Mistakes in original strings

2»

Comments

• WillemVWillemV Dallas, TX Join Date: 2017-05-24 Member: 230737Members
    EncyDesc_CuteFish
    A small, grey-colored herbivore, the cuddle fish displays high levels of intelligence, curiosity and attachment.

and

- May have been bred or genetically altered to encourage this behaviour

British (grey and behaviour) vs American English (gray and behavior). The American English should read:

A small, gray-colored herbivore, the cuddle fish displays high levels of intelligence, curiosity and attachment.

and

- May have been bred or genetically altered to encourage this behavior

EncyDesc_Stalker
    This behaviour tends to put stress on its teeth

British (behaviour) vs American English (behavior). The American English should read:

This behavior tends to put stress on its teeth
  • CäptnShimanoCäptnShimano Düsseldorf, Germany Join Date: 2017-04-15 Member: 229655Members
    Tooltip_AirBladder
    Emergency flotation device. Chemical reaction produces lighter-than air gas for fast personal buoyancy.

Really lighther-than air gas? ;)
    Tooltip_AirBladder
    Emergency flotation device. Chemical reaction produces lighter-than air gas for fast personal buoyancy.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the issue. 8/
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Tooltip_AirBladder

uh... that's definitely correct english. Well the "lighter than air gas" part is. The word "floatation" seems to be missing an A. Also you spelled "lighter" wrong.

As for the original point of this thread, adding unnecessary U's to words is a british thing. It's not really wrong, just unnecessary.
    As for the original point of this thread, adding unnecessary U's to words is a british thing. It's not really wrong, just unnecessary.

Not the "original" point. This topic simply lists mistakes in the original entries.

If the accepted language for the game is American English, then British English spelling *is* wrong, and vice versa.

"Floatation" (which gets red underlined while I'm typing it) is a variant spelling of the more common "flotation" (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flotation).

Cheers! :)
  • DomVaxDomVax Join Date: 2017-09-07 Member: 232849Members
    Blood Crawler cannot be even translated, they have no entry.
    "Jumper" string should be removed, there is nothing like that in game. It was the original name for "Shuttlebug" I think.
    String "Pick up" should be different (or different layout, PICK UP should be on the top, and item name under it), because some languages have extensions.
    "Rotten, Dead, Decomposting" too. Because extensions. Feminine/Masculine gender.
    DomVax wrote: »
    String "Pick up" should be different (or different layout, PICK UP should be on the top, and item name under it), because some languages have extensions.
    "Rotten, Dead, Decomposting" too. Because extensions. Feminine/Masculine gender.

To my knowledge the string has been changed to Pick Up {0}{1}, so that there is a bit more freedom in how to incorporate the verb.

In Dutch you can say "Pick {item} up" or "{item} pick-up", but not "Pick up {item}". So having "pick up" on top and the item under it will not work. I'm sure that across the languages all kinds of variations are possible, but not all variations work.

Not all languages have gender, or consistently applied gender. Again, in Dutch gender used to be very ingrained, but major changes well over century ago got rid of cases and gender specifics. Likewise, some languages have a formal address and others do not.

I'm not sure whether it will be possible to accommodate all grammar and idiom particular to every language. I'm pretty impressed with what has been accomplished thus far.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bumpity bump. Post your erroneous English strings in here. GO TEAM GRAMMAR!
  • Teraman64Teraman64 Japan Join Date: 2017-10-30 Member: 233776Members
    TerrainSystemInformationText
    However, the upgrade is not perfect. Depending on specific circumstances, it is possible that gaps could open up in terrain, or systems fail to function perfectly. In addition, the ugprade does not include all the new terrain data from the rest of the world.

“ugprade”is misspelling. should be “upgrade”
  • ChrisFoChrisFo Germany/Saxony Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214728Members
    edited November 2017
  • CäptnShimanoCäptnShimano Düsseldorf, Germany Join Date: 2017-04-15 Member: 229655Members
    edited November 2017
    Spinefish and Blighter have a databank entry, but are only scannable for infections.
    EncyDesc_ShellGrass
    While it shares a closes genetic similarity with blood grass, this species has evolved to house its root system in rigid, horn-shaped enclosures.

It should be a close genetic similarity, shouldn't it?
    Tooltip_Silicone
    Synthetic, silicon-based rubber.

Should be: Synthetic, silicone-based rubber.
    Tooltip_Silicone
    Synthetic, silicon-based rubber.

Should be: Synthetic, silicone-based rubber.

It is actually correct.

"Silicones consist of an inorganic silicon-oxygen backbone chain with organic side groups attached to the silicon atoms." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone)

Silicone ((C6H5)2SiO) is silicon(Si)-based rubber.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    WillemV wrote: »
    EncyDesc_JellyPDARoom1Locker
    And she needs Bart and I to do it.

Should be: And she needs Bart and me to do it.

Edit: Since @Soul_Rider is disagreeing with this: To my knowledge "Bart and me" are objects of a verb, not subjects of a verb joined, and therefore "I" cannot be used. A simple test is to leave Bart out of the picture: "And she needs I to do it."

If you have a more in-depth understanding of the grammar involved, please share. I am always eager to learn. Thanks! :)

My 2p: I think we need to see the entire string in context here to know which is correct.
    Foxy wrote: »
    My 2p: I think we need to see the entire string in context here to know which is correct.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, grammar wise, but here it is:

"You know what Maida told me today? She wants to build a habitat 500m below sea level, more than a kilometer north-east of here. And she needs Bart and I to do it. She's got it into her head that she can save us if she just acts recklessly enough. But I've hauled starwhals to Neptune. Plasteel to the Federation... this family operates nine different mining colonies across the Ariadne Arm. Maida thinks she's better suited to lead? Her contract still says otherwise.

But... I just cannot damn tell whether it's the stupidest idea I ever heard, or my only hope. I turned 80 years old last week. I thought I had another 80 in me, but marooned on this planet there's no swapping out my liver when the old one fails. Here, I'm mortal. And Maida is useful.

So it's my responsibility to make a decision. Return to the island and hope whatever knocked the Degasi out of the sky won't do the same to the rescue ship, or take us deeper in search of answers. And all the while be hoping old age gets me before the seamonsters do.

I'll give Maida just one thing. She was right about these caves. There's enough lithium here to fabricate a hundred tons of plasteel. Enough for a damn FLEET of Cyclops submarines. There was nothing anyone could have done to avoid crashing here, but I was right to order the detour. If we get off this planet they'll be talking about the Torgal Corp. share price on the other side of the Federation."

So far, every grammar source I have consulted indicates that "Bart and me" is the correct form, as "Bart and me" are objects of the verb, not subjects.

Now, the issue may be between spoken and written language.

"...it may be acceptable in spoken English, but most traditional grammarians and English teachers will disapprove. Don’t use it in writing." (http://www.learnersdictionary.com/qa/when-to-use-i-and-when-to-use-me)

If you are specifically mimicking spoken language then you could possibly leave it as is. I have, however, not noticed this anywhere else in the game (with some of Maida's expressions as the only exceptions), so I still recommend the change. Translators will obviously use whatever the correct grammatical form is for their language.

Cheers!
    EncyDesc_HangingStinger
    [...] triggering an electromagentic charge [...]

Should be: electromagnetic charge
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks everyone! The fixes are now in (CS#56603) and the priority on the missing strings card https://trello.com/c/xFGMwBDT/2309-30991-rockgrubs-spinefish-blind-biters-blood-kelp-cave-crawlers-and-skyrays-still-not-scanable has been bumped.
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Ping me when you find anything else.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    WillemV wrote: »
    Foxy wrote: »

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, grammar wise, but here it is:

"You know what Maida told me today? She wants to build a habitat 500m below sea level, more than a kilometer north-east of here. And she needs Bart and I to do it. She's got it into her head that she can save us if she just acts recklessly enough. But I've hauled starwhals to Neptune. Plasteel to the Federation... this family operates nine different mining colonies across the Ariadne Arm. Maida thinks she's better suited to lead? Her contract still says otherwise.

But... I just cannot damn tell whether it's the stupidest idea I ever heard, or my only hope. I turned 80 years old last week. I thought I had another 80 in me, but marooned on this planet there's no swapping out my liver when the old one fails. Here, I'm mortal. And Maida is useful.

So it's my responsibility to make a decision. Return to the island and hope whatever knocked the Degasi out of the sky won't do the same to the rescue ship, or take us deeper in search of answers. And all the while be hoping old age gets me before the seamonsters do.

I'll give Maida just one thing. She was right about these caves. There's enough lithium here to fabricate a hundred tons of plasteel. Enough for a damn FLEET of Cyclops submarines. There was nothing anyone could have done to avoid crashing here, but I was right to order the detour. If we get off this planet they'll be talking about the Torgal Corp. share price on the other side of the Federation."

So far, every grammar source I have consulted indicates that "Bart and me" is the correct form, as "Bart and me" are objects of the verb, not subjects.

Now, the issue may be between spoken and written language.

"...it may be acceptable in spoken English, but most traditional grammarians and English teachers will disapprove. Don’t use it in writing." (http://www.learnersdictionary.com/qa/when-to-use-i-and-when-to-use-me)

If you are specifically mimicking spoken language then you could possibly leave it as is. I have, however, not noticed this anywhere else in the game (with some of Maida's expressions as the only exceptions), so I still recommend the change. Translators will obviously use whatever the correct grammatical form is for their language.

Cheers!

That's fair enough. Does this mean my friends and I have to stop watching one of the greatest films of all time?

• ChrisFoChrisFo Germany/Saxony Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214728Members
    edited December 2017
    IMG_20171212_170952.png
    Shouldnt this be targeted? Or is this intentional?
  • KizorKizor noitacoL Join Date: 2017-07-04 Member: 231590Members
    EncyDesc_Uraninite has "radioactvie".
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    We now have a new entry on the translation website dedicated for fixes to the original English. Select "English (community)" from the dropdown menu to access it. Just put the fixes in there and make sure to upvote them and we'll see them.