Build 52491 - VR Only - Can't enter Bases

ToriessianToriessian United States Join Date: 2017-07-12 Member: 231779Members
I can't actually enter bases I build while in VR mode. When I use the hatch to enter the base I immediately fall to the ground. At that point the game acts like I'm in a base, I don't lose O2, I'm not swimming etc.. but I can't actually get into the base. If the base entrance is high off the ground, I take damage/die. If the hatch is somewhere I can get to after falling, I can use it again and "leave" the base and start swimming again.

This does not occur when not in VR mode. Possibly has something to do with the animation not playing in VR where you actually enter the hatch and go into the base?

Comments

• DelmarKaneDelmarKane US Join Date: 2016-08-31 Member: 221945Members
    I can also confirm having this bug. At work right now so I cannot check version number but I am on Steam Experimental version. Check date of this post to find exact version number based on time of posting.

I am on Oculus Rift (yes, and playing through Steam). Have updated to latest nVidia drivers as of this date as well.

It is understood that you are doing performance enhancements but it is going to be much harder to continue to test in VR if we cannot enter a base (which also likely means the Seamoth, Cyclops, and Prawn.

• ToriessianToriessian United States Join Date: 2017-07-12 Member: 231779Members
    @DelmarKane The exit/entrance to Seabases seems to only be broken via hatches for me. The moonpool ladders and docking via vehicles seems to work. Tested a little more today on 52959
  • eswoosheswoosh United States Join Date: 2017-09-14 Member: 233032Members
    edited September 2017
    Hey I can confirm actually that switching to the experimental version today has fixed this bug for me personally. From start I wasn't having this issue until i saved my game in my base for the first time. My theory is actually that the hull integrity mechanics cause this problem to occur. I have a theory that if you log into non VR. go outside. destroy hatch. and then rebuild hatch from outside that it might fix the issue. Have not confirmed this as I am just playing on experimental for now. Hoping I don't run into some other bug.

EDIT: Going to experimental you will not be able to bring your save back to regular version. So someone would have to test my theory themselves LOL
  • atelescopeatelescope USA Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209259Members
    I can confirm that there are problems with getting in the Cyclops through hatch, climbing down the Cyclops bridge ladders, getting out of PRAWN suit (it will not sit sometimes) in addition to the seabase hatch problems talked about.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited September 2017
    eswoosh wrote: »
    Hey I can confirm actually that switching to the experimental version today has fixed this bug for me personally. From start I wasn't having this issue until i saved my game in my base for the first time. My theory is actually that the hull integrity mechanics cause this problem to occur. I have a theory that if you log into non VR. go outside. destroy hatch. and then rebuild hatch from outside that it might fix the issue. Have not confirmed this as I am just playing on experimental for now. Hoping I don't run into some other bug.

EDIT: Going to experimental you will not be able to bring your save back to regular version. So someone would have to test my theory themselves LOL

Copy the saved game to a new save slot (like, slot0001 -> slot0002) and only upgrade the copy.
  • JesmasterzeroJesmasterzero UK Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217425Members
    Just chipping in to say I'm having this issue too. Oculus Rift, using the Steam version of the game. Can post specs if required, but appears to be affecting everyone playing in VR.

Reddit thread about it too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/7049g8/cant_enter_exit_hatches_after_update/?st=j7lnzqyi&sh=fc78cb52

Haven't played for long enough to test cyclops etc, but I can't enter any base hatches.
    Has this been acknowledged anywhere? Game is literally unplayable in VR until it's fixed.
  • cleppecleppe Sweden/Stockholm Join Date: 2017-09-19 Member: 233138Members
    edited September 2017
    Very new to the game and absolutely love it and was quite excited when I constructed my first small base and likewise quite annoyed when I could not actually enter it, just dropped me down on the sea-floor. Luckily I climb/jump up to the door again end "exit" the building from the outside. I really hope a fix will be out soon.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    IIRC it's on the Trello to be fixed?
  • BoondoggleBoondoggle United States Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233180Members
    Same glitch for me. The idea of exiting VR and playing on Desktop for base interaction is not an option. I bought it specifically for VR game play, and building is a major component for the game. It is surprising that this OBVIOUS glitch exists. Worse, I find it irresponsible to advertise this game as VR compatible, when in fact it is not since this major aspect of the game does not work. I suppose patience will have to prevail, provided this glitch is fixed.
  • BolerroBolerro United States Join Date: 2017-09-23 Member: 233192Members
    Boondoggle wrote: »
    Same glitch for me. The idea of exiting VR and playing on Desktop for base interaction is not an option. I bought it specifically for VR game play, and building is a major component for the game. It is surprising that this OBVIOUS glitch exists. Worse, I find it irresponsible to advertise this game as VR compatible, when in fact it is not since this major aspect of the game does not work. I suppose patience will have to prevail, provided this glitch is fixed.

