Share your ideas for new alien upgrades

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited October 2017 in NS2 General Discussion
Each hive had three upgrade choices right now. It used to be only two choices. What if there were more than three upgrade choices per hive? What would those be?

I am not saying there should be more than three upgrades per hive. The purpose of this thread is to share ideas for other cool upgrade ideas. I am curious if anyone can think of any new upgrades better than the ones we have.

EDIT: THIS IS A FUN THREAD ABOUT COOL IDEA'S, NOT ACTUALLY PUTTING THINGS INTO THE GAME.

Comments

• moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2017
    Dowse - all damaged marine structures and their remaining health are shown on hivesight and minimap. (Shade hive)

Fight or flight - when the player has 50% or less health remaining, they receive 1.25x the effect of both celerity and adrenaline. (Shift hive)

Chemosynthesis - all resource nodes not occupied by the other team heal you at the rate of crags. (Crag hive)
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Crag - Bunker - An armor bonus (larger than with Carapace) when crouching.
    Shift - Dodge - a short range teleport while running backwards or run strafing (i.e. whenever you're running in any direction except forward).
    Shade - Parabite - Any damaging attack final
    (including AoE attacks) parasites its target(s).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Gorge still has that crouch animation where her armor plates pop up, Gorge boneshield?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    • Shield - 2/3rds damage from bullets originating within a small radius of your crosshair. Raises the skill ceiling of crag upgrades to let players partially counter attacks. (Crag hive)
    • Thread - Color coded paths on the ground lead to every enemy player and structure. The colors indicate whether it leads to a player or structure, as well as its health. This helps prevent ninja gates/players without revealing them entirely due to the ambiguity of the paths, and helps with finding back-res to bite. (Shade hive)
    • Vault - Increases jump height and velocity to be over the head of a standing marine. (Shift hive)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Shade - Doppelganger - The first attack you receive from a player spawns a hallucination of yourself that lasts for only 3 seconds, and has a cooldown of 40 seconds.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited October 2017
    I second a nomination for Gorge boneshield.. That would be an epic ability (as long as it blocked 100% of damage for a short duration, none of this useless "80% of damage" nonsense)

Disclaimer: I suck at naming things, so these could probably all use better names. lol

Sabertooth - Reduced hp (or armor) with increased bite range

Venom - Bites inflict poison... negative % to movement speed for X seconds

Frenzy - Drains hp to use attacks/skills when energy is gone. (can cause death! only for emergency use!)

On the flip side some purchasable items you can get from the armory would be a nice addition (of course after they're researched)

IR goggles - Passive ability reveals cloaked aliens/structures at the cost of reduced armor (to make room for a battery pack) 1-3 res

Motion tracker - A small mine-like device you can drop that will alert you with a beep when it detects alien movement (1 max per marine, no mimimap spotting!) 2 res

Jump jets - Lets marines have an extra jump while airborne (useful for making it into vents/over gorge walls) reduced sprinting speed (or distance) 4-6 res

Might take a bit of balancing work to ensure none of it was OP.. but stuff like this would inject some fun into the game.

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2017
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Frenzy - Drains hp to use attacks/skills when energy is gone. (can cause death! only for emergency use!)

Heh. I wrote about this one internally a long time ago. I called it 'Pact'. I've always been a black mana Planeswalker at heart.

Shroud [Shade] - A chance to activate at low health for 3 or more seconds. Places the player into a mode where bullets travel through you for 2 seconds, where you cannot attack or be attacked. Complete with Blinking's cool negative light and smoke effect. Use it to run from a fight or even (maybe) gain distance on your opponent.

Heartburn [Crag] - Smaller, 2 second timed Xenocide on death.
    Man, this thread needs something like google moderator to let people add new ideas and vote on the existing ones. Wish that still existed.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    moultano wrote: »
    Man, this thread needs something like google moderator to let people add new ideas and vote on the existing ones. Wish that still existed.

There are services that do that still. That is not my purpose here. Voting would imply that there is a purpose in that something will be done with these ideas. I made this thread as a fun thing, without a purpose. My purpose is that there is no purpose. This was intended to be a fun exercise. I want to see what cool ideas people have.

For example, vault sounds incredibly fun. I also think it might look hilarious in game, but still fun. I think everyone here has put forward some cool ideas.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Meh, I would rather replace than add. We wouldn't want feature creep and it would be easier to balance.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    coolitic wrote: »
    Meh, I would rather replace than add. We wouldn't want feature creep and it would be easier to balance.

There is indeed that danger of, just adding stuff for the sake of... Which is kinda a balancing war of attrition waiting to happen, perhaps ending up with the best options left over or alternatively a total annihilation of player base manpower :tongue:
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2017
    coolitic wrote: »

Did you just read the title and then respond? This thread is not actually about adding anything, or replacing.

If I said replace instead of add, many people would try to think of ideas that had similar functions. Since I said new upgrades, it encourages people to think outside the box.

THIS IS A FUN THREAD ABOUT COOL IDEA'S, NOT ACTUALLY PUTTING THINGS INTO THE GAME.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    moultano wrote: »

20% time, buddy?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Will the things posted here get implemented in the main game?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

I'm pretty sure this is brainstorming for the upcoming patches. I 100% expect to see some of these ingame soon.

You got me. UWE is planning to double the amount of upgrades. There will be six upgrades per hive.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited October 2017
    Maybe some synergy upgrades would be neat.

