Returning to Rookie Servers

SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

So, as I'm fairly new to the realm of NS2, I'm not too good of a commander, but I would like to learn without having to replay the tutorial.

But, I've learned that a lot of people don't like Rookie Comms. Especially in higher level play. And I don't like ruining games in higher levels.

My thought was to get back to the Rookie servers to practice Commanding. But, I can't get back to those Rookie servers.

Is there any way to go back, or am I out of luck?

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You are fucked, my friend
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    When the team inevitably abuse you, whether you're winning or losing, just eat the abuse - right or wrong; don't argue.

This shouldn't happen if you communicate and are upfront about your situation, as Santa suggested. If it happens anyway, go to a server where actual decent people play.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Create a familyshare account and youll be able to get on rookie servers without issue.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    So by doing this you'll get another SteamID and you have basically zero hiveskill? Would like to try that out to do some commanding
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Also take it with a grant of salt if you get blamed for a loose at the end. Even the best commanders usually take the blame for a loose no matter how well they performed.
    This is the most important point imo. You will get blamed, always, no matter how bad or how good you are. Even if you the best comm NS2 ever had, your chances of getting eject every second game are pretty high.

You say that you don't want to ruin the round for other people. That honors you and it is good to consider that, however, you can always check on what the ELO of the players is that are in your team. If you see that the average ELO is way above yours, you should most likely not trying to command unless the team is ok with it.

And while you are commanding, especially if people know that you are inexpierenced, many people will try to teach you things and what to do. While it is a good way to learn how to command by listening to them, it is very important that you only listen to the strongest players in your team (the ones with the highest ELO) and ignore the rest. Many people talking also means many different opinions on how things should be done. Don't care about what some random noobs tell you.

The skill new commanders usually lack the most is speed. Even if there is a high skilled veteran willing to assist you step by step in your commanding, you are very slow in doing those things which can quickly lead to frustrated field players. Learning some mechanical skill first in sandbox mode will help a lot here. (Mostly how to drop supplies (med, ammo, scan) fast), but also speed in placing buildings and research tech. So you can also learn beforehand in games with bots how to quickly access every building and tech you wish to research.

Generally, some experience in how the game works is needed for commanding. That is why you also become a better comm by simply playing the game on the field or watch videos of competitive teams. You will learn tech paths, structure placement and map knowledge. Many rookie comms sitting with their camera above their main base figuring out where to find anything and what thigns they should build or research while at the same time marines are not getting crucial meds or a good opportunity in which you could get a strong phase gate vanishes. This can easily avoided by getting some basic knowledge beforehand. When you have to think less about how to do things, when to do things or where to drop that phase gate, you have much more time for actual commanding.

And seriously do remember this: Most people on pubs have absolutely zero idea of what they are doing or should be doing. You will get blamed and ejected a lot, regardless how good you are. So don't care about that. Care about becoming better and ask yourself after a round what you could have done better or what high skill players would have done differently.

Also, are you playing on NA or EU pubs?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I've found that NA servers tend to have an obsession bordering on the fetishistic for commanders using a mic. EU servers tend to be a bit more chilled about it. I also noticed that NA people backseat command a lot more, barking 'suggestions' often. On the other hand, I did notice a bit more teamwork...
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've found that NA servers tend to have an obsession bordering on the fetishistic for commanders using a mic. EU servers tend to be a bit more chilled about it. I also noticed that NA people backseat command a lot more, barking 'suggestions' often. On the other hand, I did notice a bit more teamwork...

Yes, on NA servers there usually is a lot more talking going on, but the quality of it is usually very low. Therefore from my expierence it is much more annoying to command on NA servers. And probably more stressful for beginners.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is not uncommon for Americans, like myself, to all think they know better. We have a saying, "Too many cheifs and not enough indians" that describes this common problem.

The silly thing is that most of them want to be a backseat leader but are rarely willing to actually lead. This applies to commanding in NS2 and most aspects of American culture in my opinion.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have to concur with the NA vs EU thing. The backseat commanding is much worse on NA, but I think it's more likely due to the language barriers between Europeans, than a big culture difference. When I'm commanding on russian servers, people love to backseat command as well, they just do it in russian so I just tend to mute that right away.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is the funny thing about NA pub in comparison to EU Pub: Although the skillaverage in NA is way lower than EU most people in NA tend to think they know the game perfectly and are the most badass veterans this game has ever seen.
  • TriggerHappyBroTriggerHappyBro Ohio Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217383Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited September 2017
    What you've just described is called the Dunning-Kruger effect.
  • HobbesonHobbeson New York Join Date: 2015-12-04 Member: 209723Members
    Don't believe these filthy eurobabblers, they are just jealous of our high quality NA pubs. I like TA.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What you've just described is called the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Yes and no. It often has little to do with supiority. It is like how people talk about politics. People speak as if the decision makers are always wrong, and that they know what they should do. Americans seem to go out of their way to be vocal about what you are doing wrong, but they don't have a solution. The dunning Kruger effect is when they give you a solution but it is not a good one. This is not exclusively an American trait, we just seem to do it to the extreme.

The dunning Kruger effect is quite common in NS2 also.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Rammler wrote: »
    That is the funny thing about NA pub in comparison to EU Pub: Although the skillaverage in NA is way lower than EU most people in NA tend to think they know the game perfectly and are the most badass veterans this game has ever seen.
    Hobbeson wrote: »
    Don't believe these filthy eurobabblers, they are just jealous of our high quality NA pubs. I like TA.

Can't we just settle this the good old fashioned way with a EU vs NA match.
    I'm sure both sides still have plenty of excellent players to form a team, someone might be able to cast this. Might bring some life into the currently sad state of ns2.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    Rammler wrote: »
    Hobbeson wrote: »

Can't we just settle this the good old fashioned way with a EU vs NA match.
    I'm sure both sides still have plenty of excellent players to form a team, someone might be able to cast this. Might bring some life into the currently sad state of ns2.

You'll have to select random pubbers, though, otherwise it won't be representative. Also probably play a bunch of games, not just one.

I'm sure Nordic will gladly evaluate the data we gather :D