moving

ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
Is it possible for one's life pod to move?

Comments

• MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    It can get pushed.

I had one game where, I have no idea what happened - I was in the life pod at the time - but something pushed my life pod all the way over until I was directly above middle of the red grass biome. It was kinda cool, actually, and I almost wish that was a "feature" as a way to make the early game more interesting.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    MaxAstro wrote: »
    It can get pushed.

I had one game where, I have no idea what happened - I was in the life pod at the time - but something pushed my life pod all the way over until I was directly above middle of the red grass biome. It was kinda cool, actually, and I almost wish that was a "feature" as a way to make the early game more interesting.

It's kind of a cool thing when you're lifepod goes to another biome. It's like it wanted to get closer to resources.

But then you realized it's right over a Reaper in the Dunes.

I had that happen more times than I want to say.
    It might be neat if there were surface currents and the lifepod drifted over time... But adding that would be a bit of work and balance for not much reward, since the game wants you to abandon the lifepod past a certain point.

If not for the risk of getting stuck, I'd more prefer a scripted event where at some point as you return to the lifepod a couple warpers blip in and tear it to pieces. Kind of a nice "Oh. THAT's what happened to the other pods." moment.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I've heard if you bump it from the bottom it can start drifting. And also that if you give it a dose of Stasis Rifle, it'll stop. There was a plan to have the pod drift if not repaired after a certain time, and then lock into place when repaired, but I"m not sure if that was implemented or if it was, if it's still that way or it has been changed.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Side note; we should really be able to deconstruct it for resources.
  • ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
    I keep hoping they will fix it so you can put a tube of the bottom of it and include in your base it does have a power scouse of sorts.
    Being able to link the pod to your base would be a cool feature, make it feel less ignored and unloved once the mid-game hits. :P
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    I always leave a few bottles and snacks in there in case of emergency - and in RP style if any survivor find it.

Forgerer wrote: »
    I keep hoping they will fix it so you can put a tube of the bottom of it and include in your base it does have a power scouse of sorts.

It would make sense to not abandoned it. It is really valuable afterall.
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    edited September 2017
    The pod is coded to sail back home at 1m/s if it gets out of place, but I've seen it sail away, too. Happened to me twice. When it was sailing away, even after I pushed it back, it just started sailing away again. It was like there was some constant force stuck on it. It could have been some issue with that return home code, or it could have been a force stronger than 1m/s overcoming it. I've not had it happen recently.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Belgarel wrote: »
    The pod is coded to sail back home at 1m/s if it gets out of place, but I've seen it sail away, too. Happened to me twice. When it was sailing away, even after I pushed it back, it just started sailing away again. It was like there was some constant force stuck on it. It could have been some issue with that return home code, or it could have been a force stronger than 1m/s overcoming it. I've not had it happen recently.

I really want to find the code for that and delete it
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    It's sailed away on me before. I think it got about to the kelp forest before drifting back.
    Also, side note, hitting the pod does damage now. Love that, as you have to go inside to repair it, but I think it should turn off the lights when it does that.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017
    Every time I load a save game, my Lifepod has drifted 1,000 meters away from its start location. I had heard about this bug over the past year but never experienced it before. Now, though, this bug is highly repeatable and appears to occur every time I load a save game. Hopefully, the developers will take notice and fix this bug before the 1.0 release next year.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    garath wrote: »
    Every time I load a save game, my Lifepod has drifted 1,000 meters away from its start location. I had heard about this bug over the past year but never experienced it before. Now, though, this bug is highly repeatable and appears to occur every time I load a save game. Hopefully, the developers will take notice and fix this bug before the 1.0 release next year*.

* This year presumably

And a fixed but can always come back, such is bug fixing+adding content+development :D

I really want to find the code for that and delete it

@nesrak1
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    There's nothing to delete, it has physics, and it moves. It's a bug, is not supposed to move. I believe this is being fixed by the dev team.
    Kouji_San wrote: »

* This year presumably

And a fixed but can always come back, such is bug fixing+adding content+development :D

Why do you say this year? I thought the imaginary target date was Oct 31st. Allowing for the usual 3-6 month delay beyond all usual imaginary target dates, doesn't that put the release in 2018? :)

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    once you repair the lifepod, it doesn't drift. And @nesark1 , I suppose you could delete the rigidbody 3d.
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    There's nothing to delete, it has physics, and it moves. It's a bug, is not supposed to move. I believe this is being fixed by the dev team.

It has code. EscapePod.FixedUpdate() applies a 1m/s force towards the anchorPosition when it's more than 1m away from it. There's a chance that it's the source of this bug rather than a workaround. If I can get a save where it's repeatable, I can delete it and see. Otherwise, it's likely some rogue Component.
    Now, though, this bug is highly repeatable and appears to occur every time I load a save game.

Could you zip up your global-objects.bin, scene-objects.bin, and gameinfo.json (I don't need the rest.. probably) and post it somewhere? Note that your user name and machine name are in the gameinfo.json so you might want to edit those out if that's a concern for you.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I pushed it with my seamoth about half a km. It took way too long, and it got reset after the update.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    It has code. EscapePod.FixedUpdate() applies a 1m/s force towards the anchorPosition when it's more than 1m away from it. There's a chance that it's the source of this bug rather than a workaround. If I can get a save where it's repeatable, I can delete it and see. Otherwise, it's likely some rogue Component.
    I didn't actually check the code, I just went off what devs said on discord. That being said, wouldn't removing it still break it?

Now, though, this bug is highly repeatable and appears to occur every time I load a save game.

Could you zip up your global-objects.bin, scene-objects.bin, and gameinfo.json (I don't need the rest.. probably) and post it somewhere? Note that your user name and machine name are in the gameinfo.json so you might want to edit those out if that's a concern for you.

