Recipe changes - HUGE change to early game

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
Habitat Builder - Advanced Wiring Kit + Battery
Advanced Wiring Kit - Wiring Kit + 2 Gold + Computer Chip
Wiring Kit - 2 Silver
Computer Chip - Copper Wire + Gold + 2 Table Coral

It seems like the Habitat Builder long ago might have been just the old Computer chip + Titanium when the Computer Chip was Silver + 2 Table Coral + Quartz. So, once you found just a single Silver Ore, you could make the Habitat Builder. Now, I think the recipe ends up being a total of:

2 Silver
3 Gold
2 Copper
2 Table Coral
1 Battery

(I list the battery separately since you get a battery free from the Repair Tool.)

Also, the Solar Panel now takes 1 Silver as well. So, unless you are rolling in TONS of silver early on, you may have an unpowered base for quite a while.

At the moment, I'm overflowing with Copper ore but now it's back to struggling once again to find Silver Ore. I'm not sure if I'll use the next Silver Ore for a Solar Panel or for the High Cap Tank. Wow! Big changes for early game now!

Oh, and the recipe for Locker / Wall lockers change too!

Wall Locker - 2 titanium

Locker - 2 Titanium + 1 Quartz

Strange times!

Comments

• KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    garath wrote: »
    Also, the Solar Panel now takes 1 Silver as well. So, unless you are rolling in TONS of silver early on, you may have an unpowered base for quite a while.

Is the bioreactor not still easy as heck to make? Or am I missing something? Not that solar panels are bad, but bioreactors have always been my go-to for base power (I'm usually too deep for solar panels to be that effective).

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Kurasu wrote: »

Is the bioreactor not still easy as heck to make? Or am I missing something? Not that solar panels are bad, but bioreactors have always been my go-to for base power (I'm usually too deep for solar panels to be that effective).

You can't make a bioreactor without the Multi Purpose Room...

I'm talking very early game when you plop down just an X-Corridor base piece so you can build lockers and/or wall lockers. At this point in the game, Solar Panels are your only option.
    The DEVs forgot to change the recipe for Beacons back to use Copper Wire now that they require silver in more recipes. I'm completely out of silver ore but sitting on 25 copper. I went to go make a bunch of beacons with my 25 spare copper and realized the beacon recipe needs silver ore.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    BTW, has anything been done about the excess of aggression fauna? Packs of Stalkers in the "Safe" Shallows and Bonesharks everywhere?

I saw some of those blueprint changes in Experimental earlier this month, but I stopped playing about 2 weeks ago due to outside factors. Have these changes hit Stable?

The changes that added Silver to Solar Panels and other base component changes hadn't hit Experimental yet. I think the Habitat Builder was still a Computer Chip and a Battery. But the Computer Chip had already become the Silver-less blueprint of Gold + Copper Wire (AKA 2 Copper) + 2x Table Coral Samples. Beacons were Silver + Titanium.

At the time I tested, the balance between Gold, Silver, and Copper was good, with the pacing element switching between them. I got the Scanning Room soon enough to alternate searching for Sandstone and Limestone Outcroppings, with Lithium once or twice. Wasn't tempted to go to the Sea Treader's Path for Copper and Lithium even once. Lead was still too common, but it wasn't too much not to stockpile in one Locker for future Fuel Rod use.

What is interesting is addressing the relative shortage of Quartz. Wall Lockers used to be Quartz + 2x Titanium, Lockers were Glass (2x Quartz) + 2x Titanium. Dropping the needed Quartz to 0 and 1 is amazing.

But increasing the need for Silver such that it is now back to where things were in the bad old days of Silver shortages is very alarming. That means Gold will almost certainly become oversupplied. And switching things from Computer Chips to Advanced Wiring Kits...damn. We'll likely have the Gold, but the Silver for the Wiring Kits?

