Low-Key Update 79 Release - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageLow-Key Update 79 Release - Subnautica

We’re being sneaky and pushing a low-key update to Steam today. There are no new features in this update. Update 79 contains only bug-fixes, performance improvements, and balance changes. The...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2017
    54545 | /main | 2017-09-29 05:29:26 | Scott Thunelius | Alternate Sunbeam event will play if the gun is disabled prior to their arrival

It's nice to see they're working on possible sequence-breaks for the game. So we have the standard event if the Sunbeam shows up normally, then the voice log if the player is out of range when they arrive, and now if the player is cured of Carar and the gun is disabled. That's good to hear!

Maybe it's just me, but I hope when 1.0 launches they make it so any previous savefiles aren't compatible with the 1.0 version. I'm not trying to be sadistic here, but I personally feel a game saved at the current latest possible point would make the experience trivial. At present the experimental version can have the player cured, the defense array disabled, rocket blueprints downloaded, and most of the materials on hand. They would just need to get the Ion Cube Matrix made, build the rocket and blast off - the game completed in less than five minutes after 1.0 launches. :(

I dunno... it just feels like such a 'head start' would take away from the whole experience.

54551 | /main | 2017-09-29 10:03:38 | Simon Chylinski | can hear rabbit ray now

The Rabbit Ray was supposed to have sounds assigned to it? I never knew that. That's awesome! :smiley: It's like the cooing sound of the Garryfish or the chirping sound of the Peeper - the proper sounds can make all the difference for the player experience in this wonderful game.

Now if they could just do something with the Shuttlebug before launch. :wink:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    54551 | /main | 2017-09-29 10:03:38 | Simon Chylinski | can hear rabbit ray now

The Rabbit Ray was supposed to have sounds assigned to it? I never knew that. That's awesome! :smiley: It's like the cooing sound of the Garryfish or the chirping sound of the Peeper - the proper sounds can make all the difference for the player experience in this wonderful game.

Now if they could just do something with the Shuttlebug before launch. :wink:

Exactly and I do believe Subnautica really has a way with sound. It is one of the best games out there where atmosphere and sounds are concerned.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    I love some of these notes. :)
    * Fixed skydiving reefbacks in grassy plateaus. (You finally gave them parachutes?)
    * Updated blame list. (Now we know who to blame for inventing bleeders)
    * touched the file (MAAAHHHMMM! HE TOUCHED ME!)

Looking forward to seeing what the optimization and tweaking does. I'm a little unsure about some of the recipes still, but I understand they're still being tweaked, so fingers crossed that a good balance is found!
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members

Maybe it's just me, but I hope when 1.0 launches they make it so any previous savefiles aren't compatible with the 1.0 version. I'm not trying to be sadistic here, but I personally feel a game saved at the current latest possible point would make the experience trivial. At present the experimental version can have the player cured, the defense array disabled, rocket blueprints downloaded, and most of the materials on hand. They would just need to get the Ion Cube Matrix made, build the rocket and blast off - the game completed in less than five minutes after 1.0 launches. :(

No. That makes no sense. I've built a lot of stuff in my game. I've replayed the game several times. Even dabbed in the experimental mode. Since now the game is delayed. I want to go back to my older save. I accomplished a lot. Who cares if it's just 5 mins. I already have experienced the game. That's not gonna change. Why would I want to do it again, by force? By the time 1.0 roles out. I've replayed the game 6 times. I want to complete the end, than resume the game. I want to open the captains door and gain that cool poster and model legitimately. Not start from scratch.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

No. That makes no sense. I've built a lot of stuff in my game. I've replayed the game several times. Even dabbed in the experimental mode. Since now the game is delayed. I want to go back to my older save. I accomplished a lot. Who cares if it's just 5 mins. I already have experienced the game. That's not gonna change. Why would I want to do it again, by force? By the time 1.0 roles out. I've replayed the game 6 times. I want to complete the end, than resume the game. I want to open the captains door and gain that cool poster and model legitimately. Not start from scratch.

I understand what you're saying and i hear you but what he's trying to say is that the game is changing from early game to even endgame so everything has changed and will keep changing
    You don't want to miss on certain cool stuff or sequences or animations or effects or anything else I think you might have got my point but other than that I don't think that the saves them selves will be playable by 1.0 as for the changes, the addition to the rocket, not to mention what odd glitchs might break your game or the updates them selves will damage your save file but maybe I'm wrong

And let's just hope iam
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017
    I just started a new game on STABLE with this "Low Key" patch...

