Development of the PDApp

Comments

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    They have a filesystem, you just can't access it without rooting. Source: I rooted my iPhone 4S (totally worth it, that was awesome, almost as much freedom as an Android phone).

Ywp, Apps only have access to their own data. They can't "read from /sdcard/" or anything.

Yeah, sandboxed. IIRC Android does that too now? But with some workarounds, or something, not sure.

Apps have access to all files on /sdcard/ by just accepting a dialog. You can also access other apps' data using an app backup workaround, but it's a bit harder on purpose.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Ok, I didn't know. I'm sorry. In other news, a new update is here! Now you can create an inventory of storage! Just type in what you want to add to the inventory, and press the button(then you will automatically be moved on to the next square). But, you can just press on a button to edit it as well! And, the most exciting thing is, I took a trip to the asset store today, and found an asset entitled Google Go maps. And guess what exciting feature that brings in to the PDapp. The pings tab now has a GPS Map!
    Updated roadmap:

Finish up UI
    Finish inventory
    Add a place saver to pings tab
    Finish photos tab
    Finishdata bank tab
    Finish main HUD
    Make at least three pages of each page supported(except pings, photos, and data bank)
    Add deleting pages function
    add creating pages function
    Emergency mode
    Launch apps from inventory(or turn itinto a checklist)
    Create science tab
    Add page giving credit to the devs
    booting sequence
    Create PDAconnect
    Create PDAconnect page
    create networking
    Create chat system
    Save/load functionality
    Create save/load functionality
    Check for reinitalizings
    Polish
    Implement good suggestions
    Polish main HUD
    Polish all pages
    Polish PDAconnect
    Release
    See if it can always be on top of it all
    See if security can be rerouted to it
    Continued support
    Keep taking suggestions
    Keep improving
    Create a subnautica mod that supports the app?
    Try to get it official recignition.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Recursion wrote: »
    Ok, I didn't know. I'm sorry. In other news, a new update is here! Now you can create an inventory of storage! Just type in what you want to add to the inventory, and press the button(then you will automatically be moved on to the next square). But, you can just press on a button to edit it as well! And, the most exciting thing is, I took a trip to the asset store today, and found an asset entitled Google Go maps. And guess what exciting feature that brings in to the PDapp. The pings tab now has a GPS Map!
    Updated roadmap:

Finish up UI
    Finish inventory
    Finish photos tab
    Finishdata bank tab
    Finish main HUD
    Make at least three pages of each page supported(except pings, photos, and data bank)
    Emergency mode
    Launch apps from inventory(or turn itinto a checklist)
    Create science tab
    booting sequence
    Create PDAconnect
    Create PDAconnect page
    create networking
    Create chat system
    Save/load functionality
    Check for reinitalizings
    Polish
    Polish main HUD
    Polish all pages
    Polish PDAconnect
    Release
    Continued support
    Keep taking suggestions
    Keep improving

I didn't know this was going so fast! My dude, you're working too hard!
    Updated roadmap:

Finish up UI
    Finish inventory
    Finish photos tab
    Finish data bank tab
    Finish main HUD
    Emergency mode
    Launch apps from inventory(or turn it into a checklist)
    Create science tab
    booting sequence
    Create PDAconnect
    Create PDAconnect page
    create networking
    Create chat system
    Save/load functionality
    Check for reinitalizings
    Polish
    Polish main HUD
    Polish all pages
    Polish PDAconnect
    Release
    Continued support
    Keep taking suggestions
    Keep improving

I didn't know this was going so fast! My dude, you're working too hard!

I'm not! Developing isn't actually that slow. Also, This is a fun hobby, and I'm perfectly content to program for an afternoon. for example, the update today, it only took 4 hours or so. And the map on the pings tab was just an asset I found on the unity asset store(great place, when the stuff is free), so I imported the scripts and example project and then just did a bit of jerryrigging to get it to work. Also, in the next update, the camera will actually work! I did a small bit of programming just now and made the camera work(however, I did have to deal with a small version of the skittles bug, where every sprite that didn't have a texture defaulted to what the camera was showing, but that was an easy fix).
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Just thought of something.