I may have to start a new Experimental game just to give feedback. When I was almost set to go to the Aurora. I do like the early game.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2017
    I made a post regarding this the other day, and I was mildly miffed at the changes. Especially at the fact that at my current point in Subnautica, I had my Cyclops deep in the Lost River near the Ghost Tree. I had just saved my game the night before, with my Moonpool powered by two Thermal Plants trying to recharge my Cyclops after outrunning the juvenile Ghost Leviathan. After recharging up my Power Cells (which took quite a while, as the heat output of Thermal Spouts did not match up where the smokers are at...) I was disturbed to find that deconstructing everything gave me back this mishmash of items. Had I saved the game before anything was built, I would have been in a bind to recharge anything (and would have had to resort to console command cheats just to continue). :pensive:

While I am glad that the devs are experimenting with recipes (such as the WFM, it finally makes more sense now) as I state in my original post I am apprehensive that some recipes still don't make common sense. I am really hoping they look into some of these issues well before the game officially launches... I don't want new players to scratch their heads pondering "how does this even make sense?" :neutral:
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I guess I haven't played in a week or so, been busy, but I recall some of the early game recipe changes and was mostly pleased. The habitat builder was a /lot/ easier to do then, as was the fabricator. I was thrilled at being able to get those things much earlier on. Seems like they've changed things up again since then, and it's my guess that they'll keep experimenting up until launch.

Expect all this stuff to change drastically back and forth over the coming weeks, and as I always caution, don't get too attached to your current game. c.c
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    Sandstone now drops LEAD too, as well as gold and silver. That makes getting that silver even worse. Lead of all things! The least useful element. Making solar panels require silver is a terrible change. Getting silver is hateful until you get the drill arm, and that is often the very last thing anyone finds. I hope that they change their minds on doing that. I usually like having 6-8 solar panels on solar bases to be able to support an uber-powerdraining water filtration plant. Needing 6-8 silver just for that, with sandstone dropping lead more then silver or gold would make that a awful pain. No one would use solar panels for more then one base ever until getting the drill arm.
    This puts a premium on getting the Scanner Room early, even before the MFR.

And knowing things like all 3 large coral tubes in the Safe Shallows.

I am really worried that the changes are now returning to a state where veteran players will become frustrated. I wonder how new players will react, not knowing the locations of outcrop clusters and common places for midgame frags.
    Kurasu wrote: »

You can't make a bioreactor without the Multi Purpose Room...

I'm talking very early game when you plop down just an X-Corridor base piece so you can build lockers and/or wall lockers. At this point in the game, Solar Panels are your only option.

Oh right! D'uh. I gotcha now. Wasn't thinking. :)
    ssutcliffe wrote: »
    Sandstone now drops LEAD too, as well as gold and silver. That makes getting that silver even worse. Lead of all things! The least useful element.

Well, IIRC, lead is now needed to build a lot of things as well. Especially most of the vehicles.

Did they remove lead from limestone altogether? It would be awesome if they did.

I started a new Experimental game tonight (54517). Played 2h20m.

There's still packs of Stalkers around the Safe Shallows and the Kelp Forest. However, there's also a lot of Stalker Teeth.

Limestone outcroppings appear to be less common in the Safe Shallows. And the Quartz is gone.

For both, have to find one of the large coral tubes. Nothing on the outside. It's all along the inside. Watch out for Crashfish.

And have to search the caves in the Safe Shallows and the Kelp Forest for Quartz, Limestone, and Sandstone. More Crashfish.

Of course, my first Sandstone yielded Lead. The PDA text for Sandstone doesn't mention Lead.

And when the Aurora blew up and I got the blueprint for the Rad suit, it took several Sandstone outcroppings to find the second Lead. Lead is in short supply and I've really not got any extra.

The blueprint for Advanced Wiring Kit is initially absent, despite showing the AWK as an ingredient for the Habitat Builder. The AWK blueprint appeared when I crafted a Computer Chip. Prior to that, I'd crafted a Wiring Kit expecting it then, but got nothing. This is going to frustrate new players.

Quartz was impossible to find until I started going into caves and the large coral tube. Limestone and Sandstone outcroppings appear slightly less and now more hidden.

After finding Quartz, I didn't use as much as before with its reduced requirements in base part blueprints. Be sure not to precraft too much into Glass as some blueprints that used Glass, like Hatches and Lockers, now use Quartz to cut the need for Quartz.

