Sub 2/DLC

seadragon_lit7seadragon_lit7 Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231354Members
I know the developers are already working hard on this game and it is an amazing game it really is. But I think I think I have a great idea for a Subnautica two or a DLC. You would play as Degasi members and their experience on the planet 456B all the way up to their last PDA entry and the accident.

Comments

• NecrovoreNecrovore Twisty Bridges Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231359Members
    I wouldn't mind seeing those events as a movie or ingame cutscene, but I would prefer not to play it as a game. Far too long a span of time if you pay attention to the dates. As a first game it might have worked, but considering how little area they were actually able to explore in the months of time they spent before that final incident, it would be a butchered version of Subnautica without the sandbox options and with a very restrictive storyline.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Plz, no DLC's. Or prequels. Those are two of the worst things in game creation, combining them...

*shudder*
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I know the developers are already working hard on this game and it is an amazing game it really is. But I think I think I have a great idea for a Subnautica two or a DLC. You would play as Degasi members and their experience on the planet 456B all the way up to their last PDA entry and the accident.

They're planning on an expansion. Not sure what type or how long it will take.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Plz, no DLC's. Or prequels. Those are two of the worst things in game creation, combining them...

*shudder*

There's a DLC planned already
  • SubnauticaDragoonSubnauticaDragoon Canada Join Date: 2017-09-17 Member: 233098Members
    I prefer the idea of expanding the current game than abandoning all the work on it to do a subpart "new game".

New story is great for Story-driven game.
    Subnautica is mechanic-driven (and lore-driven at best), increase the number of mechanics, improve how they work together, and (to me) it's more interesting than wasting 50% of a developers' time trying to remake the same stuff with different texture.

Whether or not it's a paid DLC, I pay for quality. Do your game right and I have paid ~50 buck for a game that do not have ridiculously expensive game engine or 500 developers behind),
    I may pay less for the DLC itself thought.

I agree, expanding the game rather than making up a new story with different characters. I'd prefer to see new base addons, new plants and creatures, new bionomes, new equipment and items, and more customizable items like changing the colours on beds and so on.

Although it would be cool if a side story could be created, maybe getting the dlc cuases a blocked path to become open leading to a new mini map and story.

One example that comes to mind is fallout series, how buying a dlc would expand the world and story.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    They have plans for an expansion pass. But for now. Let them finish the game. Review the feedback, make updates that fixes somethings in the feedback (bugs etc) then expansion pack stuff that adds major things. Also a prequel? The game isn't even finished!

I don't really think there's much room in SA for prequel stuff, unless they had you in the Precursor-era and you took the role of a researcher or something; then they'd have the floor for an entirely different game there. I don't see something like that happening, and the Degasi crew doesn't really have enough room to go about giving the player the freedom of choice and movement that makes Open World games so successful and liked, so that'd be a no-go as well.

So I'd see it as some DLC's and maybe an expansion scattered about for the next few years, and then they announce plans for a Subnautica 2 a while after that.
  • SubnauticaDragoonSubnauticaDragoon Canada Join Date: 2017-09-17 Member: 233098Members
    I think the most attractive part about subnautica isn't the story it self but the lore and history of the planet your on.

A prequel following the last precursors on how they ended up dying or leaving. With a prequel like that the devs could just reuse the already built world minus the wrecks and crashed ship.

It would really drive the lore of the world and be a lot of fun to see how things came to be in the game we play now.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Why would they take the time to make a whole other game? Survival games don't need sequels, and it would be unoriginal by then. By that time, Subnautica would have already worked.

And also, DLC will probably happen, not a Second Game. Survival games don't work well with sequels if you're talking story was driven or just regular.
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    I prefer the idea of expanding the current game than abandoning all the work on it to do a subpart "new game".

Subnautica is mechanic-driven (and lore-driven at best), increase the number of mechanics, improve how they work together, and (to me) it's more interesting than wasting 50% of a developers' time trying to remake the same stuff with different texture.