@Belgarel You'll also need screenshot.jpg, but you don't need the actual pic, a blank file will do. There just needs to be a screenshot.jpg in the save folder for it to be displayed in the load menu (unless they've changed that).
    I didn't actually check the code, I just went off what devs said on discord. That being said, wouldn't removing it still break it?

Trust, but verify. They're only human, and they're a small team dealing with massive amounts of code spanning the development course of what, 3 years now, plus a 3rd party engine? It may have been changed by someone since they last saw the code, or they may have incorrectly remembered the code, it can happen even to the best devs.
    edited September 2017
    That being said, wouldn't removing it still break it?

It'd be less broken, but mainly it'd point to what's broken. When I had it sailing away from start on me (before I'd seen that section of code), it was sailing off at what I felt was about a constant 1m/s. So when I ran into this section of code that tries to sail it to anchor at 1m/s I was confident I'd found where the bug would be, but I couldn't find a way it could fail without something going wrong in deserialize. I'm not sure if it's worth looking at that path more or if the bug's in an entirely different area (e.g. in a Component somewhere), so I've been waiting for a way to reproduce it.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    [@Belgarel You'll also need screenshot.jpg

Yeah, I just copy something in, no need to get it from the player. What I'm concerned I might need is the cellscache file for the batch his pod's in. But I expect whatever's broken is serialized along with the pod in the scene-objects.bin so no need to ask for it yet.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017

* This year presumably

Why do you say this year? I thought the imaginary target date was Oct 31st. Allowing for the usual 3-6 month delay beyond all usual imaginary target dates, doesn't that put the release in 2018? :)

That's mostly based on that they're now "feature locked", which smells like a v1.0 Gold release imminent. And their roadmap and their Halloween release date trackrecord

- Feature locked
    - September - Performance and Polish
    - October 23 patch (final pre-v1.0)
    - Release PC v1.0 - Oct. 31th
    - Potential post v1.0
    - XB1 v1.0
    - January - Expansion pack and maybe?

All that final release and v1.0 talk would imply this Halloween, not next year's Halloween. Not even mentioning the "Release Date: 31 Oct, 2017" bit on the Steam Store page

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I've heard if you bump it from the bottom it can start drifting. And also that if you give it a dose of Stasis Rifle, it'll stop. There was a plan to have the pod drift if not repaired after a certain time, and then lock into place when repaired, but I"m not sure if that was implemented or if it was, if it's still that way or it has been changed.

Way back when I first started playing (Which was around when Floodlights were 'new') the lifepod really would drift and the effect was very noticeable. It'd do that every single game. Repairing it made it stop. For a while I thought repairing it was like, optional. I always made it my first priority to repair it after I discovered this.

Some updates later though, it stopped doing that drifting - unless something rammed it a bunch, but by then I'd have it repaired usually so it never went far.

Whether or not it was a thing or just some unluckiness on my part, it really did used to do that for me at some point and it was a good incentive for people to focus on getting a Repair Tool up and repairing the thing.
    edited September 2017

* This year presumably

That's mostly based on that they're now "feature locked", which smells like a v1.0 Gold release imminent. And their roadmap and their Halloween release date trackrecord

- Feature locked
    - Potential post v1.0
    - XB1 v1.0

All that final release and v1.0 talk would imply this Halloween, not next year's Halloween. Not even mentioning the "Release Date: 31 Oct, 2017" bit on the Steam Store page

Have you played the game lately? Do you honestly thing it will be ready for release in just six weeks? Personally, I think I've found a new bug every day I've played this week. Personally, I hold the UWE folks in high enough regard that I think they are more interested in fixing all those bugs before release than meeting some arbitrary date that was likely written down a year ago.

Try 1 to load a file here. Remove .jpg from the file.

edited September 2017

* This year presumably

- Feature locked
    - Potential post v1.0
    - XB1 v1.0

Have you played the game lately? Do you honestly thing it will be ready for release in just six weeks? Personally, I think I've found a new bug every day I've played this week. Personally, I hold the UWE folks in high enough regard that I think they are more interested in fixing all those bugs before release than meeting some arbitrary date that was likely written down a year ago.

Nope, I'm steering clear of the game as per spoiler lockdown on my part. Which isn't working with this here forum and all the spoiler-ish stuff :tongue:

But I'm not the one throwing a date on the Steam Store page and Trello's, so don't shoot the messenger :D I honestly don't know the current state of "average PC" vs performance, so I can't comment on that
    I'm steering clear of the game as per spoiler lockdown on my part. Which isn't working with this here forum and all the spoiler-ish stuff :tongue:

I'm so torn in how to respond to this... Two sides of the coin:

1. Wow! You have AWESOME self control to not play the game yet. If I had your self control, I would be able to eat just a single bite of Ben and Jerry's ice cream without finishing the pint in one sitting. I'd be able to eat just a single Oreo cookie instead of finishing the whole bag in one sitting. Etc. Etc. :)
    2. Or, You are CRAZY. You are missing out on SO much. I think I've played the first 24 hours of the game a dozen times. In some of those game starts, I don't even leave the Safe Shallows. The start of the game is just that much fun.

:)

Hahaha, amazing xD

I've heard people call me something similar (AWESOME CRAZY) from time to time... Also I have dabbled in the safeshallows, the close by green seaweed forests and that redgrass stuff.. Mostly just looking around for a bit and made some very basic stuff, but that was ages ago. And I've seen the explosion on the Aurora... But yeah other than that, my Subnautica knowledge comes from that, this here forum and some random Youtubers, which I also have to avoid mostly :cry: