Free Batteries from Repair Tool (updated with Trello Link)

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
The repair tool requires:
1 Cave Sulfur
1 Silicon Rubber
1 Titanium

It's only day 2, and I already have three pieces of Cave Sulfur. Thus, I made three Repair Tools and ejected their batteries. Woohoo! I have more batteries than I can count. Too awesome! :)

Now, I don't need to use copper to make batteries, I'm kinda disappointed to hear beacons use Silver now.

[53730]

I guess I'll get over it. I'll never run out of batteries.

(I'm finding a TON of Cave Sulfur.)

Edit: Just saw this on the Trello:

https://trello.com/c/7JJZqCVE/6655-address-battery-exploit-in-welder

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Now that I think about it, this DOES make copper basically free. At least for the sake of batteries, haha.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Just made the Mobile Vehicle Bay and Seamoth. I still haven't crafted a battery using copper. :)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Sorry, but I don't like this tech glitch. I don't know if it's sarcasm of the tech system or real fun, though.

The devs should soon start polishing the tech tree. For one example they should only produce objects without batteries or power cells and in return strip all objects of the battery or power cell requirement. This would make everything consistent and transparent.

And I can't understand the problem of finding enough copper very much. The latest stable update still has limestones all over the place.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Buddy, you just declared war on Duracell, I'm sure :D
    zetachron wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't like this tech glitch. I don't know if it's sarcasm of the tech system or real fun, though.

The devs should soon start polishing the tech tree. For one example they should only produce objects without batteries or power cells and in return strip all objects of the battery or power cell requirement. This would make everything consistent and transparent.

And I can't understand the problem of finding enough copper very much. The latest stable update still has limestones all over the place.

If you think it is bad that I'm making a half dozen repair tools for the extra batteries... Just wait for my next trick... Making a half dozen Cyclops for the spare power cells. :)

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    zetachron wrote: »

I continue to wonder why the Cyclops doesn't require Power Cells in its construction xD

Well the previous update(s) removed almost every limestone chunk from the Safe Shallows, except those tubes/caves that Mark dubbed the Ridge of Wonders. The rest was scattered about in Kelp Forests and stuff amidst a swarm of cranky Stalkers and a huge pile of Sandstone. Current game I just started with the Cuddly Update the limestone returned once again to the cliffs of the Safe Shallows.

So that's my guess - they're remembering the lack of copper from a lil while ago.
  • ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    edited September 2017
    They should just make it consistent and all vehicles/tools spawn without battery/power cell, and you need to craft the power cells separately.

That way I can still make a cyclops even if I don't have 6 power cells, but it's going to have terrible energy reserves for a while until you can fill all the power cell slots.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2017
    Why bother with all that,
    Just wander around the southwest side of the Aurora, there's enough Batteries and Power Cells in the crates scattered throughout that area to hold you over till you can actually build the chargers.
    (and as long as you stay close to the hull the only thing you have to deal with are a few Sandsharks and a couple of Stalkers)

Also, if you stay on the surface all the way to Lifepod #4, you don't get attacked by anything and you can dive down from there to retrieve stuff.

The only thing I've needed to make with copper so far, are the Computer Chips and there's more than enough in the Safe Shallows for that.

B)
  • JeytavJeytav Denmark Join Date: 2015-04-09 Member: 203191Members
    Well, that's one way of over coming the copper issue another way would be to travel to the sea treaders path and spent 2 minutes there filling your inventory with copper ;)
    Jeytav wrote: »
    Well, that's one way of over coming the copper issue another way would be to travel to the sea treaders path and spent 2 minutes there filling your inventory with copper ;)

The Sea Treader's Path is a deep sea zone though isn't it? Not exactly early game territory there.

Shucks, now I kind of want to go diving down there at the start of the game just for that reason. No seamoth, no seaglide, just me and my pipes.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Well that's gonna be patched real soon. Solution, of course, is to just require a battery for whatever tool or vehicle you make. Cyclops is kind of tedious to build, though, so that might make it even more of a pain. Dunno.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    We are still almost a month away from full release so you never know what's going to change
    Fluffers wrote: »
    ZeddIsDead wrote: »
    They should just make it consistent and all vehicles/tools spawn without battery/power cell, and you need to craft the power cells separately.

