My Experience with Subnautica as of the 3-In-1 Update

SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
edited September 2017 in Subnautica on Consoles
I had a lot of complaints with the older version of Subnautica on the Xbone, but I'm glad to see that most of my issues have been resolved.

However, I do have quite a few nitpicks, some more relevant and urgent than others.

- In the log Technical -> Welcome -> Readme, there is a typo for the word "alien", spelled "aline"
- Stars can be seen through the larger moon.
- The smaller moon disappears during the day because it is only part of the skybox.
- The floating boulders look hilariously out of place.
- The deconstruction tool says that you can use it on machines in the lifepod (press y to deconstruct), even though you can't.
- The game doesn't register keys that you press on skipped frames. Seeing as this game runs at 40-50 FPS, it's rather annoying that a fifth of the times I try to do something it doesn't work.

Also, after creating a new save, the game's performance gradually degraded until I was at a constant 20-25 FPS, which made it completely unplayable. It only took about three hours until it was at this point.

I have not tried playing my older saves for fear that they may become corrupted, but I haven't had any save issues with my new save. (despite what many people say)

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I've noticed it getting more laggy as I've played, but it's still a heck of a lot better than it was before. We'll see how long it remains playable.

Also, I have not had the saving problems that some folks have. Everything I've saved has come back just fine. Inconsistent bugs are butts, so people who are having the problem, report it when you do so they can gather data to fix it! :D
  • cinan123cinan123 Canada Join Date: 2017-09-07 Member: 232862Members
    likewise ..... performance seems alot better ...... still not perfect but definetly an improvement..... saving bug i did not run into... i loaded my old save .... played for a few hours and saved and it was fine. even tested and made new game played for a few mpre hours there and it was fine..... so it seems intermittent and situational as not everyone is getting save bug.... so far so good in terms the direction of the progress of updates ..... keep it up !
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    @elfcrisis @cinan123 I'd also like to add that at first the performance WAS significantly better, and the game ran much smoother. It was only after a few hours that it started to get laggy, but I can try playing that save again and see if it's still an issue on a newer one.
  • HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members
    edited September 2017
    @Obraxis Just started playing the new update (finally able to find the time) noticed a small bug, computer chips now take gold rather than silver but when you 1st pick up silver the PDA's AI says silver-based computer chips are an essential component of the habitat builder. Is gold supposed to be the new resource for computer chips? Really like the new UI by the way, very streamlined! Oh yeah, are we supposed to be able to drag and drop now?
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    To add to my previous post, the game runs okay for about 15 minutes before the lag starts up again. I haven't tried this on a new save yet, but I'm honestly reluctant to even bother.
  • kpchips123kpchips123 united kingdom Join Date: 2017-09-08 Member: 232893Members
    my biggest issue is i cant turn the engine on on my cyclops and cant pick up the mobile vehicle bay after deploying it
  • BermudaRectangleBermudaRectangle Texas Join Date: 2017-03-12 Member: 228866Members
    Here are some things I've noticed that are unique to this build number:

-It can take several minutes to actually finish the "saving" game process. If, during this time, I jump in my seamoth and zip away, I'll come to the edge of the terrain and it will take quite a while to eventually load. I can travel down through the unloaded terrain. Gradually, the resources (minerals, plants, etc. -even the stuff you can't interact with or scan) will load, but if they normally are not attached to the surface, they'll simply descend until the terrain loads above them.

-When floating rocks load, the floaters immediately float to the surface and the rocks descend to the sea floor.

-When entering my base, the computer voice now says, "Welcome aboard;" the word "captain" is cut off.
  • HungryMakoHungryMako Tacoma, Wa Join Date: 2017-11-12 Member: 233959Members
    I have gotten stuck inside terrain that didnt load in, in time. Once it was an alien building , i couldnt fly my seamoth back out of. But this last time, the proposed degassi base loaded in and wedged my prawn, making it immovable. I finally found kyanite, and had to lose it all.
    Super frustrating.
    Im running on the new Xbox One X, so it shouldnt have these performance glitches.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    HungryMako wrote: »
    I have gotten stuck inside terrain that didnt load in, in time. Once it was an alien building , i couldnt fly my seamoth back out of. But this last time, the proposed degassi base loaded in and wedged my prawn, making it immovable. I finally found kyanite, and had to lose it all.
    Super frustrating.
    Im running on the new Xbox One X, so it shouldnt have these performance glitches.

Even high-end PCs have this. If you want to temporarily help with it, get an external USB 3 SSD, and move your Subnautica data to that. Or just wait for the performance optimizations to mature (the problem is that the resource data such as terrain, while better than it was, is still not completely optimized, causing huge data load on the HDD).