I'm being careful in my use of Copper, so I've not really had a shortage. Have a fair amount of Cave Sulphur but haven't been tempted to make Repair Tools to extract the near-free Batteries. Gold is usually present. Because....

We are back to Silver being the pacing element. Searching for Sandstone. And now Silver is in a lot more items, like the Solar Panel and the Medkit Fabricator. I have my initial corridor base underneath Lifepod 5 and it has lockers, a Fabricator, and a Comm Relay. And 1 Solar Panel. Silver is gone. Quartz could easily get tight, as could Lead.

I have had 3 Lifepod messages and 3 message from the Sunbeam. Haven't gone to any of the other Lifepods yet. Have the Seaglide.
    Just a follow-up to this thread. I started a new game and built a habitat builder. Then, I built an X-corridor to hold some lockers. Since I'm out of silver I can't make a solar panel to power the base. Thus, I'm slowly running out of oxygen. But rather than worry about suffocating, I just let myself die.... Because I'm just going to spawn *exactly* where I'm at anyways. And since I spawn right back here, I don't lose anything. LOL.

Just a follow-up to this thread. I started a new game and built a habitat builder. Then, I built an X-corridor to hold some lockers. Since I'm out of silver I can't make a solar panel to power the base. Thus, I'm slowly running out of oxygen. But rather than worry about suffocating, I just let myself die.... Because I'm just going to spawn *exactly* where I'm at anyways. And since I spawn right back here, I don't lose anything. LOL.
    Never say die! And I haven't. I reserved 1 Silver for the single Solar Panel powering my 1st base, under Lifepod 5. So easy now to make a Fabricator (Ti + Au + Table Coral) and a Comm Relay (Ti + Cu), but a Medkit Fabricator needs 1 Silver so I just swim up to the Lifepod. Or could stockpile Fiber Mesh (has a new icon and can easily be told from Silicone Rubber now) as Fabricating a First Aid Kit just needs 1 Fiber Mesh.

Just over 6 hours into my new Experimental game started Thursday. To my usual base 1st base, one Glass Corridor on a Foundation, I've added an X Corridor. In the Glass Corridor there's my usual 2 Wall Lockers and 2 Lockers. In the X Corridor, I've built 4 Wall Lockers. Think of switching entirely to Wall Lockers in the future to avoid using any Quartz, which can be in short supply. Have 2 Bulbo Tree Samples from my visit to Volcano Isle for the Sunbeam tragedy, just need to find and scan a plant pot. Also got plenty of DIamond, but haven't unlocked the Laser Cutter blueprint. And on my way back I found a wreck in a Kelp Forest that can only be accessed by cutting open a hatch.

I did have 1 of 3 Laser Cutter frags. But like the Seamoth, the Laser Cutter for me suffers from savegame frag loss, so both of those are now 0 for 3. The Mobile Vehicle Bay and the Cyclops Engine do appear to keep their progress, both at 1 of 3.

Finding so much Lead in Sandstone it's not funny. Already made use of it for early game (2 in Rad Suit, 2 in base Foundation), now I need Silver and frags. I imagine Lead is balanced for the full game when it's consumed in Fuel Rods, but for now, I'd like more Silver please.

Especially as many critical items like Beacons now use Silver. I'd rather Beacons used 2 Copper. Would like a Medkit Fabricator, Beacons, or a Compass, but they use 1, 1, and 2 Silver respectively. I've got 2 pieces of Silver and I might need them for a number of things before I find more.

Oh, and there's now a bug that can report the wrong amount of time played. Last play session earlier today, I start at just over 4 hours of progress. Played for about 2 hours and saved and exitted to main menu. Saw my save game now had just over 6 hours. Came back tonight and see my save game report just over 4 hours. But the save time was at the end of my afternoon session. And I still had the progress, as things like the Sunbeam tragedy had taken place and there were log entries from after it (including the first creepy one from the Warpers).
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    BTW, has anything been done about the excess of aggression fauna? Packs of Stalkers in the "Safe" Shallows and Bonesharks everywhere?