Shift - Leader of the pack - applies a slightly weaker form of celerity to yourself and aliens behind you. Does not affect aliens that already have celerity.
    Crag - Good Patient - Makes gorge's healspray on you more effective. If it turns out to be overpowered, taking slightly more damage in return could be an interesting drawback. (e.g. you get healed 20% more, but take 5% more damage)
    Shade - Doppelgänger* - if the commander creates hallucinations from you, 1/2 additional hallucinations of your lifeform are created (1-2/3 veils)

Last one probably wouldn't see much use, as phantom and aura are super powerful.

* Stealing your name, @IronHorse
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Chitin Hooks [Shift] - Marines that come into direct contact with an aliens model have a small movement slowing effect applied to them (similar to hitting a web, maybe not as strong). As soon as the models lose contact the slowing effect is removed, also increases mobility (strafe control / speed) on vertical surfaces or ceilings NOT FLOORS for skulks only.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Maybe some synergy upgrades would be neat.

Shift - Leader of the pack - applies a slightly weaker form of celerity to yourself and aliens behind you. Does not affect aliens that already have celerity.
    Crag - Good Patient - Makes gorge's healspray on you more effective. If it turns out to be overpowered, taking slightly more damage in return could be an interesting drawback. (e.g. you get healed 20% more, but take 5% more damage)
    Shade - Doppelgänger* - if the commander creates hallucinations from you, 1/2 additional hallucinations of your lifeform are created (1-2/3 veils)

Last one probably wouldn't see much use, as phantom and aura are super powerful.

* Stealing your name, @IronHorse

I despise lifeform-based synergy upgrades with a passion. That stuff should be left to the khamm.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Posting from phone, so lazy... not new idea per se:

Bring back primal scream. See related thread: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131266/primal-roar
    edited October 2017
    This brings back a few ideas:

EXO melee slap, but aside from that marine bit...

Weldable/breakable doors
    Knock over turrets (like that underground level in HL2 with that antlion turret defense)

Mostly not suited for NS2, but still cool...

I'm in the wrong thread aren't I...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2017
    Are we talking about UPGRADES, or ABILITIES?

If we're throwing ability discussion into the mix, I'd love to have a good replacement for fade stab, something useful that isn't just "here's a slightly different way to jab marines with your sharp pointy things".

I propose "Shadow Twin". You activate the ability as fade. Suddenly, you're having an out of body experience! You still look like a fade, move like a fade, and attack like a fade, but you can see your body where you were standing a moment ago. This is you recording your "shadow twin". You can move, attack, and taunt, do whatever you can normally as a fade -- but marines cannot see you, you don't collide with them, and you cannot damage them. After a short amount of time, you get sucked back into your old body, and your clone appears in front of you, just as you were a moment ago, except now you're controlling the real fade. Your "shadow twin" is now materialized and following the recording you just made a few moments ago. Marines can see it, shoot it, and kill it, just like a hallucination. So you could use this fade to enter the room, get the marines' attention, and then enter a moment later behind it to do the REAL damage. (If you've played Talos Principle, you kind of know what I'm talking about here, re: the recorder puzzles)

Anyways, just an idea I've had for a while. What do you guys think?
    edited October 2017
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

If we're throwing ability discussion into the mix, I'd love to have a good replacement for fade stab, something useful that isn't just "here's a slightly different way to jab marines with your sharp pointy things".

I propose "Shadow Twin". You activate the ability as fade. Suddenly, you're having an out of body experience! You still look like a fade, move like a fade, and attack like a fade, but you can see your body where you were standing a moment ago. This is you recording your "shadow twin". You can move, attack, and taunt, do whatever you can normally as a fade -- but marines cannot see you, you don't collide with them, and you cannot damage them. After a short amount of time, you get sucked back into your old body, and your clone appears in front of you, just as you were a moment ago, except now you're controlling the real fade. Your "shadow twin" is now materialized and following the recording you just made a few moments ago. Marines can see it, shoot it, and kill it, just like a hallucination. So you could use this fade to enter the room, get the marines' attention, and then enter a moment later behind it to do the REAL damage. (If you've played Talos Principle, you kind of know what I'm talking about here, re: the recorder puzzles)

Anyways, just an idea I've had for a while. What do you guys think?

Cool idea, but will make good fade players even more dominant in pubs. It's hard to kill them as is.

edit: I mean you're basically giving them completely free, zero risk scouting. It would make setting traps a lot harder.
    No one mentioned abilities but you :tongue:
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nordic wrote: »

Someone above mentioned primal scream, and kouji was talking about exo attacks, so...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017

Someone above mentioned primal scream, and kouji was talking about exo attacks, so...

Obviously, we want Primal Scream as an Upgrade, not an ability... So everyone can do it :D
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2017
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

Obviously, we want Primal Scream as an Upgrade, not an ability... So everyone can do it :D
    Traits should be limited to passive abilities. The game is not designed in mind for a bind for this.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I put a full on laughing face...

This was designed to indicate the level of seriousness in the comment...

I guess I better chalk it up as *another* design failure...

Note To Self: *Explicitly detail when you are having a laugh on the internet, laughing icons are not enough*
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I put a full on laughing face...

This was designed to indicate the level of seriousness in the comment...

I guess I better chalk it up as *another* design failure...

Note To Self: *Explicitly detail when you are having a laugh on the internet, laughing icons are not enough*

Well

:D

Could mean one of two things:

- Don't take me serious here -> the old school J/K is better IMHO and of course the tongue in cheek smiley :tongue:
    - What I said seems pretty neat to me

That is kinda how I see them smileys 26.gif