They could call it the "Batteries sold separately" update

This would make a great name for an update.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I found in my current Experimental game started last Sunday that the pacing material has changed between Copper, Silver, and Gold. Until now, when it's Quartz.

Can't get Quartz on the Scanner Room, even with 4 range modules. Really need Quartz to make the lots of Wall Lockers I equip my Cyclops with. Quartz now never comes up on the list before that list grows enough to have all entries before 'Q' in the alphabet. But I have set it at times recently to Sandstone, Limestone, and Lithium. Wish I could set it to Uraninite or Lithium now, but they appear to now never come up either.

This game, I've really worked at not using any Gold, Silver, or Copper unless I really need to. Or really any other mat. And going out for Limestone, or harvesting Limestone when primarily searching for other mats likes Quartz, has netted me enough Copper to not worry about it. Don't need Copper for Beacons anymore; they're now made from 1 Silver and 1 Titanium. I have 25 Copper, which would be enough for 12 spare Powercells for the Cyclops.

I currently have 3 spare Powercells, 1 made, 2 found. I think before I make my Aurora exploration with the Cyclops, I'll make 4 more and a few Powercell Chargers and top them up before leaving. Of course, still need a lot of Quartz for the Cyclops, which will likely take a while.

Rezca wrote: »
    The Sea Treader's Path is a deep sea zone though isn't it? Not exactly early game territory there.

Shucks, now I kind of want to go diving down there at the start of the game just for that reason. No seamoth, no seaglide, just me and my pipes.
    I haven't had to hit up the Sea Treader's Path for Copper so far, but I may do so for the other mat in their outcroppings: Lithium.

I've gone there before. The Sea Treaders sometime wander outside the actual biome into parts of the adjacent ones. You just have to search to find them. With a stock Seamoth with 200m max depth, harvesting was tricky, diving down to ~250-280 bottom and cracking the outcroppings stirred up before they sink back beneath the sands. When you get the Vehicle Modification Station and can make the depth module MK 1 and get 300m max depth, it's easy. When you add the Modification Station (frags in the Bulb Zone wreck) and the Swim Charge Fins and Ultra High Capacity Tank, it's really easy.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members

They could call it more general:
    Reasonable tech tree (new: batteries excluded and more)
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    @Jacke Are you searching for quartz at night? I always used to only search during the day, and I always used to be super short on quartz. But actually there is a surprising amount of it in the safe shallows, it just blends in really well with the bushes until night time, when the glow makes it easy to find.

Once I started learning to wait until night for quartz searches, I had enough quartz to build a pretty flashy windowed base before I had to head to the blood kelp for more.

The power update also helped a lot with quartz, since bases need significantly fewer solar panels in the early game now.

I totally agree about the batteries thing, though; I've used the repair tool exploit myself.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    @MaxAstro With the latest update, I was having trouble finding quartz in the Safe Shallows, too. I found a decent amount of it in caves, but very little on the surface. The upper part of the Grand Reef, where you can get to that one wreck easily, is riddled with it, though.

The thing I had trouble with was Aluminum Oxide. It used to be all over the Grand Reef, but I couldn't find any this time around. Where I did find it was in some caves kind of between the Sparse Reef and the Sea Treaders Path. I don't know if these are new or if I just never noticed them before, but it's the only place I've found the AO crystals so far.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2017
    Batteries don't need copper?? But... that's flying into the face of danger! Basic traditional batteries have been made from copper and acid since forever! Like @Kouji_San said, "You can't top the Copper Top!™" Paging @scifiwriterguy, can batteries even be made without copper? And for that matter our Batteries/Power Cells are rechargeable, signifying they are lithium-ion... why then don't they use Lithium in the recipe? These batteries as they stand in game ahould catch fire and destroy the charging stations! :flushed:

Logic-bending aside, there needs to be more of a need to have to make Batteries, and in turn a need for Power Cells. As it stands now you need to craft one Battery to unlock the blueprint for the Power Cell. There are a lot of recipes that need Batteries, but you've likely gained thirty free Batteries after you've visited the Aurora. Which is a shame since Acid Mushrooms are everywhere and they have no other use besides that, so you'll never need to craft a Battery again. And let's not get into how Batt/PC Rechargers also make crafting additional units very impractical.

I feel they should also heavily adjust the recipe to make Power Cells. It's true that in real life smaller batteries make up larger batteries, but the Power Cell is ridiculous even in the realm of videogame logic. Compare the model of the Power Cell to the model of the Battery, it certainly should be able to hold more than two measly Batteries. I would go on record claiming that it should take at least EIGHT Batteries for the recipe. Wait... you think that's too many?

Well, lets compare it to the standard batteries:a 6V lantern battery has four smaller 1.5V batteries inside it, and a 9V battery has six smaller 1.5V batteries inside it. By this logic we can deduce a 12V lantern battery will have eight smaller 1.5V batteries inside it, so our Power Cell should have that many Batteries at least, but not just two tiny ones.

(TL;DR) So, in summary: Acid Mushrooms have too little practical use, we get too many free Batteries/Power Cells from the Aurora, and there's no need to craft either once you get the recharge devices. :pensive:
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2017

Tsk tsk tsk... why not simply *batteries not included?

Such a great 80s classic sci-fi movie... :smiley:
    MaxAstro wrote: »
    @Jacke Are you searching for quartz at night? I always used to only search during the day, and I always used to be super short on quartz. But actually there is a surprising amount of it in the safe shallows, it just blends in really well with the bushes until night time, when the glow makes it easy to find.

I agree it's easier to find Quartz at night. But I've harvested so much Quartz I have to far afield to find it now. The other mat is short supply is...Silver. Making up items for the future used up all my Silver. Fortunately, I had the

Once I started learning to wait until night for quartz searches, I had enough quartz to build a pretty flashy windowed base before I had to head to the blood kelp for more.

The power update also helped a lot with quartz, since bases need significantly fewer solar panels in the early game now.

I totally agree about the batteries thing, though; I've used the repair tool exploit myself.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited September 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Batteries don't need copper?? But... that's flying into the face of danger! Basic traditional batteries have been made from copper and acid since forever! Like @Kouji_San said, "You can't top the Copper Top!™" Paging @scifiwriterguy, can batteries even be made without copper? And for that matter our Batteries/Power Cells are rechargeable, signifying they are lithium-ion... why then don't they use Lithium in the recipe? These batteries as they stand in game ahould catch fire and destroy the charging stations! :flushed:

Logic-bending aside, there needs to be more of a need to have to make Batteries, and in turn a need for Power Cells. As it stands now you need to craft one Battery to unlock the blueprint for the Power Cell. There are a lot of recipes that need Batteries, but you've likely gained thirty free Batteries after you've visited the Aurora. Which is a shame since Acid Mushrooms are everywhere and they have no other use besides that, so you'll never need to craft a Battery again. And let's not get into how Batt/PC Rechargers also make crafting additional units very impractical.

I feel they should also heavily adjust the recipe to make Power Cells. It's true that in real life smaller batteries make up larger batteries, but the Power Cell is ridiculous even in the realm of videogame logic. Compare the model of the Power Cell to the model of the Battery, it certainly should be able to hold more than two measly Batteries. I would go on record claiming that it should take at least EIGHT Batteries for the recipe. Wait... you think that's too many?

Well, lets compare it to the standard batteries:a 6V lantern battery has four smaller 1.5V batteries inside it, and a 9V battery has six smaller 1.5V batteries inside it. By this logic we can deduce a 12V lantern battery will have eight smaller 1.5V batteries inside it, so our Power Cell should have that many Batteries at least, but not just two tiny ones.

(TL;DR) So, in summary: Acid Mushrooms have too little practical use, we get too many free Batteries/Power Cells from the Aurora, and there's no need to craft either once you get the recharge devices. :pensive:
    Tarkannen wrote: »

...But what about the trusty, rechargeable 12-volt Lead-Acid car battery! Also, leaving Lead Acid for the moment, even before Li-ion, we had Ni-MH and Ni-Cd, as well as others before I'm sure.

EDIT: You can see a bunch of other experimental types in the experimental section (after the normal types I listed) here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_battery#Types
    edited September 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    ...But what about the trusty, rechargeable 12-volt Lead-Acid car battery! Also, leaving Lead Acid for the moment, even before Li-ion, we had Ni-MH and Ni-Cd, as well as others before I'm sure.

EDIT: You can see a bunch of other experimental types in the experimental section (after the normal types I listed) here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_battery#Types
    Good reference. Reminded me that Silver-Zinc rechargeable batteries were common on early satellite designs whether the sole source of power or used as storage from solar panels or fuel cells.

As for Subnautica, it's about providing materiel and power challenges to players alongside the other challenges of exploring a hostile aquatic world.

In retrospect, maybe Lithium should have been made the battery element. To replace Lithium in its alloying role with Titanium, there's a lot of possibilities seen here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_alloy

But none jump out at me as the one to pick. There's also two main classes of alloying elements, ones that stabilize the low-temperature Ti alpha-crystal for greater strength. Others that shift it into the normally high-tmperature Ti beta-crystal for less strength but better ductility. Some alloys go for mostly alpha or mostly beta-crystal properties. And other alloys with alloying elements from both classes combined to get just the right middle ground between alpha-stabilization and beta-stabilization for a particular role.

Anyhoo, one or two alloying elements could have been picked. Then we'd have one, two, or three Ti alloys in the game.

Then Copper, Silver, and Gold could have been used as wiring components. Without using Copper in Batteries, it would only be used in Copper Wire. And so on. And so on.

But to put all these into the game now would require massive amount of changes. Mats to gather would have to be moved or renamed. Outcropping proportions would have to be tuned and blueprints adjusted.

All this would be repeating what OWE have been doing the past few months.

Right now in Experimental, it's very close to being well balanced. Recently when I was making things for the Cyclops and setting aside others for the future, Silver again became the element in tightest supply, even running out. At times it's been Copper, others Gold. Currently, I want more Quartz for expected future use. With the Scanner Room and scanning for Limestone and Sandstone as well as once scanning for Lithium, I've been able to get enough Copper and Lithium that I've not done one Sea Treader's Path run for more of them.

The only element that's in overproportion is Lead and even it is close. I've not gathered enough excess of that to fill more than one 48-slot locker. Being careful in what you make and appropriate use of a Scanner Room is working.

And once you get the Swim Charge Fins, the Battery power challenges go away. I have one Battery Charger in my base I use for convenience. I could just use the Seaglide as my Battery recharger, as I expect to do so once I take my Cyclops away from base.

The two remaining power challenges are the Cyclops and then the PRAWN. Those I'm not sure of yet. I've yet to operate the Cyclops away from my base. Recharging its Powercells in a base Powercell Charger takes a long time. Getting the mats for the Thermal Power Modules for the Cyclops and the PRAWN means I've got to descend to the Lost River and finally explore it and below, which I've never done.

But for now, I'm planning on using Powercell spares, which I can afford to make. And the Aurora will provide more of. Near the surface with the Seamoth in the Cyclops, I could use its Solar Power Module to recharge one Powercell.

So as much as I'm a bit alarmed at the power consumption in the Cyclops, especially by Silent Running, I'll have to see how they work out in practice.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    edited September 2017
    garath wrote: »
    Just made the Mobile Vehicle Bay and Seamoth. I still haven't crafted a battery using copper. :)

the Mobile Vehicle Bay requires a powercell in the recipe

i also think tools and vehicles should ether require a battery or powercell as part of the recipe when you make it or be constructed like the Mobile Vehicle Bay or without one
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    garath wrote: »

the Mobile Vehicle Bay requires a powercell and i also think tools and vehicles should ether require a battery or powercell as part of the recipe when you make it or be constructed without one

But you don't see, Infinite batteries means infinite Power Cells. You just need the Third Party, Kelp.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    Recharging its Powercells in a base Powercell Charger takes a long time.

Just use a Seamoth to charge Powercells. Since the moonpool magically can recharge a Ion power cell within 1 minute. They really need to fix that.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    Jacke wrote: »
    Recharging its Powercells in a base Powercell Charger takes a long time.

Just use a Seamoth to charge Powercells. Since the moonpool magically can recharge a Ion power cell within 1 minute. They really need to fix that.

Before they made the mass number of power changes, in the old system, two things:

1. The Moonpool was an instant charge for the vehicle
    2. It took the power from the base in one instant--and usually it was a TON of power.

Now, it seems like the Moon Pool is certainly faster than the Power Cell Charger. But whereas the Power Cell charger presumably takes the full amount of power from the base, it seems like the Moon Pool only takes a fraction of the power. At least, that's how it seems to me.