How do I add a GIF as my profile picture?

kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
I've been trying to set my profile pic to a gif I made, but I only get the first frame. Any help?
Here's the GIF:
y8gnovxnuujx.gif

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    @Kouji_San would probably know the best. He's the only one with an animated profile.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Skope wrote: »
    @Kouji_San would probably know the best. He's the only one with an animated profile.

Yeah, He would be the one to go to. Although, after all of our shenanigans cough neuralyzer cough, I dunno if he'd even remember.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017
    ... earlier comments removed...
    I see what you mean. Yeah, ask @Kouji_San since we know his is animated.

• Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    edited September 2017
    You gotta make sure the file is small in both size and dimensions. You can use sites as ezgif.com for this.

For reference, mine is 90x90 pixels and 35KB in size.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    You gotta make sure the file is small in both size and dimensions. You can use sites as ezgif.com for this.

Hmm, did they change something. Cause I couldn't get a gif with a filesize bigger than 5Kb to work, hence why mine was so lowres with just an index of 128... I used to have one of 200x200/256 before the forum change and I wanted to see if I could go higher res for a more crispy image, which wasn't allowed. BUT then the forum said NOPE, when I wanted to go back to my old 200x200/256...
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hmm, did they change something..
    I think they must have - I tried the same gif I am using now way back when I've just joined the forum and it refused to work back then. Tried it again recently and it went through. :)

• Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members

Since @kingkuma didn't bother to show any common courtesy to say thanks for the help, I'll be the one to do it: thank you for the info, @Calarand77 - I'm gonna spice up my profile picture as soon as I get home from work today.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Victor32 wrote: »

Since @kingkuma didn't bother to show any common courtesy to say thanks for the help,
    c8a2sh21xxar.jpg

@kingkuma - just to be clear, I do not expect gratitude from anyone, ever. I'm glad my hint could be of some use to you. That's it.

@Victor32 - If I help someone, it's because I can and want to help, not because I want to bask in my own glory. Ugh, that would be disgusting, really. So please, keep me out of your... "manner lessons" in the future, thank you.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    Welp. That took a turn.

I still say it's a polite thing to say thanks if someone helps you, but hey, I'm just an old fart, probably too old for the new times and social norms. Politeness apparently isn't cool anymore. Yeah I'm gonna see myself out now. Cheers.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited October 2017
    Victor32 wrote: »
    Welp. That took a turn.

I still say it's a polite thing to say thanks if someone helps you, but hey, I'm just an old fart, probably too old for the new times and social norms. Politeness apparently isn't cool anymore. Yeah I'm gonna see myself out now. Cheers.

I think we have a classic case of interwebs misunderstanding here.

My impression was @Victor32 was trying to be funny while also being a little pushy about manners (considering it was done in a humorous fashion, no big deal).

The problem was, the humor wasn't well-done and no one realized it was meant in a friendly *tsk, tsk* sort of way?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that's the only thing that makes sense to me. I mean, unless @Victor32 actually thought someone was being rude?

I dunno. Regardless, follow rule 1 for best results:

Please behave politely at all times. That means refraining from swearing and disrespectful comments