[Bug] Can't build windows in Multi Purpose Room [54618]

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
Steps to Reproduce:

1. Build a multi purpose room
2. Try to build a window from the outside or inside.
3. It shows a red outline and will not let me build a window

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    edited October 2017
    Experimental build 54618:

Partially confirmed:
    I'm not able to build a window from the inside of the MPR, but I can from the outside.

Trying to build from the inside shows me a green outline, but when I press the button to start building, nothing happens. I don't even get a stuck outline that's stuck there, like it just cancelled the build.*

From the outside, it'll give me the green outline, then the blue outline when I start building, but it's got the glitch where it'll only build if I carefully aim for the edge of the window.

Also, I cannot deconstruct the window from the inside or outside. I hadn't meant to leave that MPR there but I guess I'm stuck with it for now, lol.

*Just noticed that the blue holographic outlines existed on the outside of the MPR and I was able to finish building the windows from there.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    That's a good observation @elfcrisis. I didn't see the blue outline. So, if you are standing far away, it doesn't finish the window. Instead, it puts that blue outline. Then, you have to put your nose on the window to finish it.

If you don't finish that first window, then it won't let you even start a new window until the previous one is done.

As you said, you can't build windows at all from the inside, and once built, you can't deconstruct.

Thanks again for the great find! It's still broken. Just slightly less broken. :)

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    garath wrote: »

Excellent. I think some people have had the same problems with reinforcement panels. Probably the same bug.
    edited October 2017
    The problem for reinforced panels is worse. I tried for a few minutes to find the magical place I needed to click to finish it from the outside but never found it. I'm glad I noticed this issue as my bases make HEAVY use of reinforcements since I never build foundations. I'll have to take a break from playing until this is fixed.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    It's super picky about position for the reinforcements. I found the only way to get it to work was on the very top edge from outside. I also only use foundations for external growbeds. 14 points from a MP room reinforcement is absolutely vital for any base even with foundations.
    ssutcliffe wrote: »
    It's super picky about position for the reinforcements. I found the only way to get it to work was on the very top edge from outside. I also only use foundations for external growbeds. 14 points from a MP room reinforcement is absolutely vital for any base even with foundations.

I was sometimes able to finish them from other random and odd spots. But I agree with you that I had best luck from the very top edge. Because it is so super picky, this particular bug is a show stopper for my play on experimental. I sure hope this bug didn't get pushed out to Steam today in their stealth update they just mentioned. Otherwise, they are going to have a TON of very unhappy players.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited October 2017
    It seems like whatever the issue was with the Wall Planters (formerly Living Walls) got fixed, but the fix broke window and reinforcement placement. Until it's fixed, if you're having trouble, try placing them from outside (just like you had to do with Wall Planters).
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    The multipurpose room windows and reinforcements should be fixed in experimental as of 54816.
    Awesome!!! Thank you so much!
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    Np! By the way, don't build signs or hull plates on top of windows if you're on experimental. A side-effect of fixing this bug is that bug will now be worse. Will probably get to it this weekend.