Splash Down (A Subnautica Story)

Comments

• ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    Sounds great! I'm glad I could inspire you! Just keep your story unique and don't copy mine or any one else's story too much and I'm sure it will be great!
  • SoonerbotSoonerbot Join Date: 2017-08-28 Member: 232694Members
    edited September 2017
    Sounds great dude. If it seems too similar let me know and I will change it. Also, either way I give you full credit. I think I'm calling it "Ocean in the Stars: A Subnautica Story"
    Recursion wrote: »
    Soonerbot wrote: »
    That rocks I'm a Christian as well :smiley:

So Am I! Exciting!

Glad to see that :smile:
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    edited September 2017
    From a subnautica story to religious talk...

I'm a JW
    Technically also Christian
    Lol did this forum die Sept. 2nd XD
    Hello? Anyone there?
  • ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    @Soonerbot Calm down man. Just because things have gone quiet doesn't mean the thread is dead. This isn't a chat lobby. I'm working on the next chapter so don't worry. Just be careful not to spam. :wink:
    I know I was just being funny :smile:
    Chapter 37: Repairs and Revelations

Palmer and Jeff were able to make it back to Reefback Refuge without incident. They fabricated an extension of the storage room to make way for their new materials. Once all the new cargo was unloaded and they restocked on the few materials they had used while on mission, they focused their attention on the cyclops. The ventral damage was much more severe then previously assumed. While the inner plate lining of the ship hadn't been breached, the majority of the outer armor plating and electronics on the underside of the ship just between the two stabilizers had been completely ripped away and now sported some severe dents and even a fracture in one of the main rib beams. All this included with the armor and electrical damage to the upper tail, the cameras, and the stabilizers. These issues would need to be fixed before they could even think about venturing down into deeper unknown territory. They had already seen what the caves of this planet had to offer when they encountered the crabsnakes. While Jeff worked on repairing The Determination, Palmer brainstormed new upgrades they would need to add after seeing how the cyclops had handled while in stock condition. Most assuredly sonar range upgrades in addition to the need for higher grade shield generator and armor plating. Palmer also dabbled in the idea of some sort of defense system that was based on either stasis cannons, torpedoes, or mass drivers. Unfortunately, the basic foundation tech schematics for these systems was completely unknown to Palmer and Jeff meaning either a fragment would need to be found to kickstart the development process, or some severe successful guesswork would need to be made.

Palmer sat at a desk by a window in the kitchen eating some lantern fruit. In front of his bowl of fruit was a desk monitor that he was brainstorming on. He had already been able to piece together the requirements for the sonar, shield, and armor upgrade schematics, but he still contemplated how to begin with defense schematics. He was pondering when he thought of something. His eyes widened and he looked off into space. Then, in a rush of excitement, he got up from the desk and headed for the intercom. On the wall next to the bulkhead that lead into their bedroom was a small screen and control pad. He pressed and held a button.

"Hey Jeff, what class did you say the Sunbeam was?"

There was silence on the other side for a moment.

"Why are you bringing this up, Palmer?"

"Just- just bare with me for a second."

Jeff sighed, "It was a bulldog class ship. Non Alterra branding. Why?"

"Did any wreckage survive?"

"None that I know of. From my point of view, it looked like the ship was just evaporated in a ball of green fire. Aside from a few fireballs that fell into the ocean, nothing survived. Again, why are you bringing this up? You know I don't like talking about it."

"I just had an idea... you know how I've been trying to think of various upgrades we could do to Determination right? Well, we definitely need some sort of defensive weapon system either stasis or elimination based. I thought about mass drivers, but we don't have the fragments nor the experience in the weapons department, especially of that grade. Anyway, then I thought about the Aurora, and that lead to spaceships, and then I remembered the Sunbeam. Jeff, what if one of the tiny fragments that survived in one of the fireballs you mentioned could be a fragment of a mass driver? Since you say the Sunbeam was non-Alterra so they likely aren't as strict in the weapons department, and I have flown bulldog class variants that have had mass drivers. If we could score a piece of one, we might could have enough to reverse engineer a mass driver. We might want to check into this possibility don't you think?"

There was more intercom silence.

"Jeff? You listening?"

On the other side of the intercom, Jeff was sitting on the tail of the upper half of Determination that was sticking out of the water. He was staring into the water.

He cleared his throat, "Yeah, I heard you... I just... thinking about the Sunbeam. I... I don't know if I can go back there man... It's... I just can't... I mean... besides, the odds of finding enough fragmentation of a mass driver in what little wreckage exists are neigh impossible."

"Yeah, but those are better odds than zero right? Think about it... if we were able to find enough of one... it'd really give us a leg up on this planet."

Jeff fell silent again for a moment, "Of course... you're right Palmer... but... can we deal with it when we get back from investigating the next alien facility?"

"If you're sure a better shield generator, stronger armor, and a better sonar will be all we'll need."

"I don't... we don't know what's down there."

"All the reason to be prepared, Jeff. I'm just sayin', I think it's worth a try."

