Cuddle Fish optimization?

CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
Did the cuddle fish update include any optimization? Anything major?

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

It does include some optimizations, but we want to hear what people think how the game is now running for them. :smile:
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    From my test run, the game was a lot more playable, but when I had settings at minimum, resolution at 1600 x 900, etc. I do believe that the game will run beautiful when released though!
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    From my test run, the game was a lot more playable, but when I had settings at minimum, resolution at 1600 x 900, etc. I do believe that the game will run beautiful when released though!

Turn the resolution down. I turned it to 1000x800 or something and it runs WAY better.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members

Turn the resolution down. I turned it to 1000x800 or something and it runs WAY better.
    Let me give that a try
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    1000x800? What kind of weird res is that yo \o/
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The best resolution is 200x1000.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I like my res in 16:9

Hmm, sounded funnier in my head...
    I tried 1000 x 7 something something and it ran really well. I just wish I had that full optimization so that my crap laptop could run it :P
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I like my res in 16:9

Hmm, sounded funnier in my head...

Everything sounds funnier, in YER head.

B)
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    I'll be trying it out this weekend. Curious if the tweaks effect the crashes we've been having.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited September 2017
    I've been having land popping in and out problems with this update. Plus the weird glitch with the Aurora hull and PCF ignoring fog through windows. The optimization feels the same. But I will say the mushroom area works better now. More mushrooms are loaded at once. FPS is holding well. Map loading got weridly worse. The Lost River containment building took forever to load. The inside loaded before the outside. And I'm using an SSD. The Lost River is still bad with failing to load. So I've been screwed swimming threw the void. While heading towards a beacon. The Lava Lake when loading in the PCF gets stuck lost river green. Till you move around more. Than again, could these issue be caused by me not starting a new game file.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I tried playing some tonight, as before the update I had my Cyclops stowed outside the Alien Thermal Plant. I wanted to see how the savedata carried over, and sure enough once I loaded the game up alot of things were not acting right. The SDL was still swimming around the ATP but at one point it just... stopped. It would still move its head around to always face me (which was pretty creepy) and occasionally open its maw to roar, but it just hovered there in midwater, not even bothering to attack me up close...

I tried next to use the ATP portal to return to the Planetary Defense Array and re-travel from the Lifepod 2 entry point, but that only made things worse. All of the forcefields from both the ATP and PDA were intact, but none of the key spawns were apparently reset. In fact as I tried navigating the caves below for a Purple Key, the terrain was discolored and craggy-deformed... it was near-impossible to navigate.

I then tried to just brute force my way back to my base and try the DGR path to the Lost River, but the corruption was getting worse. As I followed the beacon to my GR base, I noticed that the terrain failed to load multiple times. The area would load "squares" of terrain at a time, but most times it wouldn't load properly until I was well past the 'center' of the square. When I arrived at my beacon I was sad to see that not only had the terrain failed to load, but outside of my beacon ping my base and belongings did not exist anymore either. Reloading and warping via console commands just caused the same thing to happen, it's like nothing existed anymore in the GR/DGR... At this point I finally gave up, exited the game and deleted the save folder completely from the hard drive. :pensive:

I realize the game is still in early access, and I'm not really complaining about things breaking between updates - for all I know it had to do with the save file originally being Experimental then downgraded to Stable manually (due to graphic issues in Exp at the time). But it's really frustrating to have to start over again after over thirty hours of game time for that particular save. And I'm aware I could console-command my way back through progress again, but even with doing that I just don't particularly care to start over yet again on a fresh save and let my previous progress be for naught. :neutral:
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I realize the game is still in early access, and I'm not really complaining about things breaking between updates - for all I know it had to do with the save file originally being Experimental then downgraded to Stable manually (due to graphic issues in Exp at the time). But it's really frustrating to have to start over again after over thirty hours of game time for that particular save. And I'm aware I could console-command my way back through progress again, but even with doing that I just don't particularly care to start over yet again on a fresh save and let my previous progress be for naught. :neutral:

If you can zip up your saved game files which are having the issue for download, it would be appreciated.