Do remember this game has not been officially released. It is still in Pre-Release. Submit bug reports in game and here as well when possible. I just ordered the VIVE, so looking forward to seeing it in VR... with or without bugs :)
  • YohaskanYohaskan Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222961Members
    Just for info.
    This bug is fixed but on Experimental version.
    and HUD/UI/Fov is fixed too
    backup your save before.
  • jacoby_swiftjacoby_swift Huddersfield, UK Join Date: 2016-11-20 Member: 224093Members
    Bumping this as I'm having the same issue playing in my Oculus.

I've tried everything from uninstalling and redownloading everything, to trying this with many different combinations of hatch and room. Same error every time. Clicking on a hatch toggles between being under water and being on land, but does not 'port you into the base. So you drop through the air to the ground (taking damage if it's a long fall) and walk around on the sea bed.

This bug makes this amazing game pretty unplayable in VR at the moment.
    Had a look at experimental mode, but the wiki says this:

"New updates are made available almost every weekday. Saved games might not properly carry over from one patch to another so it is recommended to start a new game with each update."

sooo,,,does that mean you'd need to start a new save basically every day?

• warlainwarlain United States Join Date: 2017-09-30 Member: 233328Members
    Confirmed with Oculus. Unplayable for me now, since I'm not far enough along to have a moonpool. Incidentally, the argument that bugs are fine because it's Early Access ignore the fact that on Steam "Early Access" is pretty much a fiction now. In reality, Early Access just means they'll keep working on it as long as people keep paying for it. So, a bug like this should be treated like a game-breaking bug in a fully-live game.

Since VR is still a niche market, though, I understand why fixing this isn't at the top of their to-do list, but it's still frustrating.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Please test on latest Experimental version if you're having issues leaving bases: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Experimental_Mode
  • PragimusPragimus US Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220610Members
    So I purchased via the Oculus Rift store, and is there a way to go experimental mode via that platform? [Even though I have steam, I didn't buy via that outlet] I'm getting the same issue as stated above, and even though I can enter the 'moth, Cyclops and PRAWN suit, bases are still inaccessible in all three modes. I was hoping to experiment with the.... uhm, Experimental mode, lol, and see what other bugs I could find. [I also purchased the XBox version as well, and haven't played on that platform since about 9 months ago]
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Pragimus wrote: »
    So I purchased via the Oculus Rift store, and is there a way to go experimental mode via that platform? [Even though I have steam, I didn't buy via that outlet] I'm getting the same issue as stated above, and even though I can enter the 'moth, Cyclops and PRAWN suit, bases are still inaccessible in all three modes. I was hoping to experiment with the.... uhm, Experimental mode, lol, and see what other bugs I could find. [I also purchased the XBox version as well, and haven't played on that platform since about 9 months ago]

We'll be updating with a new version with the fixes soon.
    edited October 2017
    Obraxis wrote: »

We'll be updating with a new version with the fixes soon.

Any idea on a ballpark? We talking days or weeks? Don't mind either way but I'm waiting on the update before trying to play again as I'd rather not go experimental (don't have a huge amount of time to play)

It's so good in VR, only bought it about 2 days before the update that broke it though heh.

EDIT: Looks like a big update is due on the 23rd October according to the Trello road map. Guessing it will be in that?
  • DredDred Join Date: 2017-10-10 Member: 233493Members
    Subnautica in VR is the most immersive VR game I've played (and I have a good number of vr games), so I hope this fix is coming ASAP. And please keep the VR support rolling UW!