Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Diever112 wrote: »
    Flayra wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

We've been getting tons and tons of questions and requests about whether we're going to add multiplayer to Subnautica or not.

Back in our early prototypes we always had multiplayer in the back of our mind. But we had so much to learn about the game, multiplayer was never a priority. Eventually we hit early access and now it would take many man-years to add any kind of multiplayer to Subnautica. We don't want to spend years more working on Subnautica before v1.0, so we sadly have come to terms with the fact that we won't be adding any kind of multiplayer or coop to the game.

Maybe one day we'll start over on a different engine and make a new Subnautica game based around coop. A game where one person is piloting the sub, another person is poring over readouts and computers, another is repairing the engines and yet another is radioing for help in a dark biome, where their Seamoth is almost out of juice. We would love to play that game.

But until then, we're going to finish up Subnautica the way it was meant to be: one person trying to survive in in a massive, dangerous, beautiful, alien world.

-
    To share this adventure with a friend is something that must be present here. You are the creator of one of the few games that personally excited me so much that I registered on her site. It's not right, to deprive us of the opportunity to share the adventure with a friend.

It's not really their choice however.

To be perfectly honest, it's not right to ask the devs of such a massive request.

Creating multiplayer, which is the same as co-op mind you, is more difficult than you could probably ever imagine.

I'd need to find it, but a dev specifically said how difficult it is to create a full-fledged multiplayer. And trust you me, it was not a simple task by any means. Another year of coding and testing at least.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited August 2017
    Here we go,

"Getting basic 'multiplayer' working is pretty easy. It's when it comes down to checking on each machine where a fish is, how fast it's going. Which player's machine is in charge. Base bits, contents, serialization. Animation states & syncing across multiple machines or players, fish, enemies, projectiles, objects. Quite a big list.

In other words, the basics of moving something around is easy. The last hard parts are very hard. And it's that which will take a long time (but also make the game worthwhile). If all you want is a seamoth racing mod, that should be do-able. If you actually want the full Subnautica experience in co-op, that's going to be very hard."
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Hey everyone,

We've been getting tons and tons of questions and requests about whether we're going to add multiplayer to Subnautica or not.

Back in our early prototypes we always had multiplayer in the back of our mind. But we had so much to learn about the game, multiplayer was never a priority. Eventually we hit early access and now it would take many man-years to add any kind of multiplayer to Subnautica. We don't want to spend years more working on Subnautica before v1.0, so we sadly have come to terms with the fact that we won't be adding any kind of multiplayer or coop to the game.

Maybe one day we'll start over on a different engine and make a new Subnautica game based around coop. A game where one person is piloting the sub, another person is poring over readouts and computers, another is repairing the engines and yet another is radioing for help in a dark biome, where their Seamoth is almost out of juice. We would love to play that game.

But until then, we're going to finish up Subnautica the way it was meant to be: one person trying to survive in in a massive, dangerous, beautiful, alien world.

-
    To share this adventure with a friend is something that must be present here. You are the creator of one of the few games that personally excited me so much that I registered on her site. It's not right, to deprive us of the opportunity to share the adventure with a friend.

It's not their fault that they arent a multi billion game company. They don't have the resources to do that. And they don't have to add multiplayer if they don't want to. They aren't obligated to. It's their game, their choice. They have officially said it's not happening. End of story. I don't even get why this thread is still open...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited August 2017
    Hey everyone,

-

It's not their fault that they arent a multi billion game company. They don't have the resources to do that. And they don't have to add multiplayer if they don't want to. They aren't obligated to. It's their game, their choice. They have officially said it's not happening. End of story. I don't even get why this thread is still open...

So that folks can get it outta their system, without opening 100 new threads about it.

B)
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members

That's an understandable sentiment and I too would have loved to be able to play Subnautica with others. But it's not a matter of right v wrong. It's a matter of feasible v not.

Games with multi-player need to be designed from the beginning with at least that possibility in mind. The game needs to be ultra efficient with its data because that needs to be shared between players, sometimes across the whole planet. Single player games don't need that kind of efficiency and can lean on the full processing capabilities of the PC or console.

I think one of the reasons they opted for single-player is that they had very ambitious but data intensive plans involving non-visible variables like heat, sound and chemicals / smell which they felt would enhance the game, but which were only feasible with single player design.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    zadagado wrote: »
    Kaybe wrote: »
    I think not releasing multiplayer or coop for now is fine as you're building a single player game with a story. Best to perfect this and make it ready for release.

But not releasing multiplayer *ever* is a really really bad idea. To make the very obvious comparison, Minecraft is a great game qwop unblocked because it allows people to explore and build, but it's continued popularity is because of it's multiplayer ability, not despite it. Had it remained single player forever, I'm sure it would have waned and died down the line.