A good solution to this would be to randomise aggression...

Avimimus wrote: »

A good solution to this would be to randomise aggression...
    It's kind of random now. I've had Stalkers scream but not bite me or they just missed because I zigged and they zagged. And of course, when I went to Volcano Isle for the Sunbeam tragedy, going back had to swim through a pack or two of Bonesharks. While trying to gather mats of course. And no Reinforced dive suit this early in a game....

Sometimes freeswimming is safer than being in a vehicle.
    I think I read somewhere that Lead has been moved from Limestone to Sandstone entirely, and game play experience bears this out. Now instead of being frustrated that I got lead instead of copper, I'm frustrated that I got lead instead of silver.

Most of the recipe changes I don't mind, even needing a silver for a beacon (why?, whatevs), but needing silver for a solar panel is something I hope they reverse. I didn't build a base for a while because I didn't want to "waste" my silver on solar panels. As a result, I got the bioreactor blueprint early on and just built one of those. (I always dive the Degasi wreck in the mushroom forest to get the MPR blueprint early on.)

Other note about my latest game: I got the Mobile Vehicle Bay and Seamoth before I got a Seaglide. Laser Cutter, too. It was so weird.
    Lead starts out being in tight supply because it now comes from Sandstone. But only need 4 early on (2 for Rad Suit and 2 for Foundation of 1st base) and then a 5th for the Seamoth means Lead starts building up soon too. But because Silver is in such short supply Copper and Gold accumulate. I've recent redid my 1st base into a Glass Corridor and X-Corridor with 14 Wall Lockers. It's great the Wall Locker only need 3 Titanium as Quartz is now hard to find. Most often seen inside the large coral tubes and caves.

A trip to the Volcano Isle for the Sunbeam tragedy got me the 2 Diamond I would need later for a Laser Cutter. (Also Gold, Lithium, and Bulbo Tree Samples for the future when I scan a plant pot.) Then searching locally allowed me to stockpile mats especially all 3 of Copper, Silver and Gold. I wanted to thoroughly explore the wreck near Lifepod 17 and I figured I needed 2 spare High Capacity Oxygen Tanks, so needed 2 Silver. Found 5 and already had 2 Silver, so I also splurged and made a Compass.

That wreck near Lifepod 17 is a gold mine. Even with 2 spare tanks, did about 5 dives down and in. A *lot* of compartments inside, with 2 entrances. Be sure to have the Repair Tool, although the two entrances are on either side of the broken door. Seamoth, Scanner Room, and Propulsion Cannon frags outside. Battery Charger, Laser Cutter, and Propulsion frags inside, as well as many base parts to scan (including Floodlight), 2 PDAs and a Natural Selection 2 poster (which can be hard to grab; aim at the top mounting bracket to get it).

Then back at my base I put in a second Solar Panel and built the Battery Charger, then the Scanner Room, along with 4 Range Extensions and the HUD Chip. Set scan for Sandstone and went out to get more mats. Finally made a Seamoth, about 8.5 hours into the game. As well as splurged and made a single Beacon.

Silver is now as tight as it was in the past. All 3 of the metals, Copper, Silver, and Gold need to be carefully allocated. But Silver is the pacing element and the others will usually be around because you don't have the Silver to make items that use them.
    I never build foundations except as a landing platform for my Seamoth. Now though, the game gives you the Moon Pool *before* the Multi Purpose Room. It is crazy how much the DEVs have mixed things up. I can now build a Scanner Room and Moon Pool before the Multi Purpose Room! The only reason for building a foundation now is as a place to put external grow beds. But now that foundations require lead, I will probably hold off a bit making a Foundation until I want to grow something important like Aerogel.

They really do need to fix the beacon recipe. Now that silver is in such short supply, I doubt I will ever use silver to make a beacon. They made two changes to affect silver availability. First, they added it back to several recipes. Then, they took a bunch of it away when they started giving lead from Sandstone. If they keep silver in the beacon recipe at the 1.0 release, they might as well kill off the beacon recipe entirely!!

