GAME WON'T SAVE MY PROGRESS (3 in 1 update)

Comments

• mercianmercian Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232938Members
    So it seems that the devs have spent there time on giving us a cuddly fish.....brilliant....but cant see any point in updating the game with anything other than a fix so that most people can actually play this...seems their proprieties are a bit mixed up....At this time I can not recommend this game on the xbox...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited October 2017
    Good freaking grief. Do we all have reading comprehension issues?!? Slowly and clearly now: THEY PUT IN EXTRA ERROR REPORTING FEATURES IN THE NEW UPDATE TO HELP PINPOINT WHAT EXACTLY IS CAUSING THE SAVE PROBLEM.

Coding isn't fairies and unicorns, it takes a LOT of time, effort, and insanely frustrating work. Since they couldn't find the problem, they changed their code to report more of what's going on behind the scenes, to hopefully pinpoint the problem. Yeesh. Some people have about as much depth of understanding as a typical news reporter. :/ The devs have clearly communicated this multiple times now.

I can understand frustration, but not complete lack of comprehension of what was presented to you in a logical fashion in plain English. (I mean, if English was your second language or you used Google Translate, sure.)

No this post isn't directed at anyone in particular. If the shoe fits, wear it, I guess.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Good freaking grief. Do we all have reading comprehension issues?!? Slowly and clearly now: THEY PUT IN EXTRA ERROR REPORTING FEATURES IN THE NEW UPDATE TO HELP PINPOINT WHAT EXACTLY IS CAUSING THE SAVE PROBLEM.

Coding isn't fairies and unicorns, it takes a LOT of time, effort, and insanely frustrating work. Since they couldn't find the problem, they changed their code to report more of what's going on behind the scenes, to hopefully pinpoint the problem. Yeesh. Some people have about as much depth of understanding as a typical news reporter. :/ The devs have clearly communicated this multiple times now.

I can understand frustration, but not complete lack of comprehension of what was presented to you in a logical fashion in plain English. (I mean, if English was your second language or you used Google Translate, sure.)

No this post isn't directed at anyone in particular. If the shoe fits, wear it, I guess.

mmm....also in plain English....Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and all I am saying is being able to save is quite a basic function in any game, so this is not aimed at anyone in particular but you are a Knob.. :smiley:

mmm....also in plain English....Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and all I am saying is being able to save is quite a basic function in any game, so calm down and remember what your mummy tells you, if you cant say anything nice don't say anything at all....
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I've laid this out before but I'll say it again for the folks who are new to the thread.

The saving problem happens for some people and not others. Personally, saving on XBox works fine for me and always has.

When the devs, and Microsoft, did their internal testing, they did not encounter this problem.

I don't know if they can do it now, but for a long time the devs couldn't reproduce the problem on their test/development equipment. If you can't reproduce the problem in your own coding environment, it's really hard to troubleshoot and find what's wrong.

This is a really difficult bug and has been for a long time. They have not stopped working on it. They haven't put it aside in favor of other things. It's a huge concern for them. As others have said, the Cuddlefish update included new tools to help them find and fix the saving problem.

So even though it doesn't work right, play the game anyway. Play it a lot. Save often. Go for a long time without saving and then save. Try to save randomly. Save at specific intervals. Everything you do generates data for the devs to analyze, and the more data they have, the easier it will be for them to find and fix this.

Devs, if I'm wrong about any of this, please feel free to correct me.

For anyone else, let me say this:
    In real life I am a support engineer, and a big part of my job is taking technical information and putting into terms that non-technical people can understand. If there is anything you don't understand about what I said, anything you're confused about, please tell me what that is and I will do my best to explain it. I'm serious.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2017
    I've finally had the issue happen, but unfortunately it's on my retail Xbox and it refuses to happen on our Development kits. Which is a pain, as we cant debug retail units. We have a little more info though, so we're still looking into it. It's still an issue for a lot of people, we know. We're working hard on figuring this out.
  • astroneerant1astroneerant1 Auckland, New Zealand Join Date: 2017-10-06 Member: 233421Members
    Could it be that X box is the issue. The retail version might be different in the people that can save and those that cannot. Just a thaught.
  • VeateckVeateck Cz Join Date: 2017-09-09 Member: 232908Members
    mercian wrote: »

mmm....also in plain English....Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and all I am saying is being able to save is quite a basic function in any game, so calm down and remember what your mummy tells you, if you cant say anything nice don't say anything at all....