Well..., we went from Crashfish all over the place, to I'm now having to search diligently to find ANY!

You've certainly made the Crashfish & Crystals "Low Key"!!

< grumble..., grumble..., grumble... >
    :#

Yeah...
    ... OK ...
    I've been through (4) (5) 6 different cave systems over the last (15) (20) 50 minutes and have only come across 1 (ONE) 2 (TWO)
    Crashfish...

For the most part, I like the changes that You have made to the 'Recipes' and that we have to try a bit harder to find things ...
    But methinks perhaps that You may have toned it down a tad too much!!!
    :o

Oh boy another annoying discovery...
    You've taken away the Double-Click Method of Changing O2 Tanks.
    One has to actually "swap" them out now.

I know it's for the 'Realism' factor, but it's still annoying.

Scratch that thought, all ya have to do is left click once on the tank in yer inventory and they do Switch.

:p
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Yeah...
    ... OK ...
    I've been through (4) 5 different cave systems over the last (15) 20 minutes and have only come across 1 (ONE) Crashfish...

Did you take a very careful look at the walls and such? I know that it was a big issue for a while that crashfish were being spawned imbedded into the walls. It may be happening again.
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    really amazed of the positive vibes Subnautica transmittes with this powerful performance upgrade !
    Keep it up UWE !
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    @Hulkie2345 I always say this, but do not get attached to anything you do in an early-access game. Personally, I would be /extremely/ surprised if they made early-access saved games backwards-compatible with the full release version of the game. Seriously, I would expect to have to do this several times before we even get to launch, because the changes will render the old versions of our games incompatible.

So yeah, expect to lose everything and have to start over. HOWEVER, you'll be experiencing the game in a way you haven't gotten to before, with full performance optimization, assets polished to a high gleam, and features they were holding back for 1.0. I'll have played the game through far more than 6 times by then and I'm still looking forward to it. :D
  • leviathancainleviathancain lancaster Pa Join Date: 2017-08-20 Member: 232501Members
    i don't mind starting over. for me a lot of the fun of the game is finding, building from the first tank to the prawn suit, and finally making your way to the sea emperor never gets old for me. so if my save is not compatible oh well it won't bother me, but i understand why some people would be upset.
    edited October 2017
    Kurasu wrote: »

Yeah...
    ... OK ...
    I've been through (4) 5 different cave systems over the last (15) 20 minutes and have only come across 1 (ONE) Crashfish...

Did you take a very careful look at the walls and such? I know that it was a big issue for a while that crashfish were being spawned imbedded into the walls. It may be happening again.

Heh...

I've been driving through every cave I come across with my Seaglide now and have still only found 3 of them.

They even took away the two that were hiding under the large piece of wreckage at the edge of the shallows.

ouy!
    :#

Well, here's another interesting tidbit from this patch...

Each time I restart the game and I'm in Lifepod #5 facing the "Already Repaired Wall Panel"...

It does a slow, sexy dance for me..., going through the repairing process in slo-mo.

It's kinda titillating, in a Robo-Mechanical way.
    If I were Bender, I think I'd be turned on.

< chuckle >
    B)

Found a bunch of Crystals...
    Look in both of the Volcanic Heat Vents at the edges of the Shallows. There's a whole bunch in there.
    B)
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Kurasu wrote: »
    I love some of these notes. :)
    * Fixed skydiving reefbacks in grassy plateaus. (You finally gave them parachutes?)
    * Updated blame list. (Now we know who to blame for inventing bleeders)
    * touched the file (MAAAHHHMMM! HE TOUCHED ME!)

Looking forward to seeing what the optimization and tweaking does. I'm a little unsure about some of the recipes still, but I understand they're still being tweaked, so fingers crossed that a good balance is found!

I feel the heat pumpin' in my veins/next to you/we can touch the file
    And when the fever takes ahold/next to you/we can touch the file
    I see myself goin' up in flames/next to you/we can touch the file...
    edited October 2017
    Lifepod #17 has nothing in or around it.
    Aren't they all supposed to have a Blueprint Box next to or inside them?