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    I never build foundations except as a landing platform for my Seamoth. Now though, the game gives you the Moon Pool *before* the Multi Purpose Room. It is crazy how much the DEVs have mixed things up. I can now build a Scanner Room and Moon Pool before the Multi Purpose Room! The only reason for building a foundation now is as a place to put external grow beds. But now that foundations require lead, I will probably hold off a bit making a Foundation until I want to grow something important like Aerogel.

They really do need to fix the beacon recipe. Now that silver is in such short supply, I doubt I will ever use silver to make a beacon. They made two changes to affect silver availability. First, they added it back to several recipes. Then, they took a bunch of it away when they started giving lead from Sandstone. If they keep silver in the beacon recipe at the 1.0 release, they might as well kill off the beacon recipe entirely!!

Beacons aren't intended to be craftable early in the game I don't use them until I have the prawn suit and relax its not like 1.0 will drop tomorrow?
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    More lead ? We are already overwhelmed by Lead. I'm trashing them by dozens even if I use a Nuke power plant.
    Getting serious now. Made a Command Chair in my initial base under Lifepod 5 just so I can peruse my PDA without using Food or Water. :)

Noticed another blueprint change. Plasteel Ingot now requires 2 Lithium combined with a Titanium Ingot.
    I always put my bases on Foundations. And I've really noticed the Scanner Room coming early. I now build one on my initial base underneath Lifepod 5. Really need it to find enough Sandstone and I suspect also Quartz now. It's kind of interesting how the early and middle game has changed and I like some of it. How simple changes can have such impact and cause shifts in game strategy and progress.

Having the Scanner Room and finding Sandstone easily meant I could justify making a Compass (2 Silver) and 2 spare High Capacity Oxygen Tanks (1 Silver each). That made the 5 or so dives down to the wreck near Lifepod 17 easy. That wreck is a gold mine of frags, but so long and winding the extra oxygen is needed. There's also a Natural Selection 2 poster in it. :)

I can believe getting the Moonpool before the MPR now if you just follow the Lifepod messages and generally searched. However, I get the MPR and other items early because soon after getting the Seamoth (which is where I am now in my new Experimental game) I do a dive down to the Degasi base in the Jelly Shroom Caves. Likely will follow that up with a trip to the Bulb Zone wreck. It's in the Aurora Rad Zone but not that deep. Lots of good frags there including the highly desired Modification Station.
    I agree, the Beacon blueprint should be changed back to Copper.

Even with a Scanner Room, I have made exactly 1 Beacon. Partly because I ran out of Silver after that. But even when I get more Silver, I have to think of where it's going. Lots of tools now need a Wiring Kit or Advanced Wiring Kit, 2 Silver each. Each base will need a bunch of Silver. I will likely make 1 more Beacon to mark my 4-Biome Base, then carry one to drop somewhere I want to soon return to. Or I will just record its location.

This could hurt deep exploration, as I've seen videos where a lot of Beacons were used. It's certainly going to need more preparation.
    Warzouz wrote: »
    More lead ? We are already overwhelmed by Lead. I'm trashing them by dozens even if I use a Nuke power plant.
    There's the very early game when you need a bit of Lead for the Rad Suit and a Foundation or two. Because it's in Sandstone, that could take a while. Then every time you find Lead, it's not Silver or Gold and a bit of a nuisance. Then later need 1 Lead for the Seamoth and Foundations for more bases. Even later more for the Cyclops. Then it's just for the Nuclear Reactor and Fuel Rods, as well as more Foundations.

One possible solution would be to drop Lead from Sandstone. Replace it with several Titanium in the blueprints that currently have it. Or add another process or two to the Fabricator, where Lead can be extracted from a piece of Metal Salvage. Or 4 Titanium can be processed into 1 Lead, representing focusing on trace amounts of Lead.

Comes down to the same thing: effective removing Lead as a gameplay factor. But it's really only a factor early in the game. Hard to get the first few needed. Afterwards likely in greater supply than needed and requires stockpiling somewhere.
    adel_50 wrote: »

Beacons aren't intended to be craftable early in the game I don't use them until I have the prawn suit and relax its not like 1.0 will drop tomorrow?

I *still* disagree with removing the beacon from beginning of the game crafting. Before they required a blueprint for the beacon, we'd tell new players to craft a bunch of beacons and never leave home without a couple. This allowed you to mark wrecks or other resources while you were out exploring. When they made the beacon require a blueprint, I thought that was a TERRIBLE idea, and I haven't changed my mind about that. They actually *DO* give the beacon recipe early enough in the game that players could be expected to start making beacons relatively early on. If I recall correctly, when we complained about them making it require a beacon, the DEVs said we'd find the recipe fairly early on. The change to beacons to make it require silver was a random thought from the DEV's to find some use for silver after they ripped it out of all the recipes and we had stacks and stacks of silver with nothing to do with it. I have no doubt they'll change the recipe back to using copper wire as long as we continue to remind them--hence me talking about it again...and again...and again. :)

I thought you couldn't swap out O2 tanks anymore like we used to? Did they reverse that change? I haven't tried in a long time.

As long as I get a re-breather and a high capacity tank, I'll dive the Degasi base in the jellyshroom caves with just a Seaglide. Same with the big wreck near Lifepod 17 (Seamoth bay?). But I know my way around that wreck really well by now so it's not as perilous for me as it used to be. Love my ultra-high capacity tank, though, even if it makes me slow.

The nuclear reactor itself doesn't require lead anymore, just the rods. Strange.

I always avoided a Scanner room before because it was so hard to get any use out of the list, and because of how it marked spawn points for things instead of where things actually were. Oh, funny thing just happened. I built my base near a kelp forest, and just today built a scanner room. Along comes a Stalker that promptly plucks out my camera drones and starts playing with them! Had to chase it off with my knife to get my drones back, lol.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Hopefully with the extra time the devs have given themselves, they can sit down and do a proper balance pass. Subnautica has always had a poor balance of resources, hopefully they can iron that out before release.

Recipes are part of the problem, but the bigger problem IMO is the randomness in the resource drops. Randomized resource drops is a cheap trick used to pad game time without adding meaningful gameplay. Having each resource node provide only one resource eliminates the annoyance of random drops and the problem of ending up with a bunch of unneeded resources. If you don't need something, you don't need to gather it.

Back on the topic of recipes, disposable or frequently constructed items should not require scarce resources unless they are very powerful and/or endgame items. Right now everything except titanium and renewable items (fish, plants, salt) are relatively scarce until the PRAWN suit with the drill becomes available.
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    I thought you couldn't swap out O2 tanks anymore like we used to? Did they reverse that change? I haven't tried in a long time.
    You can't draw oxygen directly from tanks in your inventory. However, you can swap, by drag-and-drop. Don't even need free inventory spaces. Works with all PDA displays. Easy now to swap tanks, helmets, and the rest of your gear.

For all tanks, they need to be charged/recharged by swapping into the paperdoll when on the surface or in a base or vehicle. A charged tank will stay charged in inventory or in a locker but will not charge from empty there. When you swap identical items, the removed copy becomes the right-most/lower of the ones in inventory. So always pull the one on the upper left into the paperdoll when under 45s of oxygen.
    As long as I get a re-breather and a high capacity tank, I'll dive the Degasi base in the jellyshroom caves with just a Seaglide. Same with the big wreck near Lifepod 17 (Seamoth bay?). But I know my way around that wreck really well by now so it's not as perilous for me as it used to be. Love my ultra-high capacity tank, though, even if it makes me slow.
    I go with the Ultra High Capacity Tank (180s) too, sometimes with 1 spare, along with the Swim Charge Fins, but the Modification Station is needed for them. (Thus the Bulb Zone wreck dive below.)

