60hz servers update?

RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
Possible now with the new many cores CPUs and/or 64 bit build?

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Servers are largely single-threaded.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    Only available to Wooza(banned from this fora)
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    kk.. and could anyone that actually knows what theyre talking about comment on that?
    edited September 2017
    Wow nice n clear write-up.
    Maybe if making the 'world update routine' faster by rewriting it is too complicated instead apply bottlenecks, building limitations and such to limit how complex the 'world' can be. the 0/200 building caps could be brought to 100 etc
    Because 60 is really the sweet spot here. For anything that vaguely competitive and fast paced.
    It's one of the number 1 complain from new players getting hit behind covers is it not? that's only the tip of the iceberg.
    -Delay for feedback on hitting or getting hit
    -Superbullets (2 pistol shots during the same update)
    -Weird player to player collision and weird player movement because of the high interpolation
    -1 packets lost has big effects

Also if I may add something unrelated because Im too lazy to make another thread, devs should consider removing Aura from the game or nerfing it until it's at equal value with other upgrades. Because since you made shade hive 1st meta with your extreme halucination buff, parasite has become basically irrelevant and alien gameplay, more dumb.
  • MrStonedOneMrStonedOne Seattle Join Date: 2013-12-19 Member: 190297Members
    >Because since you made shade hive 1st meta with your extreme halucination buff, parasite has become basically irrelevant and alien gameplay, more dumb.

I always love how different of an experience different people have.

This is not the experience I've had on the servers I play on. Generally on the server(s) I play on losing out on speed or silence means you die before you can get a bite, and this has to be weighed as a cost when going shade first, where you have to prioritize camping and an overall loss of mobility in order to gain either the extra intel, invisibility, or the extra bite power.

And generally, most skulks choose focus over aura. aura is generally reserved for mid lifeforms to avoid walking into a trap, at the cost of healing bites or extra powerful bites. Even in that case it ends up being a clutch because it deprives the team of a focus fade or a focus lerk.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. The overall lesson here should be that we should never assume our experiences are universal.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    kk.. and could anyone that actually knows what theyre talking about comment on that?

So as Ghoul just said, Server-side is largely single-threaded. Do note that my use of the word "largely" meant that I considered it the primary bottleneck. You can admit you're wrong now ;) .
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    ... instead apply bottlenecks, building limitations and such to limit how complex the 'world' can be.

- limits implemented
    - comm drops a whip late-game
    - server: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot do that

edited September 2017
    .trixX. wrote: »
    ... instead apply bottlenecks, building limitations and such to limit how complex the 'world' can be.

- limits implemented
    - comm drops a whip late-game
    - server: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot do that

Haha funny that late game is exactly when the lag hit the most, 5 gorge biling a base, 10 jetpackers GL rushing a hive, what have you, cant have it all. And notice that's already the way things work right now, you hit 200 servers says nope. It's more a matter of adjusting for the greater good than turning fascist.
    Other thing is the number of buildings per room > salvage code from sentry. And also the the player count per server, anything above 10v10 >> deport that lagfest to the arcade tab or AT LEAST force unranked.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Well, if friendly fire were turned on, there wouldn't be that much GL spam going on on the large servers
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Handschuh wrote: »
    Well, if friendly fire were turned on, there wouldn't be that much GL spam going on on the large servers

"We can reduce GL spam. We have the technology."
    edited September 2017
    Handschuh wrote: »

Unfortunately friendly fire wouldnt solve everything and incidentally would have the potential to have the the opposite effect, not sure. The main issue I guess with GL's is how splash damage (lag) + delay (cheese) + rebound (unpredictable) + high burst (dangerous) + detonate on impact (inconsistent) form almost the perfect combination to outline the weaknesses of the engine/netcode, which is made worst by the fact that structure and player health weren't intended for >7v7 and do not scale. This also makes having many GL less risky because .. there's more of them so less likely to all be reloading so less vulnerable AND more expendable. Then there's also the issue that lag doesnt impact everyone the same (not talking hardware differences), GL jetpack shooting a static target while dodgin around does not have it nearly as hard as the aliens trying to melee them with 3fps. This creates an incentive to look for situation that add lag to your opponent.

• HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2017
    Well, simply said, No, I don't care about lag in that case...