I recommend you reading the whole thread.
  • Leo045Leo045 Germany Join Date: 2017-09-15 Member: 233052Members
    That Sounds awesome. So you are getting closer and closer to the Problem.

I just wanted to leave some thoughts about the new Update.

First of all: Performance.

It is waaaaay better than before!!!!
    The 3in1 Update made it good but the Cuddlefisch made it awesome.
    I still have Frame drops sometimes but its way better than before.
    Terrainloading is often slow but thats not such a big issue.
    If you drive your Seamoth straight ahead, the terrain is often to slow to load.
    One thing i want to point out:
    When i enter the Seamoth i get like 90% of the time a short lag.(usually 1-2 sec freeze)

But overall performance improved a lot!!!
    Yesterday was the first time i saw the mushroom forest in all its beauty (and without crashing my seamoth into something invisible ;) )

Regarding the save issue:

I still can´t save the game. I tried waiting for 5-10 Minutes and saved again but the game didn´t save.
    If there is anything i can do to help find the bug just tell me :)

One minor thing: if u are in your Seamoth and you open the Menu and press B, you exit your Seamoth.
    Wouldnt it be better if you just close the menu?

@all the whining people.

This is the thing that annoys me the most. You bought an early access game and expect it to run perfect.
    How stupid smart are you?? You buy in early access it you want to support the development and help to fix
    the issues. I mean there a like a 1000 warnings BEFORE you buy it that it might not work at all cause it is in EARLY ACCESS.
    And ranting about it wont help anyone. You clearly never seen Code in your whole life.
    Even simple routines and buttons can have thousand of lines and if you look at the whole code there might easy be millions.
    "Just fix the bug its annoying bla bla" - its not like there is a big red pointer where the issue is.
    If you wanna know how easy coding is, try to make a calculator (which was actually my first project in school :) )
    Afterward you can imagine how complex a game is.

Thats all i guess. Keep up the good work.

PS: i recently bought arc and tried it. Honestly, performance wise... its not much better then subnautica.
    Dont know how i got out of EA.
  • WeylandYutani1989WeylandYutani1989 Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228931Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I've finally had the issue happen, but unfortunately it's on my retail Xbox and it refuses to happen on our Development kits. Which is a pain, as we cant debug retail units. We have a little more info though, so we're still looking into it. It's still an issue for a lot of people, we know. We're working hard on figuring this out.

Sorry to ask but I thought subnautica had been passed on to Microsoft yesterday for cert , is this not the case ?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Sorry to ask but I thought subnautica had been passed on to Microsoft yesterday for cert , is this not the case ?

The patch got passed cert yes and was released already.
  • obsidian_eclipseobsidian_eclipse uk Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230239Members
    Could it be that X box is the issue. The retail version might be different in the people that can save and those that cannot. Just a thaught.

It might. It does happen between different xbox releases though. Some people have the original xbox one, some the xbox one s. They both have this issue, unless there's commonality between some of them and not others it's hard to pin down.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017

One should really try to base ones opinions on FACTS rather than FEELINGS though.

If you had taken the time to have read even a small part of this thread, you would have had no reason to doubt or even question whether or not the Dev's ARE ACTUALLY WORKING on the problem.

And then even you would have seen that your snarky remark at the top of this page toward the Dev's, was uncalled for and rude.

So who is really the one not taking their mother's sage advice here?

BTW: In this particular case shouldn't it actually be ... "If the Flipper fits, wear it."

B)
  • WeylandYutani1989WeylandYutani1989 Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228931Members

It passed ? , so does that mean it's fixed then ? I can save ?

• Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members

Give it a try. Only way to know.

