table Coral). Why not just make it 5 Titanium & a Computer Chip?
6) The Moonpool is a place for you to dock vehicles, but it also recharges their power cells. The non-overlapping ingredients in a Power Cell Charger (Advanced Wiring Kit, 2 Rubies) should be part of the recipe.
6a) If you really want to hear angry howling and yowling, remove PCC fragments from the game and grant the blueprint on construction of a Moonpool.

Overall, I am very pleased with these changes! If I might make yet one more suggestion, we have two sources of gold. What we could really use is a second source of copper; Shale Outcrops are the perfect candidate for swapping.

Comments

• KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    You also have reefbacks as a source of copper. Their barnacles have a high chance of dropping copper.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    (Advanced Wiring Kit, 2 Rubies)

Great to hear they're continuing to tweak the recipe balance... but since when are there rubies?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    (Advanced Wiring Kit, 2 Rubies)

Great to hear they're continuing to tweak the recipe balance... but since when are there rubies?

They changed the name of Aluminum Oxide to Rubies in the Fabricator, since that's essentially what they are.
    (but They didn't change the name tag on the actual items themselves yet out in the wild)
    B)

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited October 2017
    The name may not be changed in Stable, but it's definitely changed in Experimental.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Kurasu wrote: »
    You also have reefbacks as a source of copper. Their barnacles have a high chance of dropping copper.

Don't forget about the sea treader's path, AKA: The giant foot monster trail
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    On that subject - I notice that the basalt chunks left by the sea treaders aren't scannable and look like the old "all outcrops look the same" style, rather than having a new model. Is this still true in experimental?

I also don't think I've seen basalt anywhere else this patch.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    On that subject - I notice that the basalt chunks left by the sea treaders aren't scannable and look like the old "all outcrops look the same" style, rather than having a new model. Is this still true in experimental?

The outcroppings stirred up by the Sea Treaders aren't really basalt outcroppings. They sink away rather quickly and when cracked, they yield Copper and Lithium.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Sea Treader outcrops are now Shale Outcrops due to Basalt being removed in experimental mode. They give the same things that normal Shale Outcrops do.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Sea Treader outcrops are now Shale Outcrops due to Basalt being removed in experimental mode. They give the same things that normal Shale Outcrops do.

What?! They got rid of Basalt?! Why? Why get rid of Basalt of all things? Basalt was one of the most useful outcrops in the game, right behind Sandstone. That makes no sense.

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Skope wrote: »

What?! They got rid of Basalt?! Why? Why get rid of Basalt of all things? Basalt was one of the most useful outcrops in the game, right behind Sandstone. That makes no sense.

What the problem with removing the basalt outcrops gold and diamonds are already in shale outcrops and they will find a way to add diamonds to early biomes
    Here's an interesting balance change posted on checkins: 9g4pzsf4jodt.png
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Here's an interesting balance change posted on checkins:
    9g4pzsf4jodt.png

I saw that as well and was curious. It almost makes it sound like there will be just a single PRAWN depth module that jumps its depth to 1700 on the very first depth module upgrade.

• Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Oh. So now the Depth modules will be set to each vehicle. I don't mind that. Cool that the Prawn suit depth to go right to maximum.
    edited October 2017
    The Prawn Suit's depth module just got added. It costs 1 Plasteel and 3 Nickel Ore, which I think is kind of cheap.
    Something like 1 Computer Chip, 2 Aerogel, 1 Plasteel, and 5 or more Nickel would probably be more fitting for how deep it takes you.

I also don't see a reason for it to still take you to 1700 meters down, seeing as the deepest area that you're meant to visit is only just above 1500 deep.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    It's probably just as a buffer. You get 200 meters if you want to risk grabbing some resources from the maps outer wall.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    The Prawn Suit's depth module just got added. It costs 1 Plasteel and 3 Nickel Ore, which I think is kind of cheap.
    Something like 1 Computer Chip, 2 Aerogel, 1 Plasteel, and 5 or more Nickel would probably be more fitting for how deep it takes you.

I also don't see a reason for it to still take you to 1700 meters down, seeing as the deepest area that you're meant to visit is only just above 1500 deep.

The big point is the requirement for Nickel, which means you have to visit down at least to the Lost River before you can make it. It's progress-gating.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    It's probably just as a buffer. You get 200 meters if you want to risk grabbing some resources from the maps outer wall.

Why would you do that, though, when Ghost Leviathans are just waiting to grab you? I can think of anywhere else I'd rather be than 1700 meters down on the edge of the Void. x.x
    I haven't seen any resources in the Dead Zone aside from at the very edge where it meets with another biome.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »

Why would you do that, though, when Ghost Leviathans are just waiting to grab you? I can think of anywhere else I'd rather be than 1700 meters down on the edge of the Void. x.x

Maybe in the future other biomes will be that deep ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Just totally unrelated that is still kinda related... "Recipes" for mechanical stuff just sounds wrong on so many levels... Isn't that stuff more about cooking and baking?

Plans/blueprints vs grandma's recipes, this shit is driving me nuts :tongue:
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I mean they practically are, in a way... :P
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    RIP Basalt, you will be remembered. Press F to pay respects.

F
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Just totally unrelated that is still kinda related... "Recipes" for mechanical stuff just sounds wrong on so many levels... Isn't that stuff more about cooking and baking?

Plans/blueprints vs grandma's recipes, this shit is driving me nuts :tongue:

Just pretend the Habitat builder and Fabricator are easy bake ovens :tongue:.
    MaxAstro wrote: »
    I mean they practically are, in a way... :P

Fair enuf!

Carry on...
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Hmmm. The. . . blueprint. . . for the Fabricator seems to have been simplified down to 1 Titanium, 1 Gold, 1 Table Coral Sample. I have to say I'm not pleased for a couple of reasons.

The first is that Fabricator is a much more complex piece of machinery than those ingredients would belie. It rearranges molecules into specific things. It cooks your food and somehow disposes of whole skeletons, internal organs, and bodily fluids. Somewhere in there, there's a database, which implies a whole lot of other things.

The second is that being able to build a Fabricator used to feel like a significany achievement. You finally gathered up enough resources, built the necessary components, and were about to finally gain your independence from Lifepod 5. Now? Feels like you don't even need to build anything more than a Habitat Builder and you're set.

In my opinion, an Advanced Wiring Kit, a Computer Chip, and a couple Titanium should be the minimum requirements to build a Fabricator if the. . . blueprint. . . is to be kept realistic.

I'd also like to see some sort of in-game explanation for why a single Copper is sufficient for things that should logically require Copper Wire (basically, anything that transmits a signal).
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited October 2017
    The simplification of the fabricator recipe was an intentional decision so that building a basic base with a fabricator does not require use of another fabricator to make the ingredients.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Maybe, as a feature somewhere further down the line, Hardcore mode could include more complicated recipes for things. I agree that a more difficult recipe for the fabricator can make it feel more like an accomplishment to get one, but I also like not having to worry about straining for resources in the early game to get a base going.

Gameplay trade-off.
    Olmy wrote: »
    The simplification of the fabricator recipe was an intentional decision so that building a basic base with a fabricator does not require use of another fabricator to make the ingredients.

I kind of want to mumble something about the conservation of mass and energy here but I suppose that ship sailed long ago.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Olmy wrote: »

I kind of want to mumble something about the conservation of mass and energy here but I suppose that ship sailed long ago.

Sailed, hit an iceberg, sank, crew got eaten by a ghost reaper.