When you eventually get this thing fully developed, I would probably have some kind of a link to this thread.

I could see a bunch of people thinking this is just a lazy Subnautica rip-off mobile game. This thread would definitely clear up those questions.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Title it a "fan-made companion app" to clear that up.
    Skope wrote: »
    Just thought of something.

When you eventually get this thing fully developed, I would probably have some kind of a link to this thread.

I could see a bunch of people thinking this is just a lazy Subnautica rip-off mobile game. This thread would definitely clear up those questions.
    Title it a "fan-made companion app" to clear that up.

Yes, I'll do that. Good idea.
    Another update is here! this doesn't do much, only shows if the device is connected to wifi, adds a button which just makes a cube offscreen, and changes how you see the ping map. Also, the camera is now actually a camera.
    Sorry, that zip was massivley buggy, so I just loaded up unity again and fixed it. new zip:
    edited September 2017
    By the way, Would anyone like to draw some art for the PDapp(for the booting up page(as it is booting in normal mode), and for the main HUD and pages)? I would use it in the app, and I wouldn't need it until the polish stage. Also, could anyone test the GPS tab? Just see how accurate it is, and try it in different spots maybe 400 meters away from each other.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    By the way, Would anyone like to draw some art for the PDapp(for the booting up page(as it is booting in normal mode), and for the main HUD and pages)? I would use it in the app, and I wouldn't need it until the polish stage. Also, could anyone test the GPS tab? Just see how accurate it is, and try it in different spots maybe 400 meters away from each other.

When I get home, I may be able to add the app to the files of Bluestacks and test it.

In the middle of class though.
    edited September 2017

When I get home, I may be able to add the app to the files of Bluestacks and test it.

In the middle of class though.

OK, thanks. Also, updated roadmap:

Finish up UI
    • Finish inventory(add checklist function)
    • Finish pings tab(be able to save a certain place)
    • Finish photos tab(be able to save photos)
    • Finish data bank tab
    • Finish main HUD
    • Make at least three pages of each page supported(except pings, photos, and data bank)
    • Add deleting pages function
    • add creating pages function
    • Emergency mode(when PDA is moving fast, and then stops suddenly, reboot in emergency mode)
    • Add page giving credit to the devs
    • booting sequence
    Create PDA connect
    • Create PDA connect page
    • create networking
    • Create chat system
    Save/load functionality
    • Create save/load functionality
    • Check for reinitializings of variables
    Polish
    • Implement good suggestions
    • Polish main HUD
    • Polish all pages
    • Polish PDA-connect
    • implement all art
    Release
    • See if home key can default to it
    • See if security can be rerouted to it
    Continued support
    • Keep taking suggestions
    • Keep improving
    • Create a subnautica mod that supports the app?
    • Try to get it official recognition.
    • Data terminal app for Mac, Linux, and Windows.
    • More tabs!
    edited September 2017
    Not a very big update today, just finishing up the inventory by adding a checklist you can expand to until your phone can't handle it any more, and now you don't press the button to add stuff to your inventory. To add a checkbox, press add checkbox. To edit a checkbox, type what you want it to say into the box, and then press the button. Sorry for my clunky writing, as I'm kind of tired currently.
    Slightly larger update today, The inventory and booting sequence are now finished! The booting sequence plays when you first boot up the App, and now there is a checklist and inventory properly in the inventory. you can add as many items to the checklist as you want, until your device cannot handle it anymore. in other news, the GPS map now shows roads and terrain, and the data banks tab now has one button you can press to bring up the entry on Bart torgal. Hopefully this will expand over time, and you will be able to write your own data bank articles, and view all the Subnautica data bank articles.
    APK:
    edited September 2017
    Also, I'm going to Berlin early tomorrow, So updates will cease until friday. However, on Friday I hope to push out a workable version of the Databank, with all the Subnautica data entries. And maybe I'll do an update on Saturday, Perhaps adding the ability to make your own Databank articles(Which will be send-able via PDAconnect). So, keep this thread alive while I'm gone. And remember, unless I'm dead or there is an apocalypse(Nuclear, zombie, etc), There will be an update, normal time on friday.
    Working on figuring out how to install the apk to Bluestacks.
    Working on figuring out how to install the apk to Bluestacks.