They live in:
    Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames

They are in a folder called 'slot00XX' (XX being a number). You can identify your saved game via the thumbnail in the folder. Zip up the folder and upload it somewhere like Google Drive, and post the link. It will be very helpful thanks.
    Is anybody else having a problem with the mouse cursor jumping about suddenly?

Every once in awhile mine just hops to another spot on the screen while I'm playing the game.

It's not doing it with any other game I play or in general use of my rig.

:/
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

If you can zip up your saved game files which are having the issue for download, it would be appreciated.

They live in:

They are in a folder called 'slot00XX' (XX being a number). You can identify your saved game via the thumbnail in the folder. Zip up the folder and upload it somewhere like Google Drive, and post the link. It will be very helpful thanks.

I actually ended up deleting that savegame folder, but I will remember to save them in the future. But I don't think it would have mattered much in this case, because the savegame folder was very strange as opposed to its normal behavior. I was curious as to how large the file was before deleting it (and I always delete the folder before starting over... I'm weird in that I always want my savefile stored in slot0000 - simply renaming it makes it disappear from the loading screen).

So anyways I right-clicked, hit Properties and checked the file size... only 147K! I double-checked inside the folder and there were only 4 files listed: gameinfo.json global-objects.bin, scene-objects.bin and screenshot.jpg. The various batch-objects files were gone as well; the CellsCachefolder was there but there were no baked-batch-cells inside it (it was empty). This might explain the reason why my game world was either corrupted or failed to load at all, or maybe why some of the triggers like the forcefields were back on again. :(

Nonetheless, I have restarted again in Stable mode! I'll make sure to back up the savegame folder at points, and also if I feel the need to convert between the two builds. Thanks again to all of the developers for your continued patience and support! :blush:
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members

It does include some optimizations, but we want to hear what people think how the game is now running for them. :smile:

How much does this update improves the performance on xbox?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    adel_50 wrote: »

Did it come to XBone? I thought it was just PC.
    Skope wrote: »
    adel_50 wrote: »

Did it come to XBone? I thought it was just PC.

Yep, just the STEAM PC version for this update so far.

B)
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    For what it's worth, the game is running MUCH better now on my dated system (specs in the spoiler below).

For the first time EVER I was able to swim quite smoothly through the shroom forest with only a single 15 FPS hiccup during the initial area approach. I even built a medium sized base there and the frame rate is a steady 45 in the denser areas and goes up to 60 (which is my set limit) at the biome's edges. In earlier game versions I could never get my FPS there above 20, even with just my character swimming there, no base, no seamoth, etc.
    hf6kj8xdvtjn.jpg
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I was happy to see some little changes like the water not clipping into the cyclops anymore at the surface. Hoping that extends to bases soon. Also noticed that base hatches now animate. Hoping for moonpool ladder climb soon. The polish is coming, slowly but surely.
    edited September 2017
    The game really doesn't run for me. It is improving, but at an extremely slow rate. It isn't fun to play, which is why I still have to make a save and play on it all the way through. It just gets too choppy and slow.

I posted this in another thread, but im going to post it here also. (Is that ok?)
    I do wish for this game to be pushed back enough to allow the developers to polish the game and completely optimize it, and to allow them to finish things that are already planned, instead of forgetting about them, putting them for later, or in the backlog. It seems to me that they really shouldn't aim for the current release date, but that is just me. I agree with everybody's points here. I am not trying to push the developers or anything, they can do whatever they wish; as it is their game, but a game that has been worked on for years can be ruined by an early release. I also saw @scifiwriterguy post that concept earlier in his longer post.
    Last thing, another concern of mine is definitely optimization and making the game run smoother. I am fairly confident that the developers can get it running very smoothly in time, for the most part. The release date is coming up so SOON, and I am just crossing my fingers for everything to be done in time. I really want Subnautica to be a massive success and for millions to be able to experience and love this game, just as we all do! :smile:
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited September 2017

They live in:

I actually ended up deleting that savegame folder, but I will remember to save them in the future. But I don't think it would have mattered much in this case, because the savegame folder was very strange as opposed to its normal behavior. I was curious as to how large the file was before deleting it (and I always delete the folder before starting over... I'm weird in that I always want my savefile stored in slot0000 - simply renaming it makes it disappear from the loading screen).