Jeff sighed, "Yeah, you're right... Let's not worry about it right now though. Let's focus on these repairs and the upgrades we already know we can do. Then, we'll get some rest and figure it out in the morning. It's getting dark."

"Alright, a little shut eye sounds really good right about now."
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    This is going to be great! first one reaper encounter, then they repair the cyclops, then another reaper encounter. I can picture Palmer now: "Where do these things not spawn?"
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    Is this thread dead? :s
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Is this thread dead? :s

Highly doubt it. Writing stories that are as well thought out and eloquently put as this one probably takes 2-3 hours.

I, for one, can say that trying to squeeze the time and thought process into a story can be incredibly taxing. Especially if there isn't much action in the post.

And, 9 times out of 10, people are just taking a break for a while, realizing that they actually have a life to attend to. :D
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    edited September 2017
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    MAKE THIS CANON

I know it CAN'T be canon, I just want it to be
    edited October 2017
    40dq89qfbici.png
    rk7cp8rt9byo.png
    qasko6ik9zu5.png
    fnt1rx3ozt8v.png
    vkxl1m5izhwb.png
    z713zv1m57xb.png
    no40ai1tp5ky.png
    g7bi36rvd84a.png
    76ufgqqmi9of.jpg
    ct5kratywqhb.jpg
    09utvp3xio3t.jpg
    zii53gjpd4qk.jpg
    MEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMPMEGABUMP
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Oh gosh, the bump is real.

@ThunderShock27, you might want to come back quickly, I think that @Recursion used up all our material for bumps. ;)
    Wait, so you're actually a futuristic supersoldier who kills possible cult members with bombs?

I can respect that.
    But seriously, I'm very excited to see how this actually fits in with the rest of the story, if at all.

And never get discouraged, that is the main killer of creativity. As soon as you give up on your story, your story will be extremely difficult to pick back up.

Read some books, get some rest, think about your story every chance you can, and you'll come back just fine.

Now, on to Dawning. ;)
    @Skope I made the avatar I'm currently using in MS paint and it's not based on anything in particular but it is heavily influenced by the halo universe to be sure. Some one once asked why my name was "thundershock" and what my avatar was about. I promptly wrote them a lengthy story on the origin of my name and my avatar. Basically the gist is. I'm a special ops spartan, hence the predominantly gray or black armor coloring. I'm the kind of spartan you send in to do stealth missions. However, I've never seen any human vs alien action. I'm needed back on earth to manage terrorist groups. That doesn't mean I can't ever be deployed to covenant skirmishes, but Master Chief and those already in the field are managing just fine. Besides, some spartan has to stay behind to fight on home turf right? So that's basically who "ThunderShock" is. A special ops, homefront, stealth spartan. As for the origin of my name. The story goes that on one of my first missions, there was a heavy thunderstorm similar to the one in my little dabble I did above. We, being me and some other homefront spartans, attacked a terrorist weapons facility in the night in a stealth mission. Stealth missions were very common and usually so quick against the typically lesser equipped terrorists that they were usually called "shocks" so we go in there, I do some cool stuff, save my comrades and go from simply being Spartan #1627, to being nicknamed "ThunderShock". Similar to how most other spartans get their names. They start out as just a number, and after doing distinguishing things in combat, they earn titles.

Ah... If I had my own website, I'd have so many stories going on all at the same time XD. Ive got lots of material stored in the back of my mind that needs to be put to words... one day. For now, Splashdown.
    @Skope I made the avatar I'm currently using in MS paint and it's not based on anything in particular but it is heavily influenced by the halo universe to be sure. Some one once asked why my name was "thundershock" and what my avatar was about. I promptly wrote them a lengthy story on the origin of my name and my avatar. Basically the gist is. I'm a special ops spartan, hence the predominantly gray or black armor coloring. I'm the kind of spartan you send in to do stealth missions. However, I've never seen any human vs alien action. I'm needed back on earth to manage terrorist groups. That doesn't mean I can't ever be deployed to covenant skirmishes, but Master Chief and those already in the field are managing just fine. Besides, some spartan has to stay behind to fight on home turf right? So that's basically who "ThunderShock" is. A special ops, homefront, stealth spartan. As for the origin of my name. The story goes that on one of my first missions, there was a heavy thunderstorm similar to the one in my little dabble I did above. We, being me and some other homefront spartans, attacked a terrorist weapons facility in the night in a stealth mission. Stealth missions were very common and usually so quick against the typically lesser equipped terrorists that they were usually called "shocks" so we go in there, I do some cool stuff, save my comrades and go from simply being Spartan #1627, to being nicknamed "ThunderShock". Similar to how most other spartans get their names. They start out as just a number, and after doing distinguishing things in combat, they earn titles.

Ah... If I had my own website, I'd have so many stories going on all at the same time XD. Ive got lots of material stored in the back of my mind that needs to be put to words... one day. For now, Splashdown.

So...this has nothing to do with Splashdown?

Eh, probably for the best. Think of how many people would come in here ranting, "SEE, THIS GUY SAYS THERE IS GUNS! WE NEED GUNS IN SUBNAUTICA! etc. etc."