I think they're still working on that one. If they'd fixed it for sure they would have announced it, but like I've said, even if it doesn't work, play anyway and keep trying to make it save. Send them the data with the feedback tool. It all helps.
    elfcrisis wrote: »

I think they're still working on that one. If they'd fixed it for sure they would have announced it, but like I've said, even if it doesn't work, play anyway and keep trying to make it save. Send them the data with the feedback tool. It all helps.

Yeah I'll keep trying , I thought what obraxis said meant it is working coz he said it had passed

Does anyone else get green flashes on there loading screen ?
  • bubba1234bubba1234 Netherlands Join Date: 2017-10-01 Member: 233347Members
    When i start a new game the first time i save it works. When i save again it doesnt... so doesnt matter how many times i save i keep going back to the first save.
    bubba1234 wrote: »
    When i start a new game the first time i save it works. When i save again it doesnt... so doesnt matter how many times i save i keep going back to the first save.

Yeah exact same , it's been like that since the save bug started
    bubba1234 wrote: »

In my case when I start a new game, it doesn't even make the first save.
  • SgtzravenSgtzraven United Kingdon Join Date: 2017-10-14 Member: 233546Members
    Hi all just wanted to add my 2 cents, i have been having to problem but it seams that its only started happen after 12 hours on one of my saves. But now every time i do load the game i can save after 2 minutes or 2 hours and the game loads back to my initail load. Only thing i can think is that an event has triggered in the game that has now stuck the save in a loop the other people who are having the problem what was the last recorded event to triger for you (i found the cannon and then i think the next messgae i get is about pod 12)
  • FarakFarak Join Date: 2017-10-14 Member: 233548Members
    I haven received a patch and my game still doesn't save.
  • SgtzravenSgtzraven United Kingdon Join Date: 2017-10-14 Member: 233546Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »

Does anyone else get green flashes on there loading screen ?

Yes and to be honest I have only noticed it since the game will no longer save I’m pretty sure it didn’t used to do it when I was loading before
  • obsidian_eclipseobsidian_eclipse uk Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230239Members
    Farak wrote: »
    I haven received a patch and my game still doesn't save.

I think there's some confusion. The last patch was the cuddle fish update, I don't think there's been one since then.
    SAVE BUG SOLUTION !

Ok I've said this before but I do think I've found a temporary solution.

It's a bit of a ball ache but it seems to work for me I already had a save file which I tried to save several times after the first save and it didn't work ,I uninstalled the game and re installed it , I kept the save file which was still there after reinstalling , I continued with that file and saved after playing for a bit and it worked the first time , I tried saving again just to see and it failed but he first one worked , so I uninstalled it and did the same thing again and it saved once again

So in short uninstall and reinstall before playing and it'll save once ,very long winded but it works , well it did for me
  • HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members

Calling someone a "knob" isn't really that nice soooo!!?
    SAVE BUG SOLUTION !

Ok I've said this before but I do think I've found a temporary solution.

It's a bit of a ball ache but it seems to work for me I already had a save file which I tried to save several times after the first save and it didn't work ,I uninstalled the game and re installed it , I kept the save file which was still there after reinstalling , I continued with that file and saved after playing for a bit and it worked the first time , I tried saving again just to see and it failed but he first one worked , so I uninstalled it and did the same thing again and it saved once again

So in short uninstall and reinstall before playing and it'll save once ,very long winded but it works , well it did for me

I'm sorrry guys but my solution has stopped working
    edited October 2017
    We're pretty sure we know what's causing it now, finally. A temp-fix is also possible you can try at home.

Those of you with the Save Game problem, please try setting your Xbox back 3 hours in time, in settings (change your time zone to -3 of whatever you are currently at). Then reboot the console, and launch Subnautica. Let us know if you can save after that.
    We're pretty sure we know what's causing it now, finally. A temp-fix is also possible you can try at home.

Those of you with the Save Game problem, please try setting your Xbox back 3 hours in time, in settings (change your time zone to -3 of whatever you are currently at). Then reboot the console, and launch Subnautica. Let us know if you can save after that.

Time bug, huh? Haven't seen one of those in a looooong time. o.O

Interested to see how this works out.

Will try to do today.