DOWNWARD SPIRAL - A Subnautica Story

Comments

• CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    Yep, still waiting.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Really big, super huge bump.
    bbuy3e17lway.png
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited September 2017
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    edited September 2017
    Also lowkey headcanon:
    *whispers* CTO Yu is female Morgan Yu from Prey you can't convince me otherwise byyyyyyyyyye
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    WOOOOOO! New chapter for Downward Spiral is here! *spins happily in place before crashing into the wall*

Ow...! So anyways! A new look at the fate of the Aurora's crew, but this time from the Engineering crew! I'm really fascinated with the lore of the story, and I can't wait to see the fate of our new victim survivor as she tries to help turn the fate of the Aurora. I'm really pleased to see a story focused on a female executive officer, similar to Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager . :grin:

The writing is as crisp as ever, with subtle nods to everyday life onboard the Aurora, and how technology prefaces everything. I have to say, my favorite line has to be this:
    Åkerman wrote:
    "We aim to please. Barring that, to wound," Åkerman says with a grin.

Clever with just a touch of dark humor, it made me giggle a bit. @scifiwriterguy, keep up the hard work! I and everyone else around here appreciate your stories and love how you spin them. I for one am eagerly awaiting to see what the next part brings into play for the beleaguered crew of the Aurora... :blush:
    Also lowkey headcanon:
    *whispers* CTO Yu is female Morgan Yu from Prey you can't convince me otherwise byyyyyyyyyye

I'm still holding out that she's of Chinese descent, and her family name is Tani... which would then make her "Yu Tani" and would be an additional delicious reference to another sci-fi space travel odyssey I hold near and dear to my heart... :innocent:
  • WJP123WJP123 Join Date: 2017-09-27 Member: 233252Members
    I'm new here on new grounds, came to know this place through Subnautica. And I came to know Subnautica through an episode of an old version of Subnautica, so everything was different for me. I've wrote one chapter to a Subnautica story I've come up with, which partially describes what it felt like for me playing the game for the first time, but with my own little twist. I'm looking for recommendations and ideas for the future of the story. The story will also progress when I've progressed in game. I've talked long enough, here it is:

Chapter One
    My name is Jake Charlie Greeman. I was sent to do terraforming missions on a new planet for humans to colonize. I was on an Altera Corporation space shuttle named: “The Aurora.” To get to our destination faster, we planned to enter orbit on planet 4546B and slingshot to our destination. While in orbit, the Aurora was struck by a mysterious energy pulse. The Aurora headed straight down into planet 4546B. 25 life pods were deployed prior to impact. I was in life pod 5. I review this all slowey in my mind. My heads throbbing from something, and for some reason, I feel like i'm only half conscious.
    I take in a deep breath, but I feel my lungs sting as they try to process the air. I look up slightly, my visions blurred, but I can still make out a bright, reddish orange light coming from the other side of my lifepod. And its moving. I snap back into reality, and discover that its fire. I hit my finger on my chairs control panel to release my confinement, but all I get is an error sound.
    I hit the button on the control panel frantically, trying to release my confinement, but I get the same result. Eventually, I slam my whole fist down on the control panel, and only then does it release my chair confinement. I quickly get up and block my eyes from the bright light the fire gives of.
    Out of the corner of my eye, I spot the lifepod fire extinguisher laying right next to me on the ground, it must've detached from the wall when the lifepod was launched from the Aurora. I quickly scoop up the extinguisher, and put out the fire as fast as I can. Once the fire's gone, I let out a half-stress and half-relieved sigh. My heads pounding even more now, probably because I got up from my chair way too fast.
    I put the fire extinguisher down, and take a look around my lifepod. It's white on both the walls and roof, but grey on the floor. There's a hatch on the roof of the lifepod with a ladder leading up to it that releases you from the lifepod. There’s a similar hatch on the floor of the lifepod that releases you as well, and when I look down into it, I see nothing but water.
    On the plus side, I can see the bottom of the water, so the waters shallow. Good. Right behind the hatch on the floor is a storage compartment, and right above that is a black screen that's suppose to tell you stuff about the planet your on, how safe it is, etc. But instead it says WARNING all in yellow at the top of the screen, and below the warning sign, it says in all red: Circulatory Test: Failed. Secondary Systems: Offline. Flotation Devices: Deployed. Hull integrity: OK.
    I'm guessing the secondary systems mean the lights, because the only lights that are on right now are blue emergency lights. Well, at least the hull integrity's ok. There's a window to the left of the screen that lets in some sunlight, and to the right of the screen, I see wires hanging out of the life pod's components box, some are cut, and one wire’s letting out what looks like electricity and a small bit of smoke. That must be what started the fire. I could have sworn there was a panel that separates the components from the rest of the life pod, but, oh well.
    I turn around, and I see the chair that I sat in when the lifepod was launched from the Aurora. There's restraints to keep you held down in your chair because, it's not exactly a smooth ride. There's a similar chair right across the lifepod from that, one lifepod can hold two people. But only I occupy it, and besides, I was the last one to escape the Aurora. Next to my chair sits a medical fabricator, a device that creates medkits overtime that have the potential to heal almost anything. And next to the chair across the room sits the fabricator.
    A fabricator is an amazing device that can create almost any resource, tool, and even food provide that you give it the proper materials. Good, I have all the basic survival supplies.
    As I explore the lifepod a little more, I find a panel on the right side of my chair. So that's where the component box panel went. And then, I remember. As my lifepod was launching from the Aurora, that panel came loose, flew around the lifepod a bit, then hit me, square in the face, knocking me out. That explains where the head pain came from.
    Remembering this, I walk over to the medical fabricator to see if it fabricated a medkit to help me get rid of this head pain. I check the percentage of completion, since it's dangerous to open a medical fabricator until it fully completes fabricating. All it says is offline.
    Great, the medical fabricator is also part of the secondary systems. I walk over to the regular fabricator, hoping and praying that it isn't also part of the secondary systems. I click the button in the middle of the fabricator and watch in relief as the bottom of the fabricator opens up to reveal a small table, and the top opens up to reveal two small lasers that construct whatever resource you tell it to construct. Perfectly Functional.
    I push the bottom of the fabricator back into place, and the top follows my lead. There's only one thing left to do now. But before I can reach the ladder, I hear two beeps come from my toolbelt that's wrapped around my waist. Oh yeah. I forgot that before I entered my lifepod, I scrambled to put on a diving suit and attach a toolbelt to my waist. The beepings coming from a certain spot on my toolbelt, and then I see it. How could I have forgot about it? It's my most important tool ever. Even more important than the fabricator. It's my PDA, or Personal Digital Assistant.
    I pull out my PDA by the black and white handle from the special place in my toolbelt meant just for my PDA. The moment I bring it close to my face, a hologram appears from the handle. A picture of a spinning white triangle with Altera's symbol appears and below that, it says rebooting. The triangle spins a bit more, than I hear a feminine robotic voice say:
    “This PDA has now rebooted in emergency mode with one directive: to keep you alive on an alien world.” I’d never think that I would ever need my PDA in emergency mode.
    "You have suffered minor head trauma. This is considered an optimal outcome.” My PDA continues to say. Oh really? I wasn't aware.
    “Please refer to the databank for detailed survival advice. Good luck." The PDA’s main interface opens up, showing six tabs, the blueprint tab, the ping manager tab, the photos tab, log messages tab, the databank tab, and finally, the inventory tab, which i'm on right now.
    The PDA has an amazing ability to turn any item that you collect into a hologram and then store it in the inventory tab. And if you want that item out, you just click on the item in the inventory tab and the PDA sends out the hologram and makes it a physical item again all in about half a second.
    I’ll check out the rest of the PDA later, right now, there's something I really need to see.
    I start to ascend the ladder up to the hatch that leads out of the lifepod. I see what looks like a strange white bird fly by the hatch, then, I take a deep breath, and open up the hatch.
    I climb to the top of the lifepod and look around. Water as far as the eye can see. "Environment: Uncharted ocean planet. Oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere. Water contamination: high." My PDA proceeds to tell me. Apparently the thing still talks even when it's in the toolbelt. An ocean planet. Great. Couldn't have chose a better planet to orbit around. Well, at least i'm able to breath on this planet.
    I keep looking in the same direction, looking for any sign of land at all. But it's no use, I heard what the PDA said. It's an ocean planet. I let out a sigh, then turn around. That's when I see it.
    It's the destroyed remains of the Aurora.

That's part one for you all, if you have any ideas, let me know! Ill be making my own thread about this soon.
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    WOOOOOO! New chapter for Downward Spiral is here! *spins happily in place before crashing into the wall*

Ow...! So anyways! A new look at the fate of the Aurora's crew, but this time from the Engineering crew! I'm really fascinated with the lore of the story, and I can't wait to see the fate of our new victim survivor as she tries to help turn the fate of the Aurora. I'm really pleased to see a story focused on a female executive officer, similar to Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager . :grin:

The writing is as crisp as ever, with subtle nods to everyday life onboard the Aurora, and how technology prefaces everything. I have to say, my favorite line has to be this:
    Åkerman wrote:
    "We aim to please. Barring that, to wound," Åkerman says with a grin.