It's a terrific piece of work right now no doubt - but personally I'm hoping for the addition of many story based side-quests overlaid on the existing mechanic-driven substrata. There are enough loose threads in the PDA narratives to inspire many good side-quests. And if these were designed carefully and economically then there shouldn't be a great need to remake more stuff.

Sorry @Sam_Starfall. Re-reading you post properly I see we're actually in agreement on expansions before remakes.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    They have plans for an expansion pass. But for now. Let them finish the game. Review the feedback, make updates that fixes somethings in the feedback (bugs etc) then expansion pack stuff that adds major things. Also a prequel? The game isn't even finished!

I don't really think there's much room in SA for prequel stuff, unless they had you in the Precursor-era and you took the role of a researcher or something; then they'd have the floor for an entirely different game there. I don't see something like that happening, and the Degasi crew doesn't really have enough room to go about giving the player the freedom of choice and movement that makes Open World games so successful and liked, so that'd be a no-go as well.

So I'd see it as some DLC's and maybe an expansion scattered about for the next few years, and then they announce plans for a Subnautica 2 a while after that.

That what I meant, I didnt suggest a prequel I just said it shouldn't be thought of until after the game is finished

I think the Degasi narrative is currently thin enough to give room to maintain a nice sandbox style game, but guided with certain optional but rewarded goals (e.g. following their base construction sequence, Bart's research goals etc.)

Also worth noting is that the beauty of a sci-fi setting is that it gives you a lot of flexibility to reinterpret events in unexpected ways (e.g. Battlestar, Matrix, District9 .... well, all of 'em really). So far we only know what the Degasi crew have decided to record - their full story may have been surprisingly different.

It's also worth noting that we don't know for sure if they're all actually dead yet, so even a Degasi-centred sequel is possible.
    Well, we know they didn't hatch Sea Emporer eggs, so they didn't cure the Carar that way - how would they mitigate the effects of the deadly disease?
    @0x6A7232

Turns out Bart Torgal's research came up trumps with a pro-biotic! He engineered it from another micro-organism they could inject to compete in their bloodstreams with Cararr.

Unfortunately, it doesn't cure it. Trouble is that it's a deepwater organism so they relapse quickly in shallow waters. Now they're doomed to build ever deeper as they sicken. They're looking pretty green round the gills by the time you come and rescue them.
    edited September 2017
    @0x6A7232

Actually, the real story as told to me, is that Bart worked out their only hope was to freeze themselves until Altera could safely get a rescue team in. Problem with this idea is you tend come out all mushy after the defrosting process. Anyway, Margurit stumbled across a new Precursor portal (just over the edge of the Void cliff when she was Mongolian-wrestling a Ghost Leviathan). They all jumped in their Cyclops and as luck would have it they got zapped into the Arctic Biome. Bart was able to synthesise the anti-freeze proteins from the blood of the fearsome Ice Leviathan. You discover them chilling out in their arctic habitat base - the power off - now flooded and all frozen solid. Release the robo-crabs!
    edited September 2017
    @0x6A7232

No, no, that's not right at all!

I'd just like to point out The Torgal Corp is well known for employing sentient AI computer viruses to spread misinformation about their agents activities and I can attest that what actually happed was .. lkYpoIOd498985kvdk*# [system corrupted ... press Alt-Delete to resume]
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    @0x6A7232

Actually, the real story as told to me, is that Bart worked out their only hope was to freeze themselves until Altera could safely get a rescue team in. Problem with this idea is you tend come out all mushy after the defrosting process. Anyway, Margurit stumbled across a new Precursor portal (just over the edge of the Void cliff when she was Mongolian-wrestling a Ghost Leviathan). They all jumped in their Cyclops and as luck would have it they got zapped into the Arctic Biome. Bart was able to synthesise the anti-freeze proteins from the blood of the fearsome Ice Leviathan. You discover them chilling out in their arctic habitat base - the power off - and now frozen solid.