Ok, Thanks. Remember to label it as "The PDApp: A fanmade subnautica companion app". And don't forget to say it's still in development. I don't want bad publicity. Thanks.
    First Impressions:

I like what it's going for, I really do, but the design seems a bit weird so far.
    Am I right to assume it's a placeholder?

Side Note:

I'm not posting it, I meant to add it to the emulator as an app.

Sorry if this reply was rude in any way.

For those who want to, some screenshots:

v3prakv95o2i.png
    60gviuh3o0qn.png
    crjvdqz704aq.png
    First Impressions:

I like what it's going for, I really do, but the design seems a bit weird so far.
    Am I right to assume it's a placeholder?

Side Note:

I'm not posting it, I meant to add it to the emulator as an app.

Sorry if this reply was rude in any way.

For those who want to, some screenshots:

v3prakv95o2i.png
    60gviuh3o0qn.png
    crjvdqz704aq.png
    No, That reply was not in any way rude, @AnomalyDetected , And nearly all the sprites are currently the default unity material, though that should change with all of the polish. Speaking of the sprites, @kingkuma , you did that rather nice profile picture for @phantomfinch , Would you mind pitching in on this? I'll put your name in the credits.
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    jeod wrote: »
    Live thread!

Yes, It is. I hope to do another update today. Would you like to do some art?
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Live thread!

I could do some art.
    edited September 2017
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Live thread!

I could do some art.

Thanks. I probably won't need it until the polish stage, and I might be able to do some of it myself, but I'm really not that good. Just pick something already finished, look at all the things in it and draw art for them, and then upload your art up here as a .png file.
    edited September 2017
    Small update today, the databank has a nice dropdown now, however trying to dropdown(is that a verb? It is now.) the degasi survivors thing does nothing. In other news, the photo tab now has a small button you can press that does nothing, and a place where the photos will be displayed in the future. The booting sequence now has a page giving credit to the Devs. Updated roadmap for this section:
    Finish up UI

Finish inventory
    Finish pings tab(be able to save a certain place)
    Finish photos tab(be able to save photos)
    Finish data bank tab
    Finish main HUD
    Emergency mode(when PDA is moving fast, and then stops suddenly, reboot in emergency mode)
    booting sequence

edited September 2017
    Theres an update today as I was in berlin and there were no updates then, so(imagine I'm saying this very casually), adding and deleting pages is finished, and the main HUD is also finished! Now, you no longer have to press on the buttons to both sides of the scrollbar at the top to cycle through the pages, just press in the scrollbar to change places(It'll become easier to understand when you actually load the app up). To add a page(only inventory is supported, as why would anyone want multiple pings, photos, and databank tabs?) just press on the + button, and select inventory, and that will create a new inventory. Only inventorys that you have created yourself can be removed though. Updated
    roadmap of this section:
    • Finish inventory
    • Finish pings tab(be able to save a certain place)
    • Finish photos tab(be able to save photos)
    • Finish data bank tab
    • Finish main HUD
    • Add deleting pages function
    • add creating pages function
    • Emergency mode(when PDA is moving fast, and then stops suddenly, reboot in emergency mode)
    • Add page giving credit to the devs
    • booting sequence
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    Ohhhh!
    It's going along well!
    Ohhhh!
    It's going along well!

I'm glad you think so, as I was worried people might not like the differing quality's of the updates. I hope to finish the photos tab tommorow, by the way.
    Also, I've decided to downgrade adding and deleting pages to unfinished, as there are a few bugs with it, and I've thought of a much better way to do some things.
    theres not going to be an update today as I have been programming for nearly 4 hours, and am wiped out, and didn't even accomplish much today. Now, I would just like to say this, the reason why all the updates don't bring a large chunk of stuff into the app, is I'm still learning and Some of these things are very complicated(like the databank system and recording photos), and unity doesn't have pre-built assets for a lot of them, so I need to build them from scratch.
    On a completely related note, I would be very interested in collaborating with more experienced developers.