So anyways I right-clicked, hit Properties and checked the file size... only 147K! I double-checked inside the folder and there were only 4 files listed: gameinfo.json global-objects.bin, scene-objects.bin and screenshot.jpg. The various batch-objects files were gone as well; the CellsCachefolder was there but there were no baked-batch-cells inside it (it was empty). This might explain the reason why my game world was either corrupted or failed to load at all, or maybe why some of the triggers like the forcefields were back on again. :(

Nonetheless, I have restarted again in Stable mode! I'll make sure to back up the savegame folder at points, and also if I feel the need to convert between the two builds. Thanks again to all of the developers for your continued patience and support! :blush:

rik08cdflhmo.jpg

(I wish this was animated)
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Wasn't the release date around the end of October? Plenty of time for polish and optimization. Hopefully they can nail down that XBox save bug, too. If anything will cause the release date to be pushed back, it's that, at least for XBox.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    Wasn't the release date around the end of October? Plenty of time for polish and optimization. Hopefully they can nail down that XBox save bug, too. If anything will cause the release date to be pushed back, it's that, at least for XBox.

Yes the current release date is the end of October and December for xbox
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    edited September 2017

It's not. I haven't been able to get Subnautica to stay running for more than 90 seconds - 2 minutes (new game or old save), since Cuddlefish dropped. Crash to desktop 100% of the time new terrain loads (you move more than a meter or two from your spawn point or leave your lifepod at all other than to stand on top). You broke something serious, and there are other folks in the Bug Forums on Steam with similar problems.

And that's after verifying / deleting cache, reinstalling, etc. And forcing DX9, without which the game never loaded. Old Win7 machines that don't meet the recommended just can't play anymore, now? Would be nice if you updated the minimum specs, then... and maybe a refund. Just saying.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2017
    Performance has massively improved for me, but its a little strange and saddening to see that it somehow got even worse for others :(
    It improved by around 2 frames for me, while other things in the game did get worse...
    edited September 2017
    orobouros wrote: »

It's not. I haven't been able to get Subnautica to stay running for more than 90 seconds - 2 minutes (new game or old save), since Cuddlefish dropped. Crash to desktop 100% of the time new terrain loads (you move more than a meter or two from your spawn point or leave your lifepod at all other than to stand on top). You broke something serious, and there are other folks in the Bug Forums on Steam with similar problems.

And that's after verifying / deleting cache, reinstalling, etc. And forcing DX9, without which the game never loaded. Old Win7 machines that don't meet the recommended just can't play anymore, now? Would be nice if you updated the minimum specs, then... and maybe a refund. Just saying.

I'm not sure I understand...
    If your rig just barely and/or didn't meet the requirements before now, then why did you purchase the game to begin with?

That's like knowingly buying an empty box of cereal from the store, then complaining when you get home that there's nothing in the box.
    smh
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    If your rig just barely and/or didn't meet the requirements before now, then why did you purchase the game to begin with?

That's like knowingly buying an empty box of cereal from the store, then complaining when you get home that there's nothing in the box.
    smh
    Shake your head all you want, but minimum requirements are still a thing.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    orobouros wrote: »

smh

@orobouros
    Old Win 7 machine? Make sure that's updated, especially with you having to force DX9 to load -- older version of Win 7 didn't have DX11, which the game normally runs on. Update Windows. Update your graphics drivers. Try running without force DX9. Post back either way.