Has the 3D map on the Seaglide really been there this whole time?

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
In the latest experimental build, when you turn on the Seaglide light, there is a very large 3D map above the Seaglide. Has that 3D map been there this whole time?

Was it smaller?

Comments

• NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    It wasnt there forever its been there for a while tho, like a year.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I think it is really useless, takes up space (honestly this is true for me, it gets very annoying), and I have heard it may cause lag problems, among other causes as well.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017
    In the latest experimental version, I think it is at least 4 larger than the tiny small decorative version that was there before. Due to its size, I think this is a brand new feature they are trying to add for the 1.0 release. I thought they were "Feature Locked". But this new Seaglide map is so large, I could almost call it a brand new feature. It only seems to be there when you turn the light on. But once it is turned on, it is quite large and blocks / obscures your view. In my opinion, it makes it hard to see the environment and really ruins immersion. I think they are trying out making the map a new fancy feature that maybe the player can use to help them navigate the environment. But it is so large and "in your face" that I really just want to find a way to turn it off.

Please, DEVs, give us the option to turn it OFF!!

I realize it is probably only a half-finished feature and that I should wait until it is done. But, man! It's ugly in its current half-finished state. :)

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I've never had a use for the seaglide hologram. I feel like it just kinda gets in the way and should be removed, or at least be toggleable.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    garath wrote: »
    In the latest experimental version, I think it is at least 4 larger than the tiny small decorative version that was there before. Due to its size, I think this is a brand new feature they are trying to add for the 1.0 release. I thought they were "Feature Locked". But this new Seaglide map is so large, I could almost call it a brand new feature. It only seems to be there when you turn the light on. But once it is turned on, it is quite large and blocks / obscures your view. In my opinion, it makes it hard to see the environment and really ruins immersion. I think they are trying out making the map a new fancy feature that maybe the player can use to help them navigate the environment. But it is so large and "in your face" that I really just want to find a way to turn it off.

Please, DEVs, give us the option to turn it OFF!!

I realize it is probably only a half-finished feature and that I should wait until it is done. But, man! It's ugly in its current half-finished state. :)

I've never had a use for the seaglide hologram. I feel like it just kinda gets in the way and should be removed, or at least be toggleable.

The map is toggleable if you press the right mouse button you turn it off and turn the lights on pressing it again will turn the map on and will turn the lights off
    For me i see it very useful as it can show you cave entrances and exits and makes able to navigate in them easily and it's also useful for people that are new to the game
    I think it is really useless, takes up space (honestly this is true for me, it gets very annoying), and I have heard it may cause lag problems, among other causes as well.

Not sure where the lag is going to come from it as if this is the case then the scanner room map should do the same as both the sea glide and the scanner room map are identical
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    I kind of wish they'd just axe that 3D map function on the sea glide completely. I have never used it and it gets in the way more often than not. In theory it's a neat little function, but in practice it's more a nuisance than a usable feature.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2017
    As long as one can turn it off and still have the light function, I'm ok with it.

Otherwise I'd prefer it not be there.

As far as "Feature Lock" goes...,

Technically, They are just fiddling with it, so it doesn't really count as something completely new.
    B)
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited September 2017
    While the new map is better. I'd rather have no lag. And the screen to tell me the light is on. With a percent battery indicator. The map is really useless. That map should be on the Cyclops UI. Re-purpose it like this:

572rwycdt2s4.jpg

At least have something like gathering data. To make the portable map worth wild. Like you can download the seaglide's map data to the Scanner room.
    adel_50 wrote: »

Not sure where the lag is going to come from it as if this is the case then the scanner room map should do the same as both the sea glide and the scanner room map are identical
    You're moving in the world. And the map is generating as you go along. It's constantly checking the current location of the player. The Scanner room is a fixed location. There's nothing to draw, except the initial area. That's why it lags.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Pretty sure those maps are in the lod3 bundle which is loaded to memory during game load (basically mini versions of the chunk's terrain I'd assume). The only lag would be creating the terrain gameobject but so many other gameobjects are created, it wouldn't make an impact.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Now that would be cool: Taking holographic images and then displaying them in the scanner room!
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    If you press the right mouse button it switches between having the map on and having the light on.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    If we could press a key on our keyboard to turn it off, great! Then with right click we could only toggle with the light on or off. Not map or light.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    If we could press a key on our keyboard to turn it off, great! Then with right click we could only toggle with the light on or off. Not map or light.

Or have right click cycle between four different options (all off, map only, light only, map and light)?
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited September 2017
    Jamezorg wrote: »

Or have right click cycle between four different options (all off, map only, light only, map and light)?

I'd rather it be a menu option. Cycling threw those options while be chased isn't a good idea. But the choices are perfect.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    While the new map is better. I'd rather have no lag. And the screen to tell me the light is on. With a percent battery indicator. The map is really useless. That map should be on the Cyclops UI. Re-purpose it like this:

572rwycdt2s4.jpg

At least have something like gathering data. To make the portable map worth wild. Like you can download the seaglide's map data to the Scanner room.
    adel_50 wrote: »

You're moving in the world. And the map is generating as you go along. It's constantly checking the current location of the player. The Scanner room is a fixed location. There's nothing to draw, except the initial area. That's why it lags.

Well you can be right but one thing that's preventing it from lagging is that it's one of the few actions that happens every frame that alone will prevent the lag from happening because of it