Development of the PDApp

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Recursion wrote: »
    there's not going to be an update today as I have been programming for nearly 4 hours, and am wiped out, and didn't even accomplish much today. Now, I would just like to say this, the reason why all the updates don't bring a large chunk of stuff into the app, is I'm still learning and Some of these things are very complicated(like the databank system and recording photos), and unity doesn't have pre-built assets for a lot of them, so I need to build them from scratch.
    On a completely related note, I would be very interested in collaborating with more experienced developers.

Never mind about this, everyone, for last night, while I was feeling tired and worn out I remembered that I didn't have to do it exactly like in the game! So, I came up with what I call the "5-level subsets" For the databank. No more will I have to mess about with instantiations! The idea behind the 5-level subsets, is there is one big drop-down menu at the top. you choose "subnautica" or "personal" if subnautica is chosen, the second subset down will have three choices: "fauna", "flora", or "data downloads". if fauna is chosen, the third one down will have 2 choices:"herbivore", or "carnivore". if herbivore is chosen the next subset down will have a list of all the herbivore creatures. It's basically the same for all the others. I hope to finish the databank soon.
    Smallish update today, The new system for the databank is finished, and everything under "Alien lifeforms" and "Data downloads" except flora and alien data(some data, not all of it) is finished! Bear in mind that going to subsets which are not finished will invairably not work and possibly break the app. Also, if anyone wants to write a short data bank entry on the standard PDA, to be displayed in thePDApp, under "welcome", ( @AnomalyDetected , you do writery stuff, so would you like to?) I would quite like that. I'm hoping to if not finish, bring in another large clump of the databank entrys tomorrow, and maybe start on the system to write your own entrys.
    Does anyone read this anymore? I'd just like to know, as I have had no activity on this except for me posting the updates for the past few days, and I don't want to clutter up the forums with unnecessary spam. @jeod , @AnomalyDetected , Is there anyone out there? out there...out there...out there...
    (No updates will be posted until I know that people are still reading this, So I do not clutter the forums with spam)
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Does anyone read this anymore? I'd just like to know, as I have had no activity on this except for me posting the updates for the past few days, and I don't want to clutter up the forums with unnecessary spam. @jeod , @AnomalyDetected , Is there anyone out there? out there...out there...out there...
    (No updates will be posted until I know that people are still reading this, So I do not clutter the forums with spam)

I haven't yet tried the app myself, but I'm most certainly paying attention.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    We're still paying attention.
    edited October 2017

I haven't yet tried the app myself, but I'm most certainly paying attention.
    Jacke wrote: »
    We're still paying attention.

Alright! I'll keep the updates up, then. Also, @dealwithitdog , I think I awesomed you, I'm not quite sure. It's showing the little 1 next to the awesome thing. I'm hoping that means what I think it means. (don't feel left out @jackE, I awesomed you as well. I hope.)
    The databank is finally finished! Feel free, to at any time access any of the subnautica data bank entrys, and ones you have written yourself! Nothing else is finished, however, as most of the programming time i spent today was just copying all the data bank entrys from the wiki to the code. Writing data bank entrys is quite easy, just go into "personal" on the first subset, appreciate how the other buttons come alive with whiteness, press edit title to edit the title, and press on the place where the main text comes up to edit the description. Saving it is a bit like before subnautica had autosave(anyone remember those times?). When you press the button for the first time it creates a slot for the new entry, and then whenever you press save it will save it in that slot(however, if you change the article name it will save it in a different slot), and If you go on to a different data bank article then the article will revert to the way it was before you edited it.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Recursion I've been keeping a close eye on this. Once you have it close to where you think you want it, I'll install it and check it out and provide feedback.
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    edited October 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Recursion I've been keeping a close eye on this. Once you have it close to where you think you want it, I'll install it and check it out and provide feedback.

it would be great if you could install it now, and give me feedback about the finished Pages. I won't actually implement those suggestions until the polish stage, But it would be great to have them now. It would also be great if you could tell me about any bugs, so that I can fix them, as While I do do a bug test before uploading every new version, Sometimes I miss things.

it would be great if you could install it now, and give me feedback about the finished Pages. I won't actually implement those suggestions until the polish stage, But it would be great to have them now. It would also be great if you could tell me about any bugs, so that I can fix them, as While I do do a bug test before uploading every new version, Sometimes I miss things.

Alright. Give me some time, I'll see if I can test it out.
    "The PDA name and logo are property of Unknown worlds entertainment" ==> "The PDA name and logo are property of Unknown Worlds Entertainment" ..."unless you contact the unknown worlds developers" ==> "unless you contact the Unknown Worlds developers"

Capitalize proper names (such as UWE's). Not a huge priority, just when you get a minute.

Might want to change "and in fact you will never have permissionto use the name and logo" (at least put in the missing space) to "permission to use the name and logo can only be given directly by the UWE developers"

Also, maybe make the consent checkbox unchecked by default? I think an argument could be made that someone didn't mean to check it (accidentally clicked "Dive in" before reading, or somesuch).

As for usability, the scrollbar needs to scroll one page at a time when clicked in between the current position and the arrow (try it now on your browser to see what I mean, or I can try to explain better).

