Cuddle Fish Update Released - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageCuddle Fish Update Released - Subnautica

Your new best friend has arrived. The Cuddle Fish Update has been released on Steam! This is a Steam update. To be notified when Cuddle Fish is released on Xbox...

Read the full story here

Comments

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Just came back from my doctor. He said I have diabetes. I blame you.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited September 2017
    Man, after 2-ish years of seeing this guy's model floating around, he's finally in game. :)

Good luck @Tarkannen...
  • Ande76Ande76 Heidelberg, Germany Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230840Members
    My life is complete. No but honestly, this is awesome.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    edited September 2017
    Yeah I'll be in the back if anyone needs me... :*
  • IndiranIndiran Chicago, IL Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216827Members
    I always tend to start over when an update comes out but I think it would be safe to continue my current save on this one, yeah?
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    Have a doctor's appointment. When I get back, I shall be hunting my Cuddlefish.

I'm already in love with the bugfixes and sound effect changes. *Amazing* work on those.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    A new update! And I didn't even know about this! I need to check the roadmap!
  • WatchdogWatchdog Czech Republic Join Date: 2017-06-27 Member: 231387Members
    I would say give the Cuddle Fish a few million years and we shall have a new sentient alien species.

Maybe even a friendly one. You know, in a most cuddly way. :-)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    How dare you release this while I'm at work!?!?

No problem. *cough* *cough* I think I'm going home sick RIGHT NOW. :)

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Foxy wrote: »
    Ermahgerd so fluffy

Fluffy?
    mqdefault.jpg
  • skypanderskypander Join Date: 2017-09-14 Member: 233023Members
    With a face only a lonely, ship-wrecked survivor could love! He better not eat all my snacks...
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    They realized this update while I was asleep. Why you gotta do this.

I play on experimental anyway, so I did have the cuddle fish, I just feel they finally fixed the lighting issues. I haven't gotten a chance to play though, so who knows.
  • Midnight97Midnight97 Honduras Join Date: 2017-08-12 Member: 232372Members
    "After weeks without human contact, it is normal to experience psychological discomfort. Research indicates symptoms may be partly alleviated by adopting a pet, or anthropomorphizing an inanimate object."

First thing I thought about when I heard that was Portal's Companion Cube
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    The camera HUDS STILL don't include vital information on them? :(
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Guess this brings up the question: how do I get a fish in Alien Containment that doesn't fit in the inventory out into the general ocean?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    YaaaaaY!!

New STUFFS to do!!

B)
    Michlo wrote: »
    The camera HUDS STILL don't include vital information on them? :(

Post v1.0 perhaps?
    Oh good lord...

The first thing I hear when turning on the PDA...

Alll-Tear-rr-rah

I think I liked it better when it was insulting me.

B)
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited September 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Oh good lord...

Alll-Tear-rr-rah

B)

So did I. But Alterra has to build their brand....

On a more serious note, I've noticed a number of changes in Experimental. Some of these should be in the Ghost Leviathan and Cuddlefish releases for Stable:

Some of the blueprint changes:
    1x Creepvine seed cluster -> 2x Silicone rubber
    1x Creepvine seed cluster -> 1x Lubricant

1x Wiring Kit + 2x Gold + 1x Computer Chip -> 1x Advanced wiring kit

3x Uranite crystal + 1x Lead + 1x Titanium + 1x Glass -> 1x Reactor rod

1x Bleach -> 2x Disinfected water but Disinfected water was changed to +30 water from its old value of +40 water

3x Titanium -> 1x Standard Oxygen Tank
    1x Standard Oxygen Tank + 2x Glass + 4x Titanium + 1x Silver -> 1x High Capacity Oxygen Tank
    1x Fiber mesh -> 1x Fins
    1x Fiber mesh -> 1x First aid kit
    3x Titanium -> 1x Fire extinguisher
    1x Wiring kit + 1x Fiber mesh -> 1x Rebreather
    1x Silicon rubber + 1x Cave sulphur + 1x Titanium -> 1x Repair tool
    1x Battery + 1x Glass -> 1x Flashlight
    1x Diamond + 1x Battery + 1x Titanium + 1x Cave sulphur -> 1x Laser cutter

1x Silver + 1x Titanium -> 1x Beacon

2x Silver + 2x Titanium -> 1x Fabricator
    1x Titanium -> 1x Radio

1x Titanium ingot + 1x Power cell + 2x Glass + 1x Lubricant + 1x Lead -> 1x Seamoth
    3x Plasteel ingot + 3x Enameled glass + 1x Lubricant + 1x Advanced wiring kit + 3x Lead -> 1x Cyclops

Still looking for the Modification Station, Alien Containment, and the PRAWN Drill Arm. Wrecks left to check: aft of the Aurora, Mountains, and Bulb Zone. Also should search the Grand Reef more as well as explore the Deep Grand Reef Degassi base. But there Ghost Leviathans have me being very cautious.

The increase in number of beasties concerned me, especially the packs of everything from Bleeders to Stalkers to Bone Sharks. The Stalkers are all over the "Safe" Shallows. And packs of Bone Sharks can be a greater threat than Leviathans.

BUT I've just made the Cyclops. I'm concerned at its power consumption. Just moving it a bit to park it by my base and playing with Silent Running burned 10% of the stored batteries. That's damn silly charge consumption. For what the Cyclops was designed for, that it has so little endurance is just wrong.