With the High Capacity Oxygen Tank (90s), I commonly use 2 spares to safely explore deep and wrecks. Did the wreck near Lifepod 17 and that one has so many rooms and twists I did 5 or more dives to it even with 315s of total oxygen per dive. That one wreck can get you the Battery Charger, the Mobile Vehicle Bay (maybe), the Seamoth, the Scanner Room, the Laser Cutter, and the Propulsion Cannon. And 2 PDAs and a Natural Selection 2 poster. :)

And I'll take the 2 spares again when I take the Seamoth to the Degasi base in the Jelly Shroom Cave and later the Bulb Zone wreck. Bulb Zone you really need the spares as it's under 100m but in the Rad Zone, so you can't use the Rebreather. At least the Seamoth can be parked nearby. Have to be careful as there's a lot beasties in the area.
    The nuclear reactor itself doesn't require lead anymore, just the rods. Strange.
    Some of the blueprint changes are strange.
    I always avoided a Scanner room before because it was so hard to get any use out of the list, and because of how it marked spawn points for things instead of where things actually were. Oh, funny thing just happened. I built my base near a kelp forest, and just today built a scanner room. Along comes a Stalker that promptly plucks out my camera drones and starts playing with them! Had to chase it off with my knife to get my drones back, lol.
    The early Scanner Room is a necessity now I think. Else it will take too long to find enough Sandstone and maybe even Quartz. Just have to put up with it showing some empty spawn points, although I have seen that slowly change in the past.

Workaround to select the lower items on the scan list: The list is rebuilt when a Scanner Room is created. Or when the program has restarted and a save reloaded. That way I can select Sandstone and Quartz.

For some reason, one of my camera drones keeps moving off and I have to keep bringing it back. And I don't think it's Stalkers in my case. Couldn't communicate with 1 drone, so I pulled out the 4 range upgrades, disassembled the Scanner Room, and rebuilt it. At least now I can connect to both drones.

I *still* disagree with removing the beacon from beginning of the game crafting. Before they required a blueprint for the beacon, we'd tell new players to craft a bunch of beacons and never leave home without a couple. This allowed you to mark wrecks or other resources while you were out exploring. When they made the beacon require a blueprint, I thought that was a TERRIBLE idea, and I haven't changed my mind about that. They actually *DO* give the beacon recipe early enough in the game that players could be expected to start making beacons relatively early on. If I recall correctly, when we complained about them making it require a beacon, the DEVs said we'd find the recipe fairly early on. The change to beacons to make it require silver was a random thought from the DEV's to find some use for silver after they ripped it out of all the recipes and we had stacks and stacks of silver with nothing to do with it. I have no doubt they'll change the recipe back to using copper wire as long as we continue to remind them--hence me talking about it again...and again...and again. :)
    Completely agree. I found a bunch of the Beacon frags near the debris field about loc (-167,-37,-222), but I don't know if some frag locations are randomized. But I didn't find that out until I had played for a few hours. And then I saw the Beacon blueprint still needed 1 Silver. At least it isn't a Wiring Kit.

Even with the Beacon blueprint changed to 1 Copper and 1 Titanium, Beacons will be in tight supply until the player either stockpiles it in a larger base (likely needing the MPR) or find out about the Sea Treader's Path and the outcroppings they stir up.
    edited October 2017
    Okay, the ratios of metals in Sandstone is just wrong. I'd need to test a lot more to be sure, but informally it appears to be about 50% Lead, 30% Gold, and 20% Silver. Lead is at least 40%. I know a few pieces of Lead are vital early in the game, but having Lead at such a high rate is crazy.

EDIT: Actual numbers from a swimout guided by the Scanner Room set to Sandstone.

Found 20 Sandstone. Extracted 8 Lead, 6 Gold, and 6 Silver. That's 40% Lead, 30% Gold, and 30% Silver.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Okay, the ratios of metals in Sandstone is just wrong. I'd need to test a lot more to be sure, but informally it appears to be about 50% Lead, 30% Gold, and 20% Silver. Lead is at least 40%. I know a few pieces of Lead are vital early in the game, but having Lead at such a high rate is crazy.

EDIT: Actual numbers from a swimout guided by the Scanner Room set to Sandstone.

Found 20 Sandstone. Extracted 8 Lead, 6 Gold, and 6 Silver. That's 40% Lead, 30% Gold, and 30% Silver.