Might want to implement swiping side to side on the main interface as well?
    edited October 2017
    (I'll have more input, that's just nitpicks from a quick glance.) Great job getting this up & running BTW. (:
    EDIT: Maybe make the spinny Alterra logo & startup sound play whenever app is launched (not running in the background, but actually launched? or maybe just switched to after a certain amount of time not in foreground?)
    edited October 2017
    I can't drop Beacons or move the map. Might also want to be able to record trips? Also, when Beacon drop is added, need to be able to rename them.
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    @0x6A7232
    A lot of suggestions. I don't have the app currently, but I'm sure that those will help a lot!
    "The PDA name and logo are property of Unknown worlds entertainment" ==> "The PDA name and logo are property of Unknown Worlds Entertainment" ..."unless you contact the unknown worlds developers" ==> "unless you contact the Unknown Worlds developers"

Capitalize proper names (such as UWE's). Not a huge priority, just when you get a minute.

Might want to change "and in fact you will never have permissionto use the name and logo" (at least put in the missing space) to "permission to use the name and logo can only be given directly by the UWE developers"

Also, maybe make the consent checkbox unchecked by default? I think an argument could be made that someone didn't mean to check it (accidentally clicked "Dive in" before reading, or somesuch).

As for usability, the scrollbar needs to scroll one page at a time when clicked in between the current position and the arrow (try it now on your browser to see what I mean, or I can try to explain better).

Might want to implement swiping side to side on the main interface as well?

I'll fix those problems with starting up today. With the Scrollbar I was going for Something like the Survival PDA interface, with the buttons, but I'll make something that tells you were The pages are, and Swiping might be a good idea.
    (I'll have more input, that's just nitpicks from a quick glance.) Great job getting this up & running BTW. (:
    EDIT: Maybe make the spinny Alterra logo & startup sound play whenever app is launched (not running in the background, but actually launched? or maybe just switched to after a certain amount of time not in foreground?)
    I could switch to the spinny thing at the polish stage. However, I won't be able to Make the sound play, as all the sound files for subnautica are encrypted(I checked). I'm thinking of asking the devs for a few assets at the polish stage.
    I can't drop Beacons or move the map. Might also want to be able to record trips? Also, when Beacon drop is added, need to be able to rename them.

The beacon tab is currently not finished, But I'm going to have another crack at it today.
    No update today, As I was working on making a beacon turn up on The pings tab when you pressed a button. The beacon turned up fine when I loaded it into the hierarchy, But if I instantiated it into the hierarchy via code, It didn't turn up. I'm going to post a "Help" thread on the unity forums.
    Never mind what I said, I found the problem, it was a problem where unity didn't instantiate objects in the right place, but I think it did this time. Or it might not have, but Anyway, I tried to compensate, so the beacon was way off. Build should be out soon.
    In this new version, you can finally drop beacons by pressing the beacon button! @0x6A7232 , Given that you're the only person who has the app, could you check if the beacons move about when you move about? They shouldn't, but I'm just checking.
    edited October 2017
    The pings tab is now finished! You can create unlimited beacons, Rename them from "checkpoint Recursion"(I didn't know what else to call them), and zoom in and out to immense levels(note: zooming in too far will take you through the map, and zooming out too far will reveal the map is just a square)! I've also identified where an adding/deleting pages problem is coming from, but I haven't the foggiest idea how to fix it yet. @0x6A7232 , mind giving me feedback on the new pings tab?
    Also, @0x6A7232 , I just realized that The spelling changes in the startup that you suggested were not implemented. That is because yesterday I Put them into the unity file, but later unity crashed and the changes were lost. I do respect your feedback, and the spelling changes will be implemented on the Monday update(as there will be no update until Monday).
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    I love how active and dedicated you are to this project!
    Have a good weekend!
    :)
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Can NOT wait until this is completed, I haven't actually gotten it yet (I need to lol) but this sounds awesome
    I'll see about testing tomorrow (unless I forget xP... I'll try to remember though.)
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    When I download the file and try to open it it says I can't open it, I read that you need an app which app do I get?

edited October 2017
    When I download the file and try to open it it says I can't open it, I read that you need an app which app do I get?

This one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rarlab.rar&hl=en (RAR for Android, from the guys who make WinRAR)

Download it onto your computer. Unzip the APK. Sideload ONLY the APK onto your android device.
    jeod wrote: »
    I love how active and dedicated you are to this project!
    Have a good weekend!
    :)

I did have a good weekend. Thanks.
    edited October 2017

Download it onto your computer. Unzip the APK. Sideload ONLY the APK onto your android device.

I've got it on my computer right now, also have my tablet hooked up to it with a USB, but how do I "sideload" it onto my tablet

Much easier to use the RAR app and just open it from within that - it should prompt to install, although you might have to switch on "install apps from unknown sources" for this install (basically, allow installs from a location other than Google Play Store, normally it will prompt you to do so).

Sideloading on the other hand requires adb.exe (Android Debug Bridge) as far as I know, as well as possibly installing special drivers for your phone, and using the command prompt (adb is a command line tool), and going into a special recovery mode to allow adb to load the apk (am I correct @Recursion ?)
    Much easier to use the RAR app and just open it from within that - it should prompt to install, although you might have to switch on "install apps from unknown sources" for this install (basically, allow installs from a location other than Google Play Store, normally it will prompt you to do so).

Sideloading on the other hand requires adb.exe (Android Debug Bridge) as far as I know, as well as possibly installing special drivers for your phone, and using the command prompt (adb is a command line tool), and going into a special recovery mode to allow adb to load the apk (am I correct @Recursion ?)
    Possibly not, what I did was I just moved the APK into the downloads folder of my tablet, navigated there using my file explorer, and pressed on the APK file(then again, I didn't need to tick "install from unknown sources", so I don't know what else is different on my tablet). That should then start the installation.