Can't pick up the Two Flares in Lifepod #6's storage compartment.
  • NutrynionNutrynion Seattle, WA Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214541Members
    It seems there were more than just low-key changes. Such as the recipes for all the items have changed. I vote that warrants some form of correspondence to the players. I mean now we have to use titanium AND lead to build the base platforms. Alongside many other new requirements. Grrrr
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    As long as those save files are still playable, I don't care if they're necessarily 1.0-compatible. I constructed an eleven-story windowed glass aquarium in Survival so that I could fill it with Jellyrays in one save; I'd hate for that to just go *poof*. (The fact that I could recreate it in Creative post-launch is beside the point.)
  • Sub_Pilot13Sub_Pilot13 United States Join Date: 2017-09-28 Member: 233282Members
    I really love Subnautica and even since I first got it back in June, the game has made a ton of progress, and the nature in the game itself is stunning. Subnautica is my all-time favorite and I would love to see the game grow even more. Praise for Subnautica!
  • Mordecai WalfishMordecai Walfish Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164803Members
    The jarring circle-strafing frame judder when on dry land has been fixed. Noticed this immediately when loading up into hardcore mode and circling around the lifepod ladder at the beginning. Awesome.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    @Hulkie2345 I always say this, but do not get attached to anything you do in an early-access game. Personally, I would be /extremely/ surprised if they made early-access saved games backwards-compatible with the full release version of the game. Seriously, I would expect to have to do this several times before we even get to launch, because the changes will render the old versions of our games incompatible.

So yeah, expect to lose everything and have to start over. HOWEVER, you'll be experiencing the game in a way you haven't gotten to before, with full performance optimization, assets polished to a high gleam, and features they were holding back for 1.0. I'll have played the game through far more than 6 times by then and I'm still looking forward to it. :D

Sorry, don't care about it being a early access game. If the save files don't get transferred over. I'm just gonna enable cheats and put everything back to the state I had it at.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    Sorry, don't care about it being a early access game. If the save files don't get transferred over. I'm just gonna enable cheats and put everything back to the state I had it at.

Sounds like a plan. :D
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Well, here's another interesting tidbit from this patch...

Each time I restart the game and I'm in Lifepod #5 facing the "Already Repaired Wall Panel"...

It does a slow, sexy dance for me..., going through the repairing process in slo-mo.

It's kinda titillating, in a Robo-Mechanical way.
    If I were Bender, I think I'd be turned on.

Actually, I've been treated to that little weirdness for the last five updates...maybe more. Like the Seamoth re-docking every time I change anything in the base, I just wrote it off.

Gotta say...not exactly happy with this update. Not even in the same area code as happy.
    I know this is for the *next* fixes/patches, but:
    * Fixed predators being attracted to docked vehicles

OH DEAR JEBUS THANK YOU!
    So where are You hiding the Magnetite now UWE?

I've been to the Floating Island & the BigAssGun Isle.

No luck.

:/
    Re: Magnetite: I answered this in another thread, but I'll post it here in case people aren't reading both of these.

Jellyshroom caves, mostly, but the Sparse Reef has a fair amount and there are parts that are shallow enough to reach with a Seamoth equipped with the basic pressure compensator. It does show up on the western side of Gun Island, but it's not terribly common.
  • Captn_MikroCaptn_Mikro Michigan Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223287Members
    edited October 2017
    what low key update feedback tool broke and nothhing mentioned here in game just got tag teamed by warper and crabquid ttook out my full loaded seamoth ( confused ) oh wait this was a steam update I'm on xbox What happen to Cuddles and now are bug fixes and performance update ?

• BugglesMLBugglesML Germany Join Date: 2017-10-07 Member: 233430Members
    Is it just me or is it no longer possible to smash marblemelons for seeds now?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    BugglesML wrote: »

What version of the game are you playing?
    edited October 2017
    BugglesML wrote: »

Thread: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152993/bug-marblemelon-not-cutable-certain-condition-not-grabable-oct-2017-54762

So just watch for the next update; sounds like they'll be doing 'spit and polish' bugfixes more frequently, so it shouldn't be too long. :)
  • catchifucancatchifucan Australia Join Date: 2017-10-01 Member: 233344Members
    Any ideas when they are going to do the same fixes on Xbox because I'm loving the game so far but can't save properly still.
    Hope the fix it soon I want to actually progress through the game
    Xbox will have to wait for Them to get it fixed on PC Stable, then They have to send it to MS to be evaluated, then maybe, Xbox will get it.

I'd say End of November to Mid December.

< shrug >