Either way, great detail writing. I'm excited to see what lay in store for Palmer and Jeff.
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, i just wrote that little story as a creative way of saying, "I've been detained but I have returned!" Don't worry, that's not Splashdown canon... if i tried to mix the halo and subnautica universes, I'd die of a heart attack from the research I'd have to do! XD
    And THATS why you don't go to the void, the game itself forbids it by having full size Ghost Leviathans attack you
    Chapter 39: The Upgrade's Upgrade gets an Upgrade

After only a few moments of thought, Ghost Leviathan was the most sensible designation. The translucent exoskeleton, the glowing yellow eyes, creature of the dark. Yes, quite ghostly. Sally's theory turned out to be fact as scans of the creature indicated that it was very sensitive to UV rays to the point where one could die from too much exposure. This was a very important attribute to remember and a lucky one for Jeff and Palmer. The Fauna entry was made for future reference and they headed back home.

There, they dry-docked the Determination in a grav-well, made repairs, and thought even more about the potential dangers in the cave systems below that held the next alien facility. Anywhere there is no sunlight, could be territory of a Ghost Leviathan. This potential was very concerning and lead to further cyclops system evaluation. A defensive weapon system was vital and more than one seamoth bay would be very important for emergency escape scenarios. Their trip to the alien structure would once again be delayed with good reason.

Since mass drivers were now a 100% impossibility, they would have to fall back to stasis. Both of them knew from various data entries scoured from their last trip to the Aurora that she had been carrying stasis rifles to be used for the auxiliary Degasi mission, but neither of them had come across one in any of the wreckage around the shallows or in any of the other biomes they had dared enter. They would have to go searching, but they at least had a reference picture that was provided in the file. Reverse engineering ship-mounted stasis cannons would be fairly easy if enough of a rifle could be found. Palmer also brought up the idea of torpedoes. An early 20th century water-based weapon no longer in use today, yet one very easily created with today's technology. Just a simple tube filled with some kind of explosive attached to a remote propeller system. The only question was how to make them go boom without plasma or even nuclear technology. The exploding fish, now designated as "crashfish" in the PDA data bank, seemed like a good start. Jeff had been able to create a basic welder out of the sulfur left behind by this creature and with a little logic and some trial and error, a basic explosive could be made. Granted, not one good enough to neutralize a creature, but at least wound it- utilizing an old fragmentation concept used in old grenades. Anything soft bodied would be susceptible to these torpedoes, possibly even a reaper. The trick would be to land the shot. The old type torpedoes used back in the Digital Age were fairly slow and were designed to hit large, slow moving targets. These torpedoes would be small, fast, and guided by Sally's newly implemented AI targeting system drawn up by Jeff. Crate after crate of torpedoes were fabricated and launch bay tubes were installed four at the front-underside of Determination and two in the back-underside.

After a few days of upgrades and material searching, a stasis rifle in acceptable condition was finally found and the stasis cannons were reverse engineered. Two mounted in front at the bottom left and right of Determination's pilot's bubble, and one mounted in the very back on the underside of the tail. The issue with the stasis cannons not previously realized by Jeff and Palmer was the energy requirement. To fire the stasis cannons would require a good deal of energy and thus they would have to be reserved as last resort. In light of energy issues, a bioreactor was also installed on-board to be used specifically for recharging power cells to help prevent a complete power-loss scenario.

Jeff and Palmer were beginning to feel a bit safer as they installed each upgrade. However, Jeff's skin was beginning to feel irritated. A side-effect Sally attributed to the disease and that reminded them of their urgency to get to the next alien facility.

The next few days were devoted to installing the second seamoth bay. Meanwhile, Palmer was able to generate a basic PRAWN suit schematic from the scan he had made from the last Aurora trip. Once built, Palmer insisted that it go in the second seamoth bay to make scavenging safer. Jeff was hesitant as he worried the PRAWN would be too slow to escape from anything. Palmer eventually convinced Jeff by assuring him that, worse-comes-to-worse, the PRAWN can grab onto a seamoth and hitch a ride.

Once the second seamoth bay was complete and system checks showed green across the board, they new they were ready. They had rations for days and enough extra materials to build an emergency base if need be. They had weapon systems, an escape plan, and the motivation to not die a slow death to the disease. Their spirits were at an all time high for two guys stranded on perhaps the most dangerous planet to ever sustain life. However, the ever-looming thought that things would go horribly wrong down there still plagued their minds. Jeff could think of hundreds of very logical outcomes that only ended in death and he had to fight to put his focus elsewhere. After much preparation, distraction, and toil, they finally felt ready to head down into the underground depths.

Palmer sat in the pilot's seat and turned on the engine. Jeff took his seat at the side terminal. Palmer ran another quick systems check and nodded when green was all he could see on the display. Then he cocked his head in sudden realization.

"Um, Jeff. Do we even know where the entrance to the cave system we're looking for is?"
    They went to all that trouble. Next time palmer, think ahead.
    "Jeff's skin was beginning to feel irritated." OH SNAYUP
    You should write a book on this