[Bug] Life Pod 5 drifting to and fro [52959]

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
edited September 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I was gathering titanium at the back of the Aurora and was heading back to my base I'd built directly below Life Pod 5. I thought the distance was much further than I remembered. When I finally reached Life Pod 5, my base was nowhere near because Life Pod 5 had drifted maybe 500 meters away. Here is where it gets really interesting:

I loaded up my base and then made a beacon so I wouldn't lose my base again and have to lose progress when I couldn't find my base after gathering titanium. I was curious how much the distance between my base and the Life Pod would increase. So, I did this:

1. Drove my Seamoth to Life Pod 5.
2. Climbed into and onto the top of Life Pod 5 to observe the distance.
3. Distance started *DECREASING* while I was standing on Life Pod 5:

133m
132m
131m
125m

I guess I'll go AFK for a couple of minutes and see if Life Pod 5 drifts all the way back to the base.

I didn't realize the Life Pods were sentient and get lonely. If you don't spend enough time in the Life Pod--maybe because you built a fabricator in your base, the LIfe Pod gets lonely and drifts off. It looks like you have to spend enough time in the Life Pod, or it will drift away looking for someone to spend time with it. :)

Edit1: Distance is now down to 36m. Just another minute or two of AFK. :)

Edit2: Distance stopped at 20m.

Ug! Now I have to swim more than 100 meters back to my Seamoth. LOL. :)

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    A week or so ago, when you first exited the LP5 those fish you see out the bottom would get stuck and your lifepod would swim away with them. I was only able to catch it when it got stuck in a cave.

This sounds like something different, though. Very odd.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017
    Just loaded my save game. Life Pod 5 is again some 600 meters from its start location. But it is drifting back to its normal start location at a rate of 1 meter every couple of seconds. Very odd.
  • dookiejonesdookiejones Join Date: 2017-09-02 Member: 232778Members
    Mine was moving 0.2... m/s, I guess, whatever the speed is listed as in the F1 debug menu. It went south-westish a pretty long way before I noticed it had moved. I am not sure where I was exactly but I could not see the bottom and there was a big ass baddy, I was out of gogo juice for the seaglide. I am going to try to give as much detail as possible, who knows what will help.

The day the Aurora explodes. I am out gathering copper and mushrooms for batteries with the intention of using the seaglide to explore near the Aurora for fragments and titanium after the explosion as I had not found the cutter yet. I fill my inventory, copper and such, then head back to the pod to make batteries and food. In my pod on the floor there are 2 floating containers sitting on the floor, same side as the fabricator but on the other side of the ladder. My pod is almost out of power from crafting and I get the countdown notice so I save and go up top to watch. I thought it might kill me a little more than it did but otherwise I am good with the explosion. I jump into water to get the 1 more mushroom I need for batteries and am shortly back inside the pod. I begin crafting the battery, water and, food. I am interrupted mid way through the second or third thing, booted out of the menu with my mouse cursor still unlocked, a bit of wiggling happens and I notice that I am now standing on top of my floating container. Both of them had moved somehow to be on top of the hatch at the bottom of the pod. This does not hurt my feelings so I leave it alone for now and head out to explore near the Aurora. Fast forward to a full circle around the Aurora later and I am headed back to the pod, pockets loaded with loot. I get in and go to crafting right away, ready to start building a base now so I need that titanium. I hop out of the pod to start building and as I am leaving I remember the floating containers had moved but I did not remember seeing them on my out so I went back in to check. They are gone, WTF. Save and reload and they are still gone, not much in them but it was all my extra batteries. I make a sad face and continue on my way. I went over to a spot, maybe 30 meters from the pod, that was a bit of a cliff leading to the red grass and built the first part of what was to be a small base until I could get the Aurora looted and move deeper. Made a few trips back and forth to the pod and out looking for quartz. As I was starting to move my stuff into the base I built I went outside to drop some junk/rotten items, this is when I noticed an odd shadow on the ground and looked around a bit to find my floating containers I thought I had lost, that's odd must have warped though the walls I thought. Now that I had those back I did not need to farm for more batteries so I went out looking for wrecks, I needed that cutter. After 2 in game days and most of my batteries were dead I finally found all the pieces and many more so I start heading back to my pod. I did not have beacons before I left on this trip so I just went to the pod marker, thinking damn they have really made this map bigger I'm 2k+ out. I just made use of my hold W hotkey and made the trip on the surface. Just so happens that my path took me directly up to the ladder so I went in the top. I built the laser cutter and was planning to go down to my base to drop off loot, with my next stop being the Aurora. Out the bottom I go and I am greeted with blackness, WTF is the terrain not loading? Memory leak? Back in the pod, save, restart game. Still blackness below me, I go to the surface, don't remember being that far off the back of the Aurora. Maybe if I swim over I will see my base. Nope, eaten by some big ass white and red thing, on permadeath mode...
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    edited September 2017
    Started a new game this afternoon (Experimental 52987). Played for about half an hour or so. Kept an eye on the life pod but it did not drift or run off on its own.

Dunno if that bug has been fixed or if some other conditions are needed, but there it is.
    edited September 2017
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    Started a new game this afternoon (Experimental 52987). Played for about half an hour or so. Kept an eye on the life pod but it did not drift or run off on its own.

Dunno if that bug has been fixed or if some other conditions are needed, but there it is.

This bug has always been one that some people observed but not others.
    Loaded my game today, and Life Pod 5 is roughly 1200 meters from its start location. It is almost as if the Life Pod *punishes* me for staying away from the game too long. One day, if I take a full week away from the game, I wouldn't be surprised to load my game and find the Life Pod is either in the VOID or one one of the moons. :)
  • DraydanDraydan Canada Join Date: 2017-10-06 Member: 233422Members
    I've had one save that i deleted with this happening , the lifepod ended up drifting over to the void
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    If you have a save where when loaded the lifepod is actively drifting away from where it should be or you can repeatably cause it to start drifting, please post it and I'll take a look. I don't need a save where the lifepod has already drifted away and is now drifting back, though (it's coded to try to return home). It'd be too late by then to catch whatever's causing this.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
  • SkybreakerSkybreaker Canada Join Date: 2017-10-09 Member: 233468Members
    Nope, eaten by some big ass white and red thing, on permadeath mode...

Same thing happened here... I used my seaglide to get back to the lifepod, and then jumped on top of it to read the PDA, then suddenly I was eaten by what I'm assuming was a ghost leviathan.