Is this cannon or are you just pretty good in improvising sci-fi snippets?
    edited September 2017
    Sorry to cause confusion, I was meaning to answer to 0x6A7232's question above.
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    @0x6A7232

Actually, the real story as told to me, is that Bart worked out their only hope was to freeze themselves until Altera could safely get a rescue team in. Problem with this idea is you tend come out all mushy after the defrosting process. Anyway, Margurit stumbled across a new Precursor portal (just over the edge of the Void cliff when she was Mongolian-wrestling a Ghost Leviathan). They all jumped in their Cyclops and as luck would have it they got zapped into the Arctic Biome. Bart was able to synthesise the anti-freeze proteins from the blood of the fearsome Ice Leviathan. You discover them chilling out in their arctic habitat base - the power off - and now frozen solid.

Is this cannon or are you just pretty good in improvising sci-fi snippets?

I think he's pretty good at improvising sci-fi snippets. Although it would be cool if official.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    That Warpgate would be huge to fit the Cyclopes.
    edited September 2017
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    That Warpgate would be huge to fit the Cyclopes.

*sigh* .... approaching the huge warpgate:

"I think she canna make it through Cap'n!" Marguit objects, in an uncharacteristic Scottish brogue. Finally Paul Torgal looks up from his PDA, having reached a timely end-game conclusion in Patrician CXXVIX. "Here, we all need to take these. They're SODEs*", he smiles wryly. "We always find a way to feed them to our prospective clients just before a contract signing." Holding out his hand there glistens three blue pills, each embossed with that familiar family 'T" .

Then, only with a prolonged scaping, groaning, tearing, shrieking and shuddering of protesting plasteel do they ease their Cyclops through the huge warpgate. Bart now, for the first time ever in his life, voices his approval of Suspension of Disbelief Enhancers*

*[NOTE: 'SODE (TM)' and 'Suspension of Disbelief Enhancers' are patented IPs registered to Torgal Ethical Enterprises Co. PTY. LTD. under Trans-Galactic pharmaceutical copyright code 4571B clause 18, all rights reserved]
    Ran out of blue pills ...

g4cpgx59hsti.jpg
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    @seadragon_lit7 very nice idea.
    the freakin aurora wouldnt be there, instead, the Degasi, maybe fully explorable ; )
    it could be bloody great ! meeting the Degasi survivors on the floating Island, helping them working out the Degasi-survivor-main-base, maybe doing quests for them, then maybe see them dying, being alone again, then maybe finding someone else.
    plenty opportunities to make Subnautica great again
  • FearXIFearXI Join Date: 2017-08-21 Member: 232529Members
    edited October 2017

Whether or not it's a paid DLC, I pay for quality. Do your game right and I have paid ~50 buck for a game that do not have ridiculously expensive game engine or 500 developers behind),
    I may pay less for the DLC itself thought.

I agree, expanding the game rather than making up a new story with different characters. I'd prefer to see new base addons, new plants and creatures, new bionomes, new equipment and items, and more customizable items like changing the colours on beds and so on.

Although it would be cool if a side story could be created, maybe getting the dlc cuases a blocked path to become open leading to a new mini map and story.

One example that comes to mind is fallout series, how buying a dlc would expand the world and story.

Just hit me. We escape the planet with our little rocket ship and start our journey home.
    We send out a message to "home" "I'm alive and left 4546B. Heading home."
    On the way some solar event happens and we're forced to crash land on a new planet.
    Later we find out it's one of the Precursor core worlds ravaged by Carar.
    No ones alive but some wildlife and their old tech.

Oh and to add to the survivors.
    We'll never find them since there was a small island where the Aurora crash landed and killed the only survivor, Maida.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Kostriktor wrote: »
    plenty opportunities to make Subnautica great again

Dafuq you mean "again"? Subnautica's already great.