Just one thing... imagine playing on any 10+vs 10+ server on tram... Marines want to Arc Warehouse - 7 Arcs are rolling and the marines have 2+ GLs constantly spamming GLs into the arcs... what can you do as aliens? Baserush of course, but defending Northtunnels feels like a fucked up game...

I think it's a poor designchoice to have the possibility to do splashdamage inside of your own marines like that with that high playerdamage... you blow up a fullhp lerk with onehit, but the marine with 30 hp beside him doesn't die? Even if it would only damage the marines armor would be fine... Anything which involves random "spam" like that is just the antidefinition of "fun" for me.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2017
    @Handschuh Well for starters you can bilebomb and ink and healwave. But yea it's not an easy hold. With or without grenade launchers. Actually in a way I think the scenario you put forth, a flamethrower is way more aggravating than GLs. As 1 flamethrower can cancel all the bilebombs.

But why ignore everything that let up to the situation where aliens LET marines get 7 arcs AND an advanced armory. That's well over 100 tres investment, including observatories and armory blocks and robo. Easily the difference between 0/0 and 1/3 upgrades in terms of resources. If marines got their upgrades _first_ before getting these arcs, then I think it's fair to assume that aliens also have all their lifeforms up at this point, including onos and umbra.

You could just as easily have said, imagine playing on any 10+vs 10+ server on any map, and skulks just come in and xenocide over and over and contaminate... what can you do as marines? Context is missing.

Even in competitive games, where we have FF, do you EVER find yourself in a situation where you worry about splashing on your team mates? Iirc it's like 33% FF, there's nothing wrong with shooting grenades in to your team mates or arcs for that matter in comp. You just medpack him and weld him up in worst case scenario. Hell I'll even shotgun team mates if there's a chance I can make a shot on a lifeform Idc. Now grenadelaunchers are not that common in comp, but it's sure as fuck not because people are scared of the FF.

Add friendly fire, in the grand scheme of things, I don't really care either way. I just wouldn't expect it to solve _anything_ at all.
    edited September 2017
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    solve _anything_ at all.

Not true it would fix the nonsense and braindead aspect of shooting AOE nukes blindly at your teammates without repercussion which feels weird, too easy, broken and unfair.

FF in public games would matter more because less and less accurate meds, more people to med.

I think spamming just takes away any chance to play the game with niveau or skill
    Of course there are options but any kind of situation where GL spam leads to a win is mostly zero fun for the alienside at all.. especially with the flaws the gl provides... dodging it is as weird as dodging spits as marine and the superbig grenade hitbox does the rest

quite some games on pubs are funnily enough won by this because you cannot run from any gl as lifeform...
    Personally i think i can deal with it because I don't wait to see or hear the gl shoot like i did in ns1 but rather I expect when he shoots and dodge like that

but seeing a lot of ppl leave mid-game once marines get several GLs should make you wonder
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is awfully out of topic, sry.

@Handschuh
    I won't go so far as to say it takes away skill. But yes GL spam is frustrating, even in games where they are considered well-designed like Quake!

NS2 is primarily a hitscan game, for better or for worse, and any amount of projectiles will add frustration, whether they work well or not. I don't think there is a good solution to this problem. I'm generally a person that's for removing content that causes too many problems, but in this case, NS2 is already deprived of projectile style gunplay, and I consider that one of NS2's major flaws in appealing to the mainstream.

I do have one radical suggestion though. The railgun exo is insanely frustrating as well. So how about we kill two birds with one stone. Change railgun exo in to a Rocket launching exo (This could radically reduce spam), and remove Grenade launcher and perhaps replace that with something different, maybe even a handheld SINGLE-railgun? Single railgun is considerably less frustrating than dual railgun and you you retain the squishiness of a marine so it's actually killable.

To recap, the benefits of this change is:
    1. Reduce grenade spam, because exos are more expensive and riskier to buy in bulk and non-recycable.

2. Increase the viability of a projectile style weapon.

3. Makes railgunners more squishy and less powerful and actually killable (and ammo dependent! No more rail spamming.).

4. The work is probably not easy with new animations and whatnot, but I will say the railgun code is mostly already there, and the rocketlauncher should just be a slightly modified grenade launcher.
    edited September 2017
    If youre gonna make GL splash friendly fire do the same for mines, sitting on a mine is well.. retarded yet rewarded.