I've made 1 spare Powercell and found 2 more. But at those power consumption levels, it looks like I'm going to need anywhere from 6 to 12 or more spare Powercells to carry on the Cyclops.

So far for recharging Powercells, I've use the Moonpool and the Solar Module on the Seamoth. Drained Powercells on the Cyclops are going to be a pain, especially as you can't get an integral recharging module until you go down to the Lava Zones and find Kyaninte. And I've never been down there, but I think you need the PRAWN Drill Arm to get it.

So prior to that, for recharging it's going to be using the Solar Module on the Seamoth or a bank of Powercell Rechargers in a base, 4 or more to recharge 8 or more Powercells at a time. That's going to be a lot of Powercells.
    edited September 2017
    Anybody else having a problem with constantly falling through their Lifepod #5?

I just closed the game and am about to go back in to see if restarting it fixes the problem.
    :/

Yeah, that fixed it.
    Musta been a little bacteria rather than a BIG Virus BUG.

B)
  • ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    @Jacke Silent Running burns through energy reserves like crazy. Try going on slow speed, it isn't so bad then.

Just try to think of it as active noise cancelling on an epic scale. It is generating an audio-dampening field that is why the huge power drain :D
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    Guess this brings up the question: how do I get a fish in Alien Containment that doesn't fit in the inventory out into the general ocean?

Similarly, how do we get it to stop trying to bite us after we release them? I want a Stalker friend too ;v;
    I mean sure I wouldn't be able to interact with it like this, but I'd totally surround my base with hand-raised Stalkers and Bonesharks to ward off other fauna. (And give me all the stalker teeth I could ever need...)

Oh good lord...

Alll-Tear-rr-rah

B)

I'd be okay with the Allterraaa jingle if it was immediately followed up with the PDA mockingly saying "Great job not dying." as it used to.
    Rezca wrote: »

Similarly, how do we get it to stop trying to bite us after we release them? I want a Stalker friend too ;v;
    I mean sure I wouldn't be able to interact with it like this, but I'd totally surround my base with hand-raised Stalkers and Bonesharks to ward off other fauna. (And give me all the stalker teeth I could ever need...)

Oh good lord...

Alll-Tear-rr-rah

B)

I'd be okay with the Allterraaa jingle if it was immediately followed up with the PDA mockingly saying "Great job not dying." as it used to.

Just leave a couple of pieces of salvage a medium distance from your base in the shallows, then lure a Stalker to it.
    It'll hang out there dropping teeth like crazy.

B)

Oh good lord...

Alll-Tear-rr-rah

B)

Just leave a couple of pieces of salvage a medium distance from your base in the shallows, then lure a Stalker to it.

B)

My current bases are in the middle of the Dunes, and the other in the Sea Treader's Path... How am I going to lure one all the way over there? D:
    That doesn't solve the problem of it biting me, or trying to attack my docked seamoth though... Aaaah I wanna surround my bases with friendly monsters~
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

Oh good lord...

Alll-Tear-rr-rah

B)

I personally love that jingle, but I agree they should add the "Great job not dying" part back
    edited September 2017

Oh good lord...

Alll-Tear-rr-rah

B)

B)

My current bases are in the middle of the Dunes, and the other in the Sea Treader's Path... How am I going to lure one all the way over there? D:
    That doesn't solve the problem of it biting me, or trying to attack my docked seamoth though... Aaaah I wanna surround my bases with friendly monsters~

Lure one near Lifepod #5, they don't attack it.

Then just stop back every once in awhile and harvest all the 'tooths' ya need.

If you leave 3 or more salvage, they are usually to busy fiddlin' with their 'toys' to attack you.

B)

Oh good lord...

Alll-Tear-rr-rah

B)

I personally love that jingle, but I agree they should add the "Great job not dying" part back

Yes please and thank you - I want that AI snark back ;;v;;
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2017
    Skope wrote: »
    Man, after 2-ish years of seeing this guy's model floating around, he's finally in game. :)

Good luck @Tarkannen...

:expressionless:

Even though that monstrosity is now available in the game, and in the Stable build at that (so everyone has it now... sigh), at the very least it's entirely optional to summon into the game. At least they fixed the name to a small degree... it's nowhere near being "cuddly" (I'd imagine with it's slimy moist skin and sinewy tentacles, it would be akin to trying to snuggle with an octopus...) at least the devs have officially acknowledged that it's nowhere within the realm of being "cute" anymore. :sweat:

As for the Cuddlefish (see, I can call it by its official name now! That's progress... right?) I for one, will harvest every Cuddlefish egg I find and store them in my Seamoth Storage Locker. Once I'm sure that all of those spawn are safely contained, I plan to pilot as far into the Void as I can so that the Ghost Leviathans will attack me. They shall then proceed destroy my Seamoth, consume every ounce of biological matter contained within, and whatever might survive will forever be lost unto the Void itself. Death is a small price to pay to make sure the baby Cthulu will never spawn in my world of 4546B. :rage:

On the other hand... maybe I should hatch at least one Cuddlefish to test on. It returns to your side if it's set to do so, right? If that's so, then I'd like to see if they can be targeted with the Propulsion Cannon... it could help me out by being infinite ammo to use against hostile creatures. I could also improve my aim by launching it repeatedly at Crashfish, Crabsquids, Warpers and Ghost Leviathans... I'm sure they would 'enjoy' having him come visit them for company. :wink: