Regarding Heat

ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
I have three relatively small suggestions.

Firstly, when walking on/touching lava with the Prawn, we need a verbal and/or visual warning. You can't see directly downwards, and some areas of lava don't even look like lava at all. Compounding this, the suit takes damage so fast under these conditions that by the time I noticed I was already at 25% health! It's hard to believe your onboard computer wouldn't warn you that you're about to explode.

Something like 'Maximum heat tolerance exceeded, critical failure imminent'.

Secondly, it would be nice to have a HUD icon or verbal indication when the Thermal Reactor on the Cyclops becomes active. It's both annoying and unrealistic to have to leave the helm, run to the engine and manually watch the numbers tick over to make sure it's charging.

Lastly, and I'm sure this one is on the to-do list already, lava is a whopping 61℃ according to the display of the Thermal plant I placed on it. Perhaps it should be a little hotter? Wikipedia says around 700-1200℃.

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited September 2017
    Uhh...can I say it's an alien planet as an excuse for the lava being 61 degrees?
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Uhh...can I say it's an alien planet as an excuse while the lava is into 61 degrees?

it's an alien planet not an alternate universe

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I can agree.

I wish it would alert you, as it can be annoying to suddenly be dying.

Also 61 degree lava. Nice.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I wonder how hot the surrounding water next to molten lava is when it's that deep. Looks like at least 450 degrees C
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I wonder how hot the surrounding water next to molten lava is when it's that deep. Looks like at least 450 degrees C

Which means that the average water temperature in the ALZ should be close to that as well. Ironically, the Lost River is the coldest place in the game (water is barely above freezing in the Tree Cove), which is directly above the Lava Zones... With those tiny corridors, there should be incredibly strong currents flowing up those tunnels. You would need dual grapple arms on the prawn to make any headway (one to pull you forward, one to anchor you while firing the other).

So now the real question is: what is keeping the Lost River so cold with that massive heat source directly below it...
  • ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    Hmm, I don't think it needs to be that detailed with regards to currents and heat equilibrium.

I think 61℃ lava is much more blatantly impossible than 'oh ok, this area is surprisingly cool even though it's near the lava zone'.

I don't think most people would think twice about that, they'd probably write it off as rock blocking the heat, or heat dissipating over those few 100m of distance (of course you're 100% correct, I'm just of the belief that real-life physics rarely makes for good gaming)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »

Which means that the average water temperature in the ALZ should be close to that as well. Ironically, the Lost River is the coldest place in the game (water is barely above freezing in the Tree Cove), which is directly above the Lava Zones... With those tiny corridors, there should be incredibly strong currents flowing up those tunnels. You would need dual grapple arms on the prawn to make any headway (one to pull you forward, one to anchor you while firing the other).

So now the real question is: what is keeping the Lost River so cold with that massive heat source directly below it...
    ZeddIsDead wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't think it needs to be that detailed with regards to currents and heat equilibrium.

I think 61℃ lava is much more blatantly impossible than 'oh ok, this area is surprisingly cool even though it's near the lava zone'.

I don't think most people would think twice about that, they'd probably write it off as rock blocking the heat, or heat dissipating over those few 100m of distance (of course you're 100% correct, I'm just of the belief that real-life physics rarely makes for good gaming)

Those Precursor Thermal generators are sucking all the heat out of the water as it's generated. Or something.
    Maybe instead of lava it's all just molten wax like in those lava lamps. That would explain the temperature.
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    Abruptly: FULL, WAKING, COGNITION

You cringe from the harsh clinical lighting of Altera Employee Asset Recovery Unit. The full agony of your 85% body burns flood back to displace all other awareness. Responding quickly to your crazed screams the nurse attends, "Just a moment Sir, just a moment. Yes, you were involved the Athena accident. I'll put you at ease directly.".

Promptly and efficiently your Cognitive Neural Interface leads are reconnected (Altera Pat. Pending). Immediately you are reloaded into the blessed Subnautica 1.0 Simulation where even the molten lava is only 65 degrees.

• Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited September 2017

Those Precursor Thermal generators are sucking all the heat out of the water as it's generated. Or something.

That would be the best answer to the low temp water. It makes sense. To defend the planet from any angle. There has to be thousands of weapon platforms on the planet. So I guess most of the cores heat is diverted to these guns. That or the Ghost Leviathans absorb this heat too. So you could explain why the Lost River is the coldest location above the Lava Zone. Heat is required for all the plants/tree eggs to grown down there?
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

That would be the best answer to the low temp water. It makes sense. To defend the planet from any angle. There has to be thousands of weapon platforms on the planet. So I guess most of the cores heat is diverted to these guns. That or the Ghost Leviathans absorb this heat too. So you could explain why the Lost River is the coldest location above the Lava Zone. Heat is required for all the plants/tree eggs to grown down there?

The problem with that idea is that the only precursor facilities in the Lost River are the wrecked base and the small research outpost. There aren't really any facilities to pull the heat out of the water.

Maybe the cove tree has something to do with it. There's roots all throughout the Lost River, it's possible that they're all part of one giant organism that absorbs the heat coming up from the lava zones regulates the water temperature.