I do recommend making the single player and multiplayer experiences separate, mind you. The single player should be what's in place now, which is a static map with a set storyline. A multiplayer setting should make large randomized maps, with wrecks and blueprints scattered randomly so that each multiplayer server would be different. I do *strongly* recommend keeping qwop max multiplayer count on any server to around 10 or so. Personally, I think 4 would be the sweet spot.

Of course, I'm sure most people here appreciate the difficulty of implementing this and don't expect such a thing to happen anytime soon at all. Could be two or three years down the line and released as a paid expansion, for example.

agreeee

People might disagree about that but believe me if a dev just posted that a miracle happened and they're able to release multiplayer on 1.0 they'll pay for it I tell you now I don't mind playing coop even if not with a friend and I'm happy how far sunrunner went with this mod and i wish him good luck
  • Lamorn47Lamorn47 Join Date: 2017-09-09 Member: 232906Members
    I feel like they should have multiplayer if the cyclops is meant to be "piloted by 6 people".
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Lamorn47 wrote: »
    I feel like they should have multiplayer if the cyclops is meant to be "piloted by 6 people".

And yet another reefback meets its sad and painful demise to this thread...
    edited September 2017
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    Lamorn47 wrote: »

And yet another reefback meets its sad and painful demise to this thread...

It's a sad day indeed...

• ResilientPanda0ResilientPanda0 Join Date: 2017-10-02 Member: 233359Members
    edited October 2017
    If your not going to add multiplayer then add coop. Because for single player there is two seats in your escape pod, which I don't get at all if its just going to be single player get rid of the other seat. Also can you developers at least put in coop because me and my brother want to play it together since its a really good game with good graphics and game-play. Also for single player can you make some more land going out to the right side of the aurora because there is shallow land on the left and once you go to the other side it drops down and gets deeper every few meters which is weird. It's also really confusing that its like that at all. Also if you look at this comment and you don't change the land can you as the developers of the game add some more resources for the right side of the ship it would be a good help. For the main resources on the right side can you add mostly metal scrap, some resource boxes, and for the last part can you add some metal scraps that belong to the ship to make that side look like the right side took a lot of damage. thanks for reading my comment if your a developer and others like and comment if you agree with me.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    If your not going to add multiplayer then add coop. Because for single player there is two seats in your escape pod, which I don't get at all if its just going to be single player get rid of the other seat. Also can you developers at least put in coop because me and my brother want to play it together since its a really good game with good graphics and game-play. Also for single player can you make some more land going out to the right side of the aurora because there is shallow land on the left and once you go to the other side it drops down and gets deeper every few meters which is weird. It's also really confusing that its like that at all. Also if you look at this comment and you don't change the land can you as the developers of the game add some more resources for the right side of the ship it would be a good help. For the main resources on the right side can you add mostly metal scrap, some resource boxes, and for the last part can you add some metal scraps that belong to the ship to make that side look like the right side took a lot of damage. thanks for reading my comment if your a developer and others like and comment if you agree with me.

Sorry, bud. Not gonna happen. There are a few modders working on it, but ATM, there's not a way you can do co - op.
    The thing is, multiplayer and co-op are the exact same things.

The "multi" in multiplayer means multiple, or many. "Sure," I hear you saying, "what does that have to do with anything?" Two people would be considered multiple people. Therefore, multiple people playing a game...you can see where I'm going with this.

Luckily for you, as @kingkuma stated, a group of modders have undertaken the arduous task of multiplayer.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Do people not understand the fact that multi player and co op are ALMOST the same exact thing?
  • creepjaxcreepjax michigan Join Date: 2017-10-04 Member: 233388Members
    does anyone know how to make a discussion
  • FractaliteFractalite Join Date: 2017-11-08 Member: 233889Members
    So now that we know the promise of multiplayer is false will refunds be given to those who supported the game during early development under the expectation of multiplayer?

I don't think multiplayer was ''promised''. And asking for a refund seems a little shallow to me, honestly. Even without multiplayer, Subnautica is still an amazing game as it is.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    creepjax wrote: »
    does anyone know how to make a discussion

Just go to the category you need to put the thread in, and click "New Discussion"
  • justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members
    The dark side of subnautica "Subnautica Stories Untold" multiplayer in a new darker version of the game where you decide which lifepod you get in and have to try and survive until such time that you die. Would be a hard core game and rightfully so and the creatures would come after you more since you would not be in the safe shallows.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    justi18562 wrote: »
    The dark side of subnautica "Subnautica Stories Untold" multiplayer in a new darker version of the game where you decide which lifepod you get in and have to try and survive until such time that you die. Would be a hard core game and rightfully so and the creatures would come after you more since you would not be in the safe shallows.

YES. THIS IS AWESOME! I've been pushing for lifepod choice for YEARS now, somebody else has the same idea! Maybe after you beat the game, to give it replay value. These lifepods should sink, like the ones in the game, correct?
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    edited November 2017
    The dark side of subnautica "Subnautica Stories Untold" multiplayer in a new darker version of the game where you decide which lifepod you get in and have to try and survive until
    kingkuma wrote: »

YES. THIS IS AWESOME! I've been pushing for lifepod choice for YEARS now, somebody else has the same idea! Maybe after you beat the game, to give it replay value. These lifepods should sink, like the ones in the game, correct?

I believe that would be a separate game, as subnautica itself is about completed
  • WildWolfyWildWolfy Nottingham UK Join Date: 2017-11-28 Member: 234152Members
    I agree with this game atm, that single player is the better choice, it has a strong story line and open survival, But what id like to see is actually rescueing members of the Crew, not turning up to every life pod empty because they been eaten or caught.
    Why cant there be NPCs that you can take back to your Base. Maybe they can, run your base for you while your away or you can give them jobs to do. i.e get fish, specimins. or get salvage, or collect materials some can man the Cyclosp with you.
    Its hard to belive that you are the only best survivor of a whole ship that cant survive in a world.
    Maybe find some Dead bobies or Half eaten by creatures, add some horror to the game. Maybe you get to a lifepod and you see someone being eaten, or dragged away. A cut scene. I see this game as a Horror, and there is nothing more scary than water and what lies beneath.

Maybe Subnautica two, there can be a Co-op option you and your mate can help each other build a base collect marterials. etc.
    Or add and open world like ARK. i think this kind of game has allot of open doors where you can go, with it. its a whole planet of water, allot of areas to explore. allot of biomes allot more creatures to add. A game like this can only get bigger, I know if i had the money to invest in a game it would be water based, already i have listed 50 plus ideas as i play what id add to make this game better or scaryer.
    WildWolfy wrote: »
    I agree with this game atm, that single player is the better choice, it has a strong story line and open survival, But what id like to see is actually rescueing members of the Crew, not turning up to every life pod empty because they been eaten or caught.
    Why cant there be NPCs that you can take back to your Base. Maybe they can, run your base for you while your away or you can give them jobs to do. i.e get fish, specimins. or get salvage, or collect materials some can man the Cyclosp with you.
    Its hard to belive that you are the only best survivor of a whole ship that cant survive in a world.
    Maybe find some Dead bobies or Half eaten by creatures, add some horror to the game. Maybe you get to a lifepod and you see someone being eaten, or dragged away. A cut scene. I see this game as a Horror, and there is nothing more scary than water and what lies beneath.

Maybe Subnautica two, there can be a Co-op option you and your mate can help each other build a base collect marterials. etc.
    Or add and open world like ARK. i think this kind of game has allot of open doors where you can go, with it. its a whole planet of water, allot of areas to explore. allot of biomes allot more creatures to add. A game like this can only get bigger, I know if i had the money to invest in a game it would be water based, already i have listed 50 plus ideas as i play what id add to make this game better or scaryer.

I disagree with the npcs thing, as the idea with the pods is, you get a call for help, and you go there to try to help, only to realize that you were too late
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    WildWolfy wrote: »

i don't wanna be mean but like

those are all terrible, terrible ideas
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Hmm... Maybe we could get multiplayer in Subnautica 2? I'm pretty sure with all the precursor tech on planet Alterra will be there to attempt to pick it clean...
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    "if you won't added multiplayer then add spiltscreen instead"

Please don't kill me for making a joke
  • RustymaterRustymater Join Date: 2017-12-03 Member: 234224Members
    Longevity-wise I just don't see this as a viable decision. Why not even the option for LAN?
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rustymater wrote: »
    Longevity-wise I just don't see this as a viable decision. Why not even the option for LAN?

Because LAN play and WAN play have exactly the same code requirements.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    “No multiplayer?! At least give us Co-op!”
  • Mxrphy177Mxrphy177 UK Newcastle upon tyne Join Date: 2017-12-08 Member: 234313Members

i agree with Shuttle bug a simple co op will do i have friend on mac and i use pc we both love subnautica and we want co op
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @Mxrphy177 The quotes indicate it was a joke( see jamintheinfinite_1's post above). Be careful around here, some people get quickly hostile with requests for multiplayer. This thread is here to make it clear that there is not going to be co-op or any other form of multiplayer in this game. There was a community-made multiplayer mod in the works, but the thread hasn't updated since early October( click here ).
    edited December 2017
    Mxrphy177 wrote: »

i agree with Shuttle bug a simple co op will do i have friend on mac and i use pc we both love subnautica and we want co op

Yeah, that was a joke.

Contrary to popular belief, multiplayer and co-op are one and the same, simply one is slightly easier to have than the other. Both of which are pretty much out of the question for at least a few years.

However, hostility had died down a tad bit.

But, @Mxrphy177, if you see a Minion who overuses this emoji B)

Run like the Dickens!