Clever with just a touch of dark humor, it made me giggle a bit. @scifiwriterguy, keep up the hard work! I and everyone else around here appreciate your stories and love how you spin them. I for one am eagerly awaiting to see what the next part brings into play for the beleaguered crew of the Aurora... :blush:

Downward "Spiral"?

Get it?

Oh nevermind grumble grumble grr...
    Was almost expecting another bump in this thread but I was pleasantly surprised ;)

Great quality, quantity, and explosions of course.
    Thought I was reading my morning routine in that first paragraph for a sec :D
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    Downward "Spiral"?

Get it?

I didn't... :confused: Let me in on it?
    Was almost expecting another bump in this thread but I was pleasantly surprised ;)

Great quality, quantity, and explosions of course.
    Thought I was reading my morning routine in that first paragraph for a sec :D

Thank you, thank you, and
    a major key of good writing is to make it relatable and to draw from one's own experiences. As someone responsible for the violent deaths of several alarm clocks, I can say that passage came quite naturally. ;)

:grin:
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Also lowkey headcanon:

I'm still holding out that she's of Chinese descent, and her family name is Tani... which would then make her "Yu Tani" and would be an additional delicious reference to another sci-fi space travel odyssey I hold near and dear to my heart... :innocent:

*psst* "Yutani" is a Japanese surname. So Yu Tani would probably have a pretty interesting family history! ;)
    Downward "Spiral"?

Get it?

I didn't... :confused: Let me in on it?
    I and everyone else around here appreciate your stories and love how you spin them.

Guess it wasn't that funny :confused:

*violin plays*
    Oh well I'll get it next time :cry:
    Dude...that's some Ocean's Eleven-level detail referencing right there!

*applause* Well played, sir. :)
    Darn it. Keep thinking there's another update. xD
    85d.gif
    1263396694326.jpg
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited September 2017
    I tried to choose one of these to express my joy of this story coming back, but none of them worked.

So I'll just leave all of them.
    Another delightful entry in the story, this time showing more of the calamity as the emergency unfolds! What will become of this dogged crew, as they try to maintain stability and keep our beloved Aurora intact? I for one will be waiting with eager anticipation to see what the next turn of the story brings us! :open_mouth:

Keep up the stellar work, @scifiwriterguy! We all really appreciate your hard work you put into these wonderful stories! :blush:
    edited October 2017
    I see where this is going now...But, with all the thrusters dead, how can she level out enough to "surf" in the planets atmosphere? Also, she's going to need to go Pretty fast.
    Well then! I was wondering how the XO survived when LCDR Keen got promoted due to her being KIA. (: Spectacular work on that twist, there, @scifiwriterguy - I legit thought she was dead at the end of last chapter and we'd be switching to Keen's story now. :D
    edited October 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Well then! I was wondering how the XO survived when LCDR Keen got promoted due to her being KIA. (: Spectacular work on that twist, there, @scifiwriterguy - I legit thought she was dead at the end of last chapter and we'd be switching to Keen's story now. :D

That would have been a quick chapter :tongue:

Heist-style, edge of your seat stress has never been so fun :D
    It's that time again...

You know it's coming...

It's time to DO THE BUMP!

(We can bump it high, and bump it down, while we wait for Lackland to save the day!) :sunglasses:
    3djvcb1oeqb9.png
    jph88bcm10e2.png
    u2znlhjon0sj.png
    c84ota27j7p0.png
    q7wsdc717arz.png
    3nge1ifrereq.png
    st9x2bjcoq0f.png
    hcl8hl86z2dw.png
    h90qhvglnifc.png
    mepnhitu7rn1.png
    r6zuyq0yl5kn.png
    mrkxevix48xe.png
    k9n4xdrwhvho.png
    0rddm4n13i2b.jpg
    kza3b45vdb0l.jpg
    bqo4aq8oegoe.jpg
    ojrurf62jgrt.jpg

Here I am! The forum's bad developer, Googler of bump memes(thats going on my CV), and a random guy!
    Recursion wrote: »
    3djvcb1oeqb9.png
    jph88bcm10e2.png
    u2znlhjon0sj.png
    c84ota27j7p0.png
    q7wsdc717arz.png
    3nge1ifrereq.png
    st9x2bjcoq0f.png
    hcl8hl86z2dw.png
    h90qhvglnifc.png
    mepnhitu7rn1.png
    r6zuyq0yl5kn.png
    mrkxevix48xe.png
    k9n4xdrwhvho.png
    0rddm4n13i2b.jpg
    kza3b45vdb0l.jpg
    bqo4aq8oegoe.jpg
    ojrurf62jgrt.jpg

Here I am! The forum's bad developer, Googler of bump memes(thats going on my CV), and a random guy!

This will hold us off for awhile :D