An Unlikely Tale

Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
Abruptly: FULL, WAKING, COGNITION

You cringe from the harsh clinical lighting of Altera Employee Asset Recovery Unit. The full agony of your 85% body burns floods back to displace all other awareness.
Responding quickly to your crazed screams the nurse attends "Just a moment Sir, just a moment. Yes, you were involved the Athena accident. I'll put you at ease directly."

Promptly and efficiently your Cognitive Neural Interface leads are reconnected (Altera Pat. Pending). Immediately you are reloaded into the blessed watery Subnautica 1.0 Simulation where even the molten lava is only 65 degrees.

Comments

• Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members

A ... year, then?

That can't be... Not with all these tubes still sprouting from you body.
    PAIN... yes still pain ... but not so urgent.
    The roll of the sea still beneath you, and this ... haze... all over the clinic.
    Ah yes.. yes.. the famous Alterra HyperOpiates (TM).

Could any Hell sear a soul more than the world of the burns victim? It's then you feel the full glare of the Alterra HR Manager.

'Ah! So I see from the summary you've taken down the sim's firewall. Yes, clever, big gun. But have you got data yet? No. Have you you even found the others yet? Again, no.'

The voice pauses but the glare persits. Curse that phoney HR eyebrow!

'Forgive the rhetorical line of questioning, but you know full-well: The Precursors want their stolen Assest returned, and we are obliged to underwrite the indecretions of our employees. You know the perpetrators - now find them. With the firewall down we can be hacked. Soon you'll have someone else in there looking. And just let me remind you: Your Alterra Special Economy Occupational Medical* policy wouldn't have even got you into a burns clinic. Alright then. I've got the Directors to authorize you a second week. It's in the Subnautica 0.2 expansion.'

You turn your head towards the three others sharing this tangle of tubes and wires, and you mutter a curse on the Degassi family.
    Well, at least you've still got approximately the right number of limbs.

The nurse reconnects the lead. Once again you drift down and down and down into the Deep.

*[8 out of 10 UW game developers are covered by Alterra Special Economy Occupational Medical and recommend it to you the discerning Consumer]
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    I always thought it would be a simulation. Then again, I'm always paranoid I'm hallucinating and will wake up somewhere else.
    I'm pretty sure Alterra markets a product line helps you suspend disbelief
    Yeah, I looked it up - they are included as a bonus with the medical insurance
  • FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    "...Yes, you were involved the Athena accident. I'll put you at ease directly."

Nice nod to my story there, man. Even if it wasn't intentional.
    Apologies then friend. I saw you have an epic tale, but resisted reading it just for now. I look forward to reading shortly, assuming this thing stays as a cut-scene.
  • FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    Apologies then friend. I saw you have an epic tale, but resisted reading it just for now. I look forward to reading shortly, assuming this thing stays as a cut-scene.

No, No! It's absolutely fine! I really appreciate the recognition, friend!