I remember seeing something about the ratios of the items in outcrops the increase of lead drop rate might mean that there're alot recipes will require lead at least that's what I think
    BTW, another 3 blueprints in the current Experimental (54602) needing Silver:

Creature Decoy: Fabricator: 3 Titanium + 1 Wiring Kit

Power Transmitter: Habitat Builder: 1 Silver + 1 Titanium

Bioreactor: Habitat Builder: 3 Titanium + 1 Wiring Kit + 1 Lubricant

One thing I'd like to point out that with multiple sources of mats and multiple uses, it's not surprising we end up with excess in some mats. Balancing this out is hard. I just feel the balance was better in Experimental at the beginning of September. The pacing mat switched between Gold, Silver, and Copper then. Obviously UWE had to make changes from that. But I wish they could recapture some of that balance, tough as that is.

In the last week, in my new Experimental game, there are some issues early game with not enough Lead, Copper, and Gold, but soon the need for Silver overwhelms all. And then being very careful using Silver means the other mats accumulate and never become pacing mats as searching for Sandstone for Silver also yields more than enough Gold and Lead, as well as enough Copper from Limestone near the Sandstone. Quartz can be tricky until enough caves are searched, as it is mostly now in caves; there's also less Quartz used in making bases.

Late early game and after other mats like Diamond, Magnetite, Lithium, and Aluminum Oxide are needed, but I usually get enough of them in 1 or 2 trips, often when exploring new locations. Titanium and the other mats I usually find enough while out on other trips. It's really only for Silver that I have to plan to do explicit resource sweeps.

But as I mentioned, this sort of situation is almost unavoidable. And if I really think I have too much of bycatch mats, there's always the Trash Can. Or piling them in a low spot on the sea floor.

I remember seeing something about the ratios of the items in outcrops the increase of lead drop rate might mean that there're alot recipes will require lead at least that's what I think
    Besides the 2 Lead each in Foundation and Rad Suit, there are single Lead in blueprints I already know about (Seamoth, Modification Station) and likely more elsewhere I've not yet discovered (Moonpool, Cyclops, PRAWN), but AFAIKS no where near the need for either Gold or Silver. I'm 16.5 hours in and I've stockpiled 22 Lead.

For my main base near the Grand Reef at the confluence of 4 biomes, I have most of the mats I need already, including 8 Lead for 4 Foundations, leaving 14. I will also need 6 Silver, 1 for Beacon, 2 for 2 Solar Panels, 2 for Battery Charger, and 1 for a Medkit Fabricator. I have 5 Silver stockpiled, so I would have to do another Silver gathering run, or remove some items from my first base. Either way, after setting up that base, I'm going to be searching for more Silver just to have a reserve.

I still have to find out the latest blueprints for the Moonpool, Cyclops, PRAWN, and many of their upgrades, so I imagine I will need more Lead. But I think I will be fine for Lead just from having to search for Silver.
    edited October 2017
    The bioreactor recipe used to be 4 titanium and 1 lubricant. My first reaction to this recipe change making it require a wiring kit is to declare the game hopelessly broken. Before the power re-balance, I'd usually build 3 bioreactors in my deep bases. At only 4 titanium and 1 lubricant each, they were practically free. Now, though, that same amount of power will cost me SIX SILVER. That's insane. And, as you just reminded me, I will still need a silver for the beacon and another couple of silver for my battery charger. I didn't usually build a Medkit Fabricator in any of my bases because I'd usually stockpiled a ton of medkits just from the Life Pod 5 one. But I definitely notice myself taking more damage from everything these days. There are so many crash fish about they seem impossible to avoid now.

I hope the DEVs really are planning to add a scroll bar to the Scanner Room as someone suggested. If I can use the Scanner Room to find as much Silver as I need now for all these recipe changes, it might not be so bad. But, wow, telling me the bioreactor takes 2 silver now. That's such a huge change for me... I was just about to build a new base. With my five silver I found in a huge cave, I thought I was rich! I thought I had spare silver. Now, I find out I